I lost the job I was going to get

plutoplanet

Earning My Ears
A friend of my dad is in charge of a grocery and he said once it was my birthday (once I was 16) he'd hire me. But today he told my dad I can't have it after all because he doesn't have the money to hire an extra person anymore. :guilty:
I still have the library but they only let me do three days a week at four hours each and it has to be within certain hours. I think I could work more than that but now I won't get to do this other job. :guilty:
I no the economy is bad and everything but it sucks to think you get to do something and then they change their mind. :guilty:
Now I guess i have to go change my profile! It's not fair :guilty:
He said if it picks up before November (my bday) then he will still hire me but if it stays this way then he won't. :guilty:

Let that be a lesson, don't plan on anyone giving you anything. Go and earn it for yourself, and when some one does give you something, you will appreciate it that much more.

You're right. Nobody owes me anything I cant be too disappointed about not getting it. I did go out and get my library shelving job all by myself though and nobody helped me get it. So I guess I should just be glad I got that. I wish I had this job too but I can look for another one on my own.

Nah I can't do anything for my dad unless I go to law school and at this time I don't think they'd let me in :laughing:

Nah I can't do anything for my dad unless I go to law school and at this time I don't think they'd let me in :laughing:

You're going to learn that, in this life, you're subject to get more rejections than acceptances.

Unfortunately, life ain't fair...and you have to make your own luck!

That being said, keep your head down and keep truckin'. Falling down is a part of life---getting up is living.

You're going to learn that, in this life, you're subject to get more rejections than acceptances.

Unfortunately, life ain't fair...and you have to make your own luck!

That being said, keep your head down and keep truckin'. Falling down is a part of life---getting up is living.

Agreed. Failure happens. The true measure of a man is how he picks himself up from failure.

Wasn't that in Meet the Robinsons? ;-)

You're going to have lots of rejections in life. Hang in there, Jeremy

A couple of my favorite quotes from Randy Pausch

* The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people!

* Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

I worked at a grocery store while I was going to school and it was a great job! It's pretty unusual for a store to not have staff turnover fairly regularly. Just make sure he knows you're still interested, and willing to help out in any way. November is a good time, even if you can get him to agree to let you help out around the Thanksgiving and Christmas rush it would at least get your foot in the door, there are usually a lot of people trying to get shifts covered then.

Yeah, like tutter said, things might pick up around November due to the holiday season. I just wouldn't sit back and count on that happening though. If you see other opportunities present themselves, you have to be ready to go those different directions. It really is a tough economy right now and jobs are hard to find, unfortunately. Hopefully you'll find something or this one will end up working out for you.

Try bus boy at restaurants. Most people don't realize it, but if you get in at the right place you make great money for a teenager. It is tough work and you will smell horrible when done, but I think doing that job at 16 made me a much harder worker and appreciate everything I have.

To get one of those toss on khaki's and a collared shirt and go around to every restaurant in town. Only take one that pays tips-- those that don't will only pay minimum wage and are not worth it.

To put in perspective-- I worked for Red Robin and within 6 months was a bar back (bus boy for the bar-- stock ice, glasses in addition to cleaning). I made minimum wage (I think $4.75/hr then) and would pocket $50 a night in cash during week and on Friday/Saturday could make $100- $200 for eight hours of work. I was averaging $1,500/month in pay for 25 hour a week job. I wasn't out with my friends, but I paid cash for my first year of college.

Has anyone heard from Jeremy in a while?

His profile says he was last active July 10th. Hopefully he is just busy being a dad. I couldn't imagine being 30 years younger and trying to do it. He will need all the support he can get.

His profile says he was last active July 10th. Hopefully he is just busy being a dad. I couldn't imagine being 30 years younger and trying to do it. He will need all the support he can get.

Thanks for checking! Should've thought of that. Hopefully he's getting the support he needs. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do for him (other than to provide emotional support) in the on-line world...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter