I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just recently got this card. $500 SUB when you spend $4500 in 150 days. I have had bank accounts with them but they were all closed, only open for bank bonuses. Had to wait to see if I was approved and then I was approved with a $500 credit limit.... I called them and they said they would have to do another hard pull and within a few days my credit limit increased to $10,000. So, I just finished the spend on that card as I was able to put my Mortgage on their thru Plastiq.

I have Aruba booked for January (before kids head back to college). Used AA 15,000 pts each way so 120,000 points total. I had a bunch of Marriott points. Have 2 nights at the Renaissance and 3 nights at the Stellaris Hotel. (Could not get all 5 nights at Stellaris so broke it up). Since I had extra AA Points and Marriott points - I used them and now my Brother, SIL and Niece are joining us.
I loved Aruba! And the Renaissance is actually really fun also. Our 2 favorite things were the jolly pirates snorkeling trip and renting a Jeep to see the donkey sanctuary, and the natural pools and caves in Arikok national park.

Hello Brian, if this is the Hilton I'm thinking it is, I think your UR strategy is right on the money. It will enable you to get the 5th night free benefit, plus the cash price is quite a bit higher than the perceived cost of your points, so you are still winning.

The other aspect is variable pricing. There are 90k rooms now. They might not be there for long and the other room options seem to be outrageously priced in points - I thought I was looking at the cost for multiple days! I'd get it booked asap.

I feel your pain on the pop up. I got it for the recent Hilton Biz card, and it threw me for a loop, but then Chase came by and threw some UR's in my lap with my 7/24 approval.

If it's not the room, disregard and good luck to you.

You're right Judique. It's the Ocean City Hilton, just a few blocks north of the Hyatt you and I spoke about a couple months back (I'm starting to think I should just go back there for a much better value, but my kids want to try something different).

Think I'm going to lock this in like you said. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid.

You're right Judique. It's the Ocean City Hilton, just a few blocks north of the Hyatt you and I spoke about a couple months back (I'm starting to think I should just go back there for a much better value, but my kids want to try something different).

Think I'm going to lock this in like you said. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid.
Sounds like a pretty good plan though I’d wonder why your DW got the pop up if she has no Amex (and didn’t have that card in the past either). Could there have been a typo on the application?

FYI - CF and CFU support links can now show the increased $200 (20,000 UR) offer.

You will need to generate a new link to show this offer and update your info on DISchurners please.

This still isn't a great use of a 5/24 slot, BUT it could make sense in 2 player mode if you are cross-supporting since you get both sides of the bonus.

@Andysol I think I recall you mentioning Hilton in Tokyo being able to charge Disney tix to your room. Do you (or anyone else with insight) think Hilton Los Angeles might do that for Universal tix?
ETA Nevermind, it’s not a resort and there is not one close

OTOH there is a Hilton Resort 10 minutes from my house, wonder if I could manage to spend $250 there?

Last edited:
FYI - CF and CFU support links can now show the increased $200 (20,000 UR) offer.

You will need to generate a new link to show this offer and update your info on DISchurners please.

This still isn't a great use of a 5/24 slot, BUT it could make sense in 2 player mode if you are cross-supporting since you get both sides of the bonus.
Also additional note - if you're doing the "cross-support" method: CFU is the better play:
  • CFU: 20,000 Bonus + 10,000 Support = 30,000 URs for $500 MSR
  • CF: 20,000 Bonus + 5,000 Support = 25,000 URs for $500 MSR
It's still not great, but warrants consideration probably by some people.

I’m pages behind but just saw this promo from Plastiq:

Email subject: Get 1x - 2x back

Here’s how it works, from September 11th to September 26th you can make a single payment in any or all of the categories below and earn up to 72,000 FFDs. The Plastiq FFDs will be applied to customer accounts on October 15th or earlier (customers will be notified via email to confirm the FFDs have been credited).

(1x) For domestic check, wire, or ACH payments: make a single payment of at least $2,000, and Plastiq will credit you 2,000 FFDs.

I think it's worth it. The Hyatt is nice on low key trips, but that Hilton has the zero entry kids pool with slide and sort of a little water park, same as the 17th Street Holiday Inn and Suites. I think the same parent company must own them both as they have a very similar style, although the Hilton is quite a bit newer. Plus it's also elevated so you get a nice breeze. Your kids will love it! I was working up to collecting points for it also, but got the pop up. This won't stop me and I'll still do it just not this summer! And at $900 for 180k with the 5th night - that's $350 a night if someone were to buy ALL the points. Almost reasonable I'd say!

Sounds like a pretty good plan though I’d wonder why your DW got the pop up if she has no Amex (and didn’t have that card in the past either). Could there have been a typo on the application?

I doubt it's a typo as I have tried twice with a month between and got the pop-up both times. It makes zero sense why she would get the pop-up. She has had 2 AMEX cards in her whole life, only one of which had a SUB. So frustrating!

@Brian4891 seconding @speedyfishy it seems since the elevated Hilton offers this summer they really amped up the pop-ups on those cards! You may be able to get an MR card instead to turn into Hilton points. You may try putting your info and your wifes info into cardmatch to see if you get any elevated offers like the 100k plat as well since neither of you have MR cards.

Thanks! Will look into this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!