I Can't See a Thing and Tiger Lady, Oh My! A Nov Mother & Daughter TR Update 5/7

Continued from Previous Post

The Friendship boats were just opening so we took one across to Morocco again. I’m not sure if I took this next picture from the boat or after we got off. As you can see, a few clouds had drifted in at this point.

So by now you may have guessed where we were headed. Yep, I was going back to Japan to try Pick a Pearl again. I figured that I had to get a small enough one in three tries! We were the only ones in the store that early in the morning. It was kind of strange because I’ve never been in there when it’s not crowded. So what did I get this time? A 7 ½ mm pearl. Still too big for the necklace! I just had to laugh at that point. I didn’t do anything with this pearl either. So in summary I got the first pearl made into a necklace but the other two I still have just in the bag. I think when we go back in Feb 2014 I will bring them and have Mom help me pick a setting for them.

When we finished in Japan, we started to think about lunch. Neither of us was really hungry yet but we had one more counter service credit left. We stopped at the Liberty Inn at the American Pavilion but nothing jumped out at us so we moved on.

We stopped in Germany because I wanted to take one more look in the glass store. Because I didn’t get my necklace, I had some money left on a gift card so I finally picked out a glass Pluto to bring home. Since we are almost to the end of this TR, you’ll get to see all of my souvenirs soon.

We talked about taking the boat from Germany back to Future World but one just left so we kept walking. We debated a margarita in Mexico but the line was really long so we skipped. Mom and I are definitely going to get one next February!

We also checked out the menu for La Hacienda de San Angel. Mom wanted to eat there but unfortunately there was nothing on the menu that I liked. So we headed back into Future World.

So where did we end up for our last Disney meal?

Yep, the Electric Umbrella. We had discussed Sunshine Seasons but were worried that it would be really crowded and we were on a time schedule that day. Mom got a Vegetable Flatbread:

And I got chicken tenders and fries:

I had been determined to go the whole week without eating chicken tenders but the only other thing on the menu I would eat was a burger. I was just not in the mood at that moment for a burger. For dessert, Mom got a fruit cup and I got chocolate chip cookies:

It took forever to get our food but that was because they make the flatbread to order. It turned out though that Mom didn’t like her flatbread at all. The sauce was way too spicy for her. She picked at it but luckily neither of us was very hungry. She mostly ate her fruit for lunch. I ate about half of my chicken tenders which were really good. I tucked the cookies down in my bag and ended up eating them on the plane home. They weren’t bad but I’ve had much better ones at Disney.

While we were eating, it started raining outside. But by the time we finished it had stopped. It was cloudy now and a bit chilly but still nice.

If you remember, we each had one snack credit left so we decided to get one more Mickey ice cream. I got my usual sandwich and Mom got a bar. And for the third time I didn’t take pictures. We sat on one of the stone benches near the fountain and just soaked up the last few minutes we had at Disney while we ate our ice cream.

When we finished Mom thought I needed to see Pluto again but the line for the Character Spot was too long so we just headed out to the front.

We were trying to delay our departure so we stopped at two different PP photographers for some pictures:

Finally we had to head out. I think it was about 1:30 pm. Our ME bus was picking us up at 2:55 pm and I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to get back to the resort. Of course a bus came immediately. We got off at the Barbados stop and walked over to the Custom House. We were really early but I picked up our carry-on bags and we found a bench to sit on until the bus came.

Our ride to the airport was uneventful. Mom’s flight was before mine so I went to her gate until she boarded and then went to mine. When I got on the plane, there was a little girl and Mom in the same row. The little girl was sitting in my seat (I always get a window seat) but the Mom insisted that C was the window seat. I knew very well that A was the window seat but I wasn’t going to make a little girl give up the window so I just took the aisle.

I spent the trip home catching up on my trip journal as I had been very bad about writing it during the trip. DH picked me up at the airport and we were home in no time. I pretty much went straight to bed after making sure that Mom made it home.

Well, that’s sort of the end. I’m going to do two more posts, one with all the souvenirs I bought and one recapping the resort and restaurants. After those two I may start a PTR for my October trip. I’m not sure I’ll do that yet since I have another TR going and writing two threads at once is a lot of work!

Up Next: I Bought a Lot of Stuff

I had my girls each pick a pearl once but I've never done it myself,although my mom gave me a good idea of having my girls start picking pearls on each trip n then i could later get a necklace made from all of them together,so i think i'
ll start that in May with Hailey.

Ahhh, I hate to see TR's end! :sad: It's a good thing I have your other one to follow still. And then by the time it is finished, Cheeky should have one going, then your Oct. PTR...okay, so you ladies keep me occupied, okay? :thumbsup2

I really have NO idea where that pic was taken. I know you said between TT and Mousegears, but I do not recognize it at all. Has that bird house always been there???

I'm glad you had a nice trip, despite the sickness. I'm sorry your mom ended up being sick for a month.

I had my girls each pick a pearl once but I've never done it myself,although my mom gave me a good idea of having my girls start picking pearls on each trip n then i could later get a necklace made from all of them together,so i think i'
ll start that in May with Hailey.

You should definitely do it on your next trip! It's a lot of fun. I want to try again in October because now I want the "Little Mermaid" necklace. It's a clam shell that they mount the pearl in.

Ahhh, I hate to see TR's end! :sad: It's a good thing I have your other one to follow still. And then by the time it is finished, Cheeky should have one going, then your Oct. PTR...okay, so you ladies keep me occupied, okay? :thumbsup2

I know, I can't believe it's over all ready. But at least I've pretty much just started the other one and I'll have the Oct and Feb trips to write about!

I really have NO idea where that pic was taken. I know you said between TT and Mousegears, but I do not recognize it at all. Has that bird house always been there???

I'm glad you had a nice trip, despite the sickness. I'm sorry your mom ended up being sick for a month.

I'm not sure if the bird houses have always been there. There is a path that leads towards World Showcase between TT and Mousegears and that's where the bird houses are.

I felt so bad for Mom as she was still sick at Christmas.

Love that you guys took advantage of the parks the morning you left! I do my best to do at least have a nice breakfast, but sometimes flights just don't work out!

As if you took Mom on Mission Space?! I steer clear of that one so hard core!Still so amazed that you got your pearl and it was STILL too big, that's crazy!!

Love that you guys took advantage of the parks the morning you left! I do my best to do at least have a nice breakfast, but sometimes flights just don't work out!

As if you took Mom on Mission Space?! I steer clear of that one so hard core!Still so amazed that you got your pearl and it was STILL too big, that's crazy!!

Doing something the last day is pretty easy for me since my flight is only an hour so I always try to plan something. I didn't do anything the last day on my solo trip and I hated it!

Have you done the green side of Mission Space? It's really very easy, no worse than Star Tours. I think the only problem would be claustrophobia if you didn't like tight spaces. That's why I won't be taking DH on it in Oct!

I know I couldn't believe my third pearl was still too big! But at least I finally got my carriage necklace on my solo trip.

Doing something the last day is pretty easy for me since my flight is only an hour so I always try to plan something. I didn't do anything the last day on my solo trip and I hated it!

Have you done the green side of Mission Space? It's really very easy, no worse than Star Tours. I think the only problem would be claustrophobia if you didn't like tight spaces. That's why I won't be taking DH on it in Oct!

I know I couldn't believe my third pearl was still too big! But at least I finally got my carriage necklace on my solo trip.

You have no idea how incredible jealous I am that you are an hour away. I hate having an entire day devoted to "getting there" ugh, kills me. I'm like I WANNA PLAY NOW!!!

I've never done either side of Mission Space, and I've never done Star Tours.I can have trouble with flashing lights, so I skipped Star Tours, and I get bad anxiety on some rides, and hate small spaces, so I think I'll be skipping it for good haha

You have no idea how incredible jealous I am that you are an hour away. I hate having an entire day devoted to "getting there" ugh, kills me. I'm like I WANNA PLAY NOW!!!

I've never done either side of Mission Space, and I've never done Star Tours.I can have trouble with flashing lights, so I skipped Star Tours, and I get bad anxiety on some rides, and hate small spaces, so I think I'll be skipping it for good haha

Sorry to make you jealous! It is nice though to not have a long flight.

If you hate small spaces then I would definitely skip Mission Space!

If you read my PTR for this trip, you will remember I had a very extensive list of souvenirs I wanted to purchase. I’ve recapped that list below with pictures of what I actually bought.

First though, Mom wanted to find some Disney night shirts and a nice pair of Mickey earrings. I don’t have pictures of her souvenirs but she did find a night shirt with the Evil Queen on it. She never did find a pair of earring she liked. She wanted plain silver Mickey heads with no “bling”. Luckily I was able to find a pair on Etsy and got them for her for Christmas. Other items she bought were a Disney address book, a Mickey key chain, an Owl change purse and good luck charm from Japan, Disney cups and a Goofy sweatshirt.

I on the other hand had a much longer list.

Pluto Pillow Pal

Nice Gold Mickey watch for work – Mom ended up buying this for me for Christmas.

A Disney Charm for my Pandora bracelet - I ended up getting Tinkerbell

Car window decal that reads “my other car is a Monorail” – It’s on my car now but I didn’t get a picture. I had DH put it on and he didn’t do a very good job (leave it to a guy to not read the directions). I almost got a second one in March but I couldn’t decide between this one and a new one that said “my other car is a Doombuggy”.

Limited Edition Pluto figurine by Arribas Brothers – I ended up not liking this one after I saw it in person. It just didn't seem nice enough to warrant the price. But I did get a Glass Figurine from Arribas Brothers. Unfortunately I recently dropped him while dusting and broke his head off. I was so mad at myself! I’ve tried super glue but it didn’t work. Anyone have another suggestion for fixing him?

Dooney & Bourke Purse – I wanted either a Disney Charms Letter Carrier Bag by Dooney & Bourke if I could find one with Pluto on it or a Sketch Leather Cross-body Bag. I looked at a whole bunch of the Charms style but never found one with Pluto. I never did see the second pattern except in a wristlet. But I did get a Dooney & Bourke. I posted pictures before but here they are again in case you missed them the first time.

Pick a Pearl in Japan. I wanted to get either a ring or the Cinderella’s Carriage necklace. As you know from reading, I ended up doing this three times and never got a pearl small enough for the Carriage necklace. I did try for a ring but didn't like any of the styles they had in my size. Here’s the necklace I got plus the other two pearls in their bags.

“Subtle” Disney shirts that I can wear on casual Friday’s at work. I didn’t find anything that would fit this category

Disney frame for my favorite Photopass Photo from the trip. It will go on the shelf at my work with pictures from the last two trips. I ended up getting one of the Osborne Lights Photo Passes printed for in this frame.

Anything else that is Pluto! I did really well in this category! First picture is a Pluto key chain, two Pluto stickers that a CM gave me and a Pluto magnet.

Pluto cup – this was actually part of a set that my Mom bought. There were four in the set, I think the other three were Mickey, Donald and Goofy. She took those three home to have at her house for my Cousin’s three kids but gave me the Pluto one.

Stuffed Pluto and a Pluto ornament I got at the Christmas Store.

And here are all the Pluto pins I traded for.

A few more random items. Here’s the stuff I got for the WAT. I got the one conservation pin for going on the Trek and then got the second one for making a donation at the Seas gift shop in Epcot.

For a co-worker and fellow Disney lover who adopted a little boy in January, I got this cute onesie:

And finally, I got the following items for DH. Mickey Boxers, two Maple Leaf Shirts that came as a set and a bottle of hot sauce from Mexico.

Up Next: Resort and Restaurant Review

Phew...I'm now caught up on both of your TR's.

Great photos of Festival of the Lion King. I'm with you...I was upset when I heard the rumors. We love that show.

I have to say your pictures with Pluto are absolutely priceless! :)

I'm sorry you and Mom were not well by that last full day and partial day. Always horrid to get sick on vacation.

However, you would never know it by looking at your photopass pictures.

I can't believe you got yet a second pearl that wouldn't fit in your setting.

You sure did get a lot of great souvenirs.

Phew...I'm now caught up on both of your TR's.

Great photos of Festival of the Lion King. I'm with you...I was upset when I heard the rumors. We love that show.

I have to say your pictures with Pluto are absolutely priceless! :)

I'm sorry you and Mom were not well by that last full day and partial day. Always horrid to get sick on vacation.

However, you would never know it by looking at your photopass pictures.

I can't believe you got yet a second pearl that wouldn't fit in your setting.

You sure did get a lot of great souvenirs.

I was so glad they aren't going to close FOLK! I do love those photos with Pluto, they turned out really great. It was no fun getting sick but at least it was only the last bit. Yep, three tries and no pearl small enough for my necklace. I was sad but at least it gave me an excuse to go back and try again on my solo trip!

Wow, you got quite a hull there! :goodvibes Nice stuff.

Thanks! I was very happy with everything I bought.

Love all your goodies! You did great! Thanks for a wonderful TR!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks! You are welcome on the TR, I've really enjoyed writing it and interacting with everyone who is reading and commenting.

I love all your souvenirs...but I have to say that I loved, LOVED your quilt! LOL..I have that same one!

Nini

Caribbean Beach Resort

Mom and I both loved CBR. I was a little worried going in because I had read some negative stuff about the size and bus system.

Yes, the resort is large but we never found the walk from Jamaica to Centertown or to the bus stop to be bad at all. I can see if you are staying in one of the distant villages that it might be a bit far but we used the internal bus system several times without much of a wait.

As for the bus system, other than the one morning where we were a little panicked about catching a bus to AK for our WAT, we had no problems at all. I don’t blame the bus system for that one morning, we should have gotten a taxi since we needed to be there so early. I think the longest we waited for a bus was 10 minutes and that was the first day when we were headed to Epcot mid day. We never found the buses to be over crowded either, we did not stand one time the whole week.

Our room was very nice and clean and our location turned out to be ideal.

I can’t comment too much on the food court since we only ate breakfast there but what we did eat was very good. It was crowded most mornings but we always found a seat without too much trouble.

We both loved the Straw Market too and spent a lot of time shopping in there.

In conclusion, we were really happy with the resort and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Table Service Restaurants

I’m going to rank these from worst to best. I’m not including the Wave in this because we only had breakfast there. We did enjoy that breakfast enough that we’ve talked about going back to try lunch or dinner sometime.

#6 – Raglan Road

We were very disappointed in this meal. Neither of us liked the bread, Mom’s salmon was over cooked and we both found our mashed potatoes to be bland and cold. My lamb though was very good. I was disappointed in my dessert because it had nuts which weren’t mentioned at all on the menu. Mom liked the bread pudding but it was way too big and she barely made a dent in it.

#5 – Chefs De France

Another one we were slightly disappointed in. Mom had the same problems with her salmon and mashed potatoes that she had at Raglan Road and my chicken was dry. Mom did love her Lobster Bisque and we both liked the french baguette. The desserts were the redeeming factor that puts Chefs De France above Raglan Road.

#4 Mama Melrose (places 4, 3, and 2 are pretty close together, I had a hard time separating them out)

We had nothing to complain about here except maybe the amount of Pancetta on Mom’s Penne ala Vodka. She was warned ahead of time by the waiter about it so she couldn’t say too much. Mama Melrose is a family favorite and we will be back many times in the future.

#3 Cape May Café

We loved everything about this meal. I only wish they still had the Oreo Bon Bons. Plus we were feeling really crummy during this meal. If it wasn’t for those two things, it might have beat out the number 2. Mom really wants to take my SIL here in February because she loves Crab.

#2 Whispering Canyon Café

The food here was delicious! I could have eaten a whole plate just of the corn. We pretty much inhaled everything on our plates. We also really enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant. All of the shenanigans were fun to watch.

Continued in Next Post

All caught up!

Overall, it sounds like you and your mom had a great trip!

I love all of your souvenirs! You did pretty well with your list. I'm sorry to hear about your glass Pluto though :(

Thanks for posting your reviews at the end. I always find them helpful. We had heard so many things about the size of AKL and how it took forever to walk anywhere, but we really didn't find it to be that bad - similar to your thoughts at CBR.

Continued from Previous Post

#1 Le Cellier

This was by far our favorite meal. It was kind of a bummer that it was first because we spent the week saying “well that was good but not as good as Le Cellier”. The pretzel bread was amazing and Mom and I both agreed that the steaks were some of the best we ever had. Dessert was also wonderful. This restaurant is on the top of the list for February because my brother really wants to eat here.

Counter Service Restaurants

#6 – Electric Umbrella

We kind of stumbled in here on our last day because we couldn’t decide where else to eat. Mom did not like her vegetable flatbread at all because it was too spicy. My chicken tenders were fine but nothing special. I doubt we will go back here, there are much better choices in Epcot.

#5 – Cosmic Rays

A good burger for both of us but nothing special. It does have a great view of the castle if you sit in the right area. I would eat here again but it will be a while because there are other options in MK that I like much better.

#4– Studio Catering Company

Mom and I both enjoyed our sandwiches here and it was nice to have some healthier choices besides a burger. We had the same dessert as Cosmic Ray's so I didn't post the picture.

#3 Pizzafari

Our pizza was great and we enjoyed the nice indoor seating with the beautiful murals.

#2 Flame Tree Barbecue

I’m kind of shocked that I ended up putting Flame Tree at #2 rather than #1. It’s always been one of my favorite counter services and will continue to be my go to at AK. Mom and I both loved our chicken and ate every bite despite the fact that we had just eaten a snack on the WAT.

#1 Yorkshire County Fish Shop

They only make one thing but boy do they do it well! This was some of the best fish and chips I’ve ever had. And the sugar cookie for dessert was phenomenal. This is one of those meals that I dreamt about later it was that good. I think I like this equally with Flame Tree but put it at #1 because it was a new experience for me. I will be back here again in the near future.

And that’s the end! For everyone that has followed along, thank you! I’ve really enjoyed writing this TR and interacting with the readers. If you haven’t already joined me for my solo TR, come on over, the link is in my signature. There will be more adventures coming up too as I have trips in the planning stages for October 2013, February 2014 and possibly May 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter