I didn't bring my Magic band! Can't believe I just said that.

tobiana

Earning My Ears
The cast: DH, DF and I (in our very early 40’s), DS3 and DD6, first trip for DH and the kids. DH was a somewhat reluctant party, not knowing what the parks are about, given a choice he would have spent the money elsewhere. Having been there twice before and always sad that I never could go as a child, I planned the trip anyway and off we went.

Chose mid-November for lower crowds and for the unlikelihood of having a snow storm disrupt our travel plans (we live in Maryland). Booked a Finding Nemo suite at AOA so we could all stay together. Put DF in the bedroom and we each slept with one of the kids in the pull out beds, which were very comfy. Ordered double stroller from Orlando Magic Strollers (sparkling clean) and groceries from Garden Grocer (missing two loaves of bread and a box of cereal, delivered the next day).

We had a fantastic time. Great weather (should’ve brought dresses for those 80 something days), lowish crowds, not one ride that we wanted to do was down when we wanted to do it, and the hotel was perfect for our needs.
We did not witness a single act of line jumping or stroller aggression the entire time. We were offered seats on the bus every time we couldn’t get one so I could sit with the kids (twice by two young boys about ten). Grown ups shuffled so kids could watch the parade and outdoor shows. Stroller pushing parents stopped to let us by if we were hurrying somewhere, just like did when they seemed to be in a bigger hurry than us. Maybe it was the pleasant weather or the low crowds but people were nice.

Day 1 landed at 12:30 pm and were at HS by 3:00. It was not a easywd recommended park and it felt crowded but this didn’t stop us from doing all we wanted. First, stood around waiting for Characterpalooza which could have happened between 3:10 and 3:35 and nothing by 3:30, so we had to leave to make our FP for Frozen Sing Along. This was a riot. The humor is for the parents, the songs for the kids. Great way to start our visit.

Then over to try to catch Disney JR live with FP but ran into Sofia the First and Jake so stood in line to meet them, waited 2 minutes for Jake and 10 for Sofia. Then to Voyage of the Little Mermaid, then Disney Jr. Live (both walked right in) and then to Fantasmic, which by 6:00 pm was standing room only. We had FP so we got wonderful seats right in the middle towards the back. DS loved it, DD was scared of the whole drawn out nightmare projections and wanted to leave but DH convinced her to stay when he saw the princesses’ barge rounding the corner, then she was enthralled.

Then over to Osborne Lights, which we arrived to see dancing to Feliz Navidad, a song we play a lot at Christmas at our house, so the kids were thrilled with that and the snow. Oh, the snow! You’d think they don’t get snow over here! We stayed about 30 minutes watching the lights and taking pictures, then headed out so we could turn in at a reasonable hour for our next day at MK. Buses were really great, ten minutes was the longest we waited. Sometimes a bus came right after another left.

We visited the Landscape of Flavors every morning. DH and DF got an omelette, and I shared a plate of pancakes and fruit with the kids. Awesome pancakes! Even though kids were usually up by 7am, we never made it to a park before 10:00am. Between getting ready, breakfast, packing food and other stuff for the day, it took a while to get out the door. We still could do a lot in spite of a later start.

Day 2 was Magic Kingdom. Was supposed to be a 3 (party day) but turned out to be a five and felt like it in terms of maneuvering around people. However before lunch we did:
-Move it, Shake it, Celebrate it (was coming down Main Street as we walked into the park at 10 am)
-Dumbo (20 minute wait)
-7dwarfs twice (FP)
-Carrousel (no wait)
-Peter Pan (FP)

Then we stopped for lunch at BOG with our FP around 1:30. Preordered so walked right in and were seated immediately at a very nice table near the windows in the ballroom. Braised pork was fantastic as many people had said here. This was our one and only table meal and we loved it.

On to:
-Railroad (whole loop, 5 minute wait)
-Cinderella and Rapunzel (FP)
-It’s a small world (no wait)-DH-s favorite ride
-Philarmagic (no wait)
-Anna and Elsa (FP)- it took me thousands of tries to get two FPs to line up to meet them, got second one the week before our departure. The person they chose for Anna looks nothing like her and her interaction seemed forced, the Elsa one is fabulous, regal and sweet, and looks like Elsa.

Then we headed to the castle to see the Frozen Holiday Wish. Had a great spot by the bridge on the left side, right by the fence so the kids could see without anyone getting in front. Then fought the crowds to get to the exit and head to the hotel.

Day 3 Epcot, recommended park, low crowds. Took it slower since we only had a few things we wanted to do:

-Met Pluto (10 minute wait)
-Spaceship Earth (FP)- kids found it boring.
-Met Mickey, Minnie and Goofy (5 minute wait)
-Finding Nemo (10 minute wait)
-Turtle Crush (5 minute wait)
-Then we spent at least a half hour looking at the aquariums, dolphins and manatees in the building. This was the highlight of the day for us.

Then over to World Showcase where we:
-met Aurora (15 minute wait). This was the best character interaction of the entire trip. She was hilarious and really looked the part. I was laughing so hard at what she was saying to the people before us when she got to us I could not even talk. DS was bashful with her and she had fun trying to get him to look forward for the picture. It was great.

DH loved the Germany pavillion (he’s German), had some bratwurst and very nice sauerkraut there. DS had to be dragged from the model train area after spending close to an hour looking at them.

We got a very tasty baguette from France along with pain au chocolats. Watched the Italy flag show which mesmerized the kids.

Then we headed back to hit:
Test Track (FP)- this was an error in judgement on my part. I am a certified chicken (won’t even do the Barnstormer) and thought this would be like riding in a car on the highway. The picture at the end shows me holding on for dear life with my eyes closed while everyone else in the car is smiling from ear to ear.

Then back to get popcorn and watch the fountain dance to the music. Then we were thirsty and I noticed the Coke sample place right behind us so we went in and spent a half hour tasting comparing notes with our fellow tasters. Very fun thing to do.

Day 4 back to MK, recommended park (party day) and it was awesome crowd-wise. Got there at 10:00 and:

-met Tinkerbell (no wait)-DH is a big fan, so we had a blast making fun of him.
-Met Ariel (25 minute wait)- I thought they could have tried to find a girl who looked more like Ariel, but she was very good with the kids.
-Under the Sea (no wait)- we really like it, done twice
-did Enchanted Tales with Belle (FP)- DS volunteered to be a pepper shaker, DD refused. I was sad thinking that DD would not get a picture but siblings were invited to the front to take the picture with the sibling who participated. It was a sweet show, Belle looked very much the part.
-Met Gaston (10 minute wait)- we stood around watching him interact with people so I decided to get in line. It was so much fun, and he is so handsome.
-Carrousel (no wait)
-Haunted Mansion (20 minute wait)
-Festival of Fantasy Parade- headed over to Frontierland around 2:30, got a great spot.
-Mine Train (FP, twice)
-Mad Tea Party (no wait) done eight times in a row
-Tomorrowland Speedway (5 minute wait)
-People mover (5 minute wait)
-Dumbo (20 minute wait)
-Barnstormer (5 minute wait) done twice

Then headed back to the hotel and the DH and the kids jumped into the pool for an hour since it was still in the 70’s in the early evening. As we were walking to the pool, DH yells: "I didn’t bring my Magic band, did you?" Then he says “I can’t believe I just said that!” and started laughing. That’s when I knew his reluctance had gone away.

Since the pool is heated and the kids didn’t get cold but DH did. Had to defrost with hot shower.

Day 5 AK. Arrived around 11:00 barely on time for:

-Kilimanjaro Safari (FP)- saw all animals except for lions. Kids went crazy over the giraffes.
-Festival of the Lion King –walked it one minute before show, got good seats and at the end walked over to Simba and he waved at the kids from his perch.
-Train to Conservation Station (no wait) it was raining by then so we stayed inside where we:
-met Rafiki (5 minute wait)- he “simbaed” the stuffed animals we had just bought for the kids.
-met Chip and Dale (10 minute wait)
-looked at the insect, poop and frog exhibits. Talked to a very nice CM about the animals.​

Then we headed to the hotel in a downpour to get some lunch at catch the bus.

DD, who was a “believer” before we left, still believes she met all the real princesses. I’m sure someone at school will soon break the spell for her, but I truly enjoyed watching her face light up at the first sight of Elsa at the Frozen show, or turning the corner and spotting Rapunzel standing there. Or realizing how much fun the Mad Tea party was (hence the 8 times in a row). And my boy, watching the joy on his face as he rode the Mine Train. And all those character hugs, like hugging long lost friends.

And DH eating so many Mickey bars.

And DF, happy to be with us, enjoying the magic with the kids.

This will likely be our one and only visit so I’m grateful that it went so well and we had so much fun.

Thank you to all the people on this forum who take the time to answer all questions, big and small. I couldn’t have planned this without you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter