I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea! I'm clearly not "hip" enough for this crowd. :rotfl:

Also, for the Safeway GCs, can I ask again what the deal is right now? And are both MC and Visa ok if I'm not trying to MS them? Oh, and do I still need to worry about MSRs there (with AMEX)?

Safeway is running a deal on Visa Gift Cards now until 8/3/19. This time it's fixed value $50 and $100 VGCs:

• Save $10 on 2x $50 VGC ($4.95 activation fee/each, $0.10 savings)

• Save $15 on 2x $100 VGC ($5.95 activation fee/each, $3.10 savings)

Add the Just4U coupons to your account(s) on the Safeway app. Limit 1 per account.

Sometimes it's the same deal on fixed value $50 and $100 MCGCs. Safeway seems be running these deals more frequently, about once a month and even sometimes concurrently. Last month, Safeway had a $10 off deal on $100+ VGCs that worked on variable load VGCs up to $500 ($5.95 activation fee, $4.05 savings).

As you can see, these deals are slight moneymakers. When paying with Amex cards, I always throw in random grocery items that I need to buy anyway so the transaction isn't a telltale $xxx.95 charge that's a giveaway to the RATs. I treat the savings on the VGC/MCGC like a coupon on my grocery.

The real boon comes with paying with a credit card that earns a high bonus at supermarkets, like the Amex Gold for 4x Membership Rewards Points, Amex Hilton Surpass for 6x Hilton Honors Points, or Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% cash back; another card that has supermarkets as its quarterly bonus category; or a card on which you're working on the MSR.

I think you mentioned you're working on your Amex Gold MSR? If you do both deals, your Gold would earn 4x MR on $396.80 (for $400 in VGCs) plus make that amount of a dent in your MSR. If DH or DD have Safeway accounts, you can add this deal to their accounts and type in their phone number at checkout to do it again. I wouldn't worry about buying prepaid or gift cards at Safeway to meet an Amex MSR. Safeway doesn't report L3 data to Amex. Add this deal with your regular grocery shopping if you want to obscure your purchase further. I've personally done it for several of my Amex MSRs. I've... catered many big dinners and company parties at Safeway on my Amex cards.

While you've made progress on your MSR and/or earned 4x MR (or whatever bonus multiplier), and can spend down the VGC/MCGC anytime without a deadline, the problem is liquidating these cards. Unless you have a way to MS, you're floating money in the VGC/MCGC. I mostly use the VGCs at Costco where I spend a hundred+ dollars per trip since Costco doesn't accept Amex, and get 4x MR on my Costco spend that way. I use the MCGCs to pay bills on Plastiq since they've been coding as debit with only a 1% fee, and since I bought the MCGC at 4x MR that still puts me ahead.

Since you'd be floating money in VGC/MCGC, be vigilant that your gift card's packaging hasn't been compromised. There have been increasing reports of gift card fraud tied to tampered packaging, i.e., scammers gain access to a gift card's numbers before it's sold and wait until they're activated to drain them remotely. I've previously written up some tips here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60519331

Just let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you all so much for your help a few months ago. After back and forth spouse and I decided that I should apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve with him as an added user. I was approved and look forward to churning! First bill will be youngest daughter's fall school sixth grade tuition which will automatically get me the bonus points. :-) Then we'll set up the mortgage to come off that card every month.

Just catching up and didn’t see a response to this (if there was I missed it). It might not be what you meant but you won’t be able to pay for a mortgage with the CSR through Plastiq. If you plan on using Plastiq you need to use a MasterCard or a Discover (not Visa).

@Limes96 I am sorry about the pop up. Are you carrying a balance on any 0% cards? That could be a reason too. Or maybe it is a theory like I think @gottalovepluto had that it depends on Amex generally and not anything more specific to the person.

@Haley R I want lawn chairs like that too. I haven’t seen any like that in real life for years. Last time I saw them was watching Stranger Things last week!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I cannot pull up a support link for the CIP and for the SW cards. I was able to for other cards which is frustrating. I get this message "Thank you for visiting Chase. Our systems indicate that you already have the (Support)-A-Friend website open. Please close all browser sessions and try again." It happens even after I close everything and when I use a different browser. Has this happened to anyone else?

:badpc::badpc::badpc:
That happening to me as well, although I was able to get it to work on a different browser. Frustrating! Maybe try mobile?

Is that the only difference? So all of the information out there about Serve also applies to Bluebird, except that you can only load at Walmart?

I was thinking about getting into the Serve MS game, but thought I needed to close my Bluebird first. Have not touched the BlueBird card since 5 years ago when you could get $500 Vanilla Reloads and load them online.

relating to the ms stuff it’s the same. The load process and the monthly limit I’m pretty sure are the same and that Mastercard gift cards are YMMV so stick with VGCs. Also is fee free if you have a 0 statement balance. Im sure there are some differences but nothing that I can think of relating to loading them with GCs. You can have five bluebird cards and five serve cards two of each can be active at once so no need to close the bluebird card.

Just catching up and didn’t see a response to this (if there was I missed it). It might not be what you meant but you won’t be able to pay for a mortgage with the CSR through Plastiq. If you plan on using Plastiq you need to use a MasterCard or a Discover (not Visa).

@Limes96 I am sorry about the pop up. Are you carrying a balance on any 0% cards? That could be a reason too. Or maybe it is a theory like I think @gottalovepluto had that it depends on Amex generally and not anything more specific to the person.

@Haley R I want lawn chairs like that too. I haven’t seen any like that in real life for years. Last time I saw them was watching Stranger Things last week!
I just don't think I should have to pay $40 for a beach chair. That seems so ridiculous.

What do you all think about the Marriott cards? Specifically Amex. Business and personal. I like the fact you can book rooms on points advance. I also like that I can transfer MR points to Marriott. Another plus is the Swan and Dolphin. Of course this all mute if I get the dreaded pop- up. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter