I had to turn down a full time job today...

Cindy B

<font color=blue>Have taken some furniture polish
*WARNING--minor vent*

I adore my work environment, it has a flexible hours, great bosses, decent environment, all those factors made me put in for a full time job on the main campus (we are on a satellite campus across town)

I had a phone interview, and prescreening, and the woman was delightful. I would have been working in the counseling center with the undergraduate students. (That is an interest of mine as well).

I had to turn it down due to the outrageous daycare costs of my township. My daughter is going into 1/2 day K, and the cost to keep her one half of the day and to keep her and my son until 5 pm was $708/month, to go up to $750/800 if I kept them until 530/6 pm.

I plugged in the salary, did the daycare costs, took taxes out, and well, the hourly wage was less than what I am making now part time.

:(

So, now it means the house buying is put off for YET another year, (my salary would be down payment).

So, now I am feeling bummed. Yes, this is the only daycare option in my town, and believe it or not, with the "private" care was more expensive than that, almost 800-1000 a month.

WE aren't eligible for any grants either...

I'm sorry to hear that, Cindy, but not surprised. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when people can't afford to work. (((hugs)))

Sorry to hear this! Daycare rates in the Chicago area are astronomical, too. It's just incredible that something so essential costs so much. Something's wrong with this picture!

Cindy, we just spoke about this last weekend and you know why I am working part-time weekends, for the same exact reason! I have been doing that for the last 7 years and I will continue to do it for another year, then hopefully a real job will come along with times I can schedule around school time. I really don't know how single parents can do it , and we are not eligible for grants or just reduced daycare either, it stinks! {{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

I so hear you on this one. I have to pay $900/month for daycare during the school year then it jumps to $1160/month for the summer. No part-time work for me ....

Ok, just a suggestion here, but did you ask for more money than what they offered? The worst they can say is NO.

Do you calculations again, but add in enough to pay for the extra $$$ in day care, then add a little more. Think of it this way:

Let's say you make $10 an hour in your part time position.

And let's say when you do the math, in order for you to take the new job, you'd have to make $12.50 an hour, comfortably.

Ask for $14 a hour. They may say no, but offer $13, or some such. It gives you a little wiggle room for negotations.

If you think this job might provide you with more advancement oppotunity/chances, it could be worth it to try to negotiate with them. And be truthful with them - explain the reason for the exra $$$, that you would really like to work with them but just can't on that salary because of day care costs. Job/Position changes are the #1 way to increase your salary according to my HR.

Again, the worst they can say is NO, especially if they think you are qualified for the position.

Jennifer is giving you some great advice there, Cindy.

I can sympathize with you; I'm still reeling over the price of summer care here and that's just for one child. I'll be paying it until October to catch up.

I feel for you. That is one reason I left the work force. The amount of money I brought home and paid out wasn't worth it.
Maybe you can ask for more money it doesn't hurt to try.
Good luck I know this is so frustrating!

Ugh I SO hear you on this one. This is the EXACT reason why I can only work PT nights and weekends. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but we actually have more money this way than me working full time. This way dd doesn't have to be in daycare. Granted I only get to see my dh for an hour or so a day, but it works for us for the time being. She's 3 now and will start pre-k next year, with full time K the following year. So hopefully by then I'll be able to work a FT job. Hang in there!!!!

This is one of the 2 reasons DH and I work opposite shifts. We are able to do more for the girls financially and they are raised by us. I think the rising cost of daycare does make it very difficult to hold a full time job. I don't see how single parents handle it.

How do we do it, believe???

I'm still trying to figure that out! :confused:

Cindy, I'm so sorry. This is a nightmare that the daycare situation put working parents through. At least you have an option.

I'll never figure out where the costs go for these places? It certainly doesn't go to pay their ridiculously underpaid staff! It's a sin. When my son was a baby I paid more for his care than I did for my mortgage. And it was put up or shuttup....

Minor ... no MAJOR vent over... :(

Jen--

Non negiotable pay, unfortunately. They even said, "We can't offer you more, but you will get 3.5% NEXT JULY!"

I could negioate other places but not here! I did ask for more, but they did say "due to college guidelines, yada yada yada"

This cost of care would be very very close to our house payment now!

Sorry to hear about that Cindy. Indeed, I know many of my co-workers tell me about the high costs of day care. Can't believe the amounts they have to fork over!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter