I emailed Disney....DO YOU AGREE WITH MY COMMENT

Well I just sent an email too. I am a little slow but realized that our 2 ECV rentals from Disney will run us $780 for the week. Off site will be about $480 which is a huge difference. I guess they prefer us really clogging up the bus system with loading 2 ECV's on buses and now our gg cant ride together because I dont think the buses can hold 2 ECV's. This is really just making me a little nutso. Taking the grandparents is hard enough without having to deal with all this too.

Wow! $780 for the week??? Holy smokes that's unbelievable.

It's amazing to me that Disney has created this HUGE entertainment complex in a place that gets pretty stinking HOT and now they don't seem to understand that some people and children are going to need a little help getting around. :rolleyes:

In 2004 my mom got an ECV each day. For the 6 days it was like $200. It was definitely worth it because my mom has bad knees and basically just could not do the amount of walking required at Disney. No matter how slow the pace or how many breaks we took. She was able to go back and forth to the busses though. So now if my mom goes back, we will have to go with renting an ECV offsite, even though that isnt' really necessary, she will have the ECV the whole trip, including on the busses. I really hope Disney is prepared for this.

Well I just sent an email too. I am a little slow but realized that our 2 ECV rentals from Disney will run us $780 for the week. Off site will be about $480 which is a huge difference. I guess they prefer us really clogging up the bus system with loading 2 ECV's on buses and now our gg cant ride together because I dont think the buses can hold 2 ECV's. This is really just making me a little nutso. Taking the grandparents is hard enough without having to deal with all this too.

I seem to recall that there are at least 2 ECV spots in the busses. However, if one spot is already full, then you may need to travel separately.

i will send an apology letter in the morning. still stating my anger but in a more civilized way.....................NOT....i apologized. ahead of time at the beginning and they deserve more in my opinion...they keep taking advantage.....when will it stop!

Thing is you asked for opinions about what we thought. Personally I think the huge increase in stroller rentals is outrageous. Luckily we no longer need to rent strollers. As far as the email you sent is concerned, I had a hard time taking it seriously. I suspect that who ever was on the receiving end didn't take it seriously either. My theory is a well worded, well thought out letter will get more response than one that clearly is written off the cuff. Honestly you came off sounding a bit unhinged. I am all for people writing Disney about this- anyone upset by this increase should in fact- but at least take the time to write a quality letter.

This whole thing is not about strollers. It's about hubris. To impose such a substantial price increase on a relatively low-cost item that directly affects Disney's smallest guests is nothing less than an insult. It is Disney holding up its four-fingered, white-gloved hand and extending the equivalent of a middle finger at its guests because it believes that those guests will just keep coming back for more. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

That is why people are so upset. We've been insulted, even if our kids are well past stroller age.

This is on the money, literally. While I know that adults love Disney too, which clientel is Disney mainly geared for - KIDS!
We have a 5 yr old son who will walk. Before the increase, I considered renting a stroller for Epcot beause of all of the walking, plus the Disney strollers are more heavy duty (no way could he fit into an umbrella stroller)and easy to get in and out of. I thought of a stroller as being a time saver. He could sit and rest in the stroller while we kept going, but now we're going to have to make rest stops. Just beause he is 5 doesn't mean he won't get as tired as a 3 year-old in the parks all day. I REFUSE to pay that ridulous fee now.

I know that I will be flamed for saying this, but the stroller thing in WDW has gotten out of hand. When I was a kid and first went to WDW, I was 4 and I had to WALK the entire day. Yes, I had to walk and, NO, it wasn't up hill both ways.

IMO (notice that I left out the "H" for humble), parents need to get a grip and have their kids walk around. I honestly think that 1/2 of the strollers in WDW are for crazy parents who feel like they need to bring the kitchen sink to the parks in their backpacks but decide that the backpack is too heavy. So perhaps WDW is trying to cut back on that?

I brought some newbies in 2006 with a 4 year old boy. They rented strollers each day and the boy didn't even want to ride in it. He wanted to push it! So I can attest to the fact that parents tend to get the strollers just in case the kids want to nap. However, maybe if the child is too tired to walk and starts flailing around, you should take that as a hint that you should go back to your resort and have a nap.

*dons flame-retardant suit*

ITA

I cerrtainly don't agree with the huge price increase for stroller rentals but I really don't get the animosity against strollers.

When you have young pre-school kids, they are a neccessity. It would be great if it were only a twenty minute walk back to your hotel or car to get that extra change of clothes (for those accidents, swim suits for water areas), snacks, juice, extra diapers, wipes, toys to pass the time during dinners... but it's not easy to leave the park, get what you need and get back in.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the big, plastic, tank-like park strollers. I like our little Maclaren. Pushes great, don't have to be hunched over to hold on to it, folds in 3 seconds, holds enough for a day at the park and can be folded up and slung over your shoulder for those tight shops or escalators. Might be pricey, but well worth it for our Florida trips.

I loved the podcast today.
My DH and I like many others are outraged by these prices. Not only did they gouge us for coming in the summer by increasing all meal costs and hotel costs but the WIFI isn't free like it is in every other hotel and now the strollers. I checked Universal , they only get seven dollars for strollers, Universal gets more and more tempting every year. Has ANYONE heard back from Disney on this issue. We haven't and it is getting frustrating.
Lesley

Personally, I think emotionally-heated e-mails like that of the OP usually end up in the "Recycle Bin".

That said, the theme parks side of the WDC is what I have always considered to be a well-oiled machine. This stroller business is no exception.

I am guessing (as those strollers seem to be a special model specifically-made for Disney) that maintenance costs (replacement of rubber wheels, etc.) must be on the rise -- and though I will probably get flamed left and right for saying this...

...the more 10-12 year olds we have riding-around in these strollers, the more the strollers are going to require maintenance on a more frequent basis.

Plus, the WDC is not a foolish lot -- they already crunched the numbers and know they will make the money. If anything, they are counting on it coming from those who are traveling from abroad to take advantage of our weakened U.S. dollar.

FYI: Your ranting complaint to Walt Disney World will fall on deaf ears. The person who reads that letter will automatically trash it because how you come across. This letter will not be taken seriously.

i will send an apology letter in the morning. still stating my anger but in a more civilized way.....................NOT....i apologized. ahead of time at the beginning and they deserve more in my opinion...they keep taking advantage.....when will it stop!

:confused3 That's like me saying "I'm sorry that I'm going to ram you with my Disney rented big plastic double-stroller" and then do it anyway. That's not an apology. I can see the CMs laughing in the break room now LOL-at your expense :laughing:

Below is the email that I sent DISNEY read away and let me know if you agree

HOW MANY SHARE MY STATEMENT THAT I MADE TO DISNEY.....below is the email that I sent to GUESTSERVICES.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, I will like to apologize to the person that will read this that had nothing to do with this outrageous increase.....

NOW.....WHAT THE HE** ARE YOU THINKING. $10 to $15. $8 to $13. $16 to $27 and $18 to $31. This is insane. Nothing can justify the increase. I mean it will cost the same to rent a car as it would to rent a Double stroller from WDW. This is absolutely nuts. THis really has to go back to the board who decided this and rethink it logically. You want to increase it $4 or $5 dollars on a double and maybe $2 on a single that would be a little easier to swallow.....ALL this I hear about Disney doing well during the bad state that the economy is in and that your number in attendance have actually risen compared to that of 06 and Disney turns around and DECREASES the value of the DISNEY DINING PLAN. RAISES ROOM RATES ON WEEKENDS to get another $10 to $15 per WEEKEND NIGHT on Value and Moderate Resorts. Raise ticket prices in August of 07 and now turn around and nail the families who rent strollers with a 60% to 70% increase on stroller rentals.

Can't you people see this is going to eliminate the family who is already on a budget from renting strollers.

This is what will happen.....more families will be bringing strollers into the parks. Then when the mad rush comes at the end of the night to leave the parks like Magic Kingdom........they will be less space on the Monorail, Boat, and Buses because more seats and space will be taken up by Strollers...........You guys are crazy for increases such a high amount. I know that the rate has stayed the same for 3 or 4 years but thats your fault not ours.......and TO HE** WITH YOUR $40 Umbrella Stroller......Don't think that you guys are going to make a killing on that either........you guys are totally going against what is supposed to be a World that Walt Disney vcreated for families to enjoy.......The nightmare scenerio that you guys are going and probably have already created is STUPID. No one really thought this one out totally. It seems as if you will continue to nickel and Dime us as much as you can until we stop going.......thats not the way to go about things..........that is not good business.....you promote on TV how a family of 4 can go to DISNEY for $1600.00 but then once you add on the STROLLER RENTAL it becomes more like $1750........Its Crazy and you guys should be ashamed of yourself............I am very disappointed in this decision and someone has to do something about it. IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Different Internet boards have everyone up in arms and you as a business need to listen to the people who help drive you business........You may think the increase gives you a better revenue stream but with the decline in stroller rental you will actually see a decrease.....MARK MY WORDS you will not win out on THIS ONE!>>>>>>>>>>GOOD BYE

You rock :worship:

I'm sorry you don't agree with my opinion. However, you did ask for it per your title. Being a PR major and working for a company that is prided for having excellent customer service, I like to think I would know how to handle this sort of letter. If I were to get a letter that was written in the heat of moment and contained grammatical errors (sorry, I'm a stickler for that sort of thing...blame my mother), I would delete it straight away.

I'm not saying that I agree with this ridiculous price increase for strollers and ECVs. It's disgusting how much Disney is charging now. As Pete said, the increase for strollers are as much as 72% for doubles. If the same sort of increase was applied to a 1-day MYW ticket, the cost would go from $75.62 to $96.79.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you were to write a second letter, still letting them know your thoughts but in clear style that doesn't insult the reader right off the bat, you will be leagues ahead of where you are now. Whenever I'm helping a customer who is polite, I go out of my way to make sure that whatever problem they have gets solved. I'm sure Disney is the same way. I'm not saying you should write a letter apologizing for you previous letter, just start over again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter