I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!!! I am more than a little excited that I just found this board!! I'm a self-proclaimed promo code / budget / coupon finding queen. With that said, I'm trying to self-train myself in the world of points travel. I need some help!!! In my new found training, I'm realizing that I haven't been utilizing them to their upmost potential. I am currently booked for a June 2020 ABD in Alaska. I'll be flying from the East Coast. The trip is a surprise for my Dad to celebrate his retirement. He is an amazing man that never gets the recognition he deserves for being a Vietnam Vet, a community volunteer and servant for YEARS and just overall good guy and the best father and grandfather. I want so much to fly us to Alaska first class for the 10-12 hour flight, but 4 ABD reservations are strapping me as is. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card that I have had for less than a year (I upgraded from the Chase Sapphire Preferred). Currently, I'm sitting on about 75,000 Ultimate Rewards points. I'm pretty sure that I'm no where close to flying 4 for free on that amount of points, but i'm open to suggestions. I'm contemplating getting the Alaska Airlines card (40k bonus to combine with 1:1 transfer points from Chase plus the Alaska Airlines companion fare). Any other suggested strategies, ideas, etc. Someone want to just figure this all out for me? I'm getting that I can't book it all on points, but what about using the points for upgrades? That's where I get lost. HELP!!! Please! :).....pretty, pretty please. :)

Btw, am I even posting in the right place? lol

Thanks.. Looks like something I need to do but looks like it will be time consuming.

Its not a one day thing, Like I said I have been using it for over 5 years and I still have sites that I am adding. When I got stated I would change my password on a site that requested me to log in or if I was thinking about it, then over time more and more will get added. The main thing you want to make sure is that you use different passwords for the important things. Lots of hacks start with finding one login and once they get that they hope they are lucky to get into your email with the same passwords. Once that is done then its pretty simple to start finding out your other accounts and go from there, and if you use different passwords they can just use reset links from there so make sure 2 Factor is enabled on important things! (Not a hacker - Just have a cyber masters)

OMG!!! I am more than a little excited that I just found this board!! I'm a self-proclaimed promo code / budget / coupon finding queen. With that said, I'm trying to self-train myself in the world of points travel. I need some help!!! In my new found training, I'm realizing that I haven't been utilizing them to their upmost potential. I am currently booked for a June 2020 ABD in Alaska. I'll be flying from the East Coast. The trip is a surprise for my Dad to celebrate his retirement. He is an amazing man that never gets the recognition he deserves for being a Vietnam Vet, a community volunteer and servant for YEARS and just overall good guy and the best father and grandfather. I want so much to fly us to Alaska first class for the 10-12 hour flight, but 4 ABD reservations are strapping me as is. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card that I have had for less than a year (I upgraded from the Chase Sapphire Preferred). Currently, I'm sitting on about 75,000 Ultimate Rewards points. I'm pretty sure that I'm no where close to flying 4 for free on that amount of points, but i'm open to suggestions. I'm contemplating getting the Alaska Airlines card (40k bonus to combine with 1:1 transfer points from Chase plus the Alaska Airlines companion fare). Any other suggested strategies, ideas, etc. Someone want to just figure this all out for me? I'm getting that I can't book it all on points, but what about using the points for upgrades? That's where I get lost. HELP!!! Please! :).....pretty, pretty please. :)

:welcome: I love your enthusiasm!

I don't think Chase URs transfer to Alaska. If you post the route(s) you're interested in, hopefully others can chime in on how best to get there in first.

Hi and :welcome:

You are in the right place. can you go back to this post and answer those questions:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60156306

We need to know all the info before we can recommend a card.

However, the CIP is the most popular card.
Have you opened less than 5 cards in the last 24 months, can you spend $5,000 in 3 months and are you open to business cards? If so the Chase Ink Preferred (CIP) is your new best friend, $5,000 spend in 3 months (MSR) will earn you 80,000 chase points (URs), which you can combine with your current 75,000 URs.

Join us over on the Sub-Reddit /DIS Churners and use one of our CIP support links. @SouthFayetteFan can get you in!

Apple has recently streamlined the MacBooks. There is an Air, 13-inch Pro, and 16-inch Pro. Depending on what DD will do with the computer, an air may suffice. I've always had a Pro because I like the computing power.

Are you a Costco member? The old MacBook Air will be $200 off and sold for $699.99 online only Thanksgiving day. The 13-inch Pro will be $250 off and sold for $999.99 online 11/28 and in store 11/29 - 12/2. The new Air will be $200 off and sold for $999.99 online 12/2. If not, I think Best Buy has the next best price on the same units.

No, we don’t have a Costco membership, just Sams and it’s likely I’ll soon have a BJ’s online only membership. We have several Best Buy offers on our Amex cards, so we may end up doing that. Those offers don’t exclude Apple products, do they? I’ll have to double check on that.

5/17: (furniture store card - current zero balance)
6/18: Chase Sapphire Reserve (Upgraded from Chase Sapphire Preferred from 2014)
  • Normally about $2-3k; however, currently paying off the ABD, which must be paid in full by 2/2020 (approx. $8k remaining - 3x points on all travel with Chase Reserve)
  • Yes, pay off each month
  • Typically, MDT (preferred), but willing to go PHL or BWI if savings are massive
  • No, signed up for a few but nothing really accumulated
  • Yes (PHL and BWI, but n/a here because no service to Anchorage)
  • No
  • Approx. 70k Ultimate Rewards through Chase
  • First Class / Business Class Flights for 4 to Anchorage Alaska
  • 2 Senior Adults (70+ / one a military veteran); 1 regular adult; 1 child (age 13 at the time of travel)

• Normally about $2-3k; however, currently paying off the ABD, which must be paid in full by 2/2020 (approx. $8k remaining - 3x points on all travel with Chase Reserve)
  • Typically, MDT (preferred), but willing to go PHL or BWI if savings are massive
  • No
  • 2 Senior Adults (70+ / one a military veteran); 1 regular adult; 1 child (age 13 at the time of travel)
This is the only way I was permitted to post answering the questions. In any other reply or format, it was blocked

Popping out of lurkdom on this thread to share some things. Not sure if this is relevant to anyone or if it’s been discussed already but today I got the email from Discover announcing the 5% cash back categories for 2020:

Q1: Grocery Stores, Walgreens, CVS
Q2: Gas, Uber/Lyft, Wholesale Clubs
Q3: Restaurants & Paypal
Q4: Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Target.com

Really working out great for us since our May trip falls in Q2. We like to load up on additional GCs for dining and merch. Lyft will also work out nicely because we use it a lot to the parks and we have a couple of Disney Springs date nights planned.

Also excited since I made my spend on the CSP! Anyone have an idea of how long the SUB takes to post? I already had SUB from my CFU so it will be nice to combine it. The goal for that nest egg is business class to Europe. Our May WDW flights were booked with my JetBlue Plus SUB.

Its not a one day thing, Like I said I have been using it for over 5 years and I still have sites that I am adding. When I got stated I would change my password on a site that requested me to log in or if I was thinking about it, then over time more and more will get added. The main thing you want to make sure is that you use different passwords for the important things. Lots of hacks start with finding one login and once they get that they hope they are lucky to get into your email with the same passwords. Once that is done then its pretty simple to start finding out your other accounts and go from there, and if you use different passwords they can just use reset links from there so make sure 2 Factor is enabled on important things! (Not a hacker - Just have a cyber masters)

Our current system is a rolodex. Sitting beside our computer. Super secure. haha. It is especially a pain when you think you are logged into important sites on your phone and bam the dumb thing updates and loses your password and you are on vacation with no way to get stupid password. Anyway, I was telling DH my "friends" all insist on these password managers. He is very against it saying that it will be more of a risk because then the bad guys only need to hack one site to get all of your passwords. Any words of wisdom to alleviate his mind?

I wanted to report a couple of DP's on loading Serve. Monday I loaded $200 at one FD location with no issues, went to another close FD and was denied by the same cashier who had allowed a Serve load a few weeks ago (she said cash only). Yesterday I went to Dollar General and was denied there also (cash only), then successfully loaded $200 at WM at customer service. I still have $600 I need to load. At first I was kind of regretting not buying more than $1k of fee free gc's at Staples last week when I had the chance, but now I'm kind of glad. I think should still be able to load the remaining $600, but it's a good reminder that just because something worked previously doesn't mean it won't change so don't get caught up in FOMO and put yourself in a bad position. :goodvibes

Does anyone know how long Chase offers take to show up on new accounts? DH's new SW biz card popped up in his account earlier, but it doesn't have any offers showing up yet. I'm hoping the BJs offer is on there since it's on all our other Chase business cards...

• No
Looks like you are at 1/24 this is great!
So if you are willing to apply for a business card, selling stuff on eBay qualifies you as a business, your next card should be the CIP.

I did a quick search and found lots of First class availability on United out of PHL, the problem is that it's 120K points RT per ticket.

Popping out of lurkdom on this thread to share some things. Not sure if this is relevant to anyone or if it’s been discussed already but today I got the email from Discover announcing the 5% cash back categories for 2020:

Q1: Grocery Stores, Walgreens, CVS
Q2: Gas, Uber/Lyft, Wholesale Clubs
Q3: Restaurants & Paypal
Q4: Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Target.com

Really working out great for us since our May trip falls in Q2. We like to load up on additional GCs for dining and merch. Lyft will also work out nicely because we use it a lot to the parks and we have a couple of Disney Springs date nights planned.

Also excited since I made my spend on the CSP! Anyone have an idea of how long the SUB takes to post? I already had SUB from my CFU so it will be nice to combine it. The goal for that nest egg is business class to Europe. Our May WDW flights were booked with my JetBlue Plus SUB.

The points should post once your statement closes. Can you see pending points in the UR dashboard?

If you have a Marriott account, check for a new promo. I got up to 18,000 points for three stays: 4000 for 1st weekend stay, 6000 for 2nd weekend stay, 8000 for 3rd weekend stay. Exp 2/29/20. A weekend is a Friday or Saturday night. I read there are different targeted offers.

I couldn't find it anywhere. I have the one for 2K points after 2 stays. And I just made a bunch of reservations for Dec, Jan and Feb. I could easily rearrange slightly and hit it. But - only Dec is cash - did they have to be cash stays? I'm booking points and certificates except for Dec (I have gift card and some credit left.)

• No

:welcome: Can you clarify your CSR date. You had stated that it is less than a year old but also have it listed here for 6/18. If you really got the CSP in 2014 then you may be able to downgrade your CSR to a freedom and reapply for the CSR to get the Sign up bonus. A lot of us start with Chase cards, but since you are looking for something very specific and have such a short time frame that I am not sure what is the best way to go. Hopefully someone else can help you better.

I couldn't find it anywhere. I have the one for 2K points after 2 stays. And I just made a bunch of reservations for Dec, Jan and Feb. I could easily rearrange slightly and hit it. But - only Dec is cash - did they have to be cash stays? I'm booking points and certificates except for Dec (I have gift card and some credit left.)

That is same promotion I found on DHs account too. He has no more work trips planned in that time frame so don't think we will hit the BIG 2000 point bonus. lol

It does have to be a "qualifying rate" stay, which means a paid stay and booked through Marriott's website. I also have the 2K for 2 stays, and I'm wondering if they will stack? The timing works out well for us since our Costa Rica trip starts this weekend, with a stopover in Houston to catch a show, so I have actual stays I'm planning on.

I've got the $25 credit to use up, and I put the $100 off $500 Marriott Luxury Brands Amex offer onto my Brilliant card. I'm hoping that the JW Marriott will let me add a gift card to my room so I can get the bill over $500. Then use that gift card during our Costa Rica stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter