I am in shock. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

A great upgrade :thumbsup2

You might want to edit the title of your thread to include "free upgrade PPH to GCH", or something similar.
Some members skip over ambiguous titles (I often do).

So I decided to do a girls' trip to Disneyland for my 39th birthday with my two sisters, sister-in-law, and best friend...
Make sure your reservation is for 5 adults, and request a Daybed.

Make sure your reservation is for 5 adults, and request a Daybed.

All 5 of us are on the reservation for SW:GE purposes, and I believe we have a daybed on the request. Thanks for the reminder, though!

OP, how long is your trip?
We arrive at LGB Monday at noonish, and are flying out about 6:30 Friday evening. My sister and friend both work at jobs where it's easier to get weekdays off than weekends, and it was cheaper to fly off the weekends too. We bought 5-day parkhoppers from LMTClub before the price increase and will be getting MaxPass most of the days (might not bother for Monday, since we're arriving so late, or Friday, since we're leaving early). We've got matching t-shirts for one of the days (they say "Me Me Me Spoiled Princess Week" on them) and semi-matching shirts for another (same design but different colors), and also got a group Disneybound together. I'm going as Briar Rose, my sisters and friend are going as the three fairies, and my SiL is going as Maleficent. It's going to be epic.

That would be soooo cool! We only have a one night reservation at PPH, so I'm sure they will be starting with the longer stays and we'll be last on the list. But I'll be answering my phone just in case :)
Congrats!

We checked into DL Hotel years ago, during Miley Cyrus sweet 16 BD madness. They were shooting off special fireworks that night. I asked, is there a room with a view of the fireworks? (It was me and my adult son with Downs). She said, hold on a minute, and went into the back office, nd came out and said yes! Upgrade due to a suite, it had 1 1/2 bathrooms, the bedroom had double glass doors. Living room and sort of a bar type kitchenette. (this was shortly before the renovation to DL Hotel). And yes a fireworks view! They must have been holding the room but decided to release it as it was not needed. Sweet.

YES! This just happened to me! Also in shock and so excited! It’s our first DL trip! Yay for pixie dust!!!

I was hoping someone else was in the same boat! Did you make your reservation a while ago? We reserved in January. The only thing we can figure is that we got a good rate and it made sense for them to move us, even if they're losing money on what the GCH room would usually go for, and sell our room at PPH for a higher rate. Otherwise it doesn't make financial sense to give us a more expensive room.

I was hoping someone else was in the same boat! Did you make your reservation a while ago? We reserved in January. The only thing we can figure is that we got a good rate and it made sense for them to move us, even if they're losing money on what the GCH room would usually go for, and sell our room at PPH for a higher rate. Otherwise it doesn't make financial sense to give us a more expensive room.

I reserved in mid-April at the rate of $588.
Not sure what the system was or if it was random.
It’s our first stay at a DL resort so maybe they want to give pixie dust to first timers.
We’ve taken 9 WDW trips in 3 years - not sure if that gave us any pull!
Our trip is June 4-6 btw.

I was thinking maybe they know the GCH rooms will stay vacant since they’re so expensive (I just checked and it’s going for $900/night our dates!) but if they upgrade people from PPH those rooms might be snatched up.

Also we’re Disneybounding as Briar Rose and Prince Phillip (for my 6 year old son). I think we’re there the same dates so I’ll look for you!
We actually arrive June 1st and are spending 3 nights at the HOJO first.

Also we’re Disneybounding as Briar Rose and Prince Phillip (for my 6 year old son). I think we’re there the same dates so I’ll look for you!
We actually arrive June 1st and are spending 3 nights at the HOJO first.

That's so awesome! We'll be there June 3-7, and (although we haven't decided for sure) I'm guessing we'll do our Bounding on Thursday. I'll be the plus-size red-headed Briar Rose. :P I'll keep an eye out for a pint-size Phillip! Enjoy your first DLR trip—it's my happy place!

..... they are giving us a complimentary upgrade to Grand Californian premium view......

yeah for pixie dust.
So Does this mean they upgraded you from the PP Hotel to GC Hotel? or does this mean they upgraded your view from "theme-park view" at PPH to a "Grand California hotel view" at PPH ?

yeah for pixie dust.
So Does this mean they upgraded you from the PP Hotel to GC Hotel? or does this mean they upgraded your view from "theme-park view" at PPH to a "Grand California hotel view" at PPH ?

They moved us from the PPH to the GCH. We got the E-mail confirmation and it's definitely the Grand Californian. Since we had a premium/theme park view at PPH, they gave us the same room type, so still a Premium view. I'm pretty sure a theme park view at PPH would also be a GCH view, since they're in the same direction from PPH, so that wouldn't have been a change at all.

So I decided to do a girls' trip to Disneyland for my 39th birthday with my two sisters, sister-in-law, and best friend. We decided to splurge and stay onsite, so we booked a theme-park view at the Paradise Pier (about as far as our budget could stretch). We'd hoped to miss the SW:GE craziness, but unfortunately my birthday is June 4, so we're actually right in the thick of the worst if it. We were glad we booked onsite, though! And our reservations are for my birthday at 8 am! We're so excited.

Tonight, my friend (who made the hotel reservation) got a call from Disney. She almost didn't answer it, but they called twice from the same number, so she picked it up. Apparently, they have "such a high volume of people trying to come" that they are giving us a complimentary upgrade to Grand Californian premium view.

What the heck? I'm still in shock. They must have overbooked.

This is going to be the best trip EVER.
We got upgraded from PPH to GCH as well!!!! I cried on the phone when they were telling me! Only 8 more days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter