I Better Vote Tomorrow...

It's very expensive to move. I highly doubt that. How are they making voting more difficult? Making people register? checking ID's?

My ds registered to vote for the first time this year. He did his research and found out he could register before he turned 18, knew the deadline to do it online and did it. It took all of 10 minutes.
It was just about the easiest thing in the world. Now I get that some people may not have internet access, but that isn't an excuse for things being hard. Any of us who turned 18 decades ago somehow managed to register without the of aide of the world wide web. ;)

Do you have actual stats that show that?
In my experience, both past and current, the people I know who fall in to the low income threshold are not transient at all. In fact they tend to stay where they are because that is what they can afford.

A quote from one of the studies I found (https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/673963?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents):

"Although mobility is common across the economic spectrum, low-income households move more frequently than other households, and they are more likely to experience negative mobility in the form of evictions and homeless episodes."

My ds registered to vote for the first time this year. He did his research and found out he could register before he turned 18, knew the deadline to do it online and did it. It took all of 10 minutes.
It was just about the easiest thing in the world. Now I get that some people may not have internet access, but that isn't an excuse for things being hard. Any of us who turned 18 decades ago somehow managed to register without the of aide of the world wide web. ;)
It's funny because I work in a hospital even the poorest of the poor I take care of have smart phones. They can't pay for a cab home, but they have an I phone. Maybe I'm a little cynical, but I think if your not capable of figuring out how to vote you probably shouldn't be voting. The only people I encounter that have trouble navigating the internet are the elderly and they're used to doing things the old fashioned way. Most of them have never missed an election.

I would expect them to be "better" with their mail. That really isn't anyone elses fault but their own. If they decide they want to vote after 7 years of being inactive but ignored their mail for the previous 6 months that is really on them.
Ignorance isn't an excuse, if you are voting in this country and you are uninformed at how the process works, that is on you. You can't cry about it and blame anyone else for what you chose to be ignorant about.

I know that pesky personal responsibility thing bothers people, maybe that's really the generational "thing" we are seeing.

(That wasn't directed at you personally, it was a general thing using your not good with mail thing as a discussion point.)

My point is that the process can be needlessly complicated. I vote often and I STILL was confused by the ballot at my polling place this morning. There shouldn't be separate rules in different states, different ways for votes to be tallied, different ways for ballots to be completed, different rules for who gets to vote when, where and how. The process should not be subject to variables of location, transportation, employment, class, education, etc.

My point is that the process can be needlessly complicated. I vote often and I STILL was confused by the ballot at my polling place this morning. There shouldn't be separate rules in different states, different ways for votes to be tallied, different ways for ballots to be completed, different rules for who gets to vote when, where and how. The process should not be subject to variables of location, transportation, employment, class, education, etc.
Everything in life is subject to all those things. What is so confusing about filling out a ballot?

A quote from one of the studies I found (https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/673963?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents):

"Although mobility is common across the economic spectrum, low-income households move more frequently than other households, and they are more likely to experience negative mobility in the form of evictions and homeless episodes."

Thank you for providing that link, unfortunately I can't access the full report without signing up for an account and I'm not willing to do that. I'm sure it is informative, as in my experience those who I know didn't really move all that much so it would provide a look at many other's experiences.

Everything in life is subject to all those things. What is so confusing about filling out a ballot?

It's that not black and white.

Here's just ONE example of a difference in experience that could lead to a person not voting.

This morning, I walked to my polling place from my apartment. It took me 10 minutes to walk there, it took me fifteen minutes to vote (short line to both vote and scan) and then I was already going in the right direction to get to work, on time. My employers, however, had sent an email saying that if we were late due to voting, that would be excused. My state does not have early voting, so unless you can vote absentee, you must go to the polls on Election Day to vote.

Compare that to someone with a polling place that is not convenient. They must travel out of the direction of their job to get to their polling place. Maybe they don't have a car, so they have to figure out how to get there as well. They then have to get to work from the polling place. Their polling place is crowded, and the scanners aren't working, so they are waiting for an hour, maybe two, to cast their vote. In the meantime, they are late for work, and unlike some places of employment, their boss is not going to be lenient about the delay.

These two situations are not anywhere NEAR the same. Do you think that people in Situation 1 have more of the right to cast their vote than people in Situation 2? It's not just "filling out a ballot." It should be! But it's not.

It's that not black and white.

Here's just ONE example of a difference in experience that could lead to a person not voting.

This morning, I walked to my polling place from my apartment. It took me 10 minutes to walk there, it took me fifteen minutes to vote (short line to both vote and scan) and then I was already going in the right direction to get to work, on time. My employers, however, had sent an email saying that if we were late due to voting, that would be excused. My state does not have early voting, so unless you can vote absentee, you must go to the polls on Election Day to vote.

Compare that to someone with a polling place that is not convenient. They must travel out of the direction of their job to get to their polling place. Maybe they don't have a car, so they have to figure out how to get there as well. They then have to get to work from the polling place. Their polling place is crowded, and the scanners aren't working, so they are waiting for an hour, maybe two, to cast their vote. In the meantime, they are late for work, and unlike some places of employment, their boss is not going to be lenient about the delay.

These two situations are not anywhere NEAR the same. Do you think that people in Situation 1 have more of the right to cast their vote than people in Situation 2? It's not just "filling out a ballot." It should be! But it's not.
Your argument doesn't make sense. Polling places are available to everyone, early voting is available in most states. I'm not sure how voting could be much easier. Do you expect people to come to your house or work place so you can vote. Life happens and if you can't vote you can't vote. I didn't not vote in 2014 because my mom had a major stroke and was in the hospital. Voting wasn't a priority at the time....no big deal. For the majority of people who want to vote they find a way. Does life sometimes inhibit you from voting? Of course and no one is going to hold this against you. My dh works nights he had to go to work with 3 hours sleep to vote today. It's never going to be easy for everyone, but if you want to vote you find a way. If you have a solution to making it easier....please do share. I really don't see how it could be much easier.

Last edited:
Your argument doesn't make sense. Polling places are available to everyone, early voting is available in most states. I'm not sure how voting could be much easier. Do you expect people to come to your house or work place so you can vote. Life happens and if you can't vote you can't vote. I didn't not vote in 2014 because my mom had a major stroke and was in the hospital. Voting wasn't a priority at the time....no big deal. For the majority of people who want to vote they find a way. Does life sometimes inhibit you from voting? Of course and no one is going to hold this against you. My dh works nights he had to go to work with 3 hours sleep to vote today. It's never going to be easy for everyone, but if you want to vote you find a way. If you have a solution to making it easier....please do share. I really don't see how it could be much easier.

About a third of states do not allow early voting, absentee voting is available but states have very different rules on what is and is not allowed as an excuse for absentee voting and rules about when absentee ballots are counted vary, and many places in this country do not have easy access to polling places especially for those homcannt drive/don’t have a car.

You asked how it could be easier- Universal early voting, Saturday voting instead of a traditional workday voting, same day registration.

The number one thing they could do is follow Oregon’s model for mail-in elections. Their turnout is 25-30 points higher than the national average.

About a third of states do not allow early voting, absentee voting is available but states have very different rules on what is and is not allowed as an excuse for absentee voting and rules about when absentee ballots are counted vary, and many places in this country do not have easy access to polling places especially for those homcannt drive/don’t have a car.

You asked how it could be easier- Universal early voting, Saturday voting instead of a traditional workday voting, same day registration.

The number one thing they could do is follow Oregon’s model for mail-in elections. Their turnout is 25-30 points higher than the national average.
States have a right to decide their own voting rules. Same day voting. How do prevent fraud with that method??? I've never met a able bodied person that said they wanted to vote, but couldn't. If you feel that way you should take up with your state since it's a state issue. I happen to live in a state that makes voting easy. If it's not easy in your state maybe you need to vote in new people.

hereabouts we have to check every stinking ballot that comes out b/c the school districts are notorious for putting the same bonds that been previously voted down back on every subsequent ballot hoping that no one will notice except those in favor of passing it.

My ballot directed me to choose three for local school board. Yet there were only two candidates listed, both running unopposed. The third space was blank. I guess I was supposed to write someone in. I didn't bother with that part.

I missed a few elections over the past 10 years but didn't receive a nasty gram. I feel so unloved.

In my entire life I've never received an "I Voted" sticker either. It's not like I want one. I'd probably decline it if offered.

A certain candidate (who lost) send me 6 or 7 texts over the last several days urging me to vote for him.

That should NOT be the case. Prioritizing a sick family member is one thing. But many people simply can't get to voting because of their jobs. And no, your workplace shouldn't hinder you from voting.

It's very expensive to move. I highly doubt that. How are they making voting more difficult? Making people register? checking ID's?

It can be expensive to stay also. And most of the time, poor families pack up because the homes they rent will no longer be available to them. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to know that.

It's funny because I work in a hospital even the poorest of the poor I take care of have smart phones. They can't pay for a cab home, but they have an I phone. Maybe I'm a little cynical, but I think if your not capable of figuring out how to vote you probably shouldn't be voting. The only people I encounter that have trouble navigating the internet are the elderly and they're used to doing things the old fashioned way. Most of them have never missed an election.

You are correct there....and weirdly bitter and resentful of a lot of other people for some reason. Smart phones are becoming pretty necessary in life and a lot of people are actually using them as their phone and home computer...so they might be doing something financially sound. Sadly, they have to deal with judgmental people who want to criticize them for whatever they could resort to.

That should NOT be the case. Prioritizing a sick family member is one thing. But many people simply can't get to voting because of their jobs. And no, your workplace shouldn't hinder you from voting.

It can be expensive to stay also. And most of the time, poor families pack up because the homes they rent will no longer be available to them. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to know that.

You are correct there....and weirdly bitter and resentful of a lot of other people for some reason. Smart phones are becoming pretty necessary in life and a lot of people are actually using them as their phone and home computer...so they might be doing something financially sound. Sadly, they have to deal with judgmental people who want to criticize them for whatever they could resort to.
Excuse me who exactly am I bitter and resentful of? Like I said I work with a lot of people making minimum wage. They are all capable of making it to a polling place. If I was a low income person I would be insulted by the fact that you think were not capable of figuring out how to vote. There are plenty of people of all income levels that don't vote for various reasons. Probably the main was is they just don't want to and that's their right.
The debate is getting very redundant and actually kind of silly.

Last edited:
If we can access sensitive financial and personal information on our computers, why can we not vote via electronic means? There has got to be a way to make voting easier for everyone. And I am not saying do away with voting in person, just give more options. Electronic, in person, mail in, etc.

There were 40 minute plus lines all day at my polling place yesterday. A couple of precincts combined and we had a big school bond issue in addition to the Senate and House races. So the wait surprised a lot of people (myself included). All those in line with me, were good natured about it.

I tried to dart in 35 minutes early before work (in the past voting took 10 minutes tops), but it took longer than any time in the 15 years I've voted there before. Not saying 40 minutes is terribly long, I've heard worse waits. But if you want people to vote, you've got to try to find a way to make it happen. Work was accommodating to me, but I could see others having a problem with being late for work.

Absentee voting in our state has a lot of restrictions and many of us could not vote absentee.

But there has to be a better way.

I vote when I like the candidates or have an interest in the amendments. Which is rare. It happens though and I will go to the polls when it does.
But this means I don't always vote. If my decision is between a giant douche or turd sandwich, I choose neither. How is me picking one of 2 people that I wouldn't elect to run a gas station bathroom a choice? It isn't. Oh, and because I refuse to align with a specific political party because I despise partisan politics, I can't vote in primaries either. Which means I REALLY don't have a need to vote for people I wasn't allowed to have a part in selecting in the first place.

The idea that because I didn't vote in the past means I may not be able to in the future is a big reason I have zero faith in the entire voting system to begin with and anyone who sends me a letter scolding me for not voting has assured that I will never vote for them or their affiliates.

If we can access sensitive financial and personal information on our computers, why can we not vote via electronic means? There has got to be a way to make voting easier for everyone. And I am not saying do away with voting in person, just give more options. Electronic, in person, mail in, etc.

There were 40 minute plus lines all day at my polling place yesterday. A couple of precincts combined and we had a big school bond issue in addition to the Senate and House races. So the wait surprised a lot of people (myself included). All those in line with me, were good natured about it.

I tried to dart in 35 minutes early before work (in the past voting took 10 minutes tops), but it took longer than any time in the 15 years I've voted there before. Not saying 40 minutes is terribly long, I've heard worse waits. But if you want people to vote, you've got to try to find a way to make it happen. Work was accommodating to me, but I could see others having a problem with being late for work.

Absentee voting in our state has a lot of restrictions and many of us could not vote absentee.

But there has to be a better way.
Companies get hacked all the time. How many major security breaches have their been over the last few years. Too many to name. I just don't think there's a way to do it securely.

Companies get hacked all the time. How many major security breaches have their been over the last few years. Too many to name. I just don't think there's a way to do it securely.

Meh. Just because breaches could happen, does not deter people from using online methods.

The government already uses many electronic methods. For one, I do not receive an annual Social Security statement.

Saying it's too easy to breach voting records/methods is an easy cop out.

Meh. Just because breaches could happen, does not deter people from using online methods.

The government already uses many electronic methods. For one, I do not receive an annual Social Security statement.

Saying it's too easy to breach voting records/methods is an easy cop out.
You also have the risk from foreign governments. Many people cannot access company accounts from their own private computers. I can't. People that work in government and have access to classified information can't. Millions of people all voting from personal computers. I really see no way to make that secure.
Yeah and identity theft and credit card fraud is huge problem in this country. It comes with a price.

Online voting, could you imagine the accusations of hacking and collusion with foreign governments when a surprise candidate that half the people hate wins. Me either :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!