I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunchtime, so it's a good time to look at food.

As previously mentioned, Old Ebbitt Grill and The Hamilton are across the street from your hotel and are both very good.

About a month ago we tried Olivia Restaurant for the first time, which is a short stroll east on F Street NW from the hotel. It's just south of the National Portrait Gallery, in fact. Mediterranean and mostly small plates so it can add up, but everything we had was really tasty. A little further east and south at 7th and D NW is Rasika. Foodie friends of ours have described Rasika as the best Indian cuisine on the East Coast and were offended we hadn't been yet.

A little further east and north at 6th and H NW is Daikaya, a trendy noodle bar. I haven't been there yet because there's always a line. I don't stand in line for food. Go around the corner to Bantam King for cheap, delicious ramen. BK is busy, noisy, and quick. It's so good and hits the spot. Leave BK and go right around the corner down the stairs to Free State, a great cocktail bar. Get whatever they have on the menu that night. Guaranteed to leave speaking in tongues.

Do you like beer? It's a walk, but straight up 14th Street NW from the hotel into Logan Circle you'll find ChurchKey, one of the very best beer bars in the entire city. Huge selection of great beers, everything from domestic to imported to local crafts. Good Old Fashioned too if you like cocktails. The food is pretty good too, I've heard the fried chicken sandwich is surprisingly great but I never eat there, that's an inefficient use of stomach space at such a great bar.

Keep walking up 14th and you'll be in the middle of more good restaurants than you can even imagine. These are all wildly varying price points and cuisines but Le Diplomat and Great Wall Szechuan House are two I know of in the next block. Even further up at 14th and T NW are classics like Ted's Bulletin and Amsterdam Falafelshop. On the other side of T St is Colada Shop, which has the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had.

And while you're here, even better if you can convince slightly adventurous coworkers, you must have Ethiopian food. My favorite spot is Chercher at 9th and O NW, which our own @calypso726 can attest to the quality. Habesha Market at 9th and T NW is a counter service-style place but cheaper and just as good. Almost any Ethiopian restaurant is worth your time, but including those two I've also eaten at Quara (H St NE), Addis (H St NE), and Selam (16th and U NW - bring cash, the credit card reader has been out of order for 3+ years). No matter where you go, get a veggie platter and either beef or lamb tibs, or kitfo. I've often heard doro wat recommended for first timers because it's chicken (doro is chicken, wat with anything is stew), but it's very messy and not super flavorful. Tibs and kitfo are a better representation.

How about Eritrean instead of Ethiopian? I'll forgive you if you go this route instead of Ethiopian, but only if you visit Adams Morgan for Keren (intersection of 18th/Florida/U NW) or Asmara (18th and Kalorama NW). Eritrean is very similar to Ethiopian but is a bit more saucy and uses more seafood since Eritrea is a coastal country.

If you have any other specific questions let me know, there's so much good food here I'm not even scratching the surface.

Bookmarked this because we always have the hardest time figuring out food while in DC. Last time we ended up at Oyamel. It was good, I guess. Cheap *** me wasn't overly fond of the prices. I believe we paid $70 for a pitcher of margaritas. That is wayyyyy too much in my books. lol I could tell it was a trendy place, and I am not into that, or the small plate/big price thing. Twice we ended up at Capitol City Brewing, which is more my speed. So I am not sure if these recommendations are for me, but I will look at them. Usually we stand around desperately looking at yelp to see if we can agree on anything.

Now to figure out how I see my bookmarks.

If you used the 180k points for 2 nights and then URs for the last 3 nights, would it be more than 90k URs?

Any other Hilton cards you want to consider? Perhaps for you instead?

I have no idea if this will work, but have seen a DP of clicking through an e-mail offer getting rid of the pop-up.

So I have 180k Hilton points right now. I would purchase an additional 180k for $900 (that's what they cost with the current 100% offer) then I would cash out 90,000 UR points to reimburse myself (I'm trying not to pay anything out of pocket). At this point I would have 360k Hilton points and can book 4 nights with a 5th night free. My Free Night Certificate would cover the 6th night.

Would love to consider other Hilton cards, but I am also getting the pop-up. In the past 5 years, I have gotten 1 AMEX card, and my wife has gotten zero, so I am shocked that we are getting the pop-up, but all I can do is try and figure out some alternatives.

@DisneyMandC you and my 73 year old father with your rose gold iPhones :rotfl:

My mom and I were so confused when he chose that one haha

We are about to finish the MSR on my CIP. DH got a CIC at the same time and I am going nuts waiting to finish that one because I need to wait another 2ish weeks before plastiq-ing a student loan on there. Idk why I am in such a rush since I won’t have a MSR to work on then until end of Oct! (Besides the citi which i’m just handling with the mortgage).

@DisneyMandC you and my 73 year old father with your rose gold iPhones :rotfl:

My mom and I were so confused when he chose that one haha

We are about to finish the MSR on my CIP. DH got a CIC at the same time and I am going nuts waiting to finish that one because I need to wait another 2ish weeks before plastiq-ing a student loan on there. Idk why I am in such a rush since I won’t have a MSR to work on then until end of Oct! (Besides the citi which i’m just handling with the mortgage).

My BFF has a loose diamond that she and her now husband had made into her engagement ring, so they just had to pick out the setting. She chose rose gold, and I have to say that I’m pretty jealous that I didn’t think of that. It looks so good.

I do see it now for our theater. I don't know if I am ready. lol I wanted to do some rewatching first.

Yeah I definitely don’t remember a ton but I did rewatch seasons 1 and 2 not that long ago. I was a huge fan of the show though so I’m very excited. Some of you may recall that DH and I went to the Biltmore last year for the Titanic costume exhibit, and they’re now going to do the Downton Abbey exhibit there starting in december, so I’m trying to figure out how to finagle another trip down there...

So I have 180k Hilton points right now. I would purchase an additional 180k for $900 (that's what they cost with the current 100% offer) then I would cash out 90,000 UR points to reimburse myself (I'm trying not to pay anything out of pocket). At this point I would have 360k Hilton points and can book 4 nights with a 5th night free. My Free Night Certificate would cover the 6th night.

Would love to consider other Hilton cards, but I am also getting the pop-up. In the past 5 years, I have gotten 1 AMEX card, and my wife has gotten zero, so I am shocked that we are getting the pop-up, but all I can do is try and figure out some alternatives.

Was just curious if you took the 3 cheapest consecutive nights of your stay and booked through the Chase portal, if it would be more than 90k URs. So if you had the CSR, would it be more than $1350 for 3 nights?

Crazy that your wife has gotten zero cards and is getting the pop-up. :(

Ok So actually the movie is very cute! My older girls -teens didn't want to see it. But my son did. And it was a rainy day so we went. Actually had another 15 yr old girl over and she was excited to see it. It is corny in spots. And they did have a few flash backs to the original cartoon style show. But it was still cute. Some laugh outloud stuff for my son and the friend. My daughters still weren't impressed after. But they are teen age girls. so my expectations are low sometimes.

I would best compare it to "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with Brendan Fraser or the sequel "Journey 2" with The Rock. They throw in some adventure and some silly.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised. Plus I had won two free tickets to it from DailyBreak. Get that!
I think we’re gonna go see it anyway. Today is the cheaper movie day if you go before 5 and Dh agreed to go. I like the journey to the center of the earth movies so I’m sure I’ll like it enough.

Was just curious if you took the 3 cheapest consecutive nights of your stay and booked through the Chase portal, if it would be more than 90k URs. So if you had the CSR, would it be more than $1350 for 3 nights?

Crazy that your wife has gotten zero cards and is getting the pop-up. :(

Yes I did compare it as you said. The hotel is about $600 per night. So using the CSR, those 3 nights would work out to 120k UR points. So yes comparing that to the 90k it would cost me to buy the additional Hilton points, it seems to make sense.

Looking for some advice from you wonderful people.

I'm planning a trip to a Hilton next summer that costs 90,000 points per night. Would like to stay 6 nights.

1 night is already taken care of by a Free Night Certificate. So that leaves 5 nights. It will take 360,000 Hilton points to cover those 5 nights using the 5th night free benefit.

I currently have 180,000 points and had planned on getting the majority of the remainder through a Hilton Aspire SUB for my wife. Problem is she got the Pop-Up. This m*****f****n pop-up has completely ruined my plans. Please excuse my language.

So what do I do? I see Hilton has a 100% bonus right now on purchased points. I could buy 180,000 points for $900 and then cash out 90,000 URs to reimburse myself. This would essentially be the same as transferring URs to Hilton at a 2 to 1 ratio. I'm thinking that is my best option, but wanted to run it by this group first to see if anyone has any better ideas.

As always, thank you all for helping me out!

Hello Brian, if this is the Hilton I'm thinking it is, I think your UR strategy is right on the money. It will enable you to get the 5th night free benefit, plus the cash price is quite a bit higher than the perceived cost of your points, so you are still winning.

The other aspect is variable pricing. There are 90k rooms now. They might not be there for long and the other room options seem to be outrageously priced in points - I thought I was looking at the cost for multiple days! I'd get it booked asap.

I feel your pain on the pop up. I got it for the recent Hilton Biz card, and it threw me for a loop, but then Chase came by and threw some UR's in my lap with my 7/24 approval.

If it's not the room, disregard and good luck to you.

I'm going through MSR-withdrawal and looking for a business card to help until I am under 5/24 (just a few months!).

I'm looking at US Bank, specifically the Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard. IIRC, I might have a problem because US Bank wants a "relationship" and I don't have any US Bank accounts (and haven't ever).

Can someone confirm this? If it's true, I might have to venture into bank bonuses . . . is US Bank's banking bonus pretty easy?

I just recently got this card. $500 SUB when you spend $4500 in 150 days. I have had bank accounts with them but they were all closed, only open for bank bonuses. Had to wait to see if I was approved and then I was approved with a $500 credit limit.... I called them and they said they would have to do another hard pull and within a few days my credit limit increased to $10,000. So, I just finished the spend on that card as I was able to put my Mortgage on their thru Plastiq.

I'm going through MSR-withdrawal and looking for a business card to help until I am under 5/24 (just a few months!).

I'm looking at US Bank, specifically the Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard. IIRC, I might have a problem because US Bank wants a "relationship" and I don't have any US Bank accounts (and haven't ever).

Can someone confirm this? If it's true, I might have to venture into bank bonuses . . . is US Bank's banking bonus pretty easy?

I just recently got this card. $500 SUB when you spend $4500 in 150 days. I have had bank accounts with them but they were all closed, only open for bank bonuses. Had to wait to see if I was approved and then I was approved with a $500 credit limit.... I called them and they said they would have to do another hard pull and within a few days my credit limit increased to $10,000. So, I just finished the spend on that card as I was able to put my Mortgage on their thru Plastiq.
OHHHH I was just looking at Aruba! We're a family of 6 as well. Are you going to get 2 rooms? I cant figure out how to make it happen....we're looking at March 15-20th for Spring Break.

I have Aruba booked for January (before kids head back to college). Used AA 15,000 pts each way so 120,000 points total. I had a bunch of Marriott points. Have 2 nights at the Renaissance and 3 nights at the Stellaris Hotel. (Could not get all 5 nights at Stellaris so broke it up). Since I had extra AA Points and Marriott points - I used them and now my Brother, SIL and Niece are joining us.

Ha! No, I'm rocking the rose gold iPhone 8 #millennial

The attorney I know who carries the palm pilot is an extremely nice older gentleman. He recently had to move offices after he'd been in the same spot for 30 years. He told me that he had some trouble getting his phone number transferred to his new office, so he left an answering machine in his old office and would just go over every day for a week and check it for messages. Yes, that's right. An answering machine, NOT voicemail. He physically had to go there to listen to it. :rotfl2:

Even that is weird! you could usually dial into answering machines remotely 30-40 years ago. I know - I had one.

My BFF has a loose diamond that she and her now husband had made into her engagement ring, so they just had to pick out the setting. She chose rose gold, and I have to say that I’m pretty jealous that I didn’t think of that. It looks so good.

Yeah I definitely don’t remember a ton but I did rewatch seasons 1 and 2 not that long ago. I was a huge fan of the show though so I’m very excited. Some of you may recall that DH and I went to the Biltmore last year for the Titanic costume exhibit, and they’re now going to do the Downton Abbey exhibit there starting in december, so I’m trying to figure out how to finagle another trip down there...

Go go,,,,so you can come back and tell me all about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter