I heard “Fastpass, Now What is that?”

jefngeo01

Earning My Ears
At church one family that just returned from WDW was talking about how fantastic FOP is. Then they said the line was so long they were so glad they had a FastPass. (And here it is!!) Then the other family said.... Oh we are going in two weeks, now what is this FastPass thing!!!!!!!!

Haha. Well, someone is always learning about the Disney intricacies for the first time, I guess. Hopefully, the family in the know educated them.

I wonder if it was the first ever Disney trip for that family or their first in a long time.

A friend of a friend was telling how her mother always had a dream of going to WDW with her grandchildren, and they finally did during spring break. Expecting to hear rave reviews I asked how her mother liked it. Turns out she didn’t like it at all because they didn’t do much due to long lines. I asked which Fastpasses they had..same answer, “what are those?”. Next question was “how much do they cost?”. Standing in line at Kilimanjaro Safaris I overheard the couple behind us wondering why the people in the next line over were all going ahead. I told them about FastPass and how they could get their own. I wondered if they would even try or just keep on complaining.

We once encountered a family trying to get in the Spaceship Earth FP+ line who thought, because they had MB's, they automatically had FP+'s for every ride. They were none to happy to hear that's not how it works.

I'm amazed at how many people don't know a thing about FP and always look at all of us in our FP line like how come they are so lucky? Or how much did that cost? I view it this way, the less people who know keeps all those FPs open for me and my family. I did mention to one family because they seemed so frustrated about "wasting their time in all the long lines" how easy FP was to get. They seemed quite thankful and began playing on their phone as we exited the ride to our next adventure!

It seems like every trip we go on I talk to AT LEAST one person about what fp is and how to use it. It amazes me that they plan a trip that’s so costly and don’t do their research before hand. If you simply watch the Disney planning video it talks about MDE and FPs. I do get that question a lot about how much a fp costs. I try to stay super calm and explain that you get 3 with your ticket and can book 1 at a time after that. Even the people that understand the initial 3 don’t always realize you can get more after that.

I have no sympathy. All the information is readily available.
You have got to understand that just because we are frequent visitors and know all the details doesn't mean that first timers have any idea. Why would anyone that had never been even think that it would be necessary to find out in advance what is needed for Disney. It is just a theme park, no one that didn't know that all those requirements exist have absolutely no reason to think that they have to pass the SAT's of theme parks. All they think is that like all the other fun, themed and unthemed parks that they have gone too in the past only required that they show up. They buy a ticket and go in and have a good time. Disney is unique, unless they have been they really do not know and why should they? My first visit 35 years ago, all I did was buy tickets, drive 1500 miles and went into the parks. I knew some of the rides because I had heard them mentioned, but, I never knew about the vast number of them. Disney was simpler then, but, it still held a lot of secrets that it was hiding in plain sight. It took a while to figure the stuff out. There was still a lot of other things to do that I didn't know about on the first trip. I didn't know about the evening parade or the fireworks show. I didn't know about downtown Disney at the time. I didn't know about the miniature golf things, or even River Country. I didn't even know that they had sit-down restaurants until after I got there. It just never crossed my mind about the size and reality that is WDW. Most people wouldn't.

It’s like anything; when you live and breathe something, have a lot of experience with it and discuss it frequently with fellow experts, you naturally assume that it is easier than it actually is, especially for a newcomer. Really, with the 60 day FPs at 7 AM, the 180 day ADRs at 6 AM, the EMHs and EMMs, the MNSSHP and MVMCPs, the rope-drops, the optimal ride order, the MDE, the DDPs, and everything else, “WDW vacation planning” could be a legitimate, fairly challenging, college level course.

It’s like anything; when you live and breathe something, have a lot of experience with it and discuss it frequently with fellow experts, you naturally assume that it is easier than it actually is, especially for a newcomer. Really, with the 60 day FPs at 7 AM, the 180 day ADRs at 6 AM, the EMHs and EMMs, the MNSSHP and MVMCPs, the rope-drops, the optimal ride order, the MDE, the DDPs, and everything else, “WDW vacation planning” could be a legitimate, fairly challenging, college level course.
I’d teach that course

You know I actually got an email from Disney destinations telling me all about fastpasses (and how I could make them up to 30 days in advance). So not 100% accurate since I had an on-site stay but better than nothing.

one year in Disneyland California I came across an Australian family on their first day. They were very annoyed that we were being cleared out of the Fantasmic viewing sections. They couldnt understand that they had paid thousands of dollars to come from Australia and they should be allowed to see the show.

I calmed them down and explained how the viewing sections worked, about the dining packages and the Fastpass viewing section. Turns out they didnt know anything about Fastpass ( this was before Maxpass) and had barely done any rides due to huge lines and had been turned away from many restaurants as they didnt have any reservations. I told them when they went back to their hotel that night to get online with the free Wifi and do research about the parks, the online restaurant reservations and the Fastpasses. They were amazed at the amount of rides I had done compared to them, and how different and enjoyable my day was compared to their day!

You have got to understand that just because we are frequent visitors and know all the details doesn't mean that first timers have any idea. Why would anyone that had never been even think that it would be necessary to find out in advance what is needed for Disney. It is just a theme park, no one that didn't know that all those requirements exist have absolutely no reason to think that they have to pass the SAT's of theme parks. All they think is that like all the other fun, themed and unthemed parks that they have gone too in the past only required that they show up. They buy a ticket and go in and have a good time. Disney is unique, unless they have been they really do not know and why should they? My first visit 35 years ago, all I did was buy tickets, drive 1500 miles and went into the parks. I knew some of the rides because I had heard them mentioned, but, I never knew about the vast number of them. Disney was simpler then, but, it still held a lot of secrets that it was hiding in plain sight. It took a while to figure the stuff out. There was still a lot of other things to do that I didn't know about on the first trip. I didn't know about the evening parade or the fireworks show. I didn't know about downtown Disney at the time. I didn't know about the miniature golf things, or even River Country. I didn't even know that they had sit-down restaurants until after I got there. It just never crossed my mind about the size and reality that is WDW. Most people wouldn't.
I’m sorry but all this information is readily available on the Disney website, emails, travel brochures, ticket vendors, I’m not saying everybody has to go as far as joining a forum. When you buy your ticket, whoever you buy it from, you are sold it as “including fastpass +”. If they choose not to even question what that is, then that’s their mistake. There are so many opportunities for a person to learn the information they need, maybe I’m horrible, but I just don’t have any sympathy.

I agree that many people don't realize how massive/crowded/intense Disney is, but before I go anywhere, I do a little research. In doing at least a little bit of research for Disney World, fast passes would come up somewhere. Even if a person did no research and saw the fast pass lines when they got there, I don't know why they wouldn't ask about them.

I agree that many people don't realize how massive/crowded/intense Disney is, but before I go anywhere, I do a little research. In doing at least a little bit of research for Disney World, fast passes would come up somewhere. Even if a person did no research and saw the fast pass lines when they got there, I don't know why they wouldn't ask about them.
And if I don’t have time to it don’t feel like doing research.....I get a travel agent!

Remember a lot of people out there have absolutely no idea what goes into planning a Disney trip.

A lot of folks are old school. Buy a ticket, go to the park. What do you mean I have to plan my lunch 3 months in advance? Or what ride I want to go on 60 days in advance?

It took me forever to explain to my FIL that a FP was included in the price of every ticket. He kept telling me no you have to pay for it.

Not everyone is a Disney fanatic like the members on this board are.

I’m sorry but all this information is readily available on the Disney website, emails, travel brochures, ticket vendors, I’m not saying everybody has to go as far as joining a forum. When you buy your ticket, whoever you buy it from, you are sold it as “including fastpass +”. If they choose not to even question what that is, then that’s their mistake. There are so many opportunities for a person to learn the information they need, maybe I’m horrible, but I just don’t have any sympathy.
Yes, but both of you are members on this site, and probably others. WDW isn't exactly a secret destination, but, it is pushed, to a layman as an amusement park. All the advertising just talks about how much fun it is to go. They are not expecting lines or the need for FP's or 6 month out reservations to just eat a dinner. Even if Disney mentions the huge numbers of Restaurants available they fail to say.. Oh, but, hey know what you want to eat or experience 6 months ahead of time or you will go hungry. How would they know that. If they are staying offsite all they need to do is make a reservation at a nearby hotel, just like they might do if they were going to 6 Flags and go there. They might assume that they can buy tickets at the gate (which they can) and just out of a lack of experience not look for any other information. Because hey, to them it is just another fun park with rides. It is so presumptuous of us as experienced WDW or DL visitors to think that just because we know what is going to happen that others will or will even think there is any reason to do all this research. It's just a theme park, not a trip to Europe and all they should have to do is pull into the parking lot, buy a ticket and walk in and then just have a good time. "Until you know it, You don't know what you don't know!"

I met a neighbor where I live that decided to take the kids to WDW. I was chatting with her one day and I asked her if she had set up her Fastpasses yet. Her reply was... "We aren't going to get them. We are spending a fortune on this trip and we cannot afford to pay for any special passes". When I told her that the were free, but, you had to get them in advance, without hesitation she said. "I have never been there, I don't have any idea what rides I want to go on and which ones will be something the kids can ride on (pretty small at the time) so how would I know what ones to try and get. I am a believer that I would never tell anyone what rides to go on or what shows to see, because I am not them and I don't know what they would like to see. All I can spit out are the ones that I like. So I simply say, it is important to go to them all to see what your favorites are and if you don't have any time left see the rest on your next trip. Her reply was.."this is it, there will be no next time". Shortly before they went, they moved out of the neighborhood, so I never did find out how it went.

Last edited:
You know I actually got an email from Disney destinations telling me all about fastpasses (and how I could make them up to 30 days in advance). So not 100% accurate since I had an on-site stay but better than nothing.
If you aren't planning to buy a ticket until you get there, there wouldn't be any possible way for them to know you're going or know your e-mail address to send you all that good stuff. And if you don't know anything about WDW you wouldn't even know to ask. Even the Griswolds cross country trip to Wally World hadn't been researched and that is the way many, many people take trips, especially if there is nothing foreign about the destination.

Yes, but both of you are members on this site, and probably others. WDW isn't exactly a secret destination, but, it is pushed, to a layman as an amusement park. All the advertising just talks about how much fun it is to go. They are not expecting lines or the need for FP's or 6 month out reservations to just eat a dinner. How would they know that. If they are staying offsite all they need to do is make a reservation at a nearby hotel, just like they might do if they were going to 6 Flags and go there. They might assume that they can buy tickets at the gate (which they can) and just out of a lack of experience not look for any other information. Because hey, to them it is just another fun park with rides. It is so presumptuous of us as experienced WDW or DL visitors to think that just because we know what is going to happen that others will or will even think there is any reason to do all this research. It's just a theme park, not a trip to Europe and all they should have to do is pull into the parking lot, buy a ticket and walk in and then just have a good time. "Until you know it, You don't know what you don't know!"

I met a neighbor where I live that decided to take the kids to WDW. I was chatting with her one day and I asked her if she had set up her Fastpasses yet. Her reply was... "We aren't going to get them. We are spending a fortune on this trip and we cannot afford to pay for any special passes". When I told her that the were free, but, you had to get them in advance, without hesitation she said. "I have never been there, I don't have any idea what rides I want to go on and which ones will be something the kids can ride on (pretty small at the time) so how would I know what ones to try and get. I am a believer that I would never tell anyone what rides to go on or what shows to see, because I am not them and I don't know what they would like to see. All I can spit out are the ones that I like. So I simply say, it is important to go to them all to see what your favorites are and if you don't have any time left see the rest on your next trip. Her reply was.."this is it, there will be no next time". Shortly before they went, they moved out of the neighborhood, so I never did find out how it went.
That’s not really a good attitude to have before the trip even starts. I could see being frustrated but to already decide you won’t go back again before even going? Or was she saying that because it’s so expensive?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter