I don't want to be rude

Well, I’m obviously in the minority but I have absolutely no problem with one parent taking the kids and rejoining the line, especially with the ages of your younger children. We saw parents doing this all the time across all our trips and, as a childless couple at the time, DH and I greatly preferred it to grumpy or fussy kids waiting next to us.

It’d be different if it were teens or adults. Maybe buy your older two some special snacks to eat while waiting in line while mom takes the younger two? I’m sure there’s people in line that may grumble to themselves but I’d hope most would understand.

Well, folks, thank you all for the input. I will not be holding a spot in line. I'm pretty sure it would tick me off if someone did it in front of my. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else....and boy did you guys deliver! :)

Seriously, though, thanks for keeping me from being the dude that makes everyone mad.
Those are really good points and I feel like a jerk for even asking this question at this point. Thanks for bringing me back to Earth.

OP...I want to pay you a compliment...you asked a question and had a genuinely open mind to all the feedback. Many people ask a question just to look for affirmation. You seem like a cool guy...not a jerk at all!

So I actually disagree with the majority. For a ride, I would not hold places in line because the newcomers joining in are taking up seats on the ride that others spent the time waiting for. But for a character meet it doesnt take any more time to take a picture with 6 people than it does to take a picture with 1 person. Just dont take extra poses with different combinations of family members in them. But it would not bother me if family members joined someone waiting in line go do this.

Honestly, I would never wait in a character line but I don’t think it would bother me at all. If the whole family goes at once what difference does it make?

Honestly, I would never wait in a character line but I don’t think it would bother me at all. If the whole family goes at once what difference does it make?

Because they do not all go at once. Many times it is one after another. The autograph books come out and it takes time. The characters are on a hard deadline schedule, and when it is time to break they do. If you get your own family in line and are prepared for all of you to wait your turn, having several families in front of you expand from 1 person to 4 or 5 can make a huge difference in your own timing.

. But for a character meet it doesnt take any more time to take a picture with 6 people than it does to take a picture with 1 person. Just dont take extra poses with different combinations of family members in them.

Yes, one or two shots.
The was not with a character, but during those PPO pictures on main street. And this was on the photo pass guy. Large family, grandparents, parents, kids. Everybody, then just family groups, then grandparent and kids, then all the boys, all the girls, silly pose, etc.....it was great for that family, but everyone in line was groaning because more and more people are entering the park and we all had ADRs to get to.

Because they do not all go at once. Many times it is one after another. The autograph books come out and it takes time. The characters are on a hard deadline schedule, and when it is time to break they do. If you get your own family in line and are prepared for all of you to wait your turn, having several families in front of you expand from 1 person to 4 or 5 can make a huge difference in your own timing.
That makes sense- and proves the fact that I never wait to see a character.

So I actually disagree with the majority. For a ride, I would not hold places in line because the newcomers joining in are taking up seats on the ride that others spent the time waiting for. But for a character meet it doesnt take any more time to take a picture with 6 people than it does to take a picture with 1 person. Just dont take extra poses with different combinations of family members in them. But it would not bother me if family members joined someone waiting in line go do this.
How are you going to suddenly stop them if this group of 6+ or so decides to break out into individual pics .... or just with one or two BFF for assorted pics to post on FB? There goes your "doesn't take any more time" theory. Allowing them in is indeed rude and you have no idea what's going to now take place just ahead of you.

How are you going to suddenly stop them if this group of 6+ or so decides to break out into individual pics .... or just with one or two BFF for assorted pics to post on FB? There goes your "doesn't take any more time" theory. Allowing them in is indeed rude and you have no idea what's going to now take place just ahead of you.
I wouldn't be stopping them. I'm saying to the OP that I think it's ok for his/her family to do this as long as they only take 1-2 group pictures.

Right & for that matter how are you gonna stop anyone from doing any of it lol?! OP asked if it was rude & that was your response.
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about stopping anyone. I'm saying I think the OP should go ahead with his plan as long as he only takes a few pictures. I don't think it's rude if he follows my approach.

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about stopping anyone. I'm saying I think the OP should go ahead with his plan as long as he only takes a few pictures. I don't think it's rude if he follows my approach.
No I was agreeing with you & saying how would any of us stop anyone really. The OPs question was is it rude & you were just saying it’s not rude if he does what you suggest. I made similar suggestions earlier in the thread.

I guess I don't see a problem if the family only takes a couple of photos. But I would have a cow if I waited and suddenly 6 other people show up in front of me and take a dozen different photos or a photo with each child individually. Two, maybe three photos are OK because that's how much a single person might take. Any more than that you are taking away time from the people behind you.

I guess I don't see a problem if the family only takes a couple of photos. But I would have a cow if I waited and suddenly 6 other people show up in front of me and take a dozen different photos or a photo with each child individually. Two, maybe three photos are OK because that's how much a single person might take. Any more than that you are taking away time from the people behind you.

And imagine if most families did this. I would think it would be hard to estimate how long it will take to get through the line. Normal park meet and greets are not really an issue. But something like MNSSHP, where it is for only a few hours, I would hate to get in line and thinking that it is much shorter and then have dozens of people pop in line in the last minute and taking numerous photos. Especially if your family waited in line the whole time and not just sent 1 person to wait.

I posted a similar question a while bag, as I had read on these boards that the practice of "tag-teaming", as it was called and as I called it, seemed acceptable during MNSSHP. Boy, did I get the responses! Almost all who replied were VERY against it, and had valid reasons. I think the ONE time one of us had to get out of line on our trip a week ago was to take the 2.5 year old to the bathroom, and we asked the two or so sets of families behind us if they would mind if we let them back after the potty break. They were very nice and said of course we could. I think most people would be very understanding for emergencies, less understanding just to take your kids off for more rides instead of waiting in line like everybody else.

I posted a similar question a while bag, as I had read on these boards that the practice of "tag-teaming", as it was called and as I called it, seemed acceptable during MNSSHP. Boy, did I get the responses! Almost all who replied were VERY against it, and had valid reasons. I think the ONE time one of us had to get out of line on our trip a week ago was to take the 2.5 year old to the bathroom, and we asked the two or so sets of families behind us if they would mind if we let them back after the potty break. They were very nice and said of course we could. I think most people would be very understanding for emergencies, less understanding just to take your kids off for more rides instead of waiting in line like everybody else.
I'm surprised some of the responders to this message are talking about not being able to take a younger kid to the bathroom after they got in line. It's not that at all. It's the family who gets in several lines at one time (grandma, grandpa, dad, aunt, uncle) while mom takes the kids from line to line without having to wait their turn in line. Nobody wants a little one to have a bathroom accident just because the parent is worried that they won't be able to get back in line when they return from the bathroom trip. We've all had that problem at one time or another. It's the selfish parents who want to take their kids on another ride, to get something to eat or just because their child doesn't like to stand in line like the rest of the human beings.

I replied on the "Tag Teaming" thread .... 👇

I'll give two examples that include seasoned CMs working the line:

AK was in a "free standing" line for character. Mom had her kids tag teaming all the other characters around. When she was next and they hadn't showed up she told me to go ahead. CM asked her why and she said she was waiting on her kids to return. He told her to leave the line and go to the back ... and join in when your kids arrive. She got ugly. He told her multiple times you are not to enter the line until your entire party is together and you stay in line together. She got beyond ugly leaning in with awful words and stormed off. I had a feeling it wasn't going to end there so after we were done I went same direction. She was talking to a manager that had been called over as she was demanding he be fired. I then talked to the manager to relay the conversation and manager said "CM was correct, the entire party must be together in the line, she couldn't hold a spot".............

MVMCP DS1 really wanted to meet Sandy Claus. It was the end of the night and he was done. He is obviously disabled and we know that DAS doesn't work. I asked the seasoned CM if it was at all possible for my other two to stand in the line (which was "short" aka 45 minutes) for him and have him join on the last turn. He said he is not supposed to let anyone join the line later but given his disability ... if we sat right there where he could see us and not go off to do other things, he would allow him to join them. So we sat right there and waited.

Two CMs I would trust and a manager all said the same thing. Disney policy is no.

Also I noticed this last week more signs up that said all parties must be together when they enter a line. I don't remember seeing them before but I assume it's to address a problem. Imagine if you have been standing there a long time and every other group in front of you is suddenly double and triple the size. This is especially a problem at the specialty meets at the parties where time is limited already to enjoy. Pick what is important and get in line for it.

This would not bother me at all. It is not like you are getting single pictures with each member of your party. You are doing group shots and I don't see any issue with it. No one is butting in line. You are there and your party will join you. Not an issue for me.

I have only four kids and taking a picture of our whole family is definitely a lot longer than just taking a picture of my husband alone. Perhaps adding one kid wouldn't change the time but a larger family definitely makes pictures more difficult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter