I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you seen the Dora movie? We haven’t been to a movie in awhile and I really want to go to one. It surprisingly has good reviews.

Oh no no no...I can't stand the cartoons. I mean this kid is wandering around the jungle saying "look Boots, crocodillos." Um, WHERE ARE THE PARENTS??? WHERE IS CPS?? The year or two DD watched it I would go bezerk, seriously. Even now, my family knows not to mention Dora... 🤣

Lunchtime, so it's a good time to look at food.

As previously mentioned, Old Ebbitt Grill and The Hamilton are across the street from your hotel and are both very good.

About a month ago we tried Olivia Restaurant for the first time, which is a short stroll east on F Street NW from the hotel. It's just south of the National Portrait Gallery, in fact. Mediterranean and mostly small plates so it can add up, but everything we had was really tasty. A little further east and south at 7th and D NW is Rasika. Foodie friends of ours have described Rasika as the best Indian cuisine on the East Coast and were offended we hadn't been yet.

A little further east and north at 6th and H NW is Daikaya, a trendy noodle bar. I haven't been there yet because there's always a line. I don't stand in line for food. Go around the corner to Bantam King for cheap, delicious ramen. BK is busy, noisy, and quick. It's so good and hits the spot. Leave BK and go right around the corner down the stairs to Free State, a great cocktail bar. Get whatever they have on the menu that night. Guaranteed to leave speaking in tongues.

Do you like beer? It's a walk, but straight up 14th Street NW from the hotel into Logan Circle you'll find ChurchKey, one of the very best beer bars in the entire city. Huge selection of great beers, everything from domestic to imported to local crafts. Good Old Fashioned too if you like cocktails. The food is pretty good too, I've heard the fried chicken sandwich is surprisingly great but I never eat there, that's an inefficient use of stomach space at such a great bar.

Keep walking up 14th and you'll be in the middle of more good restaurants than you can even imagine. These are all wildly varying price points and cuisines but Le Diplomat and Great Wall Szechuan House are two I know of in the next block. Even further up at 14th and T NW are classics like Ted's Bulletin and Amsterdam Falafelshop. On the other side of T St is Colada Shop, which has the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had.

And while you're here, even better if you can convince slightly adventurous coworkers, you must have Ethiopian food. My favorite spot is Chercher at 9th and O NW, which our own @calypso726 can attest to the quality. Habesha Market at 9th and T NW is a counter service-style place but cheaper and just as good. Almost any Ethiopian restaurant is worth your time, but including those two I've also eaten at Quara (H St NE), Addis (H St NE), and Selam (16th and U NW - bring cash, the credit card reader has been out of order for 3+ years). No matter where you go, get a veggie platter and either beef or lamb tibs, or kitfo. I've often heard doro wat recommended for first timers because it's chicken (doro is chicken, wat with anything is stew), but it's very messy and not super flavorful. Tibs and kitfo are a better representation.

How about Eritrean instead of Ethiopian? I'll forgive you if you go this route instead of Ethiopian, but only if you visit Adams Morgan for Keren (intersection of 18th/Florida/U NW) or Asmara (18th and Kalorama NW). Eritrean is very similar to Ethiopian but is a bit more saucy and uses more seafood since Eritrea is a coastal country.

If you have any other specific questions let me know, there's so much good food here I'm not even scratching the surface.

I have no plans to visit DC anytime soon, but I still bookmarked this post! ::yes::

Did you find it? It is in the UR portal under benefits, and you activate it.

Though when I PC'd my Freedom last month and went in, it already said activated :confused3 so I just SM'd for a new one, it's supposed to be coming...

No because I don't know my password so I have to wait until I'm home later 😀

Temp job that was supposed to.be longer and maybe perm is done tomorrow. Still waiting to see what changed. Bit bummed but nothing I can do about it. Someday I'll have a real job again.

Looking for some advice from you wonderful people.

I'm planning a trip to a Hilton next summer that costs 90,000 points per night. Would like to stay 6 nights.

1 night is already taken care of by a Free Night Certificate. So that leaves 5 nights. It will take 360,000 Hilton points to cover those 5 nights using the 5th night free benefit.

I currently have 180,000 points and had planned on getting the majority of the remainder through a Hilton Aspire SUB for my wife. Problem is she got the Pop-Up. This m*****f****n pop-up has completely ruined my plans. Please excuse my language.

So what do I do? I see Hilton has a 100% bonus right now on purchased points. I could buy 180,000 points for $900 and then cash out 90,000 URs to reimburse myself. This would essentially be the same as transferring URs to Hilton at a 2 to 1 ratio. I'm thinking that is my best option, but wanted to run it by this group first to see if anyone has any better ideas.

As always, thank you all for helping me out!

Oh no no no...I can't stand the cartoons. I mean this kid is wandering around the jungle saying "look Boots, crocodillos." Um, WHERE ARE THE PARENTS??? WHERE IS CPS?? The year or two DD watched it I would go bezerk, seriously. Even now, my family knows not to mention Dora... 🤣
I hated the cartoon as a kid but the live action movie actually has good reviews lol.

I know with the clawbacks some people aren't feeling the love with Amex, but I remain a fangirl.

This am, both DD and DH's cars were broken into (not very dramatic-DH always leaves his unlocked and I thought I locked DD's but I was wrong) and her "car wallet" was stolen and her rose gold Amex was used. The helpful csr and fraud person were able to tell me what time and Amex's system showed where, so although my idiocy made Mr Young Cute Police Officer work, at least I had some data for him.

Her card was immediately discontinued, the charges will be reversed and a shiny new pink card is on its way. So valuable lesson learned (make sure the car is locked) and I am still impressed with Amex's efficiency. They were so fast with the changes that I was happy I had DD's old last 5 numbers memorized from this am to give to the officer b/c the old numbers are already erased from online presence.

TL;DR lock your doors (duh, btw).

Quoting myself from the day it happened...

In July DD and DH's cars were broken into. Through some impressive detective work the Pensacola PD found the guy which is good news. Since he apparently has um, issues with rules (he was out on supervised release) it is likely he will actually return to court, again, for those of us who love rules, good news.

The not so good news is his trial is set for Dec 30, which is the day the Dream sets sail for my entire family's celebration of Mom and Dad's Golden Anniversary. So while I would actually prefer to hang out in the courtroom versus family drama, that wouldn't go over well, especially since DH is not happy about spending his vacation with my family (me neither). So today I'll be picking my bestie's brain about the correct way to phrase my email trying to not have to be there, then emailing DD a template since she is on the list as well (oh, and very very happy about it as you can imagine).

Anyway, sometimes bad guys do get caught I suppose is the upshot :)

I'm planning a trip to a Hilton next summer that costs 90,000 points per night. Would like to stay 6 nights.

1 night is already taken care of by a Free Night Certificate. So that leaves 5 nights. It will take 360,000 Hilton points to cover those 5 nights using the 5th night free benefit.

I currently have 180,000 points and had planned on getting the majority of the remainder through a Hilton Aspire SUB for my wife. Problem is she got the Pop-Up. This m*****f****n pop-up has completely ruined my plans. Please excuse my language.

So what do I do? I see Hilton has a 100% bonus right now on purchased points. I could buy 180,000 points for $900 and then cash out 90,000 URs to reimburse myself. This would essentially be the same as transferring URs to Hilton at a 2 to 1 ratio. I'm thinking that is my best option, but wanted to run it by this group first to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Probably not a great value but can you transfer MR maybe when they have a bonus when you transfer?

If you used the 180k points for 2 nights and then URs for the last 3 nights, would it be more than 90k URs?

Any other Hilton cards you want to consider? Perhaps for you instead?

I have no idea if this will work, but have seen a DP of clicking through an e-mail offer getting rid of the pop-up.

Is this "someone" you? 🤔 You can be honest 🤣

I always wanted one, but my dad said I didn't need it. Look at me now Dad! I am going to upgrade my XS Max tomorrow because I "NEED" it 🤑

Ha! No, I'm rocking the rose gold iPhone 8 #millennial

The attorney I know who carries the palm pilot is an extremely nice older gentleman. He recently had to move offices after he'd been in the same spot for 30 years. He told me that he had some trouble getting his phone number transferred to his new office, so he left an answering machine in his old office and would just go over every day for a week and check it for messages. Yes, that's right. An answering machine, NOT voicemail. He physically had to go there to listen to it. :rotfl2:

Have any of you seen the Dora movie? We haven’t been to a movie in awhile and I really want to go to one. It surprisingly has good reviews.
Ok So actually the movie is very cute! My older girls -teens didn't want to see it. But my son did. And it was a rainy day so we went. Actually had another 15 yr old girl over and she was excited to see it. It is corny in spots. And they did have a few flash backs to the original cartoon style show. But it was still cute. Some laugh outloud stuff for my son and the friend. My daughters still weren't impressed after. But they are teen age girls. so my expectations are low sometimes.

I would best compare it to "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with Brendan Fraser or the sequel "Journey 2" with The Rock. They throw in some adventure and some silly.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised. Plus I had won two free tickets to it from DailyBreak. Get that!

Quoting myself from the day it happened...

In July DD and DH's cars were broken into. Through some impressive detective work the Pensacola PD found the guy which is good news. Since he apparently has um, issues with rules (he was out on supervised release) it is likely he will actually return to court, again, for those of us who love rules, good news.

The not so good news is his trial is set for Dec 30, which is the day the Dream sets sail for my entire family's celebration of Mom and Dad's Golden Anniversary. So while I would actually prefer to hang out in the courtroom versus family drama, that wouldn't go over well, especially since DH is not happy about spending his vacation with my family (me neither). So today I'll be picking my bestie's brain about the correct way to phrase my email trying to not have to be there, then emailing DD a template since she is on the list as well (oh, and very very happy about it as you can imagine).

Anyway, sometimes bad guys do get caught I suppose is the upshot :)

You can just call your prosecutor and let them know. It happens frequently. Their availability/ease of moving the date depends on a lot of different factors, but it's certainly not unheard of for a witness to call and say they're unavailable, especially during the holidays.

Lunchtime, so it's a good time to look at food.

As previously mentioned, Old Ebbitt Grill and The Hamilton are across the street from your hotel and are both very good.

About a month ago we tried Olivia Restaurant for the first time, which is a short stroll east on F Street NW from the hotel. It's just south of the National Portrait Gallery, in fact. Mediterranean and mostly small plates so it can add up, but everything we had was really tasty. A little further east and south at 7th and D NW is Rasika. Foodie friends of ours have described Rasika as the best Indian cuisine on the East Coast and were offended we hadn't been yet.

A little further east and north at 6th and H NW is Daikaya, a trendy noodle bar. I haven't been there yet because there's always a line. I don't stand in line for food. Go around the corner to Bantam King for cheap, delicious ramen. BK is busy, noisy, and quick. It's so good and hits the spot. Leave BK and go right around the corner down the stairs to Free State, a great cocktail bar. Get whatever they have on the menu that night. Guaranteed to leave speaking in tongues.

Do you like beer? It's a walk, but straight up 14th Street NW from the hotel into Logan Circle you'll find ChurchKey, one of the very best beer bars in the entire city. Huge selection of great beers, everything from domestic to imported to local crafts. Good Old Fashioned too if you like cocktails. The food is pretty good too, I've heard the fried chicken sandwich is surprisingly great but I never eat there, that's an inefficient use of stomach space at such a great bar.

Keep walking up 14th and you'll be in the middle of more good restaurants than you can even imagine. These are all wildly varying price points and cuisines but Le Diplomat and Great Wall Szechuan House are two I know of in the next block. Even further up at 14th and T NW are classics like Ted's Bulletin and Amsterdam Falafelshop. On the other side of T St is Colada Shop, which has the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had.

And while you're here, even better if you can convince slightly adventurous coworkers, you must have Ethiopian food. My favorite spot is Chercher at 9th and O NW, which our own @calypso726 can attest to the quality. Habesha Market at 9th and T NW is a counter service-style place but cheaper and just as good. Almost any Ethiopian restaurant is worth your time, but including those two I've also eaten at Quara (H St NE), Addis (H St NE), and Selam (16th and U NW - bring cash, the credit card reader has been out of order for 3+ years). No matter where you go, get a veggie platter and either beef or lamb tibs, or kitfo. I've often heard doro wat recommended for first timers because it's chicken (doro is chicken, wat with anything is stew), but it's very messy and not super flavorful. Tibs and kitfo are a better representation.

How about Eritrean instead of Ethiopian? I'll forgive you if you go this route instead of Ethiopian, but only if you visit Adams Morgan for Keren (intersection of 18th/Florida/U NW) or Asmara (18th and Kalorama NW). Eritrean is very similar to Ethiopian but is a bit more saucy and uses more seafood since Eritrea is a coastal country.

If you have any other specific questions let me know, there's so much good food here I'm not even scratching the surface.
Sigh... DC is really an amazing restaurant town. I was trying to get my DH to tag along on the trip, and stay an extra weekend (which would have given us WAY more meals to enjoy), but he can't get away. I will have to see who is going - I'm the only person from my company that will be there, but I have former colleagues/other people that I've connected with over the years I will be hanging out with. Unfortunately I don't think I could get any of them to do Ethiopian or Eritrean. I haven't had Eritrean, but if its anything like Ethiopian, I'd be in. Either one would be my first choice, but I'd feel wierd about eating Ethiopian alone. Just seems like it should be communal, and the more people you have, the more different dishes you can try. I'm actually entertained to think of 2 of the guys even contemplating a big platter of food and a stack of injera. One says he's a foodie, but he's much more up for Italian or Mexican than anything Asian or African, and the other would eat a hamburger for every meal if he had his way.

Not a beer girl, but if I can corrale people into going to Free State, I sure will. The Hamilton and The Old Ebbitt Grill both look likely for the crowd I'll be wtih.
Thank you for your thoughts. I'm hoping to find time to sneak off and hit at least one or two museums, although the conference schedule is pretty packed. When I'm only in DC for a short trip I always wind up at the Sackler and the Freer, haven't been to the National Portrait Gallery in ages.

Yes, I am using ublock origins. Seems to work. I've had a peaceful morning. Yesterday one pop up nearly gave me heart failure as it was a siren and my sound was not turned off as it usually is. For a hot second I thought it was a smoke detector. That's when I handed computer to techie type daughter and said 'fix this'.

If a pop-up does come up, u can actually right click on the ad and manually block it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts