I have a new knee!

Selket

Been there - done that
I had one knee replaced last week and hoping to have the 2nd one replaced this spring or summer. So far it is all going well! I had planned to take another trip to see my kid who is on the Disney college program and had tickets for next weekend but that's not happening! I did see him in December however. He has extended his program until May so perhaps we will get down to see him one more time before he is done.

The surgeon called me with an opening in his schedule so I took it. Everything has gone well so far. I've had knee issues since 2015 (!) and my HMO put off replacing them due to my age (they wanted me to be older). I had gotten to the point where walking anywhere (grocery shopping) I had almost completely stopped doing. I was able to get down to visit my son at WDW tho since I can get airport assistance and get an ECV so it really wasn't much walking needed and it felt amazing to get out and do stuff! It was getting harder to ride things though and I had given up on riding a few things.

I really am hoping with two new knees I can eventually shed the ECV. My ultimate goal is to go to Japan with my older son and go to Tokyo Disney next year!

Hey! How goes rehab? I hope you are making good progress! :-)
Somehow I missed this @mamabunny ! So far, so good. My knee bend is back to around where it was pre-surgery so that's good - hoping I can get a bit more. My walking was so poor pre-surgery that I just transitioned to the cane and it's still slow going. I'm planning to start back to work (office job) this week for a few hours a week and work up to being back full-time in April. THEN I need to get the other knee done this summer! haha!

Somehow I missed this @mamabunny ! So far, so good. My knee bend is back to around where it was pre-surgery so that's good - hoping I can get a bit more. My walking was so poor pre-surgery that I just transitioned to the cane and it's still slow going. I'm planning to start back to work (office job) this week for a few hours a week and work up to being back full-time in April. THEN I need to get the other knee done this summer! haha!

When my hubby got his done, he was able to get his knee to bend pretty easily, and his stitches healed beautifully. We had to literally replace ALL of his shoes, because he had been dragging his leg so much more than we realized! The PT at the hospital asked to see the shoes he was wearing at check-in when they came to his room to start his PT plan, and I didn't realize until then how differently those shoes were wearing down from one foot to the other.

We just replaced his "off work" shoes this weekend, and they were both worn evenly. I was so happy to see that!

I hope you have the best first week back at work that you can; I'm really glad to know that you are recovering well enough to get back even part time!

We had to literally replace ALL of his shoes, because he had been dragging his leg so much more than we realized!
I totally need to do this. I am getting the other knee done this summer I hope - so trying to decide whether to wait or get some shoes now. I'm not much of a shoe lover - I really dislike shopping for shoes lol. My scar is all sealed up at this point and I think will fade away nicely. I had fairly extreme "knock knee" in the one replaced and the left knee is almost as bad. It's wild to see my leg straight now!

I totally need to do this. I am getting the other knee done this summer I hope - so trying to decide whether to wait or get some shoes now. I'm not much of a shoe lover - I really dislike shopping for shoes lol. My scar is all sealed up at this point and I think will fade away nicely. I had fairly extreme "knock knee" in the one replaced and the left knee is almost as bad. It's wild to see my leg straight now!

If you have some favorite shoes, you can do what my hubby does, and just re-order the same thing online! 😂 He absolutely loathes shopping, so he will just reorder the same shoes and clothes over and over! And his Crocs (that he wears at home after work and on weekends) are just the standard black men's style, so luckily that will never go out of stock!

If you have some favorite shoes, you can do what my hubby does, and just re-order the same thing online! 😂 He absolutely loathes shopping, so he will just reorder the same shoes and clothes over and over! And his Crocs (that he wears at home after work and on weekends) are just the standard black men's style, so luckily that will never go out of stock!
My husband has done that!

LOL it’s not surprising - there are times when I think that online shopping was invented for folks like my hubby who will go to great lengths to avoid actually entering a store! 😂 He learned how to do Pick Up at our local Target, and he will never see the inside of that store again! 😂

Oh...believe me I would! I bought my current shoes at Walmart and they don't sell this style anymore!:( I think it was their knock off of the Sketchers slip-ins so I've ordered some sketchers to see how they are. The first ones I ordered were too small. I've got some nice Hokas but I feel so off-balance when I wear them. I'm just not used to having so much cushion under my foot and it makes feel so much taller - and I'm tall already. I'm going to save them for post-surgery on both knees and hopefully when I'm walking better the Hokas will be nice to have.

So does mine - the same sneakers (that squeak) year after year. I mentioned that he could try another brand and he said "but these fit!"

I'm headed back to WDW soon to do a trip in between knee replacement surgeries...on track to get the other one replaced this summer. I am just thinking about all the rides I never thought twice about riding because I could do the moving walkway and now it is terrifying to think about - haha! Also not sure how it would be to get in and out of a boat - like Frozen. My knee bend is pretty good but some of these attractions have low seats. #1 goal=no falling

Not posting in the regular board because I go enough I should be able to figure this out. If not...please come visit me on Frozen while I loop the ride in perpetuum,,,, :rotfl2:

Are any of the boats easier to get out of? Navi? Pirates? Frozen?

Also my son's Disney college program ends in May but he was offered a pt/ft position so he's going to stay a CM and wants to do the aspire program (free college tuition) and take advantage of the "theme park management" major at UCF. I'm hoping for many more WDW trips in the future and very happy for him!

I'm headed back to WDW soon to do a trip in between knee replacement surgeries...on track to get the other one replaced this summer. I am just thinking about all the rides I never thought twice about riding because I could do the moving walkway and now it is terrifying to think about - haha! Also not sure how it would be to get in and out of a boat - like Frozen. My knee bend is pretty good but some of these attractions have low seats. #1 goal=no falling

Not posting in the regular board because I go enough I should be able to figure this out. If not...please come visit me on Frozen while I loop the ride in perpetuum,,,, :rotfl2:

Are any of the boats easier to get out of? Navi? Pirates? Frozen?

Also my son's Disney college program ends in May but he was offered a pt/ft position so he's going to stay a CM and wants to do the aspire program (free college tuition) and take advantage of the "theme park management" major at UCF. I'm hoping for many more WDW trips in the future and very happy for him!

Listen, if I (somehow) got *into* that boat at Frozen, I would be right next to you - but hey, at least we wouldn't be alone! 😂

I have zero personal recommendations for boat rides, other than the ones that, you know, are either a walk-on or roll-on 😆 I feel like someone else here had this problem in the (relatively) recent past, and there was discussion, but I can't remember who it was... But I do understand - the hubs got decent bend in his knee, but there are still things that he just can't do yet. I remember after my back surgery being skeptical that it was going to take 3 to 5 years to fully heal... but here I am 3+ years later, and I'm still making small improvements, so I guess it *can* take longer than we want to get there.

And I am *so* happy for your son - free tuition is nothing to sneeze at, and having Disney CM on your college resume as a Theme Park Major is certainly not shabby at all! Of course, I will hold a happy thought that he never needs that resume, and just keeps right on working for Disney! 🥰

I would be right next to you - but hey, at least we wouldn't be alone
I'm boarding the boat with a sleeping bag and some provisions just in case - haha! I guess that's one way to become a "Disney Legend." !!

I would be happy for him to find his place working for Disney after he gets a degree - but either way I think that degree can lead to some fun opportunities. I'm also hoping he can get on full time eventually. Disney has a hiring freeze in many positions right now so it's tough to get in entry level at all. I think once Universal opens Epic Universe it will drain a lot of people over there and perhaps free up some opportunities. At least he has his foot in the door which is pretty darn good at the moment...many kids ending their college program weren't offered anything.

It's a Small World is pretty low and was rough for my mom before her knee replacement. Test Track was another killer, but that will close 6/17. Some rides like Na'vi and Frozen honestly seem to have more space in the front row for some reason. Not sure if that would help you getting in or out, but my mom always liked the additional space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter