I feel like Rip Van Winkle!

k5thbeatle

DIS Veteran
I know I've been away a little while but man was I shocked when I started looking at what room rates are now at WDW! I guess my question is this; have room rates increased because of the pandemic and limited availability (the not all hotels are open yet)?

Just as an example was looking at next Fall and found a water view room at Yacht Club (non-concierge, just regular water view) was $721/night not to mention a $25/night parking fee!:scared:o_Oo_O What did I miss? I know I've been away a little while but have prices really gone up that much?

I had a similar experience looking for next year and the Contemporary was $851 a night for a lake view (not even theme park view). I decided that I usually book with a "special offer" that included park hopper tickets, meal plans, etc. So, maybe I was experiencing sticker shock because I was looking at room only rates, but WOW!

My sister booked a trip for May 2021 and told me she feels a discount will be forthcoming, however, even at 40% off the room she booked is still outrageously expensive.

I'm guessing that one of the reasons for the high prices, aside from the 50th, is that many resorts are still closed and have no planned reopening date.

Precisely... 6 months of withdrawal has created Mighty Mickey Mouse to the rescue!
And have you priced your tickets yet?
My sister and I still have active APs--although don't ask how much time we had them and didn't use them!

Did you purchase with the DVC 25th Anniversay Perk?
I still have my receipt : March 31,2016
5 Day Park Hopper Base $369 plus tax = $392.99
5th Day Free w/WaterPark Fun& more
Today w/price surge forHolidays $573.43

Sorry just see you have APs And you have not activated yet? Wow
you will prob be happy if and when they start selling again and price increase announced! Disney announced Parkhopping in 2021 so guests can use the money Santa brings in their stocking to buy their passes.

Did you purchase with the DVC 25th Anniversay Perk?
I still have my receipt : March 31,2016
5 Day Park Hopper Base $369 plus tax = $392.99
5th Day Free w/WaterPark Fun& more
Today w/price surge forHolidays $573.43

Sorry just see you have APs And you have not activated yet? Wow
you will prob be happy if and when they start selling again and price increase announced! Disney announced Parkhopping in 2021 so guests can use the money Santa brings in their stocking to buy their passes.
Oh no. Sadly, the APs were activated--they are both renewals. And my renewal date was like 2 days before the March shutdown, so I haven't used it at all.

You're not alone. We cancelled 2 trips in 2020, and just cancelled a trip scheduled for April 2021. We had BWI Deluxe club and as of yet, the BWI isn't open. I did book YC water view, obviously non CL, as it's not offered yet...first week of December 2021...$721 per night. That room category is currently sold out for the first week of December 2021. Just gotta wait and see what happens next year. We are AP holders and we're currently extended until July 2021. We won't be going by then so we're eating two AP passes. Doubtful we'll renew unless the health around the world looks considerably better.

You're not alone. We cancelled 2 trips in 2020, and just cancelled a trip scheduled for April 2021. We had BWI Deluxe club and as of yet, the BWI isn't open. I did book YC water view, obviously non CL, as it's not offered yet...first week of December 2021...$721 per night. That room category is currently sold out for the first week of December 2021. Just gotta wait and see what happens next year. We are AP holders and we're currently extended until July 2021. We won't be going by then so we're eating two AP passes. Doubtful we'll renew unless the health around the world looks considerably better.
I hear ya! Saw the same rate on that room in October. $721 + $25 parking/night for a hotel room that would be 3 stars at best if not for the location. It's getting crazy what it costs.

This is us as well. Canceled two 2020 trips. We have a trip scheduled for May, but will it happen? Doubtful at this moment. My AP expires in July and if we don't go in May then I will have eaten the entire cost. My only consolation is that I used the price of the AP renewal to get 40,000 miles on a new JetBlue credit card, so I have that at least. I keep telling myself that (1) I prepaid for airfare for somewhere between 3 and 5 future WDW trips and (2) the animals at DAK and AKL and AKV need care and perhaps my AP renewal fee somehow helps with that.

I've gotta console myself somehow, because dropping over a thousand dollars on something is a big deal to me. And I'm sure to you as well.

I know I've been away a little while... have prices really gone up that much?
Yes, these price levels are nothing new and are not pandemic related (although it's notable that prices didn't go down at all due to the pandemic and all of the cuts in services). That being said, most knowledgeable people book the rooms at a discount rather than paying rack rate. How long is the little while that you were away? Must have been several years at least if you're shocked by deluxe resort prices for WDW's 50th anniversary.

Last edited:
There were some okay prices with the Passholder discount released today, although very low availability. Nevertheless, we were able to get a room at a not-too-terrible rate for May. I hope we can go then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter