I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends that still use it are almost/are 40 :sad2: :sad:

And don't get me started on San Fran. It is The City, SF or San Francisco. The only one I let get away with it is my Grandpa who trained with United in SF in the 50's. He'd call it Frisco and had fought in WWII plus a different time so he got a pass :) But most other people I correct, especially if they are planning to go there. I will tell them, do not call it San Fran while you are there or people will get annoyed.

I don't mind Cali but to me it's a SoCal thing not a NorCal thing. But I see Cali as fun in the sun and surfing :beach:

Noooo, I grew up in Southern CA and no one says Cali. But we do say "the 405" and WE LIKE IT THAT WAY.:duck:

How much yardage are we talking? If it's a small piece you can just soak it in some hot water with a little Dawn, swish it around until it's thoroughly soaked, rinse, roll it in a towel to soak up most of the water, and then iron it dry. That's what I do with twill or Prussian tape that needed to be washed before I work with it, but for one reason or another I can't run it through the machine.

I only got 7 inches of each so not much. I hadn't thought about that, but it'll work better than putting them with my sheets or clothes :)

Was excited I actually found a decent but small amount of batting in the remnants. And I've examined my disney bought ears to see how they do them and like how they have slits in the headband cover they've sewn the ears into which gave me the last part to figuring it out. I had planned to sew them to the headband because I'm not a fan of hot glue keeping stuff like that on but hadn't thought about the slit. I do need to get something other than a regular cotton for the headband cover though but I'll worry about that once the ears are ready to attach.

Sidenote: I am actually teaching a "Project Runway" - style workshop this week and next to a small class of high schoolers. They are all very enthusiastic but most have zero sewing experience. I'm learning that it's surprisingly hard to slow down and break down stuff like "how to thread a needle" and "how to tie a knot" step by step!

That sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like something like that because I think I could do more if someone was teaching me rather than me trying to figure it out. All I ever really learned to do was sew straight. My mom knows a bit more and can help but she definitely didn't get the sewing gene from my grandma.

Well there is a happy ending but I should have seen it coming. Ya know, every Disney movie: Bambi, Nemo, etc.

Don't forget about Up! I think that's the worst of them all, crying less than 5 minutes in but at least it's not the mom.

So most days on the Dis, I don’t go outside this thread. I’ve ventured to the cruise board and read there but don’t post much because there are a few very snarky people there. So I hang here more. But I just ventured out looking for a little more info on Flower and Garden since we’ll be there soon (4 days!) and found two very relevant current threads. The first about having a Landry’s Card and not needing an ADR for Yak&Yeti. Never been there and no ADRs available so a reported 5 minutes wait without an ADR, I’m in. Secondly a Flower and Garden thread which mentioned an app with menus and wishlists, etc. Already downloaded and off to play with it (instead of packing or sleeping as I should be.)

Don't forget about Up! I think that's the worst of them all, crying less than 5 minutes in but at least it's not the mom.
I’ve never even seen Up, and don’t plan to.
I thought I was gonna die inside when we saw Despicable Me the first time. It was at my sister’s house, long after theatre release. I’d heard it was about a villain and thought yuck no thanks. But my sis said it was great so there we are watching, Gru adopts the girls, so cute. Then he sends them back to the orphanage! I was horrified. Of course it does have a happy ending, but that part just stabbed me in the heart.

I'm so excited. We found a house and they accepted our offer! It has a few more projects than we originally wanted but that just means more credit card points :goodvibes I will be so ready to get a new card after we close. We've been purposefully going slow in anticipation of buying a house and it's killing me not to be working on an MSR.

Churning Shower Thought: Yes - from the series of posts you love, that leave you wanting more...comes another SouthFayetteFan churning shower thought:

NEW 60,000 Point Chase Sapphire Preferred Offer:
  • There are multiple reports of Chase matching the 60k offer to folks who signed up for the 50k offer with NO mention of charging the Annual Fee (these DPs are on r/churning AND DoC's post)
  • IF you have a spouse that can refer you - DO THAT and request a match! You get 10k for the referral + 50k for the bonus w/ no AF. If you get the match that's another 10k for a total of 70k!
  • IF you would just be using a DISchurner support link...you have a decision to make. You could just take the 60k public offer and pay the AF and come out slightly ahead. OR you could use a DISchurner link, get the 50k with no AF, and attempt for a match. 60k with no AF would be a real win there ($100-$150 depending on how you value URs) BUT there's a risk you get no match and you come out $5 behind in cash or $30-$55 behind if you value URs at 1.25-1.5cpp.
  • There isn't really a wrong decision here, it just comes down to risk/reward. I just wanted to present some options for those currently weighing their CSP options.
Summary:
1) If you're going for a CSP via a spouse referral - you have a golden opportunity to potentially score 10k extra points
2) If you're going for a CSP without a spouse referral, weigh your options. Potential gain of $100-$150 vs. coming up short by $5-$55.

Last edited:
So most days on the Dis, I don’t go outside this thread. I’ve ventured to the cruise board and read there but don’t post much because there are a few very snarky people there. So I hang here more. But I just ventured out looking for a little more info on Flower and Garden since we’ll be there soon (4 days!) and found two very relevant current threads. The first about having a Landry’s Card and not needing an ADR for Yak&Yeti. Never been there and no ADRs available so a reported 5 minutes wait without an ADR, I’m in. Secondly a Flower and Garden thread which mentioned an app with menus and wishlists, etc. Already downloaded and off to play with it (instead of packing or sleeping as I should be.)
I have that app! I used it for food and wine last year and for festival of the arts this year

I'm so excited. We found a house and they accepted our offer! It has a few more projects than we originally wanted but that just means more credit card points :goodvibes I will be so ready to get a new card after we close. We've been purposefully going slow in anticipation of buying a house and it's killing me not to be working on an MSR.
That’s so exciting!!!

Just got an email that says I can sign up for Pay Over Time on my Amex Gold. I didn't see any bonus points attached to the email. I don't need that option so maybe I will hold out until they want to give me more.

DW decided that she would rather not go to Japan for our 10yr anniversary and be out of the country away from the kids as our youngest would only be 4yo. I think we decided, based on her recommendation, to visit Hawaii and stay at Aulani. It would be our first time to both. I was stashing MR points for flights to Japan so maybe I can get get something nice in terms of flights domestically. Recommendations on flying from New England to Hawaii in style on MR points?

I’m pretty sure I recall @calypso726 mentioning a route to Hawaii with lie flat seats. Maybe she or @Lain or @Albort can help. They are great with the flights/routes available

MR to Hawaiian during a 25% transfer bonus? I’m seeing first class lie-flat seats from BOS>HNL for 130k HawaiianMiles one-way, which seems to me like a pricey use of MR, but it is nonstop and Hawaiian has a great first class product. That’s 104k MR > 130k HA miles, per person, each way, during a transfer bonus. (For reference, I’m seeing the cash price for first class seats departing on random Fridays next January and February going for $1,864, which would make this redemption worth about 1.8 cpp if you can transfer MR to HA during a 25% transfer bonus.) I’m seeing economy award seats for 17.5k HawaiianMiles each way though, which I think is a great price, but I don’t know how you feel about being in economy on an 11 hrs. 35 mins. nonstop flight even if Hawaiian feeds you and serves complimentary alcohol.

(Relatedly, Hawaiian Airlines has a credit card that offers 60k HA miles for, I believe $2k MSR. The in-flight offer might be an MSR of just one purchase, but that doesn’t do you any good getting the miles to get onboard the flight in the first place. The card is issued by Barclays, so I can’t say whether you’ll be approved or not. The big value we get from the card is the cardholder can receive transfers of HA miles from anyone for free, so we end up pooling all our HA miles with my wife who has this card. It also comes with a free checked bag if pay for your ticket (and I think just the taxes count too) with the card.)

There might be some good MR>Delta redemptions, but I don’t have any experience booking or flying with Delta. I recall @calypso726 flew first class from DFW>OGG last year on AA, but I’m not sure how she booked it.

Last edited:
An update to my SIL’s situation:

Their house caught fire a second time this morning and there is even more damage to the house. My niece’s entire bedroom is ashes. They can’t walk through the house much because it isn’t safe (two story house). They were renting the house and didn’t have rental insurance so likely won’t get any kind of compensation. I texted my MIL asking if there’s anything they need so we can go out and buy it and take it down to them. There were two dogs in the house at the time but they were able to get them out safely. The worst part is my SIL’s boyfriend just started moving his stuff in yesterday before the fire. They still don’t know what started the fire

Woohoo, :woohoo:Congratulations!

Heads up for any other uber-planners wanting to get Blue Man Group tickets at Universal way ahead of time...it looks like you can only get tickets for dates for the next 3 months through the UR site. Clicking around for my dates in September it says that "the itinerary you selected is unavailable". Same with dates in August and July, but tickets pop up immediately if you select the last few days of June. So don't despair! I think Expedia is just wonky (at least that's what I'm telling myself) and tickets should come available soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!