I am done. DONE. A pox on September!

Remember... Hurricane season starts June 1. July tends to be a quieter month... but it isn't a sure thing.
And the season doesn't end technically until the end of November.

On our Southern Caribbean cruise in July/Aug this summer the captain was updating us on a tropical system as well.

We are on the October 5th DVC members cruise that goes to Bermuda (and then onto Boston before returning to NY) so we are definitely keeping an eye on Jerry and any potential damage. We will be cruising no matter where DCL wants to send us! But since Bermuda just got hit I hope they will be ok after Jerry, too. I really sympathize for all the residents who have to endure one storm after another close together :(

So... those who have been on or switched to a Canadian itinerary this time of year, how would you suggest switching up the packing? Are the pools swimmable? Is the ship freezing? We’ve only ever been on warm cruises. Even our Christmas cruises were hot lol.

I know it's cliche - but pack layers. We've been on two Canadian cruises. One left Oct 2 for 5 nights, the other Oct 8 for 12 nights. The weather ranged from the 50's and rainy to the 70's and sunny, so you really don't know what to expect. There definitely were people swimming in the pools on the warmer days. I would imagine sailing in September would give a better chance of it being on the warmer side of that range, but you would still want to be prepared for cooler weather, just in case.

September 2017 we got canceled for our 7 night cruise on the Fantasy, hurricane Irma. Didn’t learn, we were just on the Fantasy for the August 31-September 7 cruise which was impacted by Dorian. While we did go, it was very tense if the cruise would happen. All went well, but as everyone knows, no castaway for us. It was my daughter and granddaughters 8th cruise, this makes twice now missing castaway. Now I’m dreading my b2b September cruises in 2020. It’s really hard when you book over a year in advance. I predict low September 2021 fares.

OMG, to have your cruise cancelled that close to leaving is horrible. I hope Disney gave you a good discount on a future cruise. I remember several years ago reading on here about the cruise following a dry dock. I don't remember which ship, I think it was either the Fantasy or Wonder. A lot of the work wasn't done and there were lots of areas that looked and sounded like construction areas. People weren't happy. I like to go on the ships after they do a lot of major changes, but thanks to the people on here we know to wait and not to book right after the dry dock is done!

I’m traveling and don’t have access to all my info, but I remember that we were offered a deal on a future cruise but it had lots of conditions. You had to go on the same itinerary with the same exact cabin occupants within a specified timeframe. The cruise was a special itinerary and was virtually impossible to find a cruise that fit their specifications. I remember if you couldn’t do the original itinerary, they gave you a smaller discount for an alternate one. But huge disappointment not to sail on the special itinerary.

Yes, I’ve always avoided the cruises after dry dock also, but the special itinerary was too hard to pass up. We figured that the worst that could happen was that they would have some finishing work done while we sailed. (As happened later when we sailed the Wonder through the Panama Canal on the last cruise before dry dock). We just never dreamed it would be cancelled.

I wish everyone well with their Fall cruises. DH and I cruised to Bermuda last October 24th and the weather was perfect. And Bermuda did not have any problem with hurricanes last year, as far as I remember.

And in October 2017 we cruised to Canada around the same time as Bermuda and the weather once again was really nice.

We had problems in late August with Hurricanes and Tropical Storms around 2010-2011. So, I think it just depends on the year.

Once again, wishing everyone smooth sailing.

I predict low September 2021 fares.
I doubt it. The fares are already pretty much as low as they get in September than most of the rest of the year. And there are always plenty of people who don't really think about hurricanes when planning a vacation, or have a high risk tolerance and just assume the odds are good that it won't happen to (like the people who fly in the same day--that would give me a panic attack but others are okay with it).

Ironically this is the one cruise where I am flying in the day before, Ive always flown in day of in the past. And this may screw me if they change the route on Tuesday. LOL

I wouldn’t hesitate to book in September for the right price. The odds are still in you favor that the cruise will go as planned. I’d rather pay less and take my chances. If it cancels you get your money back anyway. I’ve cruised 6 times during hurricane season sept/oct with no issues.

I wouldn’t hesitate to book in September for the right price. The odds are still in you favor that the cruise will go as planned. I’d rather pay less and take my chances. If it cancels you get your money back anyway. I’ve cruised 6 times during hurricane season sept/oct with no issues.
You get your money back if you've paid for good insurance to cover every part of your trip. Yes, it is a good bet for some people, particularly for those who live close to the port and don't have other major travel expenses (like flights) on top of the cruise, and for people who have flexibility with their vacation time.

So the Bermuda Government website says all cruises have been cancelled to port there this week. Carnival has 2 ships that have already changed their itinerary because of this. So still just crickets chirping from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter