I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I like Universal better :(

AB6876

Mouseketeer
We just returned from a week long disney vacation and I had a few observations.
We are former DVC members and stayed at most of the resorts on property, we used to visit the parks quite frequently, however we moved north and life got in the way. This trip marked four years since we have visited WDW as a family.
The parks were packed, we were there 4/11-4/19. However it seems the strategy of arriving early is no longer beneficial.. we noticed the last two hours the park was open were actually the best time to be in the parks with the least amount of people.
Bag check... holy moly... they have to figure out a more efficient system, it was truly out of control the lines and wait associated with bringing a bag into the park.
Our last trip we used fastpass plus, we liked it, however this trip it just seemed cumbersome.. what a pain to have to figure out what you are going to ride 60 days out. There was virtually nothing of importance available the day of as far as fast passes go.
The parks were filthy, I mean trash thrown on the street, trash cans overflowing, bathrooms disgusting.. seriously it was bad.
Mobile ordering was amazing!!!! What a great way to avoid the lines.
We stayed at All Star Sports, the resort was spotless, they were painting buildings and sprucing up the place while we were there. There were at least three high school groups there for their senior trip and all were very well behaved.. it was nice seeing the kids all have a good time. Even with all the people at the resort and even though it was all star sports it was literally the best part of our disney experience (well except the beds they are horrible ).
My overall observation, they are clearly trying to run the parks with less staff, while at the same time the parks are much busier than we have seen them. The CMs are almost non existent, you don’t see them as much as you did before. The CMs we did see looked inundated and too busy to look like they are happy. They just appear overworked and underpaid.
The last day were were there we were just done with Disney. We decided on a whim to visit universal for the first time. It was a small fortune for a park to park pass with the express pass, however it was totally worth it. The parks there were clean, the team members were pleasant and honesty it just seemed like the way disney used to feel. While Disney was wall to wall people Universal was pleasantly less packed. We really didn’t even need to buy the express pass while we were there, however it was nice to have. I’m sorry I would much rather pay an up charge than decide what I’m going to be doing at a specific time 60 days out.
I can’t believe I am going to say this, as I have always been sort of anti Universal, however my next trip to central Florida will be at a Universal resort.

I had inklings of thinking this my last trip.

I am doing a split stay the end of this week - next week and I'll see if I agree

We just returned from a week long disney vacation and I had a few observations.
We are former DVC members and stayed at most of the resorts on property, we used to visit the parks quite frequently, however we moved north and life got in the way. This trip marked four years since we have visited WDW as a family.
The parks were packed, we were there 4/11-4/19. However it seems the strategy of arriving early is no longer beneficial.. we noticed the last two hours the park was open were actually the best time to be in the parks with the least amount of people.
Bag check... holy moly... they have to figure out a more efficient system, it was truly out of control the lines and wait associated with bringing a bag into the park.
Our last trip we used fastpass plus, we liked it, however this trip it just seemed cumbersome.. what a pain to have to figure out what you are going to ride 60 days out. There was virtually nothing of importance available the day of as far as fast passes go.
The parks were filthy, I mean trash thrown on the street, trash cans overflowing, bathrooms disgusting.. seriously it was bad.
Mobile ordering was amazing!!!! What a great way to avoid the lines.
We stayed at All Star Sports, the resort was spotless, they were painting buildings and sprucing up the place while we were there. There were at least three high school groups there for their senior trip and all were very well behaved.. it was nice seeing the kids all have a good time. Even with all the people at the resort and even though it was all star sports it was literally the best part of our disney experience (well except the beds they are horrible ).
My overall observation, they are clearly trying to run the parks with less staff, while at the same time the parks are much busier than we have seen them. The CMs are almost non existent, you don’t see them as much as you did before. The CMs we did see looked inundated and too busy to look like they are happy. They just appear overworked and underpaid.
The last day were were there we were just done with Disney. We decided on a whim to visit universal for the first time. It was a small fortune for a park to park pass with the express pass, however it was totally worth it. The parks there were clean, the team members were pleasant and honesty it just seemed like the way disney used to feel. While Disney was wall to wall people Universal was pleasantly less packed. We really didn’t even need to buy the express pass while we were there, however it was nice to have. I’m sorry I would much rather pay an up charge than decide what I’m going to be doing at a specific time 60 days out.
I can’t believe I am going to say this, as I have always been sort of anti Universal, however my next trip to central Florida will be at a Universal resort.

Agree totally! Our trips are now Universal centered and only side trips to Disney! So much more relaxing ! Stay at a Universal deluxe and you'll get FREE unlimited express pass to the rides(even Harry Potter)

I want to love Disney (and still like it) but Universal has taken over in customer service where Disney has chosen to leave off.

Universal is my happy place.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but as DD has gotten older, we have come to appreciate Universal more and more. It helps that we are huge Harry Potter fans, and those lands are insanely immersive. We also like the convenience of everything being so compact - it is set up more like Disneyland in that regard.

I had inklings of thinking this my last trip.

I am doing a split stay the end of this week - next week and I'll see if I agree
I truly tried to fight off the feeling. I honestly thought if I went to universal it would go away and I would come back to Disney and be over it.. boy was I wrong.

Universal is my happy place.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but as DD has gotten older, we have come to appreciate Universal more and more. It helps that we are huge Harry Potter fans, and those lands are insanely immersive. We also like the convenience of everything being so compact - it is set up more like Disneyland in that regard.

I honestly didn’t like many of the rides at Universal, they are too intense for me I did love the feeling of the parks. The Harry Potter rides were just meh! However both Harry Potter lands are amazing.. the detail is unmatched..
I didn’t think Pandora was that fantastic, however FOP was the best ride I have ever been on. But the new Pandora world was well done it just didn’t hold a lot of interest for me.

I've renewed my Universal AP but will be retiring from Disney for a while when that pass expires in August. What with the crowds, the cost, the whole do not disturb thing and now the parking charges, the shine has worn off with Mickey and me. I've been doing split stays for years and I can often stay at a UO resort with Unlimited Express, a nicer room and much nicer pool for the cost of a room at a Pop. I must confess I'm a little concerned about how it will be visiting Orlando with no Disney!

I must confess I'm a little concerned about how it will be visiting Orlando with no Disney!

We were too at first- but while we relax at a Universal resort that appreciates us (and rewards us for visits with points for free nights), walk steps to the parks and City Walk with fast, efficient security, get unlimited express pass to all the rides, we say why haven't we done this sooner??

We only go to WDW every 4-5 years. Universal we try to go more often. The hotels are nicer and better staffed, the parks are not so crowded, Express Pass is awesome, and the best attractions at Universal are better than the best ones at WDW.

Disney has the edge with park/hotel theming and I'm looking forward to the Star Wars addition to DHS. When that new land opens I can envision nothing but grid lock. They may have to control the number of people being let in.

We did a week at Universal in November and had a great time. No Express Pass (we were staying at Cabana Bay which was awesome) but we managed to not wait more than 20 minutes for anything...at the end of our trip we were wiped out in a way we never are at Disney. I don't think we need another vacation just at Universal for a good couple of years. It was just a barrage of non-stop adrenaline with little down time. Every public bathroom was a horror show. People were smoking everywhere (not in smoking areas).

But the best part is that nobody has to choose...both parks are there and available to us all! We all win!

However both Harry Potter lands are amazing.. the detail is unmatched..
I didn’t think Pandora was that fantastic...

I had the same feeling. Pandora, for how much it was hyped up, seemed very artificial to me. Very plasticky. The plants were clearly plastic, the bug noises weren't evenly distributed and very clearly coming from speakers, even the "rope" tied around posts was plastic. I kept thinking to myself certainly real rope must be cheaper and better wearing than plastic, right?

In Universal, however, everything just seemed more authentic. Shingles are actual shingles, not plastic meant to look like shingles. Wood is actually wood, not plastic painted to look wood-like. I'd always believed, like many do, that Disney was the one's who were all about the details, but it seems like lately that's actually, Universal. I still like Disney more, but I can't deny that they seem to be phoning it in and resting on their laurels while Universal is create truly authentic experiences.

We don't get to Orlando often so we do split stays. We always end at Universal so we can relax. Disney is so hectic and the planning is insane. I love both but give Universal a slight edge.

I didn't realize that!

YES! We stay at the Hard Rock hotel and are members of Hard Rock rewards. We get points for our hotel stays, Hard Rock cafe meals, and Hard Rock souvenir shop purchases. So far in the last few years, we've accrued 4 FREE days!!( We've had quite a few stays!!) I believe that the other hotels have some type of loyalty program as well.

US has spent a ton of time and effort upgrading their parks over the past 10 years and it shows...we did 2 days at US in mid November and it was great...didn't have to know which ride we wanted to do or which restaurant we wanted to eat at 60 days before... nice not to have to plan every minute..

We are trying US this summer for the first time. I can't wait. We love Disney, but like a pp said, need a little break from the crowds, up charges, reduction in staff etc. We'll see how it goes.

US has spent a ton of time and effort upgrading their parks over the past 10 years and it shows...we did 2 days at US in mid November and it was great...didn't have to know which ride we wanted to do or which restaurant we wanted to eat at 60 days before... nice not to have to plan every minute..
I agree... I like to plan, but honestly picking times for rides just goes too far in my opinion. We avoid sit down restaurants because I have no idea where and when we will eat 6 months in advance.. if there’s a special restaurant then yes I don’t mind making a reservation however 6 months in advance is ridiculous.

Universal was more relaxed and we could do what ever park we wanted to first, the added express pass is there if you want or need it.. it’s just more of a vacation feel..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter