I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really? Maybe I'll wait then. It's a good thing to start thinking about though. Why is fall better? Just because kids are back in school?
Yes you’ll see the cheapest rates Sept though Jan minus holiday weeks. Anytime school is in session DCl prices are lower. The Fall is the cheapest time to cruise on any cruise line. Hurricane season is one factor, but it’s also a slow time for travel. People are saving up for holiday travel and Christmas spending. They’re also coming off Summer vacations. when I flew to mco last September there were 80 empty seats on the plane. Mco felt like a ghost town. I love Fall travel. Were doing a transaltiic on DCL in Sept and are paying about 130.00 pp.
I booked hotels in London and NYC using points so we’re all set.

I still have to do this. Not looking forward to it. What do you mean call the U.K. number to upgrade?
Flyertalk people suggest calling the UK number if you can, esp if you are going to try to con them into converting to a higher category that what you were bonvoyed into getting post merger. I guess they are easier to sway.

We did a balcony for our first cruise and loved it. Next cruise we booked an oceanview and the third is going to be an interior. I think it depends on where you are sailing as well. If I were to do Panama Canal or Alaska, I would sure go for a balcony.

My thoughts exactly. We usually get an inside cabin, where with a couple covered LED lights (thermostat), we sleep great in a cool, pitch-black room. But a balcony is great for scenic itineraries.

Also, I can't recall if you own DVC or not, but their Member's Only Cruises are fantastic. Last time we went they skipped Nassau all together and visited Castaway Cay twice (because that's what the members wanted). We were on a Member's Cruise once when Pirate Night actually fell on International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Passengers brought top-notch costumes!

I've always showed them the card when we were seated and they take the card (along with other credit card to pay balance of bill) when they bring us the bill. It's always worked very smoothly for us.

I've always showed them the card when we were seated and they take the card (along with other credit card to pay balance of bill) when they bring us the bill. It's always worked very smoothly for us.
Thanks!

@hsmamato2 This happened to us. We went in a PP restaurant with 4 of us and the waitress billed us for 4 people even though we only ordered 2 entrees and 2 cokes. I would just ask before ordering. I would have had my DH order a coke on a separate tab to keep from being charged for the 4th person. She wouldn't change it when I asked either. Luckily, I was able to get it credited back but it was a hassle.
How is that possible? I thought they had to use the credits (I guess it's for 3?) and number of people at table doesn't matter? BTW this only works for sit down in restaurant right? no ordering to go?

ok..... is there a link to a more detailed discussion of the why/how of upgrading/downgrading for CSR etc...thanks

My thoughts exactly. We usually get an inside cabin, where with a couple covered LED lights (thermostat), we sleep great in a cool, pitch-black room. But a balcony is great for scenic itineraries.

Also, I can't recall if you own DVC or not, but their Member's Only Cruises are fantastic. Last time we went they skipped Nassau all together and visited Castaway Cay twice (because that's what the members wanted). We were on a Member's Cruise once when Pirate Night actually fell on International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Passengers brought top-notch costumes!
I was surprised at how bright those little lights are...glad they are next to the door and not in the center of the room.

We do plan on going on a DVC cruise in the future...I am not a big beach, roast in the sun type of person...but any destination is better than the work place!

Bjs had a pay with PayPal option so I did that

I can verify that checking out with Paypal did code as 5%. I did a small test payment on a $50 card which has since posted. Now I am weighing out whether or not it is worth it to get DH a Discover. This category would be easy to max out with BJ's and Disney and then last quarter is Amazon so that is easy too. Despite the fact that it is a personal card I am thinking it would be worth a spot. (He is only 2/24 anyway).

Last edited:
Just a reminder that Chase Shutdown risk is still a real thing. There’s a reason we harp on pacing and velocity...

EDIT: this may not be a shutdown due to application velocity BUT I'm not looking to dissect these any more. All I know is, that we all follow a conservative approach here and nobody here was ever shut down (and we're sticking to that plan!)

Last edited:
Erm, um, the thought just might have crossed my mind...:o

Wow, between the FL resident and MTY I'd really like to drop everything and do the BI or Norwegian Fjords cruise. Sigh...
Slight rant...

Home from our "exciting" LA adventure. We were on the 20th floor of the 23 floor Residence Inn in the LA Live area. I think a great use of points at 35k a night where the cash price was just over $600/night. First night around 10p the fire alarm goes off. We leave into the hall, walk by the elevator where, I assume they are fire doors, have blocked the elevator bank. We proceed down 20 floors in not much more than night ware and shoes. The exits drop us on the back side of the building into an alley. We wait, but it doesn't seem like more than 50 or so people out there. We start to walk around the front back to the entrance and look inside to see it looks like business as usual. People are asking the front desk and the elevator security guard and they just say it was nothing and we can go back up. Um...thanks for coming to tell us that it WASN'T an emergency. I guess it was only our floor. Night two was no alarm, but the earthquake at 8:20p. Third night and wouldn't you guess at about 9pm. The dang alarm is going off again. Jump up and back down 20 flights of stairs. Back in the alley and around front...same scene as the first time. I would think someone would be nice enough to maybe say as we were coming back in that everything is clear, maybe, oh, I don't know, apologize, and maybe offer a little water or something. Not that great of an experience and the staff didn't handle it all that well. I half thought of calling the fire department on their behalf as they could care less about the alarm or anything else going on with that situation but didn't want to take them from a real emergency.

Also wanted to shower the morning we left, but there were no bath towels replaced from the ones they took the day before. Wasn't going to wait at 4am to have towels come up and maybe get to us in time.

Oh well...we made it back and nice to be back on stable ground.

Have you written the hotel to voice your issues? They should compensate you in some way -- that's not acceptable.

We had a somewhat similar situation when dd was a baby (less than a year old). We were at the Sheraton in Montreal. In the middle of the night the fire alarm went off. It was turned off quickly, so we stayed in the room. Went back to sleep, and it goes off again. Then after less than a minute it is turned off. Within 10 minutes (dd was screaming by this time), it goes off again and this time we decided to peak out the door to see what was going on. There was light smoke in the hallway. We left the room with nothing more than our pjs. We got outside (in the dead of winter in Montreal -- think freezing cold) and walked around to the front of the hotel to wait inside, but we weren't allowed inside. Thank goodness dh had grabbed the car keys on his way out - he ran to get the car in his pjs and shoes through the snow and we waited for about 90 minutes for the fire department to allow us back in. Turns out it was a small fire in the kitchen the staff thought they could handle themselves, but clearly they couldn't. When I spoke to management the next morning they offered us free breakfast and said I was the only guest to complain (which I had a very hard time believing). They ended up comping us the night -- we haven't stayed at the property since as clearly they didn't take the safety of guests seriously.

Just wanted to run my future credit card plans by you experts, to make sure I don't do anything totally boneheaded.

I got the Chase SW Plus personal card in 11/2017. I totally messed up with my MS, such that my bonus points hit my account 12/28/17.

Then I got the Chase SW Premier personal card in 12/2018. Bonus points hit 1/12/18.

Then I got the Chase business SW card in 1/2018. Bonus points hit 2/19/18.

I cancelled each of those SW cards right after getting the anniversary points, and Chase refunded the annual fees.

Then I ventured into the world of Chase, and got my first CIP on 2/13/19.

I recently learned about self-referring, and got approved for my second CIP today (7/8/19).

Our SW companion pass expires at the end of this year, and I really want to get it again, so my plan is to apply for a personal SW card - I'm leaning towards the Plus since it's the cheapest and they all currently offer the same bonus (40k). My plan is to apply for that on 12/29/19, which would be two years and one day after I got the last Plus bonus.

Then I'm planning to apply for one of the SW business cards (depending on which has the better bonus). I'm planning to apply for that on 2/20/20, two years and one day after I got the last business card bonus.

Does that all look and sound ok? Anything obvious I'm overlooking?

Also, I really hate paying annual fees after the first year. Is there anything wrong with my cancelling my first CIP before 2/13/20, and my second CIP before 7/8/20? Might I irritate Chase if I cancel my first CIP just before applying for the SW business card, such that I should suck it up and pay the annual fee on that first CIP, and then cancel after (hopefully) getting approved for the SW business card?

Thank you SO much to everyone for all of your expertise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter