I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my Dell XPS. I looked at that, Surface Laptop and Macbook. Decided I wanted Windows Laptop and then preferred the Dell colors (mine is Rose Gold). I have had it for almost a year and it is wonderful. So glad I sprang for something decent.
Thank you, it seems like a nice machine, but I don't want to give her bad advice if she is dropping $1,500 on something. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours a year later!

I have an HP Envy x360 with an i7 processor and I love it! Size wise it's small 13.3 inch, and that was one of my main criteria so as to carry it easily wherever I go on vacations. I've had it for several years -2 plus - I got it in 2017. And, TBH, I mostly read email and message boards on it and download photos. It's never had any issues. I know I could probably get along with a tablet of some sort, but I prefer my small laptop. Battery life is great and it charges relatively fast. Don't ask me anything technical as I'm clueless, but this is my 6th laptop over the last 20 or so years. My first one was a Sony :).

The HP Envy was around $1K when I bought it at Costco. I tried out several others and returned them at the time to Best Buy and Costco until I found one that felt good. Ps - I can get tech answers by asking daughter if you like.
Oh Sony computers! They used to look so cool! My sister's first laptop was actually an HP years ago when the first Centrino chips came out (I picked that one too LOL). The Envy and Spectre seem to offer better graphics capabilities than the XPS, but IDK that she would necessarily benefit from it. I almost want her to go to BB or something just to look at the actual machines and try the touch pads. That has been a dealbreaker for me on some models at work.
It really depends on what she plans to use the laptop for. That will make all the difference. Some programs require many more resources than others. We only buy Dell at work and rarely have problems. We buy Latitude laptops because they are the business class, but they do well for us. Four year replacement schedule for regular use, then we reimage and place them in an infrequent use area for another few years. The Inspiron is not one I’d recommend- XPS is definitely better.

I’d personally stay away from any of the less expensive brands; Dell or HP are the way to go. Check out Costco’s Black Friday deals and get the best spec you can- i7, 16GB +RAM, good size HD. They also offer the additional tech support, which is awesome :-)

Or, make her a Mac convert and listen to her sing your praises for years. Windows isn’t allowed in my house :oops:
Excellent point. She is not doing anything like intense gaming. LOL I am mostly looking at ultrabooks because she carries it around with her everywhere and likes it to be tiny, light, and run cool with a solid battery. Right now her Portege has an i5, 8gb ram, and 256 SSD. I told her should shouldn't go below 16gb of ram and a 512gb ssd considering her 256 is almost full. The Portege is a business laptop and I actually looked at the Latitude 7300 because it has so many useful ports.

Funny you mention Costco... I have two models on my radar between Thanksgiving and Black Friday. In my research I see the regular XPS will have a better keyboard feel, but the 2 in 1 has the superior 10th generation i7 with Iris Plus graphics. It's a $100 difference so I will let her decide. Costco makes returns effortless if she is unhappy within 90 days.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.43.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.42.48 PM.png

Those new 16 inch MacBook Pros do like very nice :thumbsup2 I have a mid-2015 15-inch that is still working great so no need for me... yet lol

We bought my DD a cheapy cheap Asus before she went to Africa because she didn't want to bring her macbook. It was $130. Not a chromebook either. She loved it. She actually did not want to go back to her macbook when she came home. lol She only recently got it back out because it had a stored password she needed. She only uses a computer for internet research, watching movies and writing papers. So she doesn't need anything fancy. Her macbook was required for her major (and they made us add extra stuff) and she has 1 semester left and still has no idea why it was required. lol Does your sister require something fancier? My theory on laptops is that no matter what, they are only going to last a few years. So I get something on the cheaper end. My current one is almost 2 years old and I spent less than $400. I think it is fine. If I had to run intensive programs then it would be different.
Wow! $130?! She isn't looking for something with a 4k screen or titanium finish (those are just added bonuses), she just wants it to boot up fast, be very light, and last a long time if she can't plug-in. Her current machine is just over 5 years old and cost $1,200 back then (without extended insurance, that was added-on) so I think she is ok with spending that much if it will last a similar amount of time. I guess she could technically upgrade for $300 annually rather than one $1,500 unit lol

My wife likes to say that once she looked around the delivery room and saw how many people she was on display for, what else does she need to be embarrassed about?

I was a c-section.....So I didn't have to go through what most do, but I was strapped to a table naked, LOL. I loved that the nurses were complimenting my toenail color.

HA!!! At least with babies, there's some excuse. I have pictures of various rashes on various body parts from DD21 and all her friends in college. Apparently, I diagnose better over text than their college health center. :rolleyes1

Pretty much what was going on with me and my friends, minus pictures but with descriptions, LOL. Luckily they were like, oh yeah...totally had that it's XXX, LOL.

So uhhhh...Let’s also agree that modesty and shame are a very real thing on a credit card discussion thread on a Disney focused message board. @Haley R - it would be juvenile for anybody to feel like the mere mention of a breast pump is TMI. BUT I think @LilSweetPeaPhoto - whatever these “special” texts are might be better left between friends IRL. 🤣
You don't wanna be added to the group text? I have to think, some of the texts you'd enjoy. Some might make you run, LOL

I'm trying to set up my mother's online account for a new CIU, but when I try to log on to her business account it says,
"We locked your account to protect it from unusual activity."
She previously had a CIP, which was closed a few months ago. I'm pretty sure that I got her locked out when i was trying to log in from a new computer.

I tried to enroll the CIU for a new account, but it says the card is already associated with an online account. I'm assuming they added it to her previous business login.

Anyway. She doesn't do online (I set up the account on her CIP). She still pays her bills with a check in the mail. So I'm trying to manage her URs.
I want to call to get it sorted out, but I need to be prepared for whatever they might ask. I have her SS number. Any other information I should get from her before calling in? (oh, and she'll kill me if she has to call them)
Thanks!

According to my tracker on the Amex website, I am $3.42 away from my free night on my Hilton biz. So, I treated myself to lunch and it's time to start planning my weekend nights! I will have this weekend night, plus another weekend night that I earned as part of the SUB on this Hilton Biz. I'm planning to use them for a 2 night stay in Seattle this June. It looks like there are a number of possibilities open for our dates. Any recommendations? It's going to be just me and DH on the trip, and we'll be celebrating DH's 40th birthday.

We also have our Frozen 2 tickets. DD5 is turning 6 on Saturday, so we have a whole big thing planned. I got a babysitter for DD3, and DH and I will both take then-DD6 to see it on her birthday. She's so excited!

Can I hire you to walk around behind me and say this all the time? Honestly I feel 90% of the time I am good at not buying stuff, but a "good deal" is hard to not jump on.
I am bad and do not need the AirPods at all. I have no offers left to use to make it a good deal so I am holding off... for now LOL I honestly don't know if I will like the in ear design and would like a place with easy returns in the event I dislike them. I will watch diligently.

So I feel like I can geek out on this here. I'm normally in Vegas right now at AU (AutoDESK University). A new superintendent changed the rule to every other year. I am MAD because this year one of the keynote speakers was a Disney Imagineer. I've always said that would be my dream job! (I teach engineering and architecture). Well I streamed the keynote from class yesterday and LOVED watching the Disney part. It's pretty awesome to see the software I'm teaching them used to design things.

If anyone wants to see, his talk about about designing Galaxy's Edge and the Millenium Falcon ride. https://ustream.tv/recorded/124662213

I told my students if I was in Vegas I would have ran after the guy after he walked off the stage and begged for a job, LOL.
OMG I took animation classes in college and used Maya all the time! That would have been amazing!!

DD would like to buy a Mac laptop to use for CCP classes she plans to take next school year. So we’re also watching for laptop deals on Black Friday. The only Apple stuff we’ve ever bought are phones and iPad, so not sure exactly what to look for. Would welcome any advice.
Apple has recently streamlined the MacBooks. There is an Air, 13-inch Pro, and 16-inch Pro. Depending on what DD will do with the computer, an air may suffice. I've always had a Pro because I like the computing power.

Are you a Costco member? The old MacBook Air will be $200 off and sold for $699.99 online only Thanksgiving day. The 13-inch Pro will be $250 off and sold for $999.99 online 11/28 and in store 11/29 - 12/2. The new Air will be $200 off and sold for $999.99 online 12/2. If not, I think Best Buy has the next best price on the same units.

I'm trying to set up my mother's online account for a new CIU, but when I try to log on to her business account it says,
She previously had a CIP, which was closed a few months ago. I'm pretty sure that I got her locked out when i was trying to log in from a new computer.
I tried to enroll the CIU for a new account, but it says the card is already associated with an online account. I'm assuming they added it to her previous business login.

Anyway. She doesn't do online (I set up the account on her CIP). She still pays her bills with a check in the mail. So I'm trying to manage her URs.
I want to call to get it sorted out, but I need to be prepared for whatever they might ask. I have her SS number. Any other information I should get from her before calling in? (oh, and she'll kill me if she has to call them)
Thanks!
I was locked out when I got my first Chase biz card over a year ago. I think it was because I had the personal account first. I tried to make the account and it told me to call. Besides SSN I think I had to verify a code they texted me. Not sure if you will need access to her phone?

Thanks!
This happened with my dd19's first Chase biz card, which was a CIP. She did have to call in and I made her do it lol cause teens these days act like the world is coming to an end if they have to call someone. I don't like calling these companies either but it's important to know HOW to call a bank so yeah, meanie mom made her call. Anyways, my dd needed some info like the card number and the username that we had tried to create the online account under. They did have to text her a code that she had to give them. That's kind of all I remember. It wasn't a painful call and there were no questions about her 'business' but it's wasn't a super fast call either.

DH has a Chase offer on his SW Business card at Walgreen 15% up to $6.00, but it says offer not valid on prepaid cards. Do you all think I can buy Amazon or Target gift cards? Same with CVS offer, can we buy GCs?
Probably. So far I haven't seen any indication that they get the level of data needed to actually enforce the exclusions. (At least yet)

Bought GC only for the CVS offer, used the Rite Aid offer on a prescription only, both I think were listed in the exclusions and both credited.

This happened with my dd19's first Chase biz card, which was a CIP. She did have to call in and I made her do it lol cause teens these days act like the world is coming to an end if they have to call someone. I don't like calling these companies either but it's important to know HOW to call a bank so yeah, meanie mom made her call. Anyways, my dd needed some info like the card number and the username that we had tried to create the online account under. They did have to text her a code that she had to give them. That's kind of all I remember. It wasn't a painful call and there were no questions about her 'business' but it's wasn't a super fast call either.

LOL - so true!! My DS18 will do just about anything to avoid having to actually speak to someone over the phone - its a regular source of amusement in our family.

According to my tracker on the Amex website, I am $3.42 away from my free night on my Hilton biz. So, I treated myself to lunch and it's time to start planning my weekend nights! I will have this weekend night, plus another weekend night that I earned as part of the SUB on this Hilton Biz. I'm planning to use them for a 2 night stay in Seattle this June. It looks like there are a number of possibilities open for our dates. Any recommendations? It's going to be just me and DH on the trip, and we'll be celebrating DH's 40th birthday.

I went and looked at my tracker - I only need to spend $13k on my Surpass, $55k on my Aspire or $13k on my Biz to get the free night, LOL. I'll need to watch my tracker better next year since I'll have like MSR I'm doing.

OMG I took animation classes in college and used Maya all the time! That would have been amazing!!
AutoDESK nerds unite. I never took Maya. I used to teach Max and HATED IT! LOL

DH has a Chase offer on his SW Business card at Walgreen 15% up to $6.00, but it says offer not valid on prepaid cards. Do you all think I can buy Amazon or Target gift cards? Same with CVS offer, can we buy GCs?
I used the offer on a Disney GC at Walgreens and it credited. I added a small item to give the transaction an odd amount so it wasn't obvious that I purchased a GC.

I have used 1Password6 now for almost 5+ years. I have not updated to v7 yet since its a monthly subscription. When you install the browser add-ins they will detect you are changing your password and either A) make a suggestion for a good random password or B) ask you to save the one you just entered and create a entry for that site. Now as far as remembering anything you just need to remember your master password. Never use this password on any site and try to not write it down, if you do make sure its secure. This password will only be used to gain entry to the app, from there you choose the site you are on and it will auto fill the password for that site.

Thanks.. Looks like something I need to do but looks like it will be time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter