I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but today I searched Canadian churning and apparently there is a reddit subthread (is that the correct terminology?). Of course I am not good at sorting through the info on reddit, so I didn't see if I can apply for an AmEx and Visa at the same time (if it works like in the US I should be okay since in the US AmEx reports to the bureaus after Visa), but I'm going to go ahead and give it a try.

Two cards on my list: AmEx Bonvoy (because of course!), 50,000 Bonbon points, $120.00 fee and $2,000 MSR
TD Visa Aeroplan, 25,000 Aeroplan miles and $2,000 MSR, FYF
I checked and there doesn't appear to be a AmEx Hilton card for Canada. Also seems like for business cards here you have to go the bank and show proof of business (at least for my bank, CIBC). So not sure how many business cards I'll be able to apply for. DPs suggest that AmEx allows churning on cards with multiple bonuses, but I'll have to watch this closely to make sure I am understanding correctly.
DPs also suggest that I can use dhs Aeroplan number when I apply for the TD Aeroplan card. Since he is lifetime platinum miles on his account are much more valuable than my account.

There are higher point offers out there but I have to keep in mind that I am going back to Florida in less than a month and need to be able to meet the MSRs. Hoping that I can use the cards to pay hydro (high summer a/c bills) and gas (pool heater) on the cards. The hydro bill this month is close to $1,000.00. Gas is usually $250.00 / month. I spend approx. $200.00 / week on groceries and another $150.00 / week on restaurants.

Just wanted to share my Cdn churning news with y'all! I can lay off the US cards while I do the spend up here and hit the grAAvy train when we get back to the US.

I have been stalking a flight for December for 3 months now and the price finally dropped $100 per person! The only thing is it is still about $75 more per person than I would normally spend. I don't see it dropping that amount completely, maybe $40 at most.

I am torn if I should book now because I do not want to waste URs. Am I crazy to wait thinking I could save at most 8,000 URs?! I guess the worst outcome would be it goes back up $100 per person and then I am out 20,000 URs.

Even at the movies this girl has a recliner chair. You live the life my friend! :D
I don’t see a movie without a recliner.
Hi all. It's been a rough week. I'm not even going to try to catch up at this point. MIL received a diagnosis of sarcoidosis, then went for a second opinion & received a diagnosis of lymphoma. :sad2:
I’m so sorry about your MIL. Hopes she gets a diagnosis and helpful treatment
Circle of life? No... life is a line! :rotfl2:
Life is a highway!
It was same price at AMC Hoffman $15.19 for kids and seniors, and I've not been to a movie in awhile, so now with the rush of Disney movies out and y'all talking about them, I want to go!!

I have reconsidered taking the girls as I see that it is 1hr and 58 minutes. DGD #1 did okay at Lion King in Disney but about 3 minutes from the end announced 'I want to go'. I think I'll take my cue from that as that's only 30 minutes. Now, I have to go find a friend that likes movies.
I’m cheap, so no seeing movies unless it’s a morning show and they’re $5.25 for most movies. Even with the recliner.
Update on the 30% back up to $100 at Newegg ("Select Technology Providers") Amex Offer.

7/17: Purchased $200 (w/$9.95 fee) and $100 (w/$5.95 fee) Vanilla eVGCs and a $20 Playstation eGC at Newegg. Received the Amex Great news! and Newegg confirmation emails right away. Received an email with links to the eGCs about 1.5 hrs. later.

Amex charge eventually posted dated 7/17. $100 statement credit posted dated 7/18.

7/18: "Registered" the eVGCs with my zip code. Used the two eVGCs ($300) at Sam's for two packs of the $150 Disney GCs (together priced at $289.96).

So the price of $300 eVGCs was $315.90, with 30% back of $94.77. The $300 eVGC bought $300 Disney GCs, with a balance of $10.04 left over on an eVGC.

My SC membership was about to expire, so I picked up a new membership to set up for DW from Groupon for $32, which included a $10 SC eGC and a $25 SC eGC after a first purchase of $25+ (net $3!). I paid for the SC membership voucher with a $30 Groupon eGC purchased from Gyft for 5x UR on the CIC/PayPal, and $2 on my BBP. I also went through Ebates for 8% back when shopping at Groupon and got $2.56 back in MR. I'm going to roll those $10+$25 SC eGCs with the $10.04 left on a eVGC (totaling $45.04) towards a $50 Disney GC (priced at $47.98). I'll pay for the $2.94 with one of my pile of VGCs.

7/19: Email confirmation from Sam's that the Disney GCs shipped.

:faint:
Awesome. I did similar but got Disney GCs at BJs. Amex credit finally posted today. Yay!
Along with the MS possibilities, it also allows greater stacking of deals. Looking at @Lain 's latest example with NewEgg a few posts back, you can take advantage of multiple deals with the same money. Not quite as good as GC churning but as close as we get now.
When I did the no fee $200 Visa promo I used 2 AmEx offers to get $35 off (17.5% savings) and now can use that buy other discounted GCs through Sam's or BJs and get shopping portal rebates too - in the end it should be at least 20% off and could about 25%. I could have just spent $200 on other GCs at Staples but then it would have been limited to the original savings. You could still do the stacking with the fee but obviously your savings would be lower.

It's also a way to move spend on a card that's not otherwise accepted somewhere - like the AmEx at Costco issue recently mentioned. You don't want to do Staples or OD/OM deals during an AmEx MSR but usually grocery stores are ok, so now you can get your Costco spend on to an AmEx.
Also a way to move spend on to a CC that wouldn't take a CC but might take debit. Since these are really prepaid debit cards, some places will take those for payment. For folks using Plastiq, a subset of them come up as debit cards and trigger the lower debit card fee for the service.

So there are a few reasons why you might want to use a prepaid card and getting them for free when you can is useful.
Usually I just use Amex MSR to buy VGCs so I can shop at Costco while putting all spend on Amex. I did get a Serve Card now, to use to meet MSR faster. Haven’t used it yet. 🐤🐔
You guys are scary sometimes!

Reading along since I'd love to try it but keep reading the same thing.

Yes, please, just in case I find a way (and some bravery) in the next few months.

I hate WM, too, so I haven't ever tried it. Plus since I don't really know what I'm doing I'd blunder it somehow.

I'll come back and post a DP if I get around to trying. WM is so inconvenient for me, it might be another month before I find the time to testing.

Just said not possible when I asked. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and see if I get a different answer during the week.
Interested to see if you get a successful response tomorrow. I'm planning to PC mine towards the end of the year when we could use the travel credit.

We go
I don’t see a movie without a recliner.

I’m so sorry about your MIL. Hopes she gets a diagnosis and helpful treatment

Life is a highway!

I’m cheap, so no seeing movies unless it’s a morning show and they’re $5.25 for most movies. Even with the recliner.

Awesome. I did similar but got Disney GCs at BJs. Amex credit finally posted today. Yay!

Usually I just use Amex MSR to buy VGCs so I can shop at Costco while putting all spend on Amex. I did get a Serve Card now, to use to meet MSR faster. Haven’t used it yet. 🐤🐔

You guys are scary sometimes!
I wish ours were that cheap. Base is the cheapest but it’s a lecture hall seating. Even then it’s a 25 min drive. Plus they only show one movie a day basically

One mom kept taking the crying 2yo out but it was like she’d go out for 5 mins and come back in. Little girl would start crying and fussing again after 5 mins. Mom would go back out and then come back quickly. She did that the entire movie (which is a long-for-littles, 2 hours long) and I wanted to say, “sorry you paid for tickets but you’re disrupting an entire theater of people who paid for tickets. You need to leave and stay out!” But she was only one of several disruptive families. I’m pretty tolerant of kids being kids, even in a movie, but this was just extreme. And yes, bad parents who should have handled the situations better 🙄
This is awful for everyone involved. I would never take my 2yo to the theater; at this age, he's just not ready. I have been thinking about taking my 4yo for her 1st theater experience, but maybe I'll hold off a little longer...

LOL Our local movie theater is about 5 minutes from home and is all reserved recliner seating. It's mostly locals so everyone brings their blankets and gets comfy. So it looks PlanePrincess worthy but feels like I'm in my living room. My blanket is hidden behind me for the picture. Of course it's a Mickey Mouse blanket that was given to me as an FE gift by a friend :goodvibes
Same! Ours is a truly local theatre, not part of a chain, about 2 miles from our house. We walk sometimes :) I love the reserved recliner seats, the great food selection (including stuff from local restaurants and the bakery), and a bar :drinking1Plus tickets are only $11.50, $9 for matinees, and $6 on Tuesdays!

Do you know if the bluebird cards work the same? I have one from many years ago (never used for ms), but it should be active still. If not, would I have to close that one first before ordering a green serve?

Don’t need to close. You can have five of each. The difference between bluebird and serve is that bluebird can just be used at Walmart.

I'm 300 pages behind. Eek! I've traveled most of June and July (gotta love summer break!!!) and I'm not sure if I've saved money by being offline and passing up all the "deals" I normally get or if I have spent more money. I think I'll just jump right back in here.

Unfortunately, I was "saving" the benefit of $250 on the Aspire card when buying gift cards for airline travel. I didn't need the gift cards and I was wishy-washy hoping that something would work out nicely for DH's training in Utah. Sadly, I see that I've missed the boat. I need to figure out another way to make that $250 airline benefit work for me, as without it I can't justify keeping the Aspire over the Ascend. I've come to enjoy being Hilton Diamond even though it hasn't really done a whole lot for me other than executive lounge access in St. Louis Hilton at the Ballpark.

Is there anything new with applying for a second CIP? I have insurance to pay and we've already met all of our SUBs on other cards. DH can refer me or I can self refer from our CSR or our CIPs.

I hope you're all doing well. You may see a lot of likes on your older posts as I spend the evening catching up with all of you. :)

I'm 300 pages behind. Eek! I've traveled most of June and July (gotta love summer break!!!) and I'm not sure if I've saved money by being offline and passing up all the "deals" I normally get or if I have spent more money. I think I'll just jump right back in here.

Unfortunately, I was "saving" the benefit of $250 on the Aspire card when buying gift cards for airline travel. I didn't need the gift cards and I was wishy-washy hoping that something would work out nicely for DH's training in Utah. Sadly, I see that I've missed the boat. I need to figure out another way to make that $250 airline benefit work for me, as without it I can't justify keeping the Aspire over the Ascend. I've come to enjoy being Hilton Diamond even though it hasn't really done a whole lot for me other than executive lounge access in St. Louis Hilton at the Ballpark.

Is there anything new with applying for a second CIP? I have insurance to pay and we've already met all of our SUBs on other cards. DH can refer me or I can self refer from our CSR or our CIPs.

I hope you're all doing well. You may see a lot of likes on your older posts as I spend the evening catching up with all of you. :)

Sounds like you've been gone longer than I've been here. :D At 300 pages behind, I would just start here, too. I read the first page and decided to start 50 pages back when I started following. Took me FOREVER to catch up.

The CIP process is unchanged, but several have been playing more cautiously following a BIG AmEx points clawback, recently. I'm willing to risk banning or clawback from Chase but am NOT self-referring and am putting at least 95 days between CIP1 and CIP2.

And (using my best SFFan voice) there's always the DISchurners thread for a summary of what's going on.

Nice to meet you! Welcome Home

Hi all. It's been a rough week. I'm not even going to try to catch up at this point. MIL received a diagnosis of sarcoidosis, then went for a second opinion & received a diagnosis of lymphoma. :sad2:

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that. Can't imagine what your family is going through. Our good thoughts and prayers are with your family :grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!