I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not laughing at you! Laughing at the logistics. You might try calling after a couple of weeks or call if you have a purchase that exceeds and try to get it raised a bit. Or raised a lot, lol. $500 would make me feel as if I were still in high school.

I know!! All the other cards I get have $20,000 to $30,000 credit limits. Heck even DS20 just got the CIP with a $5,000 limit. So ridiculous

:offtopic:

I have an internet hotspot through Sprint that we use for internet at home since our options are so limited out here in the country. I have a 50 GB/mo plan with them for $55/mo. I contacted them on chat today because our actual device has been messed up. They let me know that they have a new plan now of 100 GB/mo for $65!! Exciting stuff for us country folk as that means more ability to stream tv shows! I think we might even be able to buy something like Firestick and use that. I have a pretty sweet discount going with Directv right now ($38/mo) until November, but I'm hoping maybe I can cut it or at least seriously cut my package down then. DH loves tv and is the type to come home and turn it out for background noise, which I hate. I think having a streaming service only deal would make us (him) be much more deliberate in not just turning on reruns of Boston Legal for the 8th time. I've heard services like Sling are good for local channels. Any input here?

Alrighty, I've unpacked, done so many loads of laundry that my house smells of Tide and Bounce and I've had a very short but sweet nap and so I'm ready to share some thoughts on this last trip. The good, the bad and the not-so-pretty :crazy:...I apologize for the length of this post.

We stayed 10 nights - 1 Pop, 4 POR, 5 Swan - two rooms at each resort as we are a fam of 6. I booked Pop using an AP discount (yep, went for it!) even though we did not upgrade to AP's until the day we checked out of Pop. I booked POR & Swan using AA miles. I made connecting rooms my ONLY request at every resort.

We checked into Pop at 2am and received connecting rooms. We'd never stayed at Pop and we were very impressed. The refurbed rooms with queen beds are very nice. I cannot complain about a single thing. I don't love the values but if I was needing to save some cash, I could definitely stay there for a few nights. My family agreed. We liked it! We checked out at 11am and took our luggage down to Bell Services. Um, hello holy guacamole line! It wrapped around the building. Normally, baggage transfer line takes about 2 mins. This was the first of many long lines we would wait in. We left the luggage and caught a bus to Epcot so we could transfer to POR. Should have taken a Lyft but it's been a couple years since we've been at WDW and we have forgotten just how long everything takes :crazy2:

We are waiting for the POR bus at Epcot when I get the texts for our rooms at POR. Excitedly, I look at the room numbers and realize they are not connecting. In fact, they are not even next door. In fact, they are on different floors. I start to panic. My dh assures me that this is Disney and they will make it right. I remind dh about how our luck with room requests go at Disney. Basically, we usually don't get our room requests so we just ask for connecting. We've only not received that once and that time it was at the Poly. We had to be in non-connecting rooms for one night and then they moved us to the dvc studios and those were connecting. The Poly CM went out of her way to make things right. My dh assures me POR will do the same. WRONG! Ugh, most unmagical CM ever. She was a curmugeony CM. Not a single smile in the 30 mins we spent with her. Basically, it was all my fault because I booked two different room categories through "expedia". I booked a Q/Q and a K room both with the murphy bed (which I paid more points for). My paperwork did not show these being different room categories but she insisted they were and that there was no way they would have ever been connecting. I told her I called Disney and asked only for connecting rooms and she said that could never have happened. Why didn't Disney tell me this? She didn't know but it was my fault for booking through "expedia". I explained that we were traveling with 4 kids but one was an adult and we could be in adjoining rooms. Nope. I pleaded with her about how we packed 6 people's clothing in 5 suitcases and our things were all mixed up and it would be a huge chore to be spread far apart. Nope, your fault for booking with "expedia". I asked if we could be booked to a different resort. She told me we'd have to pay the difference and I asked her to call around. Only thing she could get was Pirates rooms at CBR (double beds) and we said no thanks. So we were given rooms on different floors and completely opposite sides of the building in the farthest building. I wanted to cry and then I did in the POR lobby. We were tired, it was raining on what was supposed to be a pool day, and now we are not in connecting rooms. I remind myself that nothing can steal my joy if I don't let it and that we will be okay. Once we get our luggage we unpack in dd's and ds10's room and then move it all to our room to unpack. Major hassle? yep.

Major take away. If you book with AA miles, I'd call to check on the room categories.

Bugs. I hate them, y'all. Some rank higher than others but we've never had much bug issues at Disney. We had a June bug in one POR and a bonafide **** roach in the other. I was disgusted by the **** roach.

This was our second stay at POR and I think we are done with them. The first time wasn't great but was years ago and I was really less than impressed this time. The only thing I will give them kudos for is an accident we had. We had tried to go to the pool and lightning closed the pool (this was almost daily) so once the storm moved on, my ds's were playing on the POR playground that is right by the pool. It was wet and ds10 was running. He slipped and fell on his back/side onto a step. I was standing a bit away from the playground b/c my dh was laying in the hammock. I heard the fall and it was hard. Heard my ds start screaming/wind knocked out sound and I ran over to him. He was deathly pale. I yelled to dh and he ran up the slide to the top where ds10 was. It was very obvious he had the wind knocked out of him but his pain and inability to breathe were not going away. After 30 mins or so, he was still in a lot of pain and not able to take a deep breath. A facilities CM drove by at about that time and asked if he was okay. Dh was still sitting with him at the top of the playground cause my ds was not able to move much. The facilities CM said to alert a lifeguard so we did. He put in a call and we had like 10 people from POR staff and management on us immediately. They called an ambulance so paramedics came to evaluate. It was nice to have such support in a scary time. The conclusion was that this was most likely bruised ribs vs. broken ribs and going to the hospital would be pointless as there isn't much for even broken ribs, especially for kids. We decided to see how ds did through the night, which was made even harder in separate rooms. POR arranged for a wheelchair should we need it for our park days. My ds is still pretty sore in his side and back but we made it through the parks. Some rides like SDD and space hurt but it never stopped him from wanting to ride.

Last resort was Swan. Went to check in and they also did not have our request for connecting rooms in their system (even though I called!!!!!) but could accommodate us in a variety of ways. We ultimately chose adjoining rooms because of the nice upgrade to resort views and bigger rooms. These rooms were great! We could see HS and EP fireworks from our room. Plenty of space. I loved the food options and even though we had to walk from Swan to Dolphin for everything, it was a teeny walk after being at POR. The only issues there was 1) housekeeping. We had declined it for 500 marriott rewards and were supposed to get it on the 3rd day. Well, we had our 'do not disturb' up for about 2 hours and they tried to come during that time and then just left a note saying 'sorry we missed you'. But then didn't come the next day either. So confused. Basically 5 nights and never any housekeeping. Problem 2) Spiders. I am phobic. Like super phobic and we found one in each room as well as one in the hall outside our room. My dh is good at not telling me cause he knows I get so scared but I saw 2 of the 3 and then couldn't sleep. I can deal with roaches and june bugs much better than spiders. Otherwise, Swan was lovely. Price is so much better than even a Disney value, for our time period, and we loved the location. Beware of the ducks though. They bite! One bit my ds8 in the lip. He's proud of that fact though so definitely not a knock on Swan lol.

Reason why I never ever want to go in August again - Surface of the sun hot and crowd level 8. When we first planned these dates, no day was higher than a 6 and there was only one of those. Instead this ended up being a 6-8 level trip. Between the heat and crowds, I felt like we were seeing the worst of humanity. Those things don't bring out the best in anyone. Me included. I got so tired of people pushing and shoving past us, cutting off my family entering a line and us graciously allowing them ahead of the three of us who were ahead of them only for them to then bring in 5 family members ahead of all of us. This happened more times than I can count. Just lots of pushy and rude people.

We are still looking forward to our next trip but hoping to go when it is cooler. I can do crowds or heat but not both and I think crowds are now ever present so we can only try to go in better weather :)
Oh my goodness, definitely an unforgettable trip. I am glad DS10 is ok!! How scary. Sounds like he is a trooper though. I had to laugh at DS8 getting bit on the lip by a duck, lol. Those ducks at the Swan are no joke! My DD was scared and ran from them. The bug thing...yea, I'm right there with you. Ugh. I'm glad you still had a good time and thanks for sharing your experience. I am surprised at that POR CM. I would have been upset too to be separated like that.

Yes- you could get all of those in one month. In fact, many of us got multiple variations of the platinum (Ameriprise, Morgan Stanley, Charles Schwabb, Biz and Regular) at the end of last year to take advantage of triple dipping the airline credit. You’ll have to call as they’ll kick out for duplicate applications, but they manually push them through.

Ok very intrigued by this. I assume you have to have investment accounts and investments at each of those, I will look into the regs around that. So the app would be denied because it appears to them that you already have the Plat even though this is a different variety? Is that a denial or the dreaded popup? But a phone call would hopefully push it through?

Ok, I need some help...I've spent the afternoon researching some speculative trips to various locations trying to get an idea of how many points we would need for air, hotels, etc in each location so I can mentally think "maybe next year here" or "umm, that's going to take several years worth of stashing to get to". One of those places that I've looked is trying to do a trip where we hit 2-3 cities in Great Britain. My question is - is there any secret to booking family rooms in hotels in Europe, specifically Great Britain? I can find point availability in just about any city I choose but all I can find are rooms for 2 people. We are a family of 4 and we can do 2 in each room in 2 rooms if thats what we have to do but I'd rather not. Occasionally I can find family rooms but the ones I can find are already sold one a year in advance. Just wondering if there is a secret to getting the family size rooms? Or do they do connecting rooms over there like we do in the US? Sorry but the last time I was in London I was a senior in HS and I do remember us being in single beds in the room but I don't think I even thought about why that was at the time.

Ok. So I applied for the US bank business card last week. $500 cash for $4500 spend in like 120 days or something like that. Need to apply for 2 SW cards end of the year so laying low with Chase. I got the we will let you know message.

Got the email today that I was approved!! Yeah. Only with. $500 credit limit. What in tarnation am I supposed to do with that. Was planning on making a mortgage payment and some tuition and be done. Now that won’t work. I can still do the tuition but not much left to be paid. Will have to do $500 at a time and wait until payment goes through and do it again. Or Venmo to my kind kids.

Will this work if spending and paying off right away and spending again. $500 limit is a joke. I did at one time have a bank account for the bonus but closed it so I’m sure that is probably part of the reason. But seriously!!
Is your biz legit in that you can back it up with business licenses and tax documents? If so you could call and try to appeal to raise the limit. If not I would stay quiet, and cycle the limit- they literally haven’t given you any other choice.

I guess he's gonna start feeling "sick" late afternoon :D

I would go ahead and get to airport as early as possible and see if you could catch that earlier flight (which might be delayed even more). And I wouldn't count on your flight being late. Once I was notified of delay, so I took it easy stopped for a drink, moseyed to gate, and was the last one on just before closing doors. They were able to leave earlier than their delayed time!

So yesterday my husband did start feeling "not so great" and left work at 4pm. I missed his text telling me this, so he scared the crap out of me as I walked out of the shower and there he was! This was at 4:40pm ish. The 6:30pm flight at that point was delayed til 8:25pm so since he was home, I called jetblue and was able to get the last 2 seats on that flight! I figured if it got moved up and we missed it, seats had been opening on the later flight (with everyone moving to the earlier options) and we could switch back.

We were in an uber at 5:30pm, at ewr at 6:35pm, and the flight ended up getting pushed to 8:49pm, which was our original departure time. Our original flight ended up leaving at about 9:50pm landing at 12:20am. We landed at about 11:20pm. So it ended up working out. Uber to swan and got to sleep around 1:30am.

We were up bright and early (6:30am) for our 9am preview! We had a great time! Ran into @Haley R and her husband taking some pics. And I must apologize as I do not post often and you had no idea who I was. I realized later I should have mentioned I'm the one that posted the fp drop times on our Reddit. I think that helps identify me maybe lol. Anyway, sorry if I seemed like a crazy person!

Now we're resting up. Probably going to go to kimonos for dinner then possibly try to see illuminations. We'll be back Labor Day weekend for one last shot at illuminations if we don't catch it tonight.

All thanks to credit cards and all of you wonderful people that share all of your fantastic tips and info. Couldn't do it without all of you!

So yesterday my husband did start feeling "not so great" and left work at 4pm. I missed his text telling me this, so he scared the crap out of me as I walked out of the shower and there he was! This was at 4:40pm ish. The 6:30pm flight at that point was delayed til 8:25pm so since he was home, I called jetblue and was able to get the last 2 seats on that flight! I figured if it got moved up and we missed it, seats had been opening on the later flight (with everyone moving to the earlier options) and we could switch back.

We were in an uber at 5:30pm, at ewr at 6:35pm, and the flight ended up getting pushed to 8:49pm, which was our original departure time. Our original flight ended up leaving at about 9:50pm landing at 12:20am. We landed at about 11:20pm. So it ended up working out. Uber to swan and got to sleep around 1:30am.

We were up bright and early (6:30am) for our 9am preview! We had a great time! Ran into @Haley R and her husband taking some pics. And I must apologize as I do not post often and you had no idea who I was. I realized later I should have mentioned I'm the one that posted the fp drop times on our Reddit. I think that helps identify me maybe lol. Anyway, sorry if I seemed like a crazy person!

Now we're resting up. Probably going to go to kimonos for dinner then possibly try to see illuminations. We'll be back Labor Day weekend for one last shot at illuminations if we don't catch it tonight.

All thanks to credit cards and all of you wonderful people that share all of your fantastic tips and info. Couldn't do it without all of you!
Lol I didn’t think you were crazy. It was really fun to meet people from disboards!

Ok, I need some help...I've spent the afternoon researching some speculative trips to various locations trying to get an idea of how many points we would need for air, hotels, etc in each location so I can mentally think "maybe next year here" or "umm, that's going to take several years worth of stashing to get to". One of those places that I've looked is trying to do a trip where we hit 2-3 cities in Great Britain. My question is - is there any secret to booking family rooms in hotels in Europe, specifically Great Britain? I can find point availability in just about any city I choose but all I can find are rooms for 2 people. We are a family of 4 and we can do 2 in each room in 2 rooms if thats what we have to do but I'd rather not. Occasionally I can find family rooms but the ones I can find are already sold one a year in advance. Just wondering if there is a secret to getting the family size rooms? Or do they do connecting rooms over there like we do in the US? Sorry but the last time I was in London I was a senior in HS and I do remember us being in single beds in the room but I don't think I even thought about why that was at the time.

Not sure what cities you are looking at, but we just finished a stay in a family room at the Radisson Blu Edinburgh Royal Mile. We have a family of 4, and the room had a queen and two twins.

Ok very intrigued by this. I assume you have to have investment accounts and investments at each of those, I will look into the regs around that. So the app would be denied because it appears to them that you already have the Plat even though this is a different variety? Is that a denial or the dreaded popup? But a phone call would hopefully push it through?

If you get a popup ever- that has precedence.

You should not get a pop up on multiple variations unless you’d get a popup regardless. I never have and I’m at over 20 AMEX cards this year alone (I can get into the specifics if you’d like, but I’m riding this train hard and fast as there aren’t many options). Lots of no lifetime language cards, loads of referrals between P1/2, etc. I have multiples of the same cards; but they all require speaking to a human (either through NLL application or Recon for referrals). Those, of course, get pop ups as I’m currently holding the cards.

As for the iterations, you do need a Morgan Stanley. Access investing @$5k is adequate. Ameriprise doesn’t require one. Charles Schwabb, you’ll want a free checking account with them anyway.
No fees for ATM withdrawals overseas is a total game changer. Also you’re able to cash out MR @ 1.25cpp.

I’m kind of in “advanced churner” mode as I’m out of a lot of options. I wouldn’t recommend doing what I do unless you have an enormous amount of spend or you’re out of options. Because what I do is riskier (chance for clawback because, well, AMEX) and it is also more work, to be frank. I’m having to keep timelines and make phone calls and all sorts of stuff where If I was just under 5/24, life would be much easier. :)

SWGE info and pics below in spoilers in case folks want to skip over the major off topic items.

SWGE preview was amazing. The detailing is unbelievable and the cast members were so into their backstories. Unfortunately DD wasn’t feeling well soon after we entered so we left a bit after 11 (we had the 9am slot).

She did get to build a droid which she loves and has played with non stop. We were both pilots on SR and DH was a gunner. Cool ride with lots of interaction. The queue was great too. Posted time was 45 min but I’d say it was less than 30. We saw @Haley R but I didn’t get a chance to say hello since they were a level up in the queue.

DD was dressed as Rey and a lot of the cast members stopped to talk with her. The first order troopers interrogated her as well and she loved it.

We tried the blue milk and it was really good. Almost like a blended creamsicle slushie but a more berry type flavor, not citrus.

D2DE3F0F-C4A6-4AA3-A6D8-CF58D8AE8C61.jpeg72D49CEC-1E6E-4B08-8400-53C8ED03395B.jpegDB02C5EC-49BD-4312-B200-617AF206540E.jpeg

:offtopic:

I have an internet hotspot through Sprint that we use for internet at home since our options are so limited out here in the country. I have a 50 GB/mo plan with them for $55/mo. I contacted them on chat today because our actual device has been messed up. They let me know that they have a new plan now of 100 GB/mo for $65!! Exciting stuff for us country folk as that means more ability to stream tv shows! I think we might even be able to buy something like Firestick and use that. I have a pretty sweet discount going with Directv right now ($38/mo) until November, but I'm hoping maybe I can cut it or at least seriously cut my package down then. DH loves tv and is the type to come home and turn it out for background noise, which I hate. I think having a streaming service only deal would make us (him) be much more deliberate in not just turning on reruns of Boston Legal for the 8th time. I've heard services like Sling are good for local channels. Any input here?

I don't know how to do the math, but my gut feeling is you won't be able to stream very many half hour shows before you hit the 100 GB limit.

Was trying to find out who posted the AmTrak discount post, with no luck. Went to AmTrak.com, but didn't see any mention. Decided to check FaceBook to see what's going on. Digital Exhaust to the rescue ... An AmTrak ad about the discount. Don't know whether to be happy or worried? :D

And I'm getting AmEx ads on FaceBook too. They pissed me off when I filled out a direct mailer and was denied. So far they have lost my business for the next 40 years. Maybe someday?

Last edited:
Also, we noticed the FP lines were always SOOOO long. Hasn't anyone else noticed this and have a theory why?

We noticed the same for a few rides but others were fine. Definitely a high crowd level. We were there on NYE last year and of course it wasn’t that bad but I think the FP lines were longer this time! And that heat and humidity. Wowza!! Yesterday was absolutely perfect though, especially after the rain passed. Zero humidity and a cool breeze. We were actually cool in the evening.

I’m glad your DS is doing well and thank you for the reviews of the resorts you visited.

OKW was fine but our villa didn’t have a view (tennis courts and road) but it was too hot to be out there anyway. We were lucky to get a DVC room as late as we booked so we were more than happy with it but it was several bus stops from the main buildings and way too hot to walk. When we stay there again we will definitely make sure it’s in the hospitality house category. That makes all the difference.

We visited our home resort at Wilderness twice and all agreed it’s still our favorite. So much going on but still a calm feeling. And that lobby smell :love:🌲

In Barcelona. So far it is great but so many people everywhere! DH gets panicky about that. Off to see La Sagrada Familia shortly. Had the free gold breakfast at Hilton. Fighting with DH over the room AC. He is trying to freeze me out! Saw a lot yesterday. And jet lag is so so so so real - awake all hours, ugh!

@GlamMistress What Hilton property did you stay at in Barcelona? We plan to spend 3 nights pre cruise next July and will hopefully have 130K points and free weekend night cert x2 (assuming DH isnt in pop up jail when I go to apply before it expires). If you’re near La Rambla Luzia cafe has great casual food. We stayed at the Le Meridien across the street and ate there frequently. Great thin crust pizza and real American pancakes (as my daughter called them) for breakfast.

Old lady here. Never have foot problems in Disney. Just wear flip flops, all times of the year rain or shine. Used to go all out for new tennies and would always have some discomfort. I wear crocs, nike, reebok flips and tossed the tevas. Of course I do end up with dusty toes and now I can't make fun of the young things wearing the havianas and toe rings.

Other than our Wild Africa Trek day that required closed toe shoes I wore my havianas. I even bought a new pair at the store in DS. I love how firm the soles are, similar to anti fatigue mats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!