I get it was my choice as well as dhs

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
has anyone gotten a vestectamy and lived to regret it we did five years ago but the older I get the more and more I regret that choice dh is still happy about it but I feel like I am missing something and I realize my child will have a disability or two due to dh and I having one there has to be less selfish way to fill the void then bringing a innocent child in the world
Thanks for letting me vent and now let the flaming begin

has anyone gotten a vestectamy and lived to regret it we did five years ago but the older I get the more and more I regret that choice dh is still happy about it but I feel like I am missing something and I realize my child will have a disability or two due to dh and I having one there has to be less selfish way to fill the void then bringing a innocent child in the world

No flames.

:hug:

It is if I can get dh to agree

You know, I don't want to lead this thread down a rabbit hole, but for years women have preached that their bodies belong to them and that men need to respect that. Well I really think you need to do the same here for your DH. It's his body and if he's happy with his decision, you really need to respect that. Adoption is always an option.

I'm also confused by your opening sentence when you said WE got a vasectomy 5 years ago. Your DH got it. There is no WE here.

I'm also confused by your opening sentence when you said WE got a vasectomy 5 years ago. Your DH got it. There is no WE here.

I'm thinking she wrote WE because it was a mutual decision that was discussed and decided upon together five years ago.

But yes, if her DH is still happy with the decision, then she has to respect it and find an alternative.

But it's not easy when one parter wants something and the other doesn't. Hang in there @tinkerbellandeeyor :hug:

Fur babies are always wonderful family additions.

Yea I get that but I just think it sounds off. I would find it equally odd if a husband said that "we got our tubes tied."

:laughing: I see your point.

But it's strange that it didn't seem off to me when it was vasectomy, but I get it if rolls were reversed. I just can't imagine hearing a guy say that, it actually made me lol.

Yeah my take could be sexist based on traditional gender roles :confused3.

I get what everyone is saying his body I can't make the choice for him. So I either need to adopt/ foster or find a way to fill the void with out kids

Last edited:
and I realize my child will have a disability or two due to dh and I having one there has to be less selfish way to fill the void then bringing a innocent child in the world

I'm really trying to follow this, but do you know the child would have a disability? Would your husband me open to other means of having a child if you're concerned about genetic issues?

I don't have children, and do NOT regret it. I hope you can find a way to make it work - potentially you could give a lovely home to a child who might not otherwise find one! Best of luck.

I believe that when it comes to having children, and one person wants to and the other doesn't, then the answer is no children. I understand your feelings, but it wouldn't be fair to the child to be brought into a family where one parent may be resentful. In these cases the 'no' outweighs the 'yes'.

(btw, I cleaned up the thread)

I feel like I am missing something and I realize my child will have a disability or two due to dh and I having one there has to be less selfish way to fill the void then bringing a innocent child in the world
If the odds are high that any child you have will be disabled, then I agree with you that there are better ways to fill the "void" than choosing to bring an innocent child into the world to struggle through life. You might enjoy having a baby initially, but then you'll have the struggle to raise a disabled child, which is much harder than raising a normal child, and you'll face endless worry about his or her future, what it will be like for the child once you and your husband are gone. Your child will face a lot of challenges and pain that even loving parents can't compensate for.

Fellow posters, please don't "flame" me, either. I'm the mother of a disabled child, and have spent large amounts of time working in both professional and volunteer capacities with severely disabled children. I'm not saying all kids aren't wonderful, important and joyous: I know that they are.

I'm not sure I completely understand the OP's circumstances, but is it correct to assume that, because you and DH have some disabilities, you both have/had concerns that your child will, as well? That's a valid concern--even perfectly "normal" people can have a child with disabilities. If these concerns led to the vasectomy, and your DH is happy with that, then I don't think reversal is a good idea. For one, your DH doesn't want kids. Secondly, the disability thing could be valid (depending on the specific nature of the disabilities, and I don't want to pry into your personal circumstances). Not only would a child with disabilities be more work, even the easiest child on the planet is a LOT of work, even for young, healthy, active parents who don't have any other challenges.

The other thing is, if the nature of your disability is such that parenting would be a challenge, I don't know if fostering or adopting is going to be a viable choice. First off, your DH may not want these things, either, since he didn't want biological children. Beyond that, it may be extremely difficult for the two of you to jump through the necessary hoops to qualify for adoption--and adoption can come with its own challenges. I'm sorry if this upsets you, but I'm trying to be honest and realistic.

I also don't thin kit's fair to try to talk another person into making a choice that they clearly don't want, such as your DH in this case. You agreed to the procedure years back. He's happy with the status quo.

There may be other ways to fulfill the desire you have. Volunteering with children or adopting a cat or dog might go a long way for you--added bonus, they require a lot less care. Good luck to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter