I found the answer-Do the DME buses have steps?

mmsportsmom

Mouseketeer
Well I found the answer on requesting the wheelchair lift for DME on a post by RaySharpton (Thank you RaySharpton for all of the great information!) but I don't know if I can delete my post?
I cannot remember if the DME buses have steps? It seems like they sit really high. What do they do for someone who cannot do steps? TIA!

Last edited:
Well, I found the answer on requesting the wheelchair lift for DME on a post by RaySharpton (Thank you RaySharpton for all of the great information!) but I don't know if I can delete my post?
I cannot remember if the DME buses have steps? It seems like they sit really high. What do they do for someone who cannot do steps? TIA!

No steps inside DME bus like some other vendors to get into your seat.

This photo is me, my feet, the floor, the chair in front of me while I was sitting in my wheelchair after using the DME bus lift.

Those red levers allow about three row of seats to be unlocked, then pushed forward on two floor tracks and then relocked to allow room for my wheelchair.

The tracks are on both sides and in the rear of the bus near the lift and bathroom.

This is looking at the other row to my left. They are in regular position for walking guests to sit in. Flat floor with no step to sit down.

The side rear lift.

As of my last visit WDW DME still did not allow any guest to stand.

The driver hasn't moved the seat yet. But after he did he let me get on the lift.

Onboard and about to have ny wheelchair four-point tiedown and seatbelts.

Of course, there are about five steps for other gusets to board.

Last edited:
View attachment 465666

No steps inside DME bus like some other vendors to get into your seat.

This photo is me, my feet, the floor, the chair in front of me while I was sitting in my wheelchair after using the DME bus lift.

Those red levers allow about three row of seats to be unlocked, then pushed forward on two floor tracks and then relocked to allow room for my wheelchair.

View attachment 465667

The tracks are on both sides and in the rear of the bus near the lift and bathroom.

This is looking at the other row to my left. They are in regular position for walking guests to sit in. Flat floor with no step to sit down.

View attachment 465668

The side rear lift.

View attachment 465669

As of my last visit WDW DME still did not allow any guest to stand.

View attachment 465670

The driver hasn't moved the seat yet. But after he did he let me get on the lift.

View attachment 465673

Onboard and about to have ny wheelchair four-point tiedown and seatbelts.

View attachment 465671View attachment 465672

Of course, there are about five steps for other gusets to board.
Thank you for so much detail! It helps so much to know what to expect!

Those steps in the last photo look awful steep. Is that an older DME bus? In the photos above it, the steps on those buses look more gentle. Bad knees, so I am very worried about my trip next week.

There is also information regarding the DME bus (with pictures) in the disABILITIES FAQs. That thread is located near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signatur.

The steps are pretty high and steep, but there is a good handrail. I think I might have taken some pictures of the bus from our trip in October. I’ll have a look.

Those steps in the last photo look awful steep. Is that an older DME bus? In the photos above it, the steps on those buses look more gentle. Bad knees, so I am very worried about my trip next week.

Hi, Disneylvr.

I'm sorry about your bad knees.

They are steep for me too even the handrails.

All of the WDW Mear buses whether the markings on the outside of the bus say, Disney Magical Express or Disney Cruise Line or MEARS have the same setup that I have used at the MCO Airport to the WDW Resorts.

The height is required for luggage storage because of travelling to/from airport.

On another note, at the WDW Resorts, I couldn't use the rarely seen non-Disney rental buses with the same stair height issues, but with no wheelchair lift.

Each time I was at WDW at a very busy time and I guess they needed more transport buses at the POP Resort and MK and EPCOT.

And each time there was a Disney cast member there to tell me another regular WDW bus was called to help me. I think it came in about five minutes.

I noticed that guests that could climb the bus stairs had to put their strollers, wheelchairs and mobility scooters and put them in the bus luggage storage.

You'll like the regular WDW resort/park buses because they kneel down the entrance to the bus.

Maybe you could buy a wheelchair to travel with so you could use the WDW DME bus lifts and transfer to a seat. Wheelchairs make great walkers, too.

Attachments

• 1579396260781.png
    1579396260781.png
    132 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter