I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I just found a dollar inside some junk mail. Neilsen sent me a request to complete a written survey and return it. I opened it today, a week or so after it arrived. They are going to send $5 if I complete the survey. For some reason I didn't tear this up like most of my junk mail. Maybe I'm psychic and knew there was an actual dollar bill inside? If only Verizon would put a dollar inside all the junk mail they send me.....

I charged the deposit for our room at Pop next month to my Arrival+ last June and used my miles to erase the charge. A couple months later when the discounts for fall came out I rebooked (also using A+) and canceled my original reservation. The credit from my original deposit stuck and now I have the option of using miles to erase the new charge. Will it matter if I do this? If it doesn’t matter I may take the credit and consider it a credit towards Disneyland Paris since I’m working on figuring out ways to pay for DP without using “real money”. If it does matter, no big deal, I’ll figure out something else.

I charged the deposit for our room at Pop next month to my Arrival+ last June and used my miles to erase the charge. A couple months later when the discounts for fall came out I rebooked (also using A+) and canceled my original reservation. The credit from my original deposit stuck and now I have the option of using miles to erase the new charge. Will it matter if I do this? If it doesn’t matter I may take the credit and consider it a credit towards Disneyland Paris since I’m working on figuring out ways to pay for DP without using “real money”. If it does matter, no big deal, I’ll figure out something else.
It won't matter. I did some crazy stuff trying to use up my credit with cancelled deposits back at the beginning of the year, and then again in April/May...

Hi there!! I came across the budget board because my husband and I are planning a minimum of two future trips: one to go back to Disney just the two of us, and one to go back and bring our children for their first trip ((currently only 2 months and 2 years haha so we have some time before that one). I was hoping to find some tips for getting some good deals for Disney travel and stumbled upon this thread and am absolutely intrigued!! DH and I have actually been talking about getting a new credit card lately to help defray costs for those future Disney trips, but I am at a loss for what would be the most effective strategy... Hoping to get some advice from the gurus! :)

A little about us. We don't have tons of cards... I have a BoA Cash Rewards card that I've had for well over a decade but I RARELY spend on anymore. We have a Chase United card that we have also had for about 5 years that we put all of our expenses on currently. Within the past 24 months, the only new card we've gotten has been a card with Home Depot (5/19) to get the financing perks for a new oven (lol).

We pay off our CCs in full every month. Southwest does service our airport (DH has been pushing for the SW card but I've been unsure if that's the best option for our goals). We have enough miles with United (via prior travel and what we've earned with teh credit card) to cover the flights for the trip that the 4 of us will ultimately take, so seems we can re-focus where we do our spending at this point if that is what is most sensible. We don't have any hotel rewards programs we are part of (that I can recall... or if we are, its obviously not significant enough for me to remember....). Since we have two small children, we aren't doing much traveling for the time being, and neither of us have jobs that require travel.

Would love to figure out a way to help defray costs of any (or all) of the non-flight aspects of our future Disney trips. Any thoughts for a change in our strategy? Any specific cards you think we should look into? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer and knowledge that you can share!

Today’s r/churning DD thread contained a CITI SHUTDOWN REPORT!

According to the user:
  • (Their) account went through periodic review and due to "too many recent accounts in the last 6 months on (their) Equifax (all) accounts were being closed".
I’m not sure this is anything to be super concerned about. I don’t think anybody here is really hitting Citi that hard OR would they care if they got shutdown.

You can read more HERE.

Last edited:
I have the Disney Visa and Chase Freedom of the group above and these two do not have cell phone bill coverage. The Chase Freedom does have purchase protection but I didn't read in depth to see how extensive it is.

I have cell phone coverage of some sort on several cards so I intend to narrow it down and figure out which is best for me before I buy a new phone. I've got 3-4 months before I have to get serious, and things change. Chase just added it to IHG, which surprised me. It's a card I will keep so mindless coverage.
Thanks. I have a month or two before I buy too (also have a cracked galaxy 8). I will look into the other cards I currently have to see what they may offer. I am not planning an any new cards.

If I pay only a portion of it on a card that offers some sort of protection will I still be covered? I plan to break up the payment between a reward card I have, a debit card (gasp! - but I do get rewarded for using it) and most of it one of my credit cards.

I put our total household income (meaning basically DH's income I guess) but I've never been asked for my source. Is this for a bank or a card? I've never played with the bank bonuses.
this was the IHG card application. I have never had this question before either.

Hi there!! I came across the budget board because my husband and I are planning a minimum of two future trips: one to go back to Disney just the two of us, and one to go back and bring our children for their first trip ((currently only 2 months and 2 years haha so we have some time before that one). I was hoping to find some tips for getting some good deals for Disney travel and stumbled upon this thread and am absolutely intrigued!! DH and I have actually been talking about getting a new credit card lately to help defray costs for those future Disney trips, but I am at a loss for what would be the most effective strategy... Hoping to get some advice from the gurus! :)

A little about us. We don't have tons of cards... I have a BoA Cash Rewards card that I've had for well over a decade but I RARELY spend on anymore. We have a Chase United card that we have also had for about 5 years that we put all of our expenses on currently. Within the past 24 months, the only new card we've gotten has been a card with Home Depot (5/19) to get the financing perks for a new oven (lol).

We pay off our CCs in full every month. Southwest does service our airport (DH has been pushing for the SW card but I've been unsure if that's the best option for our goals). We have enough miles with United (via prior travel and what we've earned with teh credit card) to cover the flights for the trip that the 4 of us will ultimately take, so seems we can re-focus where we do our spending at this point if that is what is most sensible. We don't have any hotel rewards programs we are part of (that I can recall... or if we are, its obviously not significant enough for me to remember....). Since we have two small children, we aren't doing much traveling for the time being, and neither of us have jobs that require travel.

Would love to figure out a way to help defray costs of any (or all) of the non-flight aspects of our future Disney trips. Any thoughts for a change in our strategy? Any specific cards you think we should look into? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer and knowledge that you can share!

:welcome:
Most of us here start with Opening Chase UR earning cards...since the URs can be used to book hotels, airfare or cashed out.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a 60k UR bonus after spending $4k the first 3 months...if you opened one, then sent your DH a support link....between the two cards you would earn 143k URs

if you are interested in opening a Chase business card...the Chase Ink Preferred has a 80k UR bonus....and if you both open one you would earn 190k URs

also if you are interested in joining our DISchurners group on reddit...pm @SouthFayetteFan @Lain or @Albort

I am happy to report that both my JetBlue and my employee cards came in the mail today. I activated them in the same call and only know to do this from previous reports here so thank you everyone for your trial and error.

I put two small payments on my cable bill to test each card and they both went through. No Barclays prison for me! I was paranoid that I was going to be stuck with a dead card and need to fight for the AF back, but that is not the case.

I made my online account and can already see why it is painful to navigate. Lets hope I can find all of my charges between both cards and make payments without late fees 🤣

May I just vent (off topic)?

My house is only 6 years old. The handle on my microwave just broke. Replacement handles for my specific model (which apparently has been discontinued) are $60 minimum, and all the less expensive non-OEM handles won't fit my model. What the heck???? The reviews for the correct handle all get terrible reviews and none of them is available with Prime.

Grr.

Applied for SW Performance Biz yesterday after dinner. Had 30 day message. Just called, and approved.

Question.....who are these Chase elves that work overnight on approvals, and why do they torture us so? What does it take to get an instant approval?
I don’t think those elves work weekends either. Whenever I apply on a weekend, the app always goes pending. I am usually approved when I check as soon as I’m awake on Monday morning.
Just got approved yesterday for the Southwest Performance business card (yay!), and I’m hoping you experts can answer a couple of questions for me. I just realized that the card comes with 4 priority boardings each year.

I read through the terms and conditions, but I’m trying to figure out how this will work on a practical level. It sounds like I can’t try to purchase priority boarding until I get to the airport. I usually buy early bird check in. If I want to take advantage of the free priority boarding, I assume I would forgo earlybird check-in. But my question is, what happens if priority boarding is not available when I get to the airport? Then I am stuck with my junky regular boarding position? Yuck.

Also, I have a SW companion. Can I use my priority boardings on my companion too? Or just on myself?

Finally, I have a trip next Wednesday that I would like to use the priority boardings on if I think it will work out. Any chance I will get my card before then? Is there any benefit to calling Chase and asking them to expedite my card, or is it too late for that?

Many thanks!
I think you can use it for anyone. I personally find it useless. Getting upgrade boarding but not knowing until I get to the airport is not helpful. If I have a C boarding pass and there is no upgraded boarding, than I am stuck. I’ll just pay for EBCI and forget about it. I am going to be unpopular, but since SW doesn’t care about saving seats, I buy 1 EBCI and I board first. I put my carryon in my seat and stand in the seat row until DH and DS join me. It works ok because I am short and stand out of the way, plus I need someone to put my bag in the overhead anyway which DH does once he boards.
I've also baked apple strudel. Is anyone else venturing into the kitchen as it gets cooler this fall?
I’ve baked some bread and have been trying to find time to make the pretzel bites someone posted a few months ago. DHs birthday is this Saturday, so we (DS and I) will bake a cake and DS wants to do a mirror glaze on it. In-laws are coming for dinner, so that will be homemade lasagna (from scratch except the noodles).

Today’s r/churning DD thread contained a CITI SHUTDOWN REPORT!

According to the user:
  • (Their) account went through periodic review and due to "too many recent accounts in the last 6 months on (their) Equifax (all) accounts were being closed".
I’m not sure this anything to be super concerned about. I don’t think anybody here is really hitting Citi that hard OR would they care if they got shutdown.

You can read more HERE.

I’m filing this with other issuers that seem to do soft pulls on their customers occasionally and will shut them down if they find rapid increases in inquiries, accounts, or balances. I recall DPs of Chase and BofA doing something similar. This again underscores the importance of maintaining a “safe” velocity with your cards to avoid risk of shutdowns.

Are you looking to stay on-site or off-site? Buy park tickets? This is big because if you are looking at tickets or on-site hotels Chase URs are only worth their cash value and there may be other cards you should consider.

Are you willing to open "business" cards? Do you have a side hustle of any sort? Many of us here sell on ebay, tutor, sell cookies, pet watch... you get the drift ;) even a small side hustle qualifies you as having a sole-proprietorship business and that opens other cc to you.

How much will you spend on your new cc per month?

DH and I both got CSP's a year ago, the annual fee just hit on both. True to form I messed up 🤦‍♀️ and lowered our limits on those to 5,000 instead of 10,000. What are my options? I was thinking I wanted to upgrade 1 and downgrade 1, but now I'm not sure.

DH and I both got CSP's a year ago, the annual fee just hit on both. True to form I messed up 🤦‍♀️ and lowered our limits on those to 5,000 instead of 10,000. What are my options? I was thinking I wanted to upgrade 1 and downgrade 1, but now I'm not sure.
Was your goal to get a CSR card out of one of them? If so, do either of you have other personal card(s) open with ample CL? You can easily call in and move CL around between personal cards. So if you had 2 other cards each with $5k you could just move $2,500 from each of those cards and boom, you’re at $10k. You do need to leave behind some CL so that card doesn’t get closed (I typically do $1,000). You can then do the PC on the same call even.

Also, once the PC is done, you can always shift the CL back. I know it all seems odd but you just need to have $10k to complete the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts