I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to do the math, but my gut feeling is you won't be able to stream very many half hour shows before you hit the 100 GB limit.
I really don't think you're going to do better than $38/month with DirecTV. It's been years since I've had them, but I was always able to negotiate further discounts whenever a promotion ran out - they would always discount deeply to avoid losing a customer. If that's still the case, that's your best bet.

We haven't used Sling in a while because it was far and away the worst streaming TV option - loads of buffering and disconnects. Hulu TV is ok, Playstation Vue is great, Youtube TV is quite good. All of those options are more than what you're paying for DirecTV, though. From what I recall, each streaming service had its own agreements with local channels, and I think PSVue was the only one we could get that had them all (and it was of course the most expensive). And also, a quick Google search tells me streaming services can range from 1 - 3 GB per hour of HD TV, so unless you are planning to stream in SD only, you'll eat through that 100 GB pretty fast.

I think your best bet is sticking with DirecTV and negotiating the best discount you can get by threatening to cancel so you don't risk racking up tons of overage charges if your DH really has the TV on all the time. If you do decide to switch to a streaming service, at least get an antenna. Antennas are a whole 'nother rabbit hole when it comes to cutting your TV service, and given you're out in the country you're probably gonna need a big antenna, but there are options. Check out TV Fool. It lets you put in your address and tells you exactly what kind of antenna you will need for the channels you want. You'll probably need a pretty high-powered antenna you can put in a high place, maybe in the attic or bonus points if you can mount it to your roof. You may or may not also need a signal amplifier - this takes some trial and error.

Oh yeah, this is taking me back. Good luck if you decide to go the streaming route! I can help if you have questions, I got way into this stuff. We are lucky right now because FiOS is included in our rent at our current apartment, but if/when we move the FiOS is getting dumped and we're going back to streaming/antenna.

Thanks for the input! So far we've never even had a problem bumping up against 50, but we do limit our viewing a little more since we have Directv too. 1 GB per 1 hour is pretty standard for us. Directv has given me $35/mo off because I complained about something last year, but I don't see them doing it again this year. I'm just hoping there's some sort of super low package I can go to if need be. I do need to look into the antenna too. My mom has one, so I know it works well around here. It would really be nice if I could just cut DH back on the tv watching some lol.

I would love to get that card, but I can't do another MSR right now. I've done 6 MSR's since March with no MS. I have one more to complete by Oct 30th. Four of the cards had MSR's under 2k. It was pretty easy. I had a cruise, property taxes, income taxes and a trip to WDW to pay for. The Hilton Biz has a big MSR and I don't have any big spend items until January. That's when I start paying on next years trips, taxes etc. I'm hoping to find a good business card offer around Dec. In March I'll be 4/24. It will be time to try for my first CIP.

I'm also a P1, but I like it that way. My dh is really into the stock market and likes to day trade. This is my own little hobby. My teenagers have become my employees this Summer.

I had my older DD send me a referral and I think it's a 4 month MSR, so that will make it possible to do 5K. I'll do a 1K utility payment, a couple of insurance premiums and that will bring me up to about 3K, then the rest will be organic spend on some grocery store items which may include buying up some more disney gift cards for dvc dues and maybe getting some gas points in the process (just hoping).

While I haven't stayed there I can't imagine they wouldn't hold your luggage. It's the type of place I'd expect it.
I agree with @afan . We're checking out of the swan tomorrow and will definitely be having them hold our bags while we're in the parks. Our flight is at 6pm. So I can be a positive DP for you tomorrow just to ease your mind :)

I'd imagine they will too. Just wasn't certain. Would be happy to hear your experience tomorrow. Our last stay there, we had an early flight out and had a shuttle set up ahead of time for round trip, so we didnt think to ask about luggage.

I've been watching auto train fares - I would want a sleeper - and the cheap ones go fast. By the time I figure out what day, the higher prices are all that are left. They did have a buy 1 get one last month, but I didn't have a committed companion to book for, so I let it go. I have the boa amtrak card and have a nice bunch of points right now, and I'm hanging onto them, sort of hoarding them. The other 'problem' is the price of transporting the vehicle has jumped, kind of negating the savings over having a rental. The actual coach fare has remained pretty stable. Almost as easy/inexpensive to go out of Union Station and get a rental there. Or use Uber/Lyft. Amtrak is not a budget way to get to Florida at least on auto train. But if you don't like to fly and don't want to drive, it is definitely an option.

Thanks, I just want to take the train some time, to see how I like it. I would be solo. Always figured a sleeper car, but when it cost twice what airfare would be, I back down. Actually I usually drive it straight through. Costs the same as airfare, but less hassle. Even with TSA PreCheck and thousands of hours in the air, I would rather sit in the car by myself for 13 hours than fly a half day. Sad, eh?

Roughly how little could a sleeper car be had for, if one were lucky (buy early, off season, etc.)?

@wendow switching to Pop from CSR Tower for my first night next month! I recently decided to do DHS that night so I wasn’t going to get any real use out of that room anyway- thanks for inspiring me to take a look at other options! Excited to try a new hotel! :)
We’ve stayed at CS as well. It’s a really pretty resort but just huge. If you are just sleeping there and not planning on pool time or hanging out much at the resort, I’d switch to Pop and save some money. The outside of Pop still feels like a value but the rooms don’t. I’m picky about beds and the Pop bed was super comfy!
We stayed at Pop and CSR in May and June. We loved the beds and layout at Pop and while the little bit of extra room at CSR was nice (we had an air mattress), the resort itself didn’t do it for me. I found the public areas of the room buildings bland - they looked like a retirement community and it was SO huge that it was obnoxious trying to get anywhere even though we had a preferred room. I do have to say that the new restaurant in the middle of the lake was the best value for a meal plus one of the top meals we’ve had at a resort. The sangria was so good!

Thanks, I just want to take the train some time, to see how I like it. I would be solo. Always figured a sleeper car, but when it cost twice what airfare would be, I back down. Actually I usually drive it straight through. Costs the same as airfare, but less hassle. Even with TSA PreCheck and thousands of hours in the air, I would rather sit in the car by myself for 13 hours than fly a half day. Sad, eh?
Omg you are opposite to me. I much prefer to fly than drive. Sit around and read my book, have a glass of wine, rinse and repeat... :rotfl2: I find it less stressful despite sometimes coming at additional travel time/cost.

Omg you are opposite to me. I much prefer to fly than drive. Sit around and read my book, have a glass of wine, rinse and repeat... :rotfl2: I find it less stressful despite sometimes coming at additional travel time/cost.

But I sit in the car reading my book and sipping wine, too :D (just kidding)

Maybe with travel rewards, first class treatment, and lounge passes, more flying is in my future, tho

I'd imagine they will too. Just wasn't certain. Would be happy to hear your experience tomorrow. Our last stay there, we had an early flight out and had a shuttle set up ahead of time for round trip, so we didnt think to ask about luggage.
Yes, both Swan & Dolphin will hold your luggage. Take it to bell services and they will tag everything and give you a receipt.

We’ve stayed at CS as well. It’s a really pretty resort but just huge. If you are just sleeping there and not planning on pool time or hanging out much at the resort, I’d switch to Pop and save some money. The outside of Pop still feels like a value but the rooms don’t. I’m picky about beds and the Pop bed was super comfy!
I really like CSR. We used to always stay deluxe, but the prices have gotten ridiculous. The refurbed rooms at CSR are really nice, and now has the added bonus of the tower with indoor corridors. It has all the amenities of a deluxe. The only thing missing is the location and a balcony.
I agree the rooms at Pop are a big improvement over the old ones and the gondola is a big plus.

Roughly how little could a sleeper car be had for, if one were lucky (buy early, off season, etc.)?

Now it looks like $204 for a car and $265 for a roomette is the least. I haven't checked every date. So $469. Prices have jumped. That $469 was just under $400 last winter. The sale price seems to usually be on the coach seat, which can be had as low as $89 to $95, and then you add the car price of $204 to that. So no discounts on privacy ie a roomette, unless you had a companion and caught last month's sale.

You are not alone in not wanting to sit on a plane for a half day, no matter what your reason. I will fly if I have to, but much prefer to drive. I don't do straight through. Usually stay overnight in Florence, Savannah, Jacksonville or even Hilton Head when I feel like it. I've driven solo quite often, but I prefer to have company. My kids are grown and not always available now for the Disney trips.

I really like CSR. We used to always stay deluxe, but the prices have gotten ridiculous. The refurbed rooms at CSR are really nice, and now has the added bonus of the tower with indoor corridors. It has all the amenities of a deluxe. The only thing missing is the location and a balcony.
I agree the rooms at Pop are a big improvement over the old ones and the gondola is a big plus.
I have rather high expectations for Gran Destino. My main issue with CSR for longer stays was how spread out it was, the Tower fixes that. And my 2nd issue was the motel feel of outdoor facing doors. Fixing those leaves distance from the parks but if you want it all that’s what a Deluxe is for!

We stayed in a refurbed CS room as well. It was very, very nice! If I was staying for very long, I would choose CS over Pop but for one night, when you are only sleeping in the room, I'd choose the money savings and stay at Pop. I would love to try the tower rooms at CS!

Here's my review of SWGE from our preview today! I posted some pictures in this post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/share-your-story-from-visiting-swge.3751432/post-60970346
We got to the park around 7:20 am. We drove our own car and got to park really close to the front. We were in a group waiting for security to open which only took about 5-10 minutes (we were maybe 10 people back in our line). After that, they held us at the turnstiles. When we went through here I thought it was like 7:30-7:45 am and we had to scan our fingerprint and magicband. Everyone was let into the park, not just APs. They held us right next to Indiana Jones and we began walking towards SWGE around 8 am where they held us again. Seeing a trend lol? At this point there were umbrellas with CMs. We had to show our IDs, APs, and our confirmation email (ours was printed out). A cm then said if we were doing Oga’s or Savi’s we needed to head right to a different set of umbrellas where they gave us our return time for Oga’s. We got 9 am and they told us to show up 10 minutes before that.

Once they finally started letting people into the land we were walked as a big group towards SR. Dh and I broke off from the pack and went to Oga’s first. This was at 8:40 ish and we were led right in. We were sat at a booth with three other couples and it was really great. Everyone was in a good mood and we all talked about where we came from. Dh and I each ordered 2 drinks: Blue Bantha, Hyperdrive, Jedi Mind Trick, and Fuzzy Tauntaun. We had asked beforehand if we could see all of the drinks because breakfast doesn’t have many options and that was no problem. Our CM brought out the lunch/dinner menu. The Blue Bantha was just okay, not something I would get again. I LOVED the Hyperdrive drink. Dh said the Jedi Mind Trick was just okay, but he liked the Fuzzy Tauntaun. DJ Rex wasn’t working which kind of stunk. Dh said the cantina was his favorite place in SWGE. It has a really fun vibe and will be even better once Rex is working.

When we finished at the cantina, we found some photopass photographers. Our first one was up near Docking Bay 7 looking down on the MF. We got some really good pictures there. I don’t think any of them were magic shots. We then went to make our droid at 9:30 am. That was one of my favorite parts of the day. We made an R-unit and didn’t have to wait at all. They were all out of the backpacks which was a big bummer. The carrying case is awkward to carry around in the park, but we made it work. It was really funny to see what our droid reacted to in the land. We didn’t buy a personality chip because we wanted to see what he would do on his own.

It was then time for us to ride SR. We actually waited because the wait time was at 55 minutes earlier, but when we got there at 10:15 am it was only 25 minutes. The lady in front of me timed it and I think it was only 20 minutes. We both got Engineer which is super boring. I don’t see the ride being very fun unless you get pilot. Even then, it might be a one and done for me. The Hondo animatronic was working when we went through the que. I’m sad for those that didn’t get to see him. After SR, we went and got in line for Dok Ondar’s and waited 5-10 minutes there to go inside. This was at around 11:05 am. The inside of the store is cool, but crowded because a lot of people were in line for lightsabers. We only stayed there for about 10 minutes. I really liked the taxidermy wall, though.

Our next stop was through the marketplace to try some popcorn. Dh and I both agreed we didn’t hate it, but wouldn’t get it again. For me it was the slight spice on it that I didn’t like. Dh just isn’t a huge popcorn person. One of the CMs in that line told us to head to the water fountains further down and our droid reacted to the tank above which was fun. Even the bathrooms in SWGE are themed with cool looking sinks. After the marketplace we wound back around towards the milk stand. I got in line for the green milk while Dh got in a photopass line. I really really liked the green milk and I was so surprised by that. It was more slushy than the blue bantha we had and that’s one reason why I liked it more. I can’t really describe the taste. I would say try both because no one seems to have the same opinions.

We finished the milk and pictures and walked over to Docking Bay 7 for lunch. The line was out the door and around the corner so we waited about 20 minutes for that. I found a table once we got inside and Dh stood in the line the rest of the time. I ordered the kids tip-yip meal and it was decent. The chunk of chicken was a little odd, but I liked the mac and cheese and the broccoli was really good. Dh ordered the Kaadu ribs and kept finding bones (or gristle?) in them. The ribs were spicy so I didn’t like them. He said he would rather order something else next time.

By this time it was around 12:30 pm and we were ready to go. We got one more picture and I did some things on the Play app before we walked out. I wanted to make sure we were gone by 1 pm since that’s when our time ended. Overall, we had a blast! It was GREAT to experience this with so few people and all people who you know enjoy Star Wars. The land is very immersive and they have a lot of fun foods and drinks to try.

Final notes: The CMs were all great and in character. We loved listening to them tell us about the land or where they’re from. A lot of them gave advice with our droid and the Play app. The Play app was one of my favorite parts of being there (Dh wasn’t into it). I did a lot of hacking and I think I was practically the only First Order member there lol. It was fun to scan cargo and add things to my inventory.

Last edited:
I have rather high expectations for Gran Destino. My main issue with CSR for longer stays was how spread out it was, the Tower fixes that. And my 2nd issue was the motel feel of outdoor facing doors. Fixing those leaves distance from the parks but if you want it all that’s what a Deluxe is for!
We stayed in a refurbed CS room as well. It was very, very nice! If I was staying for very long, I would choose CS over Pop but for one night, when you are only sleeping in the room, I'd choose the money savings and stay at Pop. I would love to try the tower rooms at CS!
I've only stayed at CSR once, but I loved it! It was when the tower construction was very new and my only request was a refurbished room. I got Cabanas 8A and loved the room and the location! It was a short walk to the pool (too cold in December) and El Centro. Pepper Market (RIP) was also very tasty. I got pretty lucky with the busses, but I could see why that could be a downer with multiple stops. It is one of the smaller Mods besides POFQ and I would definitely stay there again. I got a "magical" rate during construction and it is the lowest I have ever paid for a Disney resort. I love following the construction. Cute pins and low rates. Win, win!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your night at Pop. We stayed there not long after the room refurb was done and we LOVED the new room design. I agree that the beds were comfy. I'm hoping to get a refurb room on our upcoming few nights at Movies since the design is basically the same.
We tend to lean toward mods. We haven't tried CBR yet, but have enjoyed CSR, POR and POFQ a lot. We actually like the how spread out POR and CSR are because it feels less busy and crowded to us, although having a room in a building super far from the main buildings can be a bit of a pain. Lots of times we have used the buses to get from our section of the resorts to the front for the food court or lobby. The PO resorts are our favs and I'm bummed to hear about your bad experiences at POR. That's where we have stayed the most and always had awesome experiences.

Sorry to hear about DS's accident, but it sounds like he was a real trooper. Thank goodness it was just bruised ribs rather than broken.

The spiders at Swan :oops:....OMG! I have a very irrational, but completely debilitating fear of spiders. I know there's a chance to see them anywhere since they are pretty much everywhere, but now I can't get this out of my head.:scared: Hope i can forget about it before we spend our 2 nights there in a few weeks.

So I bought tickets for the 8/30 MNSSHP for me and DH. We were going to choose something else since we wont have DS on this trip, but I'm actually kind of excited about doing the party as just adults as we were there with family last time so we had 3 kids in tow. The primary focus for them was the candy, then rides. I feel like we missed out on lots of party exclusive stuff that we will be able to focus on more this time around. We completely missed the fireworks show last time, so it's high on my list this time. Reading the new show is very projection heavy, so I really want a good viewing spot for it. Toying with the idea to spring for the dessert party with plaza garden viewing. Thoughts? Do y'all think that would be a waste of party time?

DH and I are trying to figure out how we want to get back to MCO on our Swan checkout day. We have a 7 pm flight so we want to hit DS that day. We thought about uber or lyft from Swan to MCO, but I'm not sure if Swan would hold our luggage while in DS. Also thought about renting a car 1 way and just driving it to DS for the day.
So here is our luggage story...We were having our luggage transferred from Pop to POR. When we checked in at POR, I asked the CM about the internal busing. We'd stayed at CS and mastered the busing there for getting around inside the resort. The curmugeon CM told us that *any* bus we got on at the West Depot would eventually get around to the lobby. So, we are waiting on our luggage. Hours have ticked by and we got rained out from the pool but we still had a dinner reservation at T-Rex that we wanted to meet but we wanted our luggage to change clothes. Dh calls bell services and they still haven't gotten our luggage from Pop. Apparently lightning shuts down luggage transfers. About 30 mins later, bell services calls and they have our luggage but cannot bring it to our room due to, you guessed it, lightning. So, dh tells the CM we are coming to get our luggage. We head to the West Depot remembering that *any* bus will take us to the lobby. Get on the first bus that pulls up and it a DS bus. We are going around all the stops and then right as the lobby would be next stop, the bus turns to go into POFQ. I ask the bus driver and she says the DS bus goes by the lobby first and then makes it's way through the resort stops. I explain the CM told us that any bus would take us to the lobby and she says that isn't correct 😩 So, we get off at POFQ and walk back to POR and go to bell services. I'm telling the CM there what happened and she says there really is no internal bus loop at POR like there is at CS and each bus has a different loop they follow. She said to ask each driver what their stops would be, before getting on, if wanting to use the bus as an internal bus loop. After that we were too nervous to try that so we just walked, in what seemed like rain and lightning, everywhere.

I have a paralyzing fear of spiders so I get it. I have encountered a lot of bugs in FL but seeing spiders at Swan was not something I ever expected. Someone needs to do better pest control :(

We took a Lyft from Swan to MCO, With tip it was $47. Swan will store you luggage while you go to DS.

Last edited:
I've only stayed at CSR once, but I loved it! It was when the tower construction was very new and my only request was a refurbished room. I got Cabanas 8A and loved the room and the location! It was a short walk to the pool (too cold in December) and El Centro. Pepper Market (RIP) was also very tasty. I got pretty lucky with the busses, but I could see why that could be a downer with multiple stops. It is one of the smaller Mods besides POFQ and I would definitely stay there again. I got a "magical" rate during construction and it is the lowest I have ever paid for a Disney resort. I love following the construction. Cute pins and low rates. Win, win!
We stayed there last July during construction and got a great rate, too! The pins in the room were a nice touch and saved us from buying them in the gift shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!