I know it's early...

WIDad

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

My first post but I have been lurking for years. Mostly on the restaurants boards 'cuz...food.

Anyway, I'm our family's Disney planner and we are planning on a trip for my daughter's Golden Birthday. That'll be in January 2021. The three of us have been to Disney World three times in the past (CS, POR, POFQ).

We told the rest of our family that this was our target and if anyone wanted to come along, they were welcome to (at their own expense, of course). Pretty much everyone said they would want to go. They'll have kids in pretty ideal age ranges mostly so I think it works out pretty nicely. In case you're interested, I'd sort of be planning this as 4/5 separate family vacations where we meet up for some meals but families can mix and match however they'd like...it wouldn't be 19 of us altogether all the time like a tour group.

So here's why I'm here: I'm looking for resorts to target as options. Here are the primary criteria
- The group will either be 9 Disney adults/5 Disney kids or 12/7 in 4 or 5 family groups. (One of the parents is a teacher so they may not be able to go for the dates we are looking at.
- Two of the families are 2 adult/3 kid families so I think that sort of goes over room capacity in some resorts...or doesn't it? I'm thinking about listing some of the kids with the smaller families for capacity reasons...
- We want to stay on property (we fly, so I like not having to worry about transportation and I also like the EMHs)
- We'll consider Value, Moderate, Deluxe (maybe).
- We'd also consider renting DVC points although that seems less...certain. I've never rented points before so I've done some reading on it and it seems like it would be a good idea for DW, DD, and me but maybe not for a group this size needing multiple rooms. I could be wrong about that.
- We might consider splitting to different resorts too. I admit, this is probably not going to happen but I know we'd like to try a monorail resort or isn't the new Star Wars resort going to be open by then? I'm just not sure I'll be able to sell everyone on a Deluxe.
- We'll be using Disney transportation almost exclusively so resorts that share buses with other resorts may be less preferable (not that we'd rule anything completely out based solely on that). At the same time, multiple modes of transport may be more preferable. We liked the boat from POR to...Disney Springs, I guess is what it's called now.

I guess that's it. Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks a bunch!

We are two of us, so I'm no help on how many can stay in a room.

Things to consider:

By the time you go, the Gondolas will be up and running, so bus service may or may not be reduced at those resorts utilizing them.

Star Wars Hotel most likely won't be open or even an option - it's to be a role playing type hotel, immersive and expensive!

I wouldn't worry too much if you find you will be at different resorts, especially if you are planning to meet at certain times for dinner and such!

You'll get great answers here, happy planning!

Welcome to the DIS :welcome:
My first thought is - Nobody knows what it will be like 3 years from now!!!!
That said, You still have lots and lots of research to do.
First off, you should start by identifying a reasonable budget for your resort. Although prices for 3 years in the future are unknown, you can look at today's prices to compare the various levels with each other. Once you have decided if you can afford Value, Moderate or Deluxe you can then look at amenities of each and themeing to further narrow it down to a particular resort.
Values can generally sleep 4, unless you are looking at a more expensive Family Suite. There are rooms at Moderates that sleep 5. Deluxe with the exception of AKL and WL can sleep 5. All are plus one in a crib under 3 YO.
I think the Star Wars hotel will be open by 2021 and it will be incredibly expensive, unlike anything there is today.
I never recommend choosing a resort based on Transportation. All resorts, all levels have good days and bad days, transportation wise/
If you are even considering renting DVC points you need to do more research on that option. It is a contractual obligation between you and the owner. You can seldom cancel for a refund, to get a selection and especially several rooms you will have to commit 11 months in advance and there is not daily Mousekeeping, Clean towels etc, among other things.

Hi everyone,

My first post but I have been lurking for years. Mostly on the restaurants boards 'cuz...food.

Anyway, I'm our family's Disney planner and we are planning on a trip for my daughter's Golden Birthday. That'll be in January 2021. The three of us have been to Disney World three times in the past (CS, POR, POFQ).

We told the rest of our family that this was our target and if anyone wanted to come along, they were welcome to (at their own expense, of course). Pretty much everyone said they would want to go. They'll have kids in pretty ideal age ranges mostly so I think it works out pretty nicely. In case you're interested, I'd sort of be planning this as 4/5 separate family vacations where we meet up for some meals but families can mix and match however they'd like...it wouldn't be 19 of us altogether all the time like a tour group.

So here's why I'm here: I'm looking for resorts to target as options. Here are the primary criteria
- The group will either be 9 Disney adults/5 Disney kids or 12/7 in 4 or 5 family groups. (One of the parents is a teacher so they may not be able to go for the dates we are looking at.
- Two of the families are 2 adult/3 kid families so I think that sort of goes over room capacity in some resorts...or doesn't it? I'm thinking about listing some of the kids with the smaller families for capacity reasons...
- We want to stay on property (we fly, so I like not having to worry about transportation and I also like the EMHs)
- We'll consider Value, Moderate, Deluxe (maybe).
- We'd also consider renting DVC points although that seems less...certain. I've never rented points before so I've done some reading on it and it seems like it would be a good idea for DW, DD, and me but maybe not for a group this size needing multiple rooms. I could be wrong about that.
- We might consider splitting to different resorts too. I admit, this is probably not going to happen but I know we'd like to try a monorail resort or isn't the new Star Wars resort going to be open by then? I'm just not sure I'll be able to sell everyone on a Deluxe.
- We'll be using Disney transportation almost exclusively so resorts that share buses with other resorts may be less preferable (not that we'd rule anything completely out based solely on that). At the same time, multiple modes of transport may be more preferable. We liked the boat from POR to...Disney Springs, I guess is what it's called now.

I guess that's it. Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks a bunch!
Maximum occupancy in regular Value Resort rooms is 4 people + 1 infant or toddler under the age of 3. Anyone 3 years of age or older counts toward occupancy limits. 2 full size or 2 queen size beds, depending on the resort. One bathroom per room. No kitchen facilities, just a small fridge.

Family suites at ASMu and AoA have a maximum occupancy of 6 + 1 child under the age of 3. King bed in the master bedroom. Sleeper sofa and 2 sleeper chairs in the living room. Kitchenette with toaster, coffee maker and microwave oven and 2 bathrooms.

Moderate resorts rooms that allow 5 people (plus that 1 child under the age of 3) are a bookable room category at POR and CBR. 5th sleeping space is a pulldown bed that is similar in size to a child-size bunk bed. No kitchen facilities (but does have a coffee maker and small fridge}. One bathroom.

The Cabins at FW sleep up to 6 guests plus a child under the age of 3 in two rooms. Two of those beds are child-size bunks and a 3rd bed is a sleeper sofa. There's also a queen size bed in the same room as the bunks. Only one bathroom. But...you get a full kitchen!

We are a family of 5, for one room Mods you are looking at Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach. I like them both, POR maybe slightly more..

One thing to remember, if you're putting some kids in someone else's room, they'd need to sleep there likely (if the room only sleeps four, it really would only sleep four comfortably, I know some folks do air mattresses, but if you exceed occupancy you're risking lots of things, safety and fire codes, and could potentially be asked to leave the resort).

I would rule out Star Wars hotel unless it's just for a day or two, and you're totally committed to it. It sounds like it will be very, very expensive, and a unique attraction all to its own.

I'd first of all figure out what YOUR budget will be, and where you would like to stay. Then present it to the others, and allow them to either try to stay at the same resort, or if theirs is a smaller budget, to stay somewhere less expensive. Like you said, you're not planning on touring all together (wise choice; I've done two trips with my parents along for part of the time, during which it was kinda miserable, and one was my family plus my sister's family of six plus them, we all stayed at AKL which was her choice not mine, and it was so hard to be together, thing we did one Boma dinner together, but buffet with lots of small kids including an infant, we hardly visited as we were constantly up getting plates for kids). Sorry long run on sentence!!!!!

Like others said, transportation has pros and cons at all resorts. I've stayed at the CR and GF a couple times each, and honestly monorail is cool and all, but not a draw for us. We prefer being near Epcot. But I've had long waits for a bus at the Boardwalk before. AKL last time was the worst for a bus anywhere, but it could have just been that trip.

If I were going to look for room for a family of five, I'd not rule out the Swan or Dolphin for a suite. It may be cost effective, as it's in a great location, but much less costly than the Boardwalk, Beach Club or Yacht Club (and nicer rooms IMHO). They even have 2 bedroom suites, so if two families want to share that, it could give a nice meeting area as well. You wouldn't get magical express, but could just use Uber, Lyft, towncar service, or taxis (there are always minivan taxis at the airport, cost same).

I wish you happy planning!

Maximum occupancy in regular Value Resort rooms is 4 people + 1 infant or toddler under the age of 3. Anyone 3 years of age or older counts toward occupancy limits. 2 full size or 2 queen size beds, depending on the resort. One bathroom per room. No kitchen facilities, just a small fridge.

Family suites at ASMu and AoA have a maximum occupancy of 6 + 1 child under the age of 3. King bed in the master bedroom. Sleeper sofa and 2 sleeper chairs in the living room. Kitchenette with toaster, coffee maker and microwave oven and 2 bathrooms.

Moderate resorts rooms that allow 5 people (plus that 1 child under the age of 3) are a bookable room category at POR and CBR. 5th sleeping space is a pulldown bed that is similar in size to a child-size bunk bed. No kitchen facilities (but does have a coffee maker and small fridge}. One bathroom.

The Cabins at FW sleep up to 6 guests plus a child under the age of 3 in two rooms. Two of those beds are child-size bunks and a 3rd bed is a sleeper sofa. There's also a queen size bed in the same room as the bunks. Only one bathroom. But...you get a full kitchen!

If I recall, the bedroom at the Family Suites have a queen bed, not king. But they would totally work for a family of five, and they'll all be renovated by then! I'd definitely look into those if that's the budget! Having a food court is always nice (one thing I miss at places like the Boardwalk is a decent option to grab something other than the bakery or the pizza window).

The one thing I would mention (and which you said you’re taking into consideration) is definitely trying to stay at the same resort.

My reasoning is for the kids to be able to run around on their own after hours and feel like “adults.” As parents you also wouldn’t have to worry about getting them to each other. If they’re at separate resorts this is challenging.

Second, renting DVC points for this is possible. A few things to consider:
  1. Book as close to 11 months out as possible (you could get away with later). The latest we’ve done is 7 months with limited availability.
  2. On some rental sites you can put multiple rooms in your request and they’ll take care of it. Dave’s vacation club for instance. (We rent through members, but that’s a different ballgame for this instance.)
  3. You’ll need to have the money for ALL ROOMS at the time of booking. So make sure to collect it from all beforehand and that they know in advance. A good way to sell this is telling them you’re getting double the hotel for half the price (for the price of a moderate).
Hope that helps

As other have said, settling on a budget first helps put the resorts in perspective. Then you can rule out some options while focusing upon the resorts that fit. Next decide upon the level of togetherness that your group desires.

Assuming that everyone's budget will not be identical, but that everyone would like to be relatively nearby with easy access to get together at the resort here are a few options to consider:

If you are looking at monorail resorts different families can be in the theme of their choice and all still be on the monorail with the CR, GF and Poly as possibilities. The GF and Poly are walking distance to one another and also have DVC options. Both are expensive deluxe options, however.

A more limited budget option in the MK area could be a cabin(s) in FW or a room(s) at WL. Close proximity also works with higher budget families possibly staying at the CR/BLT. (There is a boat that runs from the WL/FW to the CR, so you would be separate, but still near each other with direct connecting transportation.) This also allows for DVC for some people that are certain of their plans (BLT or WL DVC) but also has rooms for those to book that may need to cancel or have more flexibility.

For a somewhat lower price, but still deluxe, the Epcot resorts are all within walking distance of each other. The lower budget option would be the Swan/Dolphin while DVC could be at the BC or BWV. Higher budget families could consider YC/BC or BWI or a larger suite. The teacher may want to look at the Teacher discount at the Swan Dolphin as it has historically been an excellent rate for a deluxe in the Epcot area.

Another range of prices exists between AoA and Pop. These are both value resorts, but are very nice options that are relatively easy on the budget. Some people could book the more expensive suites, while smaller or lower budget families could stay in the LM rooms or in POP Century. You could travel on buses and walk back and forth to one another's rooms at the two resorts. Pop and AoA will likely have gondola transportation by the time that you are planning to travel, which could be a lot of fun.

All options have at least some room types that sleep 5 or more.

Of course, if everyone has a similar budget and tastes then you just need to identify what that is and the location or theme that works best for your group.

Sounds like a wonderful family time!!! Have fun planning!

Great suggestions so far! Thanks!

Because it's so budget dependent and everyone might have different budgets, I think I want to put together a spreadsheet (yeah, I'm a spreadsheet guy) with one or two options from each level. I like the idea of pairing PoP and AoA at the Value level since they are so close.

I think I am probably going to put the DVC point rental idea on the back burner and perhaps revisit that if it looks like we'll be staying at different resorts anyway.

I would like everyone to at least have a ballpark for their trip savings goal so getting their input on this as early as possible should be helpful.

If you are planning early January, be aware that the Disney Marathon usually happens the first or second weekend. It just depends on how long the first week is.

I would start by trying to establish a reasonable budget for the group. I know that as individual groups each family may have a different budget, however before you begin planning I would suggest determine what every family deems appropriate. The best way to start out an extended family trip is to either price one family out, or to force them to make alternate arrangements. Once you know what each family can manage to save, then go from there. SOme amy not mind, or even prefer to stay at different resorts, but it is best to knwo in advance what the expectation is.

Look at today's rack rate for the anticipated season and use that as your baseline price. I know that discounts come up but if you look at the rack rate you get an idea what the cost may be. It goes up every year. Look at tickets costs and add onto that. And food. WHat is a reasonable projected budget? Even if you do not dine together daily, this is a huge part of a disney budget.

I also like to discuss what the goal of an extended family trip is so that I can manage expectations. Is WDW the gathering spot for eveyone and you meet up periodically during the day, or is this a reunion type of trip where you all stick together. If so...run!!!!

PErsonally, I htink that WDW is an awesome place for an extended family trip, and we do it often, but I like to know in advance what everyone can afford, and how they like to vacation so that we do nto end up with resentment and hard feelings. There is nothing worse than one family shut out of afternoon group swimming becasue they are registered elsewhere.

I would just plan what you want to do for your own family, and then present the other options for those who want more/less space or have bigger/smaller budgets. I personally think the better, easier option would be for everyone to go on a Disney Cruise, because then you are all at the same “hotel” and can see each other for dinner without ever making a reservation

What is a Golden Birthday? I have never heard that phrase before.

If your birthday is the 15th, then when you turn 15 is your Golden Birthday. If your Birthday is the 22nd then when you turn 22 is your Golden Birthday, etc.

I think it’s like a Golden Anniversary?? Your 50th bday.... I’m celebrating my 50th January 2020 in wdw
Nope, dansdad and master were correct. If you were born on September 22, your Golden birthday is when you turn 22. If you were born October 1, your Golden birthday is when you turn 1.

I'm working on a big family vacation next year as well. We're fortunate enough to be DVC members, so we get a 2 BR villa every year as someone is always tagging along with us. We also like to spend a couple of days at Riverside or French Quarter before we move to our villa as we like to relax for a couple of days by exploring Disney Springs before the madness of the theme parks consumes us. For this trip, we will need a 2nd 2BR villa, so we are exploring renting points. I priced out 2 rooms at the same resort, and with anticipating a discount which historically comes out several months ahead of time depending on season and the of discount, comes out to be roughly about the same price as renting points for the villa.

Everyone gives great advice in setting a budget first to help determine what kind of accomodations fit into that scheme. My only advice would be to try and stay at a resort that is as close as to the theme park you plan on spending the most time in. This will allow you to beat a hasty exit from the park and not to have to worry about herding out like cattle to the buses. With a group as large as yours, being able to get back to your resort with as little hassle as possible will be vital to everyone's happiness. Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter