I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late to the party. I do like the A380s - really smooth flight and I didn't feel all cooped up in a long, thin tube for my 11 hour flight on one, so I might pick #2. Also I think those crazy long flights are tough without a stop. Then again, direct is really nice as long as the seat is comfy and you can lie flat - then you don't have to worry about connections.
Still 3 people to hear from, but it looks like the nonstop United flight from EWR to Delhi will be the winner!
Oh, I did make to the BWI PP lounge, The Club. It is in terminal 4 and our gate was right there on United. It is small and people (guests) are rude. Many single people taking up lots of space, there was a family of 3 (one was a baby) taking up a love seat plus another spot. There was a family of 4 and the 2 kids taking up at least 4 seats. The cocktails were good. I had a glass of rose and 2 margaritas. I signed in my 2 co-workers and the gentleman enjoyed many adult beverages before our flight. I had some chicken noodle soup, salad and a maybe a cookie. They had mainly “salad” sandwiches and I don’t do mayo. The one very odd thing was no bottles of water. I tried to grab a couple for the plane ride but it was a no go so I grabbed a Perrier and Coke. I did notice on my return flight that there was a crowd waiting to get into the lounge. If I were flying United again, I would definitely make a stop but probably won’t go out of my way from the SW terminals.
Good to know--thank you :)

I decided to see if I could pull up a decent offer on the Amex plat but could only get 60k for a SUB. Not sure that’s going to be worth it for me. I’m 3/24 right now and my next card won’t drop off until 10/20. I’d like to go ahead and get another Amex card, and it will likely be the last personal card I get for a while so that I can keep my options open with Chase. So I’m trying to decide between the Gold (got a 50k MR offer via email), or the limited time HH Surpass offer, or the Aspire. We have our flights already for Europe May/June 2020 but not all the hotels. Not sure if we’ll stay at a Hilton while there, but I would like to stay at a Hilton resort this winter with my daughter, so I’d definitely get the value out of either HH card. Both P2 and I already have the HHBiz card. The Gold and Surpass offers won’t last so it would be good to take advantage of that. But I’ve also had my eye on the Aspire for a while though. P2 is only 3/24 also so there’s that too. Help me decide!

Replying to myself here...been thinking about this all evening. The 50k MR for the gold SUB just isn’t doing much for me. I’m leaning towards the Aspire. All those perks...

Made reservations today also for 3 nights at the Hotel Indigo in Venice next June. Reserved two rooms. One with UR’s, and one room with IHG points for 2 nights, and 1 night cash for the refundable price. P2’s IHG Premier anniversary is next month and I’m hoping his free night posts in time to switch that cash night over to a free night.

For Disneyland Paris I’m debating whether to save up hotels.com gift cards or just pay out of pocket for it through P2’s new Cap1 Venture. From what I can see, doing it that way would pay back 10x miles. Seems like it would be easier than gift cards and possibly close to the same return. Anyone ever try that before?

Yeah that’ll be fine since we’re going next June. Maybe August 1 I’ll go for it.

Does the weekend night post immediately after MSR, or is it an anniversary night? I’ve looked at this card so many times before but couldn’t make it worth my while. But I do need GE now and I thought maybe someone had mentioned purchasing Tokyo Disney tickets and charging it to their room to use the credit? Can anyone here chime in on that? Between that and GE that could change my mind.
I think @calypso726 gave you her experience. I just upgraded my card in May, prorated AF just posted and I haven’t paid it yet. (ETA I haven’t received my free night yet)
Here’s the official T&C

Hilton Honors Annual Free Weekend Night Reward
During each year of your Card Membership, you will receive one Annual Free Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors. The Annual Free Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date. This benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member on the Card Account. The Annual Free Weekend Night Reward can be redeemed for one weekend night standard accommodation, double occupancy, subject to availability at properties in the Hilton portfolio, excluding those listed at HiltonHonors.com/weekendreward. A weekend night is defined as Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. To redeem the Annual Free Weekend Night Reward, Card Members must call 1-800-446-6677 and mention the code provided by Hilton Honors.

My SIL just told me my brother’s flight with delta was overbooked so they put him in first class for the next flight and gave him a $1,000 target gift card. 😱

My delta flight was overbooked last November. At checkin they asked if I was willing to take a bump and offered $200, $400, $500, etc. I read online to take the lowest amount as you'll be the first person they contact. I got $1000 amex card for taking the bump. They said I was the happiest person they ever saw removed from a plane, LOL.

I think it may have been @Haley R that posted you could purchase Tokyo Disney tix by charging to the room if you were gold or higher.

My weekend night did not post after MSR right away. The points did. It took about 8 - 10 weeks after meeting MSR for the free weekend nigh to post. On our card anniversary, which is Jan 18 since we applied on day 1, also did not have our FN post right away. The actual post date for this year was April 4 which is 11 weeks from card anniversary.
I think @calypso726 gave you her experience. I just upgraded my card in May, prorated AF just posted and I haven’t paid it yet. (ETA I haven’t received my free night yet)
Here’s the official T&C

Hilton Honors Annual Free Weekend Night Reward
During each year of your Card Membership, you will receive one Annual Free Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors. The Annual Free Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date. This benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member on the Card Account. The Annual Free Weekend Night Reward can be redeemed for one weekend night standard accommodation, double occupancy, subject to availability at properties in the Hilton portfolio, excluding those listed at HiltonHonors.com/weekendreward. A weekend night is defined as Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. To redeem the Annual Free Weekend Night Reward, Card Members must call 1-800-446-6677 and mention the code provided by Hilton Honors.

That sounds like it would work for me then. If I get the card 8/1, meet MSR by 11/1, then conceivably I would have the free night somewhere around 1/1-2/1. Can I book a weekend night and then apply the free night later? I'd like to book the Conrad Osaka and I see that there is also a deal with the card to do a 2 night minimum stay at a Conrad and get $100 in additional resort credits. If I can make all that come together for Japan next June, then I think this card could be a really good contender for us!

I appreciate the thoughts! For me, I think I will apply for CIP2 from DW referral (at my 95 day mark). I don't really have any other Chase cards that I care about (2 CFs), so if I were to get banned from Chase, not a big deal.

One CF has a balance at 3.99% that I may just pay slowly (to prove to Chase I a worthy customer?).

As one other person said, what about spreading applications among various Chase Biz cards? I know CIP is the best SUB, but this could potentially reduce more than one of the same card in hand every year. Thoughts?
I would agree that mixing up other business cards like CIU and CIC is a strategy for those looking to diversify their “risk” with Chase.

@Lain and @SouthFayetteFan, not been on much today but wanted to give you both hugs and tell you that I appreciate everything you guys do around here. You are both ROCKSTARS!!! But you are also human and in no way able to control the things that happen (good or bad) in the churning world...we all realize that and none of us are holding you responsible...I'm just thankful that you do share what you learn. Like @calypso726 said, the one constant in this is change. I know that from my time of GC churning and it's no different with cc churning. I've accepted it and am willing to take the risks. Nothing is without risks. I think we all realize that and if you don't or cannot accept that, this 'game' is not for you.

So my flight back from NC earlier this month I was delayed 3 hours so I complained and got 5k miles back :) I have $150 voucher from the 8 hour delay I had on 1/1/19. So I'm looking to book one last "mom only" get away in August before I go back to school. Since the airport I fly into is a discount airport, it'll only cost me 7500 miles (I'll book a one way and use the voucher on the other way). I have enough points to book 3 nights (4th free), why do I feel guilty depleting all of my IHG points on mom only vacas? LOL.

Once I clear out these IHG points, is there another easy way to get a ton of IHG points again? I have the premier card that gets the one free night a year. Truth be told I'm not sure where we'd stay that I would use my IHG points for something $$$$ anyways. But I feel like I need a nice stash of points with every acct, LOL (Like I have 200k+ Hilton, 140K+ Delta, 40k AA (earning the 70k more), 200k UR (can't wait to do the CIP), etc.

For Disneyland Paris I’m debating whether to save up hotels.com gift cards or just pay out of pocket for it through P2’s new Cap1 Venture. From what I can see, doing it that way would pay back 10x miles. Seems like it would be easier than gift cards and possibly close to the same return. Anyone ever try that before?

My only suggestion is if paying cash make sure you check all websites. I lucked out that the US DLP site had the best deal but often it's the UK site or another country. In addition to those I think I checked france, germany and the netherlands.

I am not sure where you are located but I loaded at the WM in North Reading in a regular cashier with no problem.
Closest to me is Framingham. How much did you do at the register?
That sounds like it would work for me then. If I get the card 8/1, meet MSR by 11/1, then conceivably I would have the free night somewhere around 1/1-2/1. Can I book a weekend night and then apply the free night later? I'd like to book the Conrad Osaka and I see that there is also a deal with the card to do a 2 night minimum stay at a Conrad and get $100 in additional resort credits. If I can make all that come together for Japan next June, then I think this card could be a really good contender for us!
Did you DH get the pop up to go away?
On hold with Bonblech...trying to convert our 7-night cert...about 18 mins on hold so far. Dreading this call but the cert expires tomorrow...
Ugh good luck the worst is when they hang up on you!

Wanted to chime in on CIP/ AMEX thoughts.

I had 45K clawed back. I was annoyed but honestly it’s a flash in the pan compared to all I’ve gained these past few years. I will be sad if Amex shuts me down as I have some more plans but it is what is it is and the risk outweighed for me for sure

Both DH and I are on CIP3. I actually felt prior to applying we were pushing it and was at least going to spare his account but the 200k more UR greed won out! We are able to apply again 10/1 - think I’ll do CIUs x2 or a CIU and Hyatt for DH depending on the offer
ETA I too am eternally grateful to @Lain and @SouthFayetteFan fan for all the guidance. Never did i feel the risks weren’t laid out. Also amazing advice from @wendow @calypso726 @gottalovepluto @vanjust14 @palhockeymomof2 @afan @DisneyMandC @Judique @Albort and so many more!

Last edited:
Got the cert converted with Bonblech. Now to find a cat 1-4 that we actually want to stay at for 7 nights lol. Hard to complain really. The 120k SW points were really what I was after and again, I knew the risks going into it. I'd do the same all over again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!