I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from the PHL Centurion lounge! Our flight to Frankfurt has been delayed 30 minutes, so we’re still here. Darn crowded in the back part with the comfy chairs but there is plenty of space in the bar/food/table front section.

I don’t know how much I’ll be able to check in while we’re in India. We’re supposed to have WiFi at all the hotels 😊This is a non-points-redemption trip, but I will still share stuff about our trip later!

Got my flights back booked but the flights out of MCO were horrible, really only 1 afternoon flight and two evening, rest were 6AM~9AM. There was a nice direct flight but it was at 9AM so that would mean a 6AM departure from Disney... Booked Sunday anyway but have not canceled my Sunday night stay at the MCO Hyatt in case I need to switch to a Mon flight back.
I was booking home from Anaheim next June. Terrible. They have eliminated all nonstop flights and over the past week most of the stopovers were DEN or PHX, ok I checked out those airports to make sure of the feasibility of a 1 hour layover. This morning the only flight less than 25k Miles was thru SJC and it’s at 8:15 am 😫. I booked it but may not keep it. I need to look more seriously at AA for flights (novel use of AA miles).

So jealous! I'd really like to go sometime soon, but will probably have to wait another year. Did you find good rates? I was looking and didn't see any super cheap fares in July.

Honestly, I have no idea how good the fares are or how they compare to other times of the year. DW works for the school district, so our timeline is pretty strict for availability. Throw in the fact that DVC availability at Aulani is really tough in June because it's not our home resort, so July it is!

We're flying from Dallas to Honolulu and thought about other airlines, but we have so many SW points and a companion pass that it doesn't make sense. SW doesn't offer a non-stop option, so we have to fly to San Jose and change planes on the way there. That 11.5 hour trip will be rough, but free is free.

Coming back, we couldn't get a direct flight to Dallas, so we are flying to San Diego and staying 3 nights there before we head back home. None of us have ever been to Hawaii, so we are super excited. My brother-in-law and his family are meeting us there from UT, and it is their first trip to Hawaii too. Been reading trip reports like crazy to get some ideas about dining and stuff to see.

It's not that it's soft. It's that it's soft and unpasteurized.
Actually FDA has gone back and forth on that. It’s has said pasteurized or not, avoid. Plus all US cheese is by law from pasteurized milk. So imported cheese might be unpasteurized but nothing local. Honestly I’m not sure picking and choosing this cheese or that matters when listeria outbreaks have been linked to ice cream, fresh fruit and other foods besides soft and/or imported cheeses. It’s all crazy.

Would the SW Priority card work for you? Four upgraded boarding passes plus $75 annual credit for $149 AF might work out a little cheaper than $200.
Yeah - I’ve already figured I’ll probably upgrade my Plus to a Priority when that rolls around. I may start playing upgrade/downgrade games with SW cards then too haha!
Our HOA fees our due and they want to charge a $8.95 fee to pay with a credit card. That seems a little ridiculous to me. I’m not sure if we should just pay it or what. We’re working on MSRs so it would help but it’s still a big fee
I often pay fees to use my CCs on various bills towards an MSR. As long as the math makes sense I’ll do it.
Heads up for anyone going to WDW in January (@SouthFayetteFan and @wendow , maybe?) - DHS hours were extended through the end of the month to 8 am opens plus 2 hour EMHs on Sunday evenings. I managed to switch my RnR FP to SDD for the 2nd day of my trip.
Here I am being a loser again. I broke that news on the RotR Thread around 9am this morning but didn’t mention it here. Sorry guys - too much to keep up with on RotR 🤣

They also moved all opens for the next couple weeks or so to 7am which doesn’t really matter since they were already opening the park at 6:30am.

It comes out to about 2.8%. The fees are $310 plus the $8.95 fee for using a credit card. We could put it all on Dh's BBP that we're trying to hit the MSR on or when I apply here soon for my CIP.

Is it a flat fee? Can you prepay more than 1 month and would you want to? If I see a flat fee, I tend to prepay to meet MSR so I'm getting a better deal on the fee. :)

Are the planes from your airport the smaller American planes. That might have some affect on availablity. I also think web specials are here to stay. It’s just hard to predict how long they’ll be offered for a particular flight.
Yes, it’s a tiny airport, they only fly to DFW. I think it’s mostly used by the university’s athletic department. Hopefully they don’t cut that route. our home airport is 20 minutes away, this tiny regional airport is about 75 miles away.

Took the plunge and applied for Amex gold with an email offer for 50k MR/$4k/3 months. Automatic approval, am now 4/24. I also asked for an AU card for DD since she gets fast food fairly often playing sports as she does. It will get me much better return than the BCP AU card she has now.
:jumping1:

I am also contemplating getting the Gold and am interested in how to use SW for the airline credit.
I see that @Lain pointed you in the right direction for how to take advantage, but I also always check Flyertalk for recent DPs to make sure it's still working.

Guilty as charged! I have to admit that I cringed when @Haley R said she missed cold meat sandwiches. I'm actually cringing again just typing this.....

I'm cringing, too. Once you "see" it, you can never go back. Shudder.

@hulagirl - I want to say thank you for getting me to look at the Grand Wailea. Flights and hotel are now booked for spring break.
Depending on your spring break dates, we might see you there. My mom's place is affiliated with the GW, and we use the pools :)

I was booking home from Anaheim next June. Terrible. They have eliminated all nonstop flights and over the past week most of the stopovers were DEN or PHX, ok I checked out those airports to make sure of the feasibility of a 1 hour layover. This morning the only flight less than 25k Miles was thru SJC and it’s at 8:15 am 😫. I booked it but may not keep it. I need to look more seriously at AA for flights (novel use of AA miles).
I get it. I'm still upset about Southwest taking away ALL the direct flights from the Bay Area to MCO last go around (OAK, SFO and San Jose!). Makes the CP not quite as appealing for us. I'd almost rather brave SFO and United. Almost.

Heads up for anyone going to WDW in January (@SouthFayetteFan and @wendow , maybe?) - DHS hours were extended through the end of the month to 8 am opens plus 2 hour EMHs on Sunday evenings. I managed to switch my RnR FP to SDD for the 2nd day of my trip.

Thank you!! I was able to get SDD on January 12 at 9:15 am for our party of 8. I never would have known about the changes without your post. Typical Disney IT, my plans in MDE still show the old hours.

Does anyone know if the Amex green card will earn three points on cruises? If it does it might be a better card for me than the Gold. We spend about 5-10k a year on cruise fare plus other travel costs incurred on a cruise. I currently only use my Gold in restaurants and supermarkets. I also have the blue cash preferred which earns 6% at supermarkets and BBP which earns 2 points on everything.

Yeah I had to shift my whole trip one day since the prices were well above what I thought, Flights out were 10k back were 30k+ and odd times, however with moving some dates by one day got a direct flight back and it was 17k back instead of 30k. However it was tricky as I had a POP booking and a AOA Nemo Suite booking but the AOA one was free one so I was not sure they would move it since it would increase the cost since Thursday/Friday/Saturday was $100 more than Friday/Saturday/Sunday but they did it no questions asked!

I am frustrated with AMEX. I have been applying for the Biz Green for about 2 weeks. Got the pop up every time. I figured that would happen so I've been putting all spend on my existing AMEX cards. I have only closed one card with AMEX, Hilton Biz. Now for why I am really frustrated, because I expected the pop up. I decided to switch gears and have DH apply and see what happens. Automatic approval. WHAT!?! His stats are similar to mine with credit score and he has same AMEX cards but other than spend to redeem offers, there is little spend on his cards. Really can't believe his app is approved and mine isn't. No explanation to this.

@hulagirl - I want to say thank you for getting me to look at the Grand Wailea. Flights and hotel are now booked for spring break.

We had planned on spending spring break in Tahoe because my DD wanted to play in snow (and “all” her classmates are going), and I even had the Ritz Carlton booked; but after we got drenched with freezing rain at Disneyland over Thanksgiving, DW and I decided that was enough cold and wet for us this season. I don’t think DD will mind.

We did that once. DD really wanted to go to Tahoe for Spring Break but had to settle for the GW instead because I just wanted a break from winter and feeling cold. I think you made the right choice. It's really a great place for a family vacation. :cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter