I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
some kind of connection issues... Starts with a W ends with an I? :]
You lost me...

Oh, it's plenty punny if you pronouce it ci-u-py. My kids would have a field day with that. One of their favorite jokes is to try to get someone to spell "I cup". 🙄 😆
I cup is a big one in my house too. How old are your kids? How many more years of this do I have ( I realize the answer is a lot- the boy is 7).

I'm going to have to go into the other room right now and have my boys spell I CUP. This should be fun.:rotfl2:

Amex can usually tell by how much is charged. your best bet is to mix it up with other purchases... buy stuff with your purchases is what we recommend.
anything with a .95 is usually a dead giveaway too for VGC/MCGC purchases haha.
I normally shop at Costco, but I joined Sams in May because they take Amex. You gotta do what you gotta do to make MSR. I've found I like belonging to both. They supplement each other with the products they offer. I generally spend about 180- 250 at Sams every 2 weeks. I was thinking about throwing in a 50 dollar gift each time.

Dh and I started putting together our hurricane kit because it's getting to be that time of year. We bought a $400 generator from Home Depot. I also asked him to look up towelettes in case we're without water and he was like "I can't find anything!".....maybe because you typed in moist toilets
View attachment 416249
Smart lady! You won’t be like the crazy people at Sam’s & Costco today stocking up on water, Gatorade, bread, etc. Also saw at least one generator headed for self-checkouts.
Local news has people in full on panic mode. Nothing to worry about til Jim Cantore shows up, right?!?! 🙃

Idk but just a reminder HH doesn’t have to honor status if you book via 3rd party if that’s something you’re counting on.
I know but there’s already free breakfast at the hotel (in NOLA) and nothing else matters much. Even for Diamond. I’m using points for a stay at Hilton Universal Hollywood and wouldn’t mind a room upgrade there, so that’s booked thru Hilton.
It takes alot less UR that HH points b/c the UR are more valuable. If you are booking a standard room, I'd go with the hilton points and save the URs, esp if you can take advantage of 5th night free. HH points ressies don't have to pay resort fees or taxes either, if you need to take that into account.
Except I’d have to pay some cash with HH points because it’s 200k points but only 75k UR. I have 150k HH points and 150k UR. Because I don’t stay at Hilton a lot, it’s harder to earn points there. I can get another CIP for URs.

I normally shop at Costco, but I joined Sams in May because they take Amex. You gotta do what you gotta do to make MSR. I've found I like belonging to both. They supplement each other with the products they offer. I generally spend about 180- 250 at Sams every 2 weeks. I was thinking about throwing in a 50 dollar gift each time.

DH and I have both bought GCs with our AMEX cards (not for MSR) at various stores and we haven't had any issues. Is this something we should avoid? After MSR I did not think it mattered to them.

I do doordash too, but I only do it on weekday lunches on days my little is in preschool. I can make good money just working a few hours during the lunch rush and I focus on an area that is loaded with office buildings so I don't have to drive far. It is fun and easy money!
Sometimes I can manage to get free food too. Red Robin always offers my a cup of fries!

Smart lady! You won’t be like the crazy people at Sam’s & Costco today stocking up on water, Gatorade, bread, etc. Also saw at least one generator headed for self-checkouts.
Local news has people in full on panic mode. Nothing to worry about til Jim Cantore shows up, right?!?! 🙃
I'm doing a Walmart order and Sam's Club order. I'm not getting food or anything. It's too early to freak out. I am a little nervous for hurricane season since it'll be our first one. It's hard since we have cats. I know we're in an area that should be okay. People here said they decide to leave if it's a 3 or higher.

DH and I have both bought GCs with our AMEX cards (not for MSR) at various stores and we haven't had any issues. Is this something we should avoid? After MSR I did not think it mattered to them.
If you read the fine print......... Buying gift cards or cash equivalents can be seen as gaming. Only when it comes to MSR. If it's just regular bonus points it's not a problem. Amex is cracking down on the churners. I have cards with AF's I plan on canceling like the Delta Gold, Southwest Chase and Barclay Aviator. My Amex Gold card and Hilton Aspire are keepers. I may even upgrade CP to a CSR without a bonus because for how I spend it would be a keeper. I'm done churning until February. In Feb I'll be at 4/24 I'll apply for the CIP. SW business and then maybe a Marriott or Hyatt card. It depends on what SUB's are offered at the time

Would floating money with Chase for 0% interest cause any red flags on your account in regards to shutdown risk?

Don’t ban me or put me in the shun corner (or maybe do as I hear it is quite nice) @SouthFayetteFan but I have floated money on both DH’s CIU and now my CIC and still been approved without problem for the CIP’s. Just keep paying it down. (Don’t neglect minimum payments). I would be more worried about multiple CIP’s and shutdown risk then having an existing balance where you are taking advantage of the 0% APR.

Would floating money with Chase for 0% interest cause any red flags on your account in regards to shutdown risk?
While I'm not an expert in shutdown risk, as long as you look like a responsible borrower it shouldn't be a problem. If you're maxing out each card as you get them and only make minimum payments could send some flags. I floated the MSR on my CIC for the term. Got the SW Biz while I still had a balance. I think if you're smart about it it's not a problem.

We're staying at the DL Hotel Paris in October-I hope you have a wonderful time and I'll be super interested in hearing about it!
Thanks, I’m super excited! We originally planned on staying at the Sequoia Lodge but the DL Hotel is so gorgeous and the location is amazing, I couldn’t resist it! I’m a Disneyland girl through and through and have never been to any other Disney park so I’m a little nervous but I think it will be great!
I’m bookmarking your post so I remember to report back. I hope you have a great time too!

West coast here too. But don't think I want to preemptively change anything. Just going to see what my options are if it comes to that.
Yeah, I’m a pessimist and a bit impulsive so I suppose I jumped the gun thinking I needed to get a back up plan in place right away. Now that I’ve thought about it a bit, we’re staying with family in London and aren’t in a huge rush to get back to school and work, so we can sit tight if needed. Hopefully they’ll work it all out and everyone can get home as planned.
Enjoy your trip!

Listening to The Greatest Showman soundtrack right now...and sad that I'm not going to the Hugh Jackman show tonight in Denver. :sad1: Maybe I will sneak away on my own and DH can be confused when he comes home from golf.
Just now:

View attachment 416142

We're going!!! 😍

ETA: And this closes out DH CIP2 MSR. Woot!
I am going this Sunday in Phoenix. My husband is going with me and we are meeting for dinner beforehand with two of my coworkers who are VERY VOCAL about Mr Jackman's physical charms so dinner should be interesting for my husband....

Hope it was wonderful!

you should be fine floating... the question comes on how quickly your putting charge on it. so put it on with a steady pace. thats how shut downs are usually triggered.

CIUpy cup benefit not mentioned...

0% interest for 12 months on purchases.

DO NOT CHURN if you can’t afford to pay the card in full!! That said, this is an interesting side benefit that somebody might find beneficial. Especially since it doesn’t affect utilization and your credit score as a business card account.
That’s a good point. I wouldn’t feel very comfortable continuing to drink from the cup with large balances outstanding. But what if it’s just the $3k MSR... hmmmm lol.

(I payoff all my cards so this doesn’t really matter to me but you make a great point)

I don’t really see this as a benefit, especially as the float would probably lessen the chances at future approvals and make it less of a “cup” to keep drinking from. If you float a $3k balance, then move on and say you’re approved for the next card and float another $3k, and so on, eventually it’ll catch up to you. The outstanding balances will get too high, but also your credit limits remain high (or at least $3k on each card), both of which may become a factor for denial, especially the latter since we recommend people reducing their credit lines to increase their likelihood of approval. It’s just such a slippery slope for so many people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!