• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I have "soda" confusion!

KarenB

<font color=green>Goes to the mall and sniffs Yank
I don't know why I am so confused about the soda policy on the ship so here goes:

1. When is soda offered with meals?

2. Can you get soda at buffets?

3. Is soda available at the beverage station?

4. How does the $35 soda package work?

5. I read that milk is offered at the beverage station, is soda that much more expensive to provide?

6. Why doesn't the cruise offer something like refillable mugs or just allow it to be a choice at the beverage station?

Thanks for the info!
Karen

Originally posted by KarenB
I don't know why I am so confused about the soda policy on the ship so here goes:

1. When is soda offered with meals?

2. Can you get soda at buffets?

3. Is soda available at the beverage station?

4. How does the $35 soda package work?

5. I read that milk is offered at the beverage station, is soda that much more expensive to provide?

6. Why doesn't the cruise offer something like refillable mugs or just allow it to be a choice at the beverage station?

Thanks for the info!
Karen

1. Soda is offered at no-charge with sit-down meals in the main restaurants.

2. Soda is not available at Topsiders buffet but would be available at a buffet in Parrot Cay.

3. Soda is not available at the beverage station.

4. When the soda package is purchased you'll receive a mug, a sticker on your KTTW card, or both. This will allow for unlimited soda at any lounge or bar onboard the ship and on Castaway Cay. The package is to be purchased for one individual and used by one individual.

5. Soda is much more popular than milk and is another source of income for DCL. In general, fountain drinks cost very little to provide and have very high profit margins. (Past experience in the food industry has provided me with this experience. My previous employer sold small Coca-Cola fountain drinks for 0.79 retail. The cost, including supplies, was about 5-7 cents.)

6. See number 4 and 5.

Here is the Beverage Matrix from the Disney Cruise Line website. This shows where the various drinks can be found, their associated costs (if any), and what selection is available.

cruisechart3.gif

Karen:

I think we've been following each other here on the cruise boards, we seem to have similar questions. LOL

I have another soda question:

With a soda sticker, can my DSs get soda at the counter service restaurants near the pools?? (I forget their names...Plutos Dog House and something to do with pizza. lol)

three circles..thanks for the matrix.....huge help! :D

Originally posted by SeaSpray
I have another soda question:

With a soda sticker, can my DSs get soda at the counter service restaurants near the pools?? (I forget their names...Plutos Dog House and something to do with pizza. lol)

Yes. The mugs can be filled at any location that offers softdrinks. This would include the quick service locations and bars on decks 9 and 10, the Promenade Lounge on deck 3, the bars in the adult area, etc.

Thanks, three circles! But if my sons don't want to lug a mug around and we just get the stickers for their KTTW cards, they will be given cups or glasses of soda, right?? (sorry, just trying to make sure I how it works. lol)

Yes.

There is some confusion as to how they are currently operating the soda program. At one point, prior to the outbreak of the Norwalk Virus in the industry, DCL only gave out the mugs. There were no stickers.

After the virus, they wanted to eliminate as much cross-contamination as possible and so went to the sticker system. The guest would show the sticker at any bar and be provided with a cup of ice and soda. They could then drink directly from the cup or pour the soda into their mug if they so choose.

As of now, many people report that BOTH mugs and stickers are being issued. If you show the sticker you should be able to get a glass of soda. Some people are reporting that a mug alone will not be enough and you'll need to show the sticker as well.

To make matters even more confusing, it seems that there are differences (not counting cost differences) between the soda program on the Wonder and the program on the Magic.

(The above describes the program on the Magic as experienced by myself and as reported by other Dis Board members.)

Hate to contradict the beautiful chart but we ordered both milk and apple juice from room service and there was no charge - we did this more than once and there was never a charge (except the tip for delivery).
Barbara

It should be noted that the main reason milk appears to be available at the beverage station is for use in coffee. One spigot is milk, the other is half and half and there are no other types of creamers provided at the beverage station.

I can only drink iced tea, tea or coffee and a small amount of juice (3oz at a time maybe once or twice a day) Can I use the soda card to get iced tea at the places that serve sodas as well? I am bringing some sodas I can drink with me but Coke products are no acceptable for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter