I had a medical issue, and Disney sure did step up, they were outstanding

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
And this is why we've been vacationing there for 20 years, but until now, I truly didn't realize how stellar their customer service was. We just got home last night, from a great 2 week trip there, starting at POR and finishing off at our "home" BCV's. On the last two days unfortunately, my herniated disc which I had last Summer, gave me a HUGE problem, with excruciating pain down my leg. I was up the entire night, walking the floors trying to relieve it. The next morning, was check out day and I was panicked, worrying about packing up, the flight that night, and well, just everything.

I finally made the decision, after talking to my husband, that I have to go to the hospital, even if it means postponing our flight home that night and getting a hotel room and extending our stay. This is where Disney steps in, and in a big way. Our every need was met. It was 10:00 am. Magical Express bus is scheduled for 3:50 pm. We somehow finish packing up our stuff and call bell services, I had no sleep and worried I'd forget something. I then remember reading on the Dis, that Disney will provide transportation to the hospital, great! So, I call the front desk, and she explains she will connect me to 911. I'm like, oh no, I don't need an ambulance! just a van. But she explains its all thru Disney, and the ambulance will be no charge, I am seriously shocked. No charge? I won't get a bill for an ambulance ride? She said no, nothing. So it all started, the paramedics arrived and got me on the stretcher out in the hallway. And there is a Disney rep standing there, her name is Zulma, explaining to my husband that they are there to help in any way. And that they are taking care of the cab ride home from the hospital, with a stop at CVS to fill any prescriptions.

The paramedics offered me the choice of either Celebration Hospital ER, which will be busy no doubt, or the brand new one, Orlando Health Horizons West, about 20 minutes away. I took the new one. I was SO glad I made that decision, I was the only patient there and this facility was gorgeous. We arrived and they took very good care of me. After getting much needed prescriptions for the flight home, and a good steroid injection, and a few hours later, I was good to go. So our nurse knew that Disney allows us to get a free Mears cab ride back to the hotel, they made the call for us, and this is where the peace of mind comes in. I knew it would take at least 30 minutes to fill the scripts, and the driver waited for us. The total cost of the fare? $67.00!! Sure enough, Zulma had left a taxi voucher for us at Bell services, that took care of the whole thing. She also called my cell phone at the ER, while waiting for the cab, to make sure I'm alright. Incredible. We got back to the BC, with about 45 minutes to collect ourselves and our luggage. We actually made our Mag Express bus. Whew!

So, if anyone ever gets into a medical situation like this, rest easy. Disney is amazing at taking care of you through it all. I plan on writing them a nice note of appreciation, and mentioning Zulma's name in particular. Thank you to Disney, from the bottom of my heart, I SO much appreciate everything you did to see us through yesterday!!

Last edited:
And this is why we've been vacationing there for 20 years, but until now, I truly didn't realize how stellar their customer service was. We just got home last night, from a great 2 week trip there, starting at POR and finishing off at our "home" BCV's. On the last two days unfortunately, my herniated disc which I had last Summer, gave me a HUGE problem, with excruciating pain down my leg. I was up the entire night, walking the floors trying to relieve it. The next morning, was check out day and I was panicked, worrying about packing up, the flight that night, and well, just everything.

I finally made the decision, after talking to my husband, that I have to go to the hospital, even if it means postponing our flight home that night and getting a hotel room and extending our stay. This is where Disney steps in, and in a big way. Our every need was met. It was 10:00 am. Magical Express bus is scheduled for 3:50 pm. We somehow finish packing up our stuff and call bell services, I had no sleep and worried I'd forget something. I then remember reading on the Dis, that Disney will provide transportation to the hospital, great! So, I call the front desk, and she explains she will connect me to 911. I'm like, oh no, I don't need an ambulance! just a van. But she explains its all thru Disney, and the ambulance will be no charge, I am seriously shocked. No charge? I won't get a bill for an ambulance ride? She said no, nothing. So it all started, the paramedics arrived and got me on the stretcher out in the hallway. And there is a Disney rep standing there, her name is Zulma, explaining to my husband that they are there to help in any way. And that they are taking care of the cab ride home from the hospital, with a stop at CVS to fill any prescriptions.

The paramedics offered me the choice of either Celebration Hospital ER, which will be busy no doubt, or the brand new one, Orlando Health Horizons West, about 20 minutes away. I took the new one. I was SO glad I made that decision, I was the only patient there and this facility was gorgeous. We arrived and they took very good care of me. After getting much needed prescriptions for the flight home, and a good steroid injection, and a few hours later, I was good to go. So our nurse knew that Disney allows us to get a free Mears cab ride back to the hotel, they made the call for us, and this is where the peace of mind comes in. I knew it would take at least 30 minutes to fill the scripts, and the driver waited for us. The total cost of the fare? $67.00!! Sure enough, Zulma had left a taxi voucher for us at Bell services, that took care of the whole thing. Incredible. We got back to the BC, with about 45 minutes to collect ourselves and our luggage. We actually made our Mag Express bus. Whew!

So, if anyone ever gets into a medical situation like this, rest easy. Disney is amazing at taking care of you through it all. I plan on writing them a nice note of appreciation, and mentioning Zulma's name in particular. Thank you to Disney, from the bottom of my heart, I SO much appreciate everything you did to see us through yesterday!!
Yep Disney is amazing. You did good by walking a lot of people just like to lay around on them situations. It might of been a roller coaster that made your pain worse did you ride any jerky ones?

Yes, I have heard that Disney does not charge for ambulance rides, which is pretty incredible considering how expensive they are. I assume they are run through Reedy Creek Fire Department, which is essentially controlled by Disney (technically a public entity, but they only serve the land that WDW is on). They are wonderful from what I have heard, though thankfully I have never needed their services. I am glad they took good care of you and you were able to make your flight home.

Yep Disney is amazing. You did good by walking a lot of people just like to lay around on them situations. It might of been a roller coaster that made your pain worse did you ride any jerky ones?

No not this trip, I had an awful cold and cough. I think the coughing actually did it, it was bad.

Thanks Brian, yes you're right. Its an incredible service. I never thought I'd need it, but sure grateful it was there and at no cost.

Yes, I have heard that Disney does not charge for ambulance rides, which is pretty incredible considering how expensive they are. I assume they are run through Reedy Creek Fire Department, which is essentially controlled by Disney (technically a public entity, but they only serve the land that WDW is on). They are wonderful from what I have heard, though thankfully I have never needed their services. I am glad they took good care of you and you were able to make your flight home.

I'm surprised by this. My uncle (who has since sadly passed away) had to take one from Universal a year and a half ago while he and I were there and they definitely charged him.

I'm surprised by this. My uncle (who has since sadly passed away) had to take one from Universal a year and a half ago while he and I were there and they definitely charged him.

So he was coming from Universal? This is the Disney difference. We were on Disney property. That is the difference. Universal doesn't offer a free ambulance service. Very sorry about your Uncle's passing.

Wow! I’m so glad things worked out so well for you, hope you’re feeling good as new, and thank you for sharing what happen. This is definitely the Disney difference :)

That's because Universal doesn't own two entire municipalities like Disney does (Reedy Creek and Lake Buena Vista). Part of the deal with that is that they have to maintain services like a fire department and such. There is effectively a little government for that land, and while it is technically independent the only constituents they have are Disney and its workforce. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but that's how Disney can offer that where Universal really isn't in a position to.

Last edited:
A friend of mine broke her leg on Disney property! Long story. They took good care of her too. An ambulance came all the way into the parks to get her and she was in the hospital for 3 or 4 days. They comped the entire family a free week of park passes for any future date.

That's because Universal doesn't own two entire municipalities like Disney does (Reedy Creek and Lake Buena Vista). Part of the deal with that is that they have to maintain services like a fire department and such. There is effective a little government for that land, and while it is technically independent the only constituents they have are Disney and its workforce. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but that's how Disney can offer that where Universal really isn't in a position to.

This is interesting information, thank you. I didn't expect Universal to not charge him, it's more that I'm surprised that Disney doesn't. They're a company with great customer service, but they're still a business.

I'm sorry for the circumstance but I'm impressed with how they handled it! This is another example of "Guest Recovery" where Disney shines. Hope you're feeling better:)

That's wonderful how Disney took care of you in your time of need, Jill. I sure hope your back improves over the coming days. I had a herniated disc about 10 years ago, could harding move or stand. I can feel your pain, Jill. :hug:'s

Thank you everyone, for all your responses. And Dan Murphy, hello old friend! Yeah, I was doing so well too, and this happened. I am still recovering, I am not the patient type, I hope this passes quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter