I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was all the way down at Fort Belvoir, then shopped in Hybla Valley and went over to the Belle View shopping center on the way back by cutting off route 1 and down Beacon Hill Rd. I had forgotten how steep that road is. The only thing I didn't do was hit Krispy Kreme for the $1 dozen wyb a dozen. My waistline can't take it right now.

Oh thanks for clearing up one of my questions last pm! We live 3 blocks from KK and I wondered why their drive through was backed up onto the main street. I didn't think it was just because the HDN sign was on.
Mystery solved! 🍩

Of course I can't tell DH the boards answered the question because he'll just :rolleyes2

In theory it should be, but if your outgoing flight is delayed you could have issues. We have had transfer times shorter than 1h 25m many times, but I like to leave at least 2 hours whenever possible (not always possible). If that is your only option, then I'd book the flights.
I would feel very uncomfortable with both of those times. When we were in LHR last (12/26), we flew first and had "fast passes" for all the lines and it took just over an hour AND we didn't have to change terminals.
Flying from EDI (which is in the UK) to connect in LHR also took a little more than an hour. They are serious about security there so one thing (long line, person in front of you unclear about what to take out of their bag, if you have to be bussed from one terminal to the other and there is a delay, or heck sometimes the bus ride takes 10 minutes) and there goes the flight. LHR is not a fun airport in which to connect if you have a lot of time, much less if you don't.

LHR is full of long lines, long hallways and long waits. I'd build in some cushion.

ETA-I'm okay with your sitting in a lounge twiddling your thumbs in LHR thinking "Tink1970 was wrong" than scrambling to reschedule a flight thinking "Tink1970 was right." 🤣
Longest walk of my life- connection through LHR - we had gate checked our stroller, come to find out they checked it the whole way through to our final destination. So we had to walk loooooooong halls and change terminals after a red-eye, while carrying an antsy 14 month old. That airport is huge, and they do seem to take way longer through security etc, if you need to do that at any point. I remember another time when we got there 3 hours ahead (this was pre-911, pre- faster clearance lanes etc) and walked up to our gate just as the plane was boarding - we had been in line/walking the entire time.

Not my favorite airport. Listen to @tink1970 and give yourself time!
I wouldn’t do it. We almost always fly first class (business once) and get a fast pass to get through LHR. More than once it has taken well over an hour just to get through the line. If you have to transfer terminals on the bus it can take much longer. We always add a 3 hour cushion for flights connecting at LHR.
Echoing other posters to say that I wouldn't do either one. Last time I flew through LHR and had to change planes it took forever, we had to ride a bus (which took forever to load and start moving), etc. and we were flying in First and had priority. I figure 3 hours minimum. I'd rather be miserable sitting in the airport for hours (hello 5 hours in the overly hot and pretty mediocre Air France lounge at CDG last summer) than book a one hour connection and be stressed that I was going to miss my connection in another country.
Thank you all so much :worship: I have been tasked with finding flight options for the proposed trip to India in December. The best option is a nonstop from EWR, but I was asked to see what's available out of PHL as EWR would add at least another hour in drive time plus a much more expensive shuttle, even for a group of 8-12 people. And that nonstop in business is $600 more than the PHL options. Decisions may be made tonight🤞
Conversation starter: do you value simplicity at all? Do you think you would earn as many rewards with fewer cards but more focused spending or do you enjoy the chase of new bonuses? Do you value not having to log into several different accounts and remembering due dates or do you think this is just part of the trade-off?
Like @DisneyMandC and @liloca, there is a nerdiness to the tracking that appeals to me. I couldn't do it without YNAB - I'd be too afraid I would lose track of something somewhere. I do think I go easier than some of our friends here (ummm @speedyfishy) who do this like its a job. I don't MS, only chase GC deals when I have a reason to spend them, and try not to get too caught up in the FOMO. I get more vigilant about maximizing my savings opportunities when I have time, and don't worry about it when I'm super busy with home/work stuff. Overall, I enjoy the chase, so its a hobby as well as an opportunity to travel cheap!

I'm almost done getting enough points for our big 2020 Europe trip, and I've got a quickie USO trip planned for late this year. Once the points for those trips are in the bag, I will likely just work on putting the right spend on the right cards and take a break before picking up another MSR (I say this now, but I always say it, then find some other good card deal that seems worth it). I'll probably cool it for a few months, until we get to the end of the year and our spending ramps up (not just holidays, but a couple of other large annual expenses) when I will pick up whatever card comes next. There is no question that working towards a nice big MSR bonus takes some of the sting out of necessary un-fun spending (esp. stuff like car repairs and broken dryers).

ETA- up until about 2 years ago we had 2 credit cards between be and DH. We were both so busy with work, we just had no extra capacity to think about rewards or points or whatever - just had everything on autopay so that everything kept running. We also had very little time for travel, so we didn't necessarily miss the points :guilty:
Echoing pretty much what @1st*toright said----tracking, no MS, trying to avoid FOMO (all those Amex offers!) (shiny points!), points in hand for 2020 Australia, only 2 credit cards until this time last year :rotfl:

I am starting to think about 2021 because we're going to have some big spending with the airfare to India soon. So I'll be back tomorrow or Monday (hopefully) to ask about the next cc options!

:grouphug: <----- me to all of you

Mint Juleps and Mickey Beignets! Have fun!

Thank you! Yep, definitely want to try both! Not sure I'll like the mint julep but gotta try it!

Haha! I’m a Target gal myself. Did you load at customer service or a register? Do you mind telling me which one in MA it is?

La Jolla on the way up or back from DL. I’ve never seen anything like it!!!! And MaxPass for DL
We're actually staying at La Jolla Shores Hotel for two night at the end of the trip and flying out of San Diego! It seems like it will be fun for the kiddos and relaxing ggv for the adults. Super excited for Maxpass! So much less planning than FP.

Argggghhhh Amex. Ok I just got the two ascend cards I pc'd to.... I can go in and confirm mine, but Dh,when I go in to confirm his, says 'already logged in under another acct' (I assume mine since I'm the main) ..... I can't figure this out,can't see the old card on his acct page now! Should I give him the new card to use as is, or do I have to call in on this? He's still using the old card..... anyone dealt with this?

Thank you all so much :worship: I have been tasked with finding flight options for the proposed trip to India in December. The best option is a nonstop from EWR, but I was asked to see what's available out of PHL as EWR would add at least another hour in drive time plus a much more expensive shuttle, even for a group of 8-12 people. And that nonstop in business is $600 more than the PHL options. Decisions may be made tonight🤞

This sounds like quite the undertaking.

Are the flights on AA or UA? I was so very disappointed by our AA flights from PHL to BUD (in biz) that I'd happily pay the upcharge for a better product (especially since flying to DEL is so very long and LHR is pretty terrible). I am embarrassed that I now know the types of planes as well as the class of seat AND I have preferences! Soon I'm going to be a plane princessprincess:

One could argue that it's better to get off a flight and move around so if you can find good connections from LHR AND a good product flying out of PHL I completely understand wanting to save money and have a break from flying. Good luck being a travel agent-lite!🍀

Lol! I have no idea what I'll be wearing but I can try to let you know as we get closer. The only other day we are in the same park is Mon for HS.

Well, now you and the girls should all wear pink shorts and white tops and any ears - I realize its short notice to get as detailed as @afan with her beautifully made ears, and then take pics for the rest of us! Dis CC meetup!

Any last minute advice or recommendations for DL or San Diego? We leave today! Have ressies for BB Fantasmic dining package, WoC dessert party, and lunch at River Bell Terrace.

If you like pizza (or just "American style" casual Italian food) try Filippi's Pizza Grotto, several locations around the San Diego area.

In La Jolla, be sure to stop by the Children's Pool. There are tons of harbor seals living in the area, and very often they come right up onto the beach to hang out--the lifeguards just put up a simple rope to discourage people from getting too close, but you can walk right out onto the sand to see them. And there's a concrete breakwater that lets you walk out and stand right above them. We also sometimes see dolphins swimming in the area.

la_jolla_childrens_pool.jpg

Edit to add: I just saw that you're spending a couple of days in La Jolla. We go to Pacfic Beach (right next door) every summer. What do you have planned for SD so far?

Last edited:
And I've been in and out of this area since 1977. But they keep building new stuff which sometimes changes my landmarks.

When we were here as military we used to shop at Fort Belvoir all the time because they had a decent commissary and a package store (wine and liquors). That was before Total Wine. I used to always go to Springfield Mall when it was new and still nice with all occupied stores and it was a thing to get lunch at Bennigans (probably gone). Never go there any more. Things change.

I’ve been to the Springfield mall! lol

Called pnc and was able to get the pin and partly registered before the site or my phone pooped out. I'm in a parking garage so hard to say. I did try to log in and it took me to where I'd been in the process so I should be able to finish when I get home. Then the next step is plastiq.

Oh thanks for clearing up one of my questions last pm! We live 3 blocks from KK and I wondered why their drive through was backed up onto the main street. I didn't think it was just because the HDN sign was on.
Mystery solved! 🍩

Of course I can't tell DH the boards answered the question because he'll just :rolleyes2

I love their lemon filled doughnuts. But if I buy, I keep eating.

Are the flights on AA or UA? I was so very disappointed by our AA flights from PHL to BUD (in biz) that I'd happily pay the upcharge for a better product (especially since flying to DEL is so very long and LHR is pretty terrible). I am embarrassed that I now know the types of planes as well as the class of seat AND I have preferences! Soon I'm going to be a plane princessprincess:

One could argue that it's better to get off a flight and move around so if you can find good connections from LHR AND a good product flying out of PHL I completely understand wanting to save money and have a break from flying. Good luck being a travel agent-lite!🍀

We're traveling with a couple our age (50), a couple in their mid40s, but the rest of the people are in their late 60s/early 70s. They may want to break up the travel with a stop. I am not sure how many people will want to pay for business class, though I suspect most if not all will.

The choices right now are
  • United, nonstop from EWR, on 777 without the fancy Polaris seats (so 2-2-2); same on return
  • Lufthansa from PHL to FRA on 747-400, 5h55m layover, FRA to DEL on A380-800; almost same on return
  • BA from PHL to LHR on 747, 3h40m layover, LHR to DEL on 787; 3 hour longer layover on return
Opinions?

And @tink1970 we'll be flying AA from PHL to FCO in November in economy :scared: using our AA vouchers from a voluntary bump! At least it's nonstop, right? And it's 2-4-2 seating so dh and I can rotate the aisle-window seats:laughing:

What do you mean soon? Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the PlanePrincess club. Here's your tiara :p

tiara.jpg

In La Jolla, be sure to stop by the Children's Pool. There are tons of harbor seals living in the area, and very often they come right up onto the beach to hang out--the lifeguards just put up a simple rope to discourage people from getting too close, but you can walk right out onto the sand to see them. And there's a concrete breakwater that lets you walk out and stand right above them. We also sometimes see dolphins swimming in the area.

la_jolla_childrens_pool.jpg

Edit to add: I just saw that you're spending a couple of days in La Jolla. We go to Pacfic Beach (right next door) every summer. What do you have planned for SD so far?

I have family that loves La Jolla and go there every winter, usually in February to get away from the snow in the east. I've never been but it's on my list.

Opinions?

If I were flying (just moi) I'd pick option #1. But having just flown with my DM (late 60s) and taking in the need to move around for most (okay everyone but especially those in their 60s/70s) I'd say option #2. FRA is big but not as horrible as LHR (imho) and while it's a long layover that means less chance of having to race to a gate (especially is any in the party aren't in racing form, lol). The biz class lounges in FRA aren't as fancy as the 1st class ones, but still nice.

I've read okay things about all of the products and frankly, BA's food isn't great in first, so if anyone cares about food, that knocks it out, plus their seating is weird, plus LHR which is why I'd put option 3 as the last option. But of course, that's just me.

In the end, you're going to India which is exciting and amazing. I'd be thrilled to be going there for sure.

If I were flying (just moi) I'd pick option #1. But having just flown with my DM (late 60s) and taking in the need to move around for most (okay everyone but especially those in their 60s/70s) I'd say option #2. FRA is big but not as horrible as LHR (imho) and while it's a long layover that means less chance of having to race to a gate (especially is any in the party aren't in racing form, lol). The biz class lounges in FRA aren't as fancy as the 1st class ones, but still nice.

I've read okay things about all of the products and frankly, BA's food isn't great in first, so if anyone cares about food, that knocks it out, plus their seating is weird, plus LHR which is why I'd put option 3 as the last option. But of course, that's just me.

In the end, you're going to India which is exciting and amazing. I'd be thrilled to be going there for sure.
Thank you! I don't know much about these airlines and even less about the airports.

We've only flown once overseas (to China! nonstop from JFK! in economy! with me stuck in the middle seat between dh and ddThen14!) so, as you can imagine, we are just so excited to be able to start some serious traveling out of the US. Rome in November, India in December, and then Australia next Sept/Oct :woohoo:

Crazy? Yes in the regular sense but no in the Churner sense as you can make it happen.
I just don’t know if it’s the right decision. I’d love to go back to japan but I also wouldn’t mind waiting until the new land expansion is done but by then we will most likely have kids. It’s a hard choice.

In relation to the CIP talk, Dh is at CIP #3 and I’m at CIP #2. I’m not sure if I should even go for #3. I really don’t want to offend chase and I feel like we might be pushing it a little bit. If I don’t go for #3 I’m not sure what my next move would be in terms of which card to get next

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!