I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My federal agency does not except for when we were doing some IT Fellows program but that was at the master level. I don’t think I never once looked at the school in all of the hiring I did. The focus was on the experience.

I am guessing that’s more of big Corp or silicone Valley thing.
For the most part I would say no, unless there's a specific reason you'd get a major from one school over another. My biz school was accredited the same as harvard's biz school, so why would it make a difference for undergrad. I think once you get to advanced degrees, and more PHD's it matters. Though I'd want to make sure it's at least a real school and not a diploma factory for a bachelors.

I do think there are some majors where it matters, but I think they are more specialized and not offered many places. Where they interned and worked during school would matter more I think.

When I'm somewhere that the person has their degrees on the wall and I see they did their undergrad and grad at the same school I just think, oh too lazy to go elsewhere, not good enough to go somewhere else etc. Though that would also depend on the quality of the school, but then I'd think, why'd you need to get your undergrad at harvard if you could go somewhere cheaper and then get your masters etc there. I think it's good to go other places to meet new minds, teachers, different environment etc.
My dh is currently not in a hiring manager role but he was for 12 years and no, what school someone went to never played a part. I doubt he even took notice. And this is one reason why our kids will do their basics at community college.
not in a position of hiring but I will say my SOs company only recruited at certain schools. when looking at schools I’d look at what companies go to the career fairs and look at alumni connections. a higher endowment is more likely to have an engaged alumni base that prefers to hire their own.
You can pay most colleges with Plastiq.

I'm not someone who hires people, but I've heard enough from DH (who does) and from my friends who all have recent college graduates. I would say it really depends on the field of interest (IB, consulting, and CS seem to be the most name conscious), the target employers (we know kids who got great jobs at large corps, but couldn't get into certain target companies), and the hiring managers. I will say that all the young graduates I know are doing well and have found positions. I know this is kind of icky (and also kind of confusing) but it really does depend on so many things that there's no one answer that would fit all.

ETA - I also know one graduate from a "top" school who didn't do so well there, and her options were much more limited than those who did well at "lesser" universities. So it also is what you make of the opportunity. If you want a summer internship at a place like GS, Google, or FB, you'd want to make sure you're in one of their preferred schools.
In my field, the big firms recruit at certain schools, so if that was the goal, its a lot easier to get "seen" if you go to one of those schools. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who got their degree elsewhere who have very successful careers - other than getting the first job, it really doesn't matter. There are a couple of programs around where I have met people who really didn't know anything they should know, despite having a degree (sometimes a masters!) in the field. I would not hire a new grad from one of those schools. I'm generally hiring people with at least 3-4 years of experience, so school is not much of a factor (but 3-4 years of experience in a big national or regional firm really helps a resume get my attention).
I paid UT vis plastiq.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Bringing up a past discussion...

I'm searching for the method of buying the cheapest SW ticket and then being able to transfer for the days you are actually wanting to fly. I may be too late for it, but my DD has booked tickets for next week and had to pay quite a bit for them due to the times she has to fly. While catching up on the thread, those posts hit me and I wondered if I'd be able to do this with her tickets?

She is going from STL to DAL and there are flights about 1/2 price of what she paid within the next two weeks.

Anyway, if someone could point me to the discussion or let me know if they think this will work I'd appreciate it :)

HEY! If we're all gonna go to bed you guys gotta let me know. I'm sitting here refreshing like...

19974752.gif

Last edited:

Bringing up a past discussion...

I'm searching for the method of buying the cheapest SW ticket and then being able to transfer for the days you are actually wanting to fly. I may be too late for it, but my DD has booked tickets for next week and had to pay quite a bit for them due to the times she has to fly. While catching up on the thread, those posts hit me and I wondered if I'd be able to do this with her tickets?

She is going from STL to DAL and there are flights about 1/2 price of what she paid within the next two weeks.

Anyway, if someone could point me to the discussion or let me know if they think this will work I'd appreciate it :)
I believe you are addressing the SW change loophole... Unfortunately, I do not bring good news...

That is a very limited loophole, tied to SW schedule revisions due to Max8. This window will open up periodically for flights 3-4 months out and only for a short time period. It happened a few weeks ago for flights around Christmas so you'd imagine the next time it will open up will be for early January or something like that... Sorry!

If you want to read up on how it works it's posted on 9/5/19 in the DISchurners news thread.

I believe you are addressing the SW change loophole... Unfortunately, I do not bring good news...

That is a very limited loophole, tied to SW schedule revisions due to Max8. This window will open up periodically for flights 3-4 months out and only for a short time period. It happened a few weeks ago for flights around Christmas so you'd imagine the next time it will open up will be for early January or something like that... Sorry!

If you want to read up on how it works it's posted on 9/5/19 in the DISchurners news thread.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I figured it wouldn't apply to her situation, but knew I could find out here for sure. Her employer is paying anyway, but I like to save them money too if possible lol!

Anyone have any tips for booking lodging in the Grand Canyon south rim? I understand it has to be booked 13 months in advance, is it like booking FPs? I need to be logged in right at 7AM on October 1st to book Oct 2020, correct?

I wouldn’t think October would be as busy as summer. I think you will be fine. Unless you are super picky where you are staying. We were able to book our June stay in March 2 years ago. But it was definitely extremely limited at that time.

You can!! Especially if you homeschool :rolleyes1
The flip side to that is they stay up until 2am. DD2 is currently making tea, it's 11:30pm.

My older two were great. They went to bed with no issues. I taught them to read the first number on the clock and that when it was an 8 they could leave their room in the morning. They either slept or played in their bedroom until then. Some mornings they'd wake me, but not often.

Then came the other 2. DS2 did not sleep through the night until he was almost 5. So many nights of sleeping in the rocker recliner with a 2yo and newborn, ugh. He's now great about sleeping, around 10pm he's done for hte day. DD2 though, she never sleeps. Then she hit her teens, up til 2am and doesn't get out of been until almost noon.

Yeah these are tiny. They make huge webs though and they normally have egg sacks on them so we have to step on those too. I still think they’re way easier to kill than the big ones that scurry around. I also found a shriveled lizard that had died yesterday and it was so sad. I should’ve had a funeral for him
I found a little lizard drowned in our outside watering can recently :(

I love lizards! I wish we had more. Lately every night when I bring my older son home from marching band, there are one or two crawling up the wall our garage light is on. (They're on all the time so the little lizards are getting a good feeding from all the NASTY BUGS that are out there).

In my last house, we had a door from the kitchen to the back patio. My kids were smaller and amongst their assortment of plastic animal toys they had a couple lizards (maybe 2 inches nose to tail). There was one under the kitchen table one day and when I crouched to pick it up it moved! It was probably pretty hilarious watching me and the boys try to get it onto a piece of paper so we could redeposit it outside.

Just a few weeks ago there was one inside my house on the bathroom wall. My husband redeposited it where it belonged :) Cute little things.

For anyone who knows about cockroaches:

We pay for a pest control company and they focus on the outside of our house with spraying and a centricon system. We’ve seen two small cockroaches in our master bath and Dh found a cockroach in our pantry today. I’m assuming I should call them about this but I’m wondering if it’s normal to get a couple here and there in the south or if I should be more worried. I see them in our garage too
You are so calm about it, that's impressive, I'm jealous. What is a centricon system?
Call them and have them come out. It's not unusual but that's why you have pest service.
Whaaat, my Realtor told me I didn't need pest service. I have not been at the house since I closed in July. This is not good.
Check your Amex Offers!

Get 20% back on your cell phone bill, up to $50. Expires 12/31/19.
Get 20% back as a statement credit by using your enrolled Business Card to pay your cell phone bill online directly with a US-based wireless provider by 12/31/19. Limit of $50 in total statement credits.

Seems targeted to Amex business cards. I got it on my Biz Plat, and DW got it on her Bonvoy Biz.

Maximize by making $250 in payment(s).
Wow, finally got one on my Bonvoy! Thanks
In all my years of living in the south, we never completely stopped seeing cockroaches. They are very difficult to get rid of in their entirety - they can survive on drops of water and almost zero food. If you have an infestation you know it, but if you don't have an infestation you will basically always have a few here and there. The really large cockroaches are looking for water. However, if you pay for pest control, you might as well call them and see what they say.
I don't think of the big ones as cockroaches aren't they called Pametto bugs or something like that? Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but they don't bother me. Seeing the little ones would have me pitching my entire pantry and calling 911 :joker:. Maybe I need a reality check.
If I see even one Arrow gets a call from me -- I can't stand them. I have a friend who says she's never seen any in 8 years in her house, normal for us is twice per year (I had a small one last week in the family room).

They can come and spray the inside of your home and set some bait inside as well (they shouldn't charge any extra for this). I always get a spiel from them "the rains have been bad (duh - it's summer in Florida), they don't live inside -- just come inside for food and water, blah blah blah -- to which I just kindly tell them I don't want to see any, ever, in our house.

I am having a huge problem with ants currently. I've had Arrow treat inside 3 times since we've been back here and I saw two on our cooktop on the weekend and one in a cookbook last week :headache: o_O.
I am not a fan of using any sprays but in this case I would have to stand down on my principles. I do recall having ant issues and an occasional palmetto bug when I lived in Miami, but never actual roaches.

Spent about 5 days at WDW last week to check out Halloween on a solo trip! Planned last minute-ish. I have an AP this year and wanted to do the Halloween Party for the first time. No regrets! Gosh, the party is great. (Much more fun than disneyland’s was last year imho.) I stayed at Gran Destino in a standard room for one night and club level for the rest both booked at AP rate. WOWZA! Loved it. Would definitely return. It’s beautiful and the rooms feel like a deluxe. I would bring ear plugs because there was a weird background sound coming from the fire alarm in both rooms. The Disney movies on demand was nice but there were only a couple available. Club was good too, will review that on the CL thread later. Paid with Disney Gift Cards gotten on different deals over the last few months.

Points! Points! Points! Ok, ok. So where did points come into play since that’s what we’re all about? Airfare I booked one way with my skypesos and one way with AA miles. Nice to have diversified currencies to grab the routes at prices I wanted! I’m a cardholder for both airlines so free bags. I bookended my trip with Hyatt Place stays using URs to Hyatt points because I left early and arrived late and didn’t want to drive tired. I used Minnie Vans for about half my transport while there because of my Altitude Reserve Real Time Rewards and about 75% of my drives ended up covered. I booked CSR but hate buses so I had budgeted for some Minnie Vans ahead of time. I have bad luck with Uber’s and Lyfts in Orlando, Minnie Vans are like 3x more expensive but not one bad experience. (I ventured to Lyft one morning and he raced right past the exit for DHS! Regretted that one. Vacation is not having to think “is this a moment to get ready call 911?” ). Since Minnie Vans bill through Lyft they trigger the 1.5x Real Time Redemption option on the AR.

While not points related this was my first solo Disney trip. I’d done a couple days with friends & then a couple days solo but first time a whole Disney trip was just me. It was so nice. It’s a lot easier to pick up 4th FPs as a solo traveler! Finished my 3 at DHS one day and refreshed a few times & got one for RNR for 10 mins later, as soon as I scanned in I got another for like a minute later and after I scanned in for that I got Slinky Dog at night! (I ended up scoring nighttime SDD as 4th/5th FP on two nights!!). It was a really fun and relaxing time that I sorely needed and was only possible because of The Game :D
Sounds great, I am tempted. It feels like I have not been to WDW for 2 or 3 years but in actuality it's only been 1.5. I have done a solo before but really prefer going early or staying after whoever I'm traveling with. What is "Altitude Reserve Real Time Rewards" I have never heard of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!