"I brushed my teeth, and I don't have cooties." An August DFTW and Disneymoon TR

If you read my PTR then you'll know that we were going to the party as...

jPBU7dT.jpg

...Peter Pan and his shadow!

Cute!

Not to be thwarted, I ended up buying a white polo instead, and dyeing it green at home in my mop bucket!

Nice job, but I can't believe a green polo was that hard to find…weird :confused3

Our hour-long wait ended up only being 36 minutes, so I was thrilled with that! I couldn't believe how cute they all looked dressed up!

vDt2gWq.jpg

We had a good interaction and didn't feel rushed. Then...this:

YZcC8Pn.jpg

Oh, how cute! We waited for Jack and Sally last year. Maybe this year we'll wait for Pooh :love:

We had time, so I decided to get in line for the Haunted Mansion photopass picture with the ghostly driver. As you can see below, it was a pretty traumatic experience:

Bm4W5UN.jpg

I love those PP pictures :-)

It was dark now, and all the Halloween decorations really shone! I've never been a particularly Halloween-obsessed kind of person, but I truly think that I prefer the Halloween decorations at the MK to the Christmas ones,

Me too…nobody does Halloween like Disney :love:

Suddenly, in the middle of a musical number, all the performers must have gotten a message that the stage conditions were unsafe because they all suddenly turned and left the stage and the show was called off.

Aw, boo!

but I was seriously impressed with this one!

My very favorite parade :lovestruc

We got into the elevator, along with another couple, to go up to our room. It started to go up, and then stopped, kind of jostled a little, and made a terrible, low, metallic-type sound!

:scared1:

jPBU7dT.jpg

Super cute idea!

I was so excited, walking in to the Magic Kingdom, to notice that the park had been decorated for Halloween, seemingly overnight! (Possibly literally overnight.)

I want to see these decoration someday.

I wasn't super hungry yet, so I ordered the prawns, which I believe are no longer on the menu? (It makes sense, because while these were good, it wasn't a great value due to the small nature of the meal.)

This is a super tiny meal.

I was worried that we wouldn't last long in our costumes without melting, despite having considered the heat when I made them...and I didn't see the felt hats lasting long in the August temps, so I wanted to get some photopass pictures out of the way ASAP:

Wise move.

It was already starting to rain at the point this picture was taken, and it's certainly not one of my most flattering looks, but I still love it because it reminds me of our lovely meet, and also because the three of us made up: Peter, his shadow, and the Blue Fairy! :goodvibes Thanks so much for saying hello, Susan! Hopefully we'll cross paths again this August!

That's a really cool DisMeet.

After our Dismeet, I had another priority: to ride Peter Pan as Peter Pan. That's where we went next.

This makes perfect sense. I think Peter Pan is my favorite Fantasyland kiddie ride.

Our hour-long wait ended up only being 36 minutes, so I was thrilled with that! I couldn't believe how cute they all looked dressed up!

I love their costumes.

Great picture and worth the wait.

Then we did something we'd been planning to do for multiple trips and had never managed to do...get N his first turkey leg!

This is usually a hit with our family, but we haven't gotten it in a while. I guess no one was hungry when we passed them.

Then with just over 5 minutes till the show, after most of the surrounding areas had been filled with people, a CM arrived where we were sitting (which had been completely unmarked and not roped off at all) and told us that we'd have to move because they were roping the area off as a disability section. We told them that we'd been waiting since the fireworks ended and hadn't been told to move, and asked if they had any suggestions as to where we should go, but they basically told us that we were out of luck. As someone who needs certain types of disability-related accommodations, I 100% am all for accessible viewing areas for those who need it. I just wish that the area had been marked sooner. It could have easily been roped off immediately after the fireworks crowd dispersed. We left and found another nearby area to squeeze into behind some stupidly tall people, but we still had a mostly-decent view of the castle stage.

This really stinks.

The Hocus Pocus show commenced, and I was excited to see it because I had watched Hocus Pocus for the very first time a couple of weeks prior to the trip in preparation for the Halloween party. (I can't believe I'd never watched it before!!)

We love this movie. It's a classic and must be watched at least once every Halloween season.

I'm a fan of parades anyway, but I was seriously impressed with this one! I tried not to be influenced by all the hype surrounding the Boo to You parade, and how it's the best parade, etc....but now I really agree that it is! I loved the grave diggers, who managed to make sparks on the ground with their shovels despite all the rain. For that matter, I loved all of the Haunted Mansion-inspired/ghostly performers. The villain floats were excellent, and it was a neat opportunity to see some rarely-viewed characters. The music is SO catchy! I was so glad that they managed to put on the parade for us, despite the nasty conditions.

It sounds so fabulous. Someday I'm going to have to make it there.

After a little too much extra excitement that night, I was ready for bed!

That elevator ride really was the scariest thing that night.

The smart families usually take the first half of a party day as a rest day so they can party all night long.
For my August trip, we've decided to shop at Disney Springs in the morning, have lunch at Homecomin', then go to the Halloween party. So I don't know if that makes us smart or not! Maybe not quite as tiring as beating around the parks all day, but not that relaxing either.

Enjoyed reading about your MNSSHP experience. I'm looking forward to going to another one. I have to confess that I've never gotten a picture with a character at a party before. I always assumed the lines are way too long.

Yay! We're finally getting to another one of the big highlights of the trip—our Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) night!

Yay!!!

which means that maybe I'll actually get this TR finished at some point after all! :worship:

:faint:

I believe this was supposed to be me as Peter, "flying?" I share this, despite my own shame, for your personal entertainment:

FqRTwhl.jpg

:laughing: Thank you for sharing that. You're adorbs, just so you know.

I ended up buying a white polo instead, and dyeing it green at home in my mop bucket!

Wow. You really wanted that. Good for you for thinking of and doing that.

I picked up my "waffle cone" soap,

How did it taste?

as well as a couple of tubes of bath salts. (The actual bath kind, not the I'll-eat-your-face kind.)

Eat your face kind???

the park had been decorated for Halloween, seemingly overnight! (Possibly literally overnight.)

Quite possibly. Disney magic, ya know.

Skipper Canteen was excellent, as it typically has been for us. (We've only had one less-than-stellar experience there so far.) N ordered our favourite, the Can't Believe it's Not Chicken, and he got them to prepare it safely for allergies so I could nibble if I wanted to.

I've eaten there once and enjoyed it... but I don't know if it's worth a repeat visit for me.

(They've since changed the rice in this dish, and it makes me SOO upset because it used to be wildly addictive, and now it's just plain white [jasmine? don't remember...] rice. I got far more emotional than was probably merited when I found this out the hard way after ordering the dish in May.)

Oh really? That's a shame. The rice was really tasty.

I wasn't super hungry yet, so I ordered the prawns, which I believe are no longer on the menu? (It makes sense, because while these were good, it wasn't a great value due to the small nature of the meal.)

9dWJhrJ.jpg

Looks a little... like you're going to be starving really soon.

We didn't order dessert so we could save room for a fan-favourite:

LOLFX5C.jpg

Vanilla ice cream?

:duck:

I can't remember for certain, but I think we may have each ordered our own this time...because N was probably catching on to the fact by now that if I "shared" with him, I'd eat all of it. :goodvibes

:laughing:

We wanted to make sure that we rode the Haunted Mansion at least once this night, so we went there next.

I SHOULD HOPE SO!!!

:sad2:

qrFqnpA.jpg

*spoooooookkkyyyyyy*

Excellent shot!

I didn't see the felt hats lasting long in the August temps

Did they last? It looked like they did.

(See: angry sky.)

I see, Meghan.

Judy Hopps must have seen me wildly waving and fan-girling, because she gave me this super-cute excited wave:

o9OWf3C.jpg

I love that bunny.

:laughing: Awww... :)

We got our treat bags, and mine was teal, which is the official colour for allergy awareness.

Huh! I had no idea. Is that a Disney official or a world-wide one?

Whenever we'd go to a trick-or-treat stop, they'd give me a teal-coloured token, which I could redeem at the allergy stations for safe treats. However, when I went to those locations, they didn't base my number of treats on my number of tokens at all. They just told me what they had and asked what I wanted. I wish I'd known that because I wouldn't have bothered with as many trick-or-treat lines that night. But at least it made a difference for the number of treats N was given.

Well..... that's not right. You should be rewarded for your hard work.

It also felt a little awkward and gluttonous to be like, "Actually, I would like you to give me MORE junk food, please."

Nope. That's what trick or treating is all about.

So both times I went, I just asked for a few things and then left. :sad1:

Unfair and unjust. :( Not pleased to read that.

She knew us from the boards and knew what costumes we'd be wearing, so she recognized us!

Nice!!! You got recognized. :goodvibes

Peter, his shadow, and the Blue Fairy! :goodvibes

Awesome!! :)

After our Dismeet, I had another priority: to ride Peter Pan as Peter Pan.

Of course! You had to!

He told me that the line was going to be about an hour's wait at that point, and that we should get in line now if we wanted to meet them in their festive duds.

Good call. I won't stand in line again. I did it once for the TR, but that was enough. Too much of a time sucker.

Our hour-long wait ended up only being 36 minutes

Nice! Much better than my 2.5 hours... or whatever it was. Think it was that long.

:lovestruc Cutest Hundred Acre friends!!

::yes::

Okay, so I think the turkey leg thing is a little strange, but I've accepted it as a Disney classic. N, however, loved it! But he likes turkey, and he likes ham, and since the Disney turkey leg kind of tastes like a satirically-large hybrid of the two, it makes sense that he enjoyed it.

I get that. I kept seeing those and wondering "Why?"... then I bought one (at our local fair) and.... holy crap it was good!

We had time, so I decided to get in line for the Haunted Mansion photopass picture with the ghostly driver. As you can see below, it was a pretty traumatic experience:

Are you okay? Did you recover from your ordeal?

The haunted mansion was lit beautifully, though. I thought it was really neat—eery, yet also lovely:

::yes:: Love the fog, too.

I went into the gift shop and inquired about party-specific pins, and they pulled some out for me...which I, naturally, purchased.

Naturally. ;)

I have a problem.

:rotfl:

It was Hades....and it OPENED UP! See below:

Cool!

Before leaving Tomorrowland, we also rode Buzz (where I kicked N's butt, as per usual,)

You guys are intense!

I offered to go turn in the rest of my allergy treat tokens at the location on Main Street while he rode, which seemed like a reasonable suggestion to him.

And very nice of you.

By then, it was near time to find a spot for something brand-new to us, and very exciting: HalloWishes!

Yuss...

We were both so impressed with this show! I think it's probably taken the place of N's favourite nighttime show now, and it's pretty close for me, too.

I love HalloWishes. For me, it's by far the best night time show.

I've never been a particularly Halloween-obsessed kind of person,

I am!

but I truly think that I prefer the Halloween decorations at the MK to the Christmas ones, or to any other seasonal decor at WDW, for that matter

::yes::

We told them that we'd been waiting since the fireworks ended and hadn't been told to move, and asked if they had any suggestions as to where we should go, but they basically told us that we were out of luck.

What??? Man, that's not right. :(

all the performers must have gotten a message that the stage conditions were unsafe because they all suddenly turned and left the stage and the show was called off.

Poop. That's too bad. Guess you'll just have to go back... and not just for that...

Just when I was beginning to lose hope, sitting cold and damp in my soggy polo and my squelchy felt hat...I began to hear the parade music in the distance! And soon enough, this was coming around the corner:

I don't know if you realize... at least you didn't mention it... And it will not happen if the ground is wet. Not puddles, necessarily, just damp.
The headless horseman rides out at the beginning of the parade and is the highlight of the parade.

You have to go back. Just to see that.

I didn't get any good parade photos. I never do. But here are a few bad ones:

Disagree. For example...

... this one is exceptionally good.

We got into the elevator, along with another couple, to go up to our room. It started to go up, and then stopped, kind of jostled a little, and made a terrible, low, metallic-type sound!

Just part of your Halloween experience.

Ok, I'm finally caught up on this one - now need to start on your solo TR!

One of the neat things about this tour is getting to go behind the scenes (or seeds, if you will) of Living With the Land, and digging a little deeper. Unfortunately, the ride wasn't running at the time, so we didn't get to watch the guests and try to look all superior and VIP-like. They just kept sending through empty boats the whole time we were there. It was kind of eery.
Have you ever seen The Leftovers? I'd be freaking out that something like that happened where everyone else disappeared!

If you read my PTR then you'll know that we were going to the party as...

jPBU7dT.jpg

So cute!

The problem was finding a green polo in my size. I checked the women's and men's sections everywhere I went, and only ever found one green polo, and only in a men's XL. Not to be thwarted, I ended up buying a white polo instead, and dyeing it green at home in my mop bucket!
I ended up having to do that for my C-3PO Disneybounding (though to be fair, it would have worked well as a Halloween costume). I tried all these different versions of yellow shorts or pants or skirt but none of them were comfortable enough. Finally I got a pair of white shorts and dyed them yellow and it came out great!

I was worried that we wouldn't last long in our costumes without melting, despite having considered the heat when I made them...and I didn't see the felt hats lasting long in the August temps, so I wanted to get some photopass pictures out of the way ASAP:

P1GNKNk.jpg

Tu94Nvq.jpg
The shots are just so awesome!

vDt2gWq.jpg

We had a good interaction and didn't feel rushed. Then...this:

YZcC8Pn.jpg

I really regret not waiting in that line at our party.

Originally, I'd wanted to go to the party as Christopher Robin (with my pixie cut) and Pooh, but N joked that I was making a "fat joke" by casting him as Pooh Bear, so we went another direction. :laughing:
You could have made him be "owl", so it would have been a whole gang of 100 Acre Wood characters!

Side note: I think the party-specific magic shots are really neat, and my one regret is that we didn't spend more time getting more of them taken. I'm planning to do better in that regard at the party this summer!
Yeah, me too! I think we were so exhausted that day that we just gave up!

We were both so impressed with this show! I think it's probably taken the place of N's favourite nighttime show now, and it's pretty close for me, too.
Oh, you need to see the Disneyland Halloween fireworks! Even better, and instead of flying Tinkerbell, we have flying Zero, plus a suspended screen above the castle that shows Jack's head. And awesome Halloween projections on the castle!

Then with just over 5 minutes till the show, after most of the surrounding areas had been filled with people, a CM arrived where we were sitting (which had been completely unmarked and not roped off at all) and told us that we'd have to move because they were roping the area off as a disability section. We told them that we'd been waiting since the fireworks ended and hadn't been told to move, and asked if they had any suggestions as to where we should go, but they basically told us that we were out of luck. As someone who needs certain types of disability-related accommodations, I 100% am all for accessible viewing areas for those who need it. I just wish that the area had been marked sooner. It could have easily been roped off immediately after the fireworks crowd dispersed. We left and found another nearby area to squeeze into behind some stupidly tall people, but we still had a mostly-decent view of the castle stage.
That is so annoying! And with 5 minutes before showtime, you'd think everyone, including disabled, would have already gotten spots!

I love your Peter Pan and shadow costumes, so cute!

Sorry the rain was disrupting things for you!

I agree with the parade and fireworks, they are the best!

What party are you two attending this August. I am trying to say no to the 8/17 one since we are doing the DAH, it is hard because it is such a fun party!

I’m sorry the allergy treats were not that great. Andi did the regular trick or treating then gives me all the candy we know she can’t eat. I give her all my KitKats and Milky Ways.

All caught up over here again!

jPBU7dT.jpg

I love this!!! So cute!

I was so excited, walking in to the Magic Kingdom, to notice that the park had been decorated for Halloween, seemingly overnight! (Possibly literally overnight.)

VH5RMl2.jpg
We were in Disney over what they call Jersey week, the first week in November and one day it was Halloween stuff and then the next day it was Christmas!

9dWJhrJ.jpg
I had this one time and it was just ok. Nice and light for sure but nothing to rave about. We do love Skipper Canteen haven't been disappointed yet.

I just love it!

o9OWf3C.jpg

I love that bunny.
Judy is the best! And this is a great shot!

YZcC8Pn.jpg

Too cute. I love Eyore in the party outfit.

D17saP2.jpg

Okay, so I think the turkey leg thing is a little strange, but I've accepted it as a Disney classic. N, however, loved it! But he likes turkey, and he likes ham, and since the Disney turkey leg kind of tastes like a satirically-large hybrid of the two, it makes sense that he enjoyed it.
It does kind of taste ham like. Andy was a big fan of the pork shank that they had at Gaston's Tavern. But that has been gone so long now... So sad... Way better that the turkey legs.

jPBU7dT.jpg

Perfection! How clever and fitting of your new do!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Yum! I've yet to try this but have always wanted to. I can't pull myself away from all the yummy apps.

Great picture!

We'd been hoping to get a chance to meet, but then I got spacey leading up to the trip and we never ended up making concrete plans, so I was so glad to get the chance to meet her and share a few stories about our trips!

nI1PRGU.jpg
So happy you all got to meet. Great picture!

Originally, I'd wanted to go to the party as Christopher Robin (with my pixie cut) and Pooh, but N joked that I was making a "fat joke" by casting him as Pooh Bear, so we went another direction. :laughing:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

We found a spot toward the hub-end of Main Street, where we'd be approximately front-and-center, but still far back enough to be able to appreciate the "360-fireworks" in the periphery.

gr5XD9F.jpg
We aren't going to a party in August, but I'm trying to get CG reservations so we can see Hallowishes!

We told them that we'd been waiting since the fireworks ended and hadn't been told to move, and asked if they had any suggestions as to where we should go, but they basically told us that we were out of luck.
How ridiculous. If they are going to block it off start doing so when you see people queuing up.

I began to hear the parade music in the distance! And soon enough, this was coming around the corner:

3AAQsmz.jpg
So glad you got to see the parade!

t started to go up, and then stopped, kind of jostled a little, and made a terrible, low, metallic-type sound! We looked at the other couple, and they looked back at us. We were stopped, so we tried hitting the open door button. It didn't do anything. Then we tried the emergency button. The elevator gave a tiny lurch. As a last-ditch attempt, we hit the open door button again...and after a few seconds the doors opened to the ground floor again. We all got out, nervously laughing to each other.
Yikes! Though somehow fitting for your haunted night.

A very Happy Canada D'Eh to all my Canadian Disfriends, and all of you who know and love a Canadian!

"Don't let your luggage define your travels."

What about those of us who LIKE Canadians like you, pkondz, Terra Nova guy, etc? We don't count? :sad2:

What about those of us who LIKE Canadians like you, pkondz, Terra Nova guy, etc? We don't count? :sad2:

As your neighbourhood friendly Canadian, I have to say, “Of course you’re included! The more the merrier! And SORRY I didn’t mention you earlier!” :thumbsup2

Thanks for that Meghan. Rather enjoyed that. :)

You’re so welcome. I really like his poetry, especially that one.

I read your latest update last night and thought I'd commented but apparently not. Since I'm so far behind I'm not multi-quoting or whatnot, just making sure you know I'm here reading and still enjoying everyone's updates very much. Cute but simple costumes- good job!

Happy Canada Day to you too Meghan. I saw some Facebook posts this morning and all I can hear now is this:

Thanks so much, Melinda! Oh, I had this exact song stuck in my head this morning! I was singing it and people were looking at me like I was crazy. Apparently kids today have never heard it?

Thank you so much!

I read your latest update last night and thought I'd commented but apparently not. Since I'm so far behind I'm not multi-quoting or whatnot, just making sure you know I'm here reading and still enjoying everyone's updates very much. Cute but simple costumes- good job!

Thanks for checking in, Liesa! Glad to know you’re still hanging in there and reading my musings! :) And thanks! We’re going the simple route with costumes again this year, but I’m still pleased with them.

jPBU7dT.jpg

I love the outfits!! They are perfect!

When I was making the costumes, I had no trouble finding shorts for both of us, a black polo for N, and felt to make our hats. The problem was finding a green polo in my size. I checked the women's and men's sections everywhere I went, and only ever found one green polo, and only in a men's XL. Not to be thwarted, I ended up buying a white polo instead, and dyeing it green at home in my mop bucket!

very resourceful! I can't believe you couldn't find a green polo but it's always like, when you really need something, you can never find it in your size...

3ntNTBI.jpg

(They've since changed the rice in this dish, and it makes me SOO upset because it used to be wildly addictive, and now it's just plain white [jasmine? don't remember...] rice. I got far more emotional than was probably merited when I found this out the hard way after ordering the dish in May.)

Looks yummy! Sorry about the non interesting white rice switch!

I love this picture!

cSLw476.jpg

Whenever we'd go to a trick-or-treat stop, they'd give me a teal-coloured token, which I could redeem at the allergy stations for safe treats. However, when I went to those locations, they didn't base my number of treats on my number of tokens at all. They just told me what they had and asked what I wanted. I wish I'd known that because I wouldn't have bothered with as many trick-or-treat lines that night. But at least it made a difference for the number of treats N was given. It also felt a little awkward and gluttonous to be like, "Actually, I would like you to give me MORE junk food, please." So both times I went, I just asked for a few things and then left. :sad1:

Interesting. I guess they had a limited supply but how is that fun for the allergy people when they have to ASK for specific treats! :confused3

On our way back to Fantasyland, the weather was looking even more ominous. Just before it started to downpour, however, I heard someone calling our names...and it was @suse66! She knew us from the boards and knew what costumes we'd be wearing, so she recognized us! We'd been hoping to get a chance to meet, but then I got spacey leading up to the trip and we never ended up making concrete plans, so I was so glad to get the chance to meet her and share a few stories about our trips!

nI1PRGU.jpg

Aww cute!! I love it! Glad you guys got to meet!

YZcC8Pn.jpg

Awww I love their costumes. I missed them last time. I think I will have to get pics with them at our next MNSSHP.

Hahaha!

Steve likes them too. I'm ok with them but I have to be really in the mood for...ham. Hahaha.

So cool! I love this picture!

The fireworks are amazing! I love the 360 fireworks.

I'm a fan of parades anyway, but I was seriously impressed with this one! I tried not to be influenced by all the hype surrounding the Boo to You parade, and how it's the best parade, etc....but now I really agree that it is! I loved the grave diggers, who managed to make sparks on the ground with their shovels despite all the rain. For that matter, I loved all of the Haunted Mansion-inspired/ghostly performers. The villain floats were excellent, and it was a neat opportunity to see some rarely-viewed characters. The music is SO catchy! I was so glad that they managed to put on the parade for us, despite the nasty conditions.

I loved the Parade too! Much better than the Christmas parade. The gravediggers are the best part!

When we got back to the WL, we had the scariest experience of our Halloween-themed night! You may recall that I mentioned earlier about the terrible luck we'd had with creepy elevators on our trip. This night, by far, was the worst. We got into the elevator, along with another couple, to go up to our room. It started to go up, and then stopped, kind of jostled a little, and made a terrible, low, metallic-type sound! We looked at the other couple, and they looked back at us. We were stopped, so we tried hitting the open door button. It didn't do anything. Then we tried the emergency button. The elevator gave a tiny lurch. As a last-ditch attempt, we hit the open door button again...and after a few seconds the doors opened to the ground floor again. We all got out, nervously laughing to each other. The other couple, understandably, opted to take the stairs. N decided we should risk taking the other elevator up to our room, and while I wasn't too keen on the idea, it got us there without incident. After a little too much extra excitement that night, I was ready for bed!

Oh scary! I guess a ghost had followed you home from HM? :scared1:

I love the outfits!! They are perfect!

Thank you!!

very resourceful! I can't believe you couldn't find a green polo but it's always like, when you really need something, you can never find it in your size...

Exactly. And I did find a couple of things that were either very very pale green, or very very dark. Even those were hard to come by. But anything that was anywhere close to a Peter-y type of green was not to be found anywhere. It was the strangest thing!

Awww I love their costumes. I missed them last time. I think I will have to get pics with them at our next MNSSHP.

They look soo cute in their costumes! I hope you can fit it in next time.

The fireworks are amazing! I love the 360 fireworks.

I agree!

Oh scary! I guess a ghost had followed you home from HM? :scared1:

:laughing: This is the only explanation I can come up with!

Happy Canada Day to you too Meghan. I saw some Facebook posts this morning and all I can hear now is this:

Also, fun fact: the woman who sings the Canada song from the O Canada Epcot film was the winner of our less-successful version of American Idol, "Canadian Idol"...like a decade ago...and I remember being super obsessed with her in middle school or early high school when she won. I called in from our landline and voted for her on the show every week! :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter