I can't believe there are people who don't like the remodeled OKW rooms...

rg35

DIS Veteran
Staying in a 2BR right now. The new rooms are great. I don't feel like the decor is "off brand" at all. Everything looks great and I don't feel like I'm back in my mom's living room circa mid-90's anymore. The new furniture is nice. In the bathrooms and kitchen they've retained the wooden cabinetry and supplemented with modern countertop finishes, stainless steel appliances, etc. The window treatments are all very nice. There are plenty of USB ports everywhere and the living room TV is huge.

We have no complaints at all about these newly updated rooms.

I think that people were complaining that the colors schemes of Old Key West were missing in the refurb. OKW has vibrant colors and in the refurb they were toned down a lot. The rooms are lovely. We stayed a studio pre and post refurb. The post refurb room was better, the only thing we missed was the counter space on the bathroom sink. The new one was much smaller.

It is nice, I like the added USB charging ports and most of the restyling. But there are things I would change, aesthetically, I honestly do miss the pop of color,even an accent wall would've been better than blah beige...and I don't care for the way they redid the wall and front around the jacuzzi tub...very beige, smooth and blah. A fake marble, if they wanted to go smooth, would've been much nicer. The bathrooms are nice, they look much better in person than in photos. And regardless, it really ISN'T themed to traditional Old Key West....beige is not what you think about when you think Key West, Florida.

Last edited:
I just booked there today for November. Moved over from POFQ and I’m so excited to try out the new rooms. I too think the reno is a huge upgrade. I think there seems to still be a bit of whimsy. Love the colourful dining chairs, the rug (I know many dislike it), the coral, the blue bathroom cabinetry.

It's nice and clean, but not a thing like Key West. I do like the fabric on the sofa and love seat (not so scratchy like the old fabric) and I like the blue sleeper chair. But all the gray, beige and bland is way too dull for Key West. It could be a Hilton anywhere in the world.

rg35, where do you own?

We thought the rooms were great and very comfortable, although I do understand and agree that they aren't particularly Key West themed. I think they could have added color without too much difficulty and without a lot of extra expense.

I do wish there was a lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom, and I didn't love the shades on the patio doors - it was a pain to open and close them each day with the draw cords. I would have preferred blinds or shutters.

We thought the rooms were great and very comfortable, although I do understand and agree that they aren't particularly Key West themed. I think they could have added color without too much difficulty and without a lot of extra expense.

I do wish there was a lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom, and I didn't love the shades on the patio doors - it was a pain to open and close them each day with the draw cords. I would have preferred blinds or shutters.
They have to make the chains short on those Roman Shades because of hanging issues with small children. There really has to be a better way than those slow, easy to damage, beaded chains.

They have to make the chains short on those Roman Shades because of hanging issues with small children. There really has to be a better way than those slow, easy to damage, beaded chains.

Yeah, I figured it was a safety issue. It was nice to have the natural light but kind of aggravating to open and close them. First world problems . . . ;)

I didn't love the shades on the patio doors - it was a pain to open and close them each day with the draw cords. I would have preferred blinds or shutters.

In our room there was a considerable gap between the window/door and the shade so from an angle, someone could see in. The window treatment is pretty but not so practical.

We just stayed in an OKW studio for the first time and I liked the room. Liked the seashell knobs on the dresser/night table and the art on the walls. HATED those patio roman shades, such a pain to put up and down and they let too much light in. Would have preferred a normal curtain. Can't understand why they didn't add the murphy beds to these - largest - studios. We only have a family of 4, but my kids would much prefer separate beds.

We just stayed in an OKW studio for the first time and I liked the room. Liked the seashell knobs on the dresser/night table and the art on the walls. HATED those patio roman shades, such a pain to put up and down and they let too much light in. Would have preferred a normal curtain. Can't understand why they didn't add the murphy beds to these - largest - studios. We only have a family of 4, but my kids would much prefer separate beds.

There's really no available wall space to place a murphy bed in the OKW studios. Floor space either IMO. The layout just doesn't allow for it.

Because they added the sleeper chair to the one bedroom villa.

I agree about the lack of Murphy bed. We have two teens and need two separate sleeping areas. We own at OKW and BWV, but choose BWV because of the Murphy bed. We find 1 bedrooms with the sleeper chair to be a bit of a waste for us. We don’t cook on vacation to fully utilize a 1 bedroom.

I agree about the lack of Murphy bed. We have two teens and need two separate sleeping areas. We own at OKW and BWV, but choose BWV because of the Murphy bed. We find 1 bedrooms with the sleeper chair to be a bit of a waste for us. We don’t cook on vacation to fully utilize a 1 bedroom.
Like Kathy said, there isn't any way to put the under the TV murphy bed in the OKW studio. There are no walls long enough for it. The room is very angular. If your teens are boy and girl, mom gets to sleep with girl and dad gets to sleep with boy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!