I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wait, color me blonde and confused.....you are using your AA miles or your BA miles? I fly AA often (down to NC) and will be doing moreso when/if I buy my beach house. Please teach me your ways oh wise one :)

A couple of years ago I discovered that my daughter had 18k British Avios that were going to expire. Her mail was coming to me as she was out of the country long term. She said, they are not any good to me.

I hate to let anything go to waste so I set out to save them. I signed up for a British Airways account, read up on all the uses for Avios and booked a ticket for my younger daughter from MCO to BWI for about 4K avios. This was with older daughter's permission, but I can assure you she took another look at those Avios after that and now uses them regularly, in addition to the Iberia Avios. There are also latin american Avios, but neither of us has been approved for that card for some reason - they are tougher.

She is 14. She’s a good kid and I know will be thrilled no matter what we wind up d

When I go on a short haul flight like Miami to New York I will book the flight with BA, using BA miles (Avios) but I actually fly on an American Airlines plane. This is utilizing a partner booking. I can only do this if AA shows that a saver award is available for that flight. BA miles/Avios are best used for short haul flights. Their award chart is distance based. If JAL (also a partner with BA and AA) has partner availability to Tokyo I would use my AA miles not BA Avios because Tokyo is far and would cost me way more Avios than it would cost AA miles.

Now, the return flight was not available as a saver award so I could not book it with BA. AA’s anytime award price was 90k miles per person. They must be on crack. I could fly to Tokyo in JAL first class for that amount of AA miles. So, I booked the return flights with 112k Amex MRs and will get 35% of those points back since I hold the Amex Plat biz card.

My DD is 14 as well. So clearly that age.

Hmmm, I may have to look into this. But I don't have BA miles, LOL. I will say though, when I fly to NC, I normally get the 25k RT (saver) flight AND I normally pick a reduced miles airport. So I get another 7500 off. So I use 17500 AA miles for a RT flight. I'd have to see what that is in BA...it's 816 miles from my house to Newport, NC. So it's under 1k miles for the flights.

Darn, I wish Instacart would let you pickup at Costco. Just put in my address and confirmed that they won't deliver to me :(

Me also. I have a couple of Instacart promos and my 10 minutes away Costco doesn't deliver. I'd quickly order the heavy stuff, water, cat litter, 35 pack of coke zero for DD, etc, even if I were going there the same day.

And yet the bourgeoisie was the middle class!

"the middle class, typically with reference to its perceived materialistic values or conventional attitudes"

So do "bougie" and "BASIC" mean the same thing??? Or is the current usage of "bougie" supposed to mean "EXTRA"???

So weird....
I always interpret "bougie" to mean uppity, thinking you're classier/above others because you have more money. But I'm not all that hip, so who knows!

I have a question about trying to get a Palo brunch on embarkation day. I know we can go line up to try to make a reservation that day, but what if our boarding time is late? Our time isn't until 3:45 pm if I'm understanding it correctly. I looked at a previous navigator and it said they started taking reservations at 12 pm. Am I looking at this wrong?

Travel insurance question:

We have an AK cruise booked for next summer. We plan to add 1-2 weeks to explore OR/WA state before the cruise, depends on work schedules, flights, costs, etc.

The travel insurance is the same cost for 1 week or 3 (I'm only insuring cruise and excursion costs. Everything else will be booked with SW or otherwise easy to cancel and paid for with points).

Is there a downside to buying the coverage for the 3 week potential range of the trip if we may only travel for 2 weeks?

No downside. If we would not have extended our trip insurance to cover our post ABD trip we may well have been stuck in a typhoon in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. There were no longer any award flights to switch to during the emergency. It was cash and price

My DD is 14 as well. So clearly that age.

Hmmm, I may have to look into this. But I don't have BA miles, LOL. I will say though, when I fly to NC, I normally get the 25k RT (saver) flight AND I normally pick a reduced miles airport. So I get another 7500 off. So I use 17500 AA miles for a RT flight. I'd have to see what that is in BA...it's 816 miles from my house to Newport, NC. So it's under 1k miles for the flights.

Do you have UR points? UR transfers to BA 1:1. Domestic short flights under 1150 miles I think are 7500 Avios each way. So it would be 15,000 RT.

Darn, I wish Instacart would let you pickup at Costco. Just put in my address and confirmed that they won't deliver to me :(

Question - have you seen an Instacart offer other than on Chase cards? I have 10% on my Chase card, but I vaguely remember seeing another promo. I think there is something on Amex but that won't work on Costco.

I have a question about trying to get a Palo brunch on embarkation day. I know we can go line up to try to make a reservation that day, but what if our boarding time is late? Our time isn't until 3:45 pm if I'm understanding it correctly. I looked at a previous navigator and it said they started taking reservations at 12 pm. Am I looking at this wrong?
No, that's right. We're usually on the ship by noon. Your port arrival time is 3:45? If so that is right at the end and I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Also, did you put in a request to either be sat by yourselves or with a group? I always request to be sat by ourselves. We're introverts!

No downside. If we would not have extended our trip insurance to cover our post ABD trip we may well have been stuck in a typhoon in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. There were no longer any award flights to switch to during the emergency. It was cash and price

Do you have UR points? UR transfers to BA 1:1. Domestic short flights under 1150 miles I think are 7500 Avios each way. So it would be 15,000 RT.

I have about 200k UR right now. So I'd be "saving" about 2500 miles a flight. It's good to know about that option since my AA miles are drying up. Esp since I'm about to go for the CIP.

Since you're so good at this....I have 10k Alaska miles (which I know is an AA partner, well for the time being). Best way to use those?

No, that's right. We're usually on the ship by noon. Your port arrival time is 3:45? If so that is right at the end and I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Also, did you put in a request to either be sat by yourselves or with a group? I always request to be sat by ourselves. We're introverts!
I'm not sure because I'm getting two different things confused. We selected 1:30 pm as our arrival time and I think that was the earliest we could choose from. On our My Plans tab it says onboard at 3:45 pm. Is that the time we can get on or is that when everyone needs to be on?

Are you talking about being by ourselves at Palo or during dinner rotations?

Amex currently has $25 off $50 Instacart offers for some.

That's what I thought I saw with a can do two times. Now I can't see it on Amex. Wonder if it expired? Or, I just read it here and assumed I have it? Figured out I can get delivery at the Laurel house and that will sometimes work.

I'm not sure because I'm getting two different things confused. We selected 1:30 pm as our arrival time and I think that was the earliest we could choose from. On our My Plans tab it says onboard at 3:45 pm. Is that the time we can get on or is that when everyone needs to be on?

Are you talking about being by ourselves at Palo or during dinner rotations?
Okay. 3:45 is when you have to be onboard but you'll be onboard at 1:30. That's not terrible.

All dining rotations. They tend to put small parties together. That doesn't work for my family. First, only my vacation should be ruined by my kids! Second, I just really don't want to make small talk with strangers. Palo you will be at a table for 2.

Travel insurance question:

We have an AK cruise booked for next summer. We plan to add 1-2 weeks to explore OR/WA state before the cruise, depends on work schedules, flights, costs, etc.

The travel insurance is the same cost for 1 week or 3 (I'm only insuring cruise and excursion costs. Everything else will be booked with SW or otherwise easy to cancel and paid for with points).

Is there a downside to buying the coverage for the 3 week potential range of the trip if we may only travel for 2 weeks?

Besides the same cost for varying lengths, have you also noticed that there's a threshold at which the price will jump? Say $1000/person is $100 insurance (made up numbers), but $1001 is $150. I look for the threshold above the minimum I need it for and buy it for that amount. Because why leave "free" insurance on the table, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter