I am Central California, so if you have any questions, feel fre to ask.

Uuaww

<font color=teal>Guilty of 74 counts of pumpkin pi
Basically, I am Central California on the Dis (would love some company though!) and if anyone is thinking of making the drive from LA to SF or vice versa, I can help you out along the way. So if you have any questions (food, lodging and the horror that is King City) just go ahead and ask.

Hi! Thanks for the offer! We're thinking of going there late April/early May next year driving from San Francisco to San Diego. Are there any swimming beaches you could recommend for a family? Three of us have never seen the Pacific Ocean before. I'm assuming the water will be warm enough to swim in?

if you want to swim in the ocean, you need to do it in the south. Orange County has a bunch of great beaches, but Santa Barbara is basically too cold already.

It will be "cool" on all the beaches in late April (actually all year!). San Diego is best bet - but expect to go in quick to say you have done it. Enjoy the beach other ways - walking by tide pools, watching the surfers in wet suits, beach bonfire & wonderful views - just bring your sweatshirts!

I was so happy to see your post. We will be travelling down the CA coast in the fall of 2007. Starting in SF and down to Anaheim (Disney, of course). We're (2 adults) looking for an inexpensive place to stay for 1 night in Big Sur or even south to San Simeon. Any suggestions? Any must see things or places to eat on the drive down Rt.1, besides the amazing coastline? We are planning the Montery Bay aquarium. I've never been to CA

Thank you for any suggestions.

are you sure you wanna take rt 1? yes it is more beautiful, but 101 is a lot faster, plus you will see the ocean with 101 when you hit the midway point (Pismo Beach).

Uuaww said:
are you sure you wanna take rt 1? yes it is more beautiful, but 101 is a lot faster, plus you will see the ocean with 101 when you hit the midway point (Pismo Beach).

We want to see places such as Big Sur, Cambria, Morro Bay that are on Rt 1. We're not really concerned about the time it will take vs 101.

I would definetly do Hearst Castle near San Simeon. If you like high end food - many places in Carmel before you get on the main part of the coast highway. Be sure to stop at some of the state parks along the way. Pismo Beach looks like a cool place to stop & walk the beach (on my list for next time). If you have the time the area around Solvang was very nice - we liked it better then Wine country (though like that also). If you watched Sideways you have seen it & the Hitching Post for dinner and Solvang (Dutch themed) are worth spending some time at in my opinion!

By the way I live in the San Jose area - we have been here 27 months in what is supposed to be a temporary stay (currently extended to June 07). Since it is supposed to be temp - I have tried to see as much as I can of this state, so have seen a lot in last 2 years.

If you want to stay in Big Sur/San Simeon I suggest the Ragged Point Inn. It si beautiful and though technically in San Simeon quite a bit up from Hearst Castle right at the far edge of Big Sur. It has all the views though!

Thank God I saw your post. I need help!! We will be in Ca next month and don't have a ton of time (about 10 days as of now.) We have decided to spend Thur-Sat in San Diego, move to Anaheim Sat night through Wed noon and here's where we get into trouble. We want to get up to SF but mainly want to visit Yosemite. My dh would like to hit Sequoia NP so we thought we'd fly from LA to Fresno to save time and then check out SNP for 1/2 day and drive on to Yosemite for 2 days. We still want at least one day for SF. Ugggghhhh!! I'm so confused! How would you suggest that we do this? Aren't there Sequoias in Yosemite so could we entirely skip SNP without feeling like we missed anything? Please help me-any guidance that you can give will be a great help!

If you have any questions about Fresno or Yosemite....I can try to answer. Sequoia NP is not in Yosemite...it is about an hour east of Fresno off of Hwy 180...Yosemite is north of Fresno about 2 hours to the gate with another 45 min. to the valley. If you go to the right(east) once you get into YNP you will end at Mariposa Grove which is home to our Nation's Christmas Tree..."General Grant". I would suggest going there and spending a few hours there...will only take 5-10 min. to get there from the entrance. Then you can head to the valley and see all the waterfalls and granite cliffs. Head out North on 120 and go to Modesto. Take 99 north to Stockton and then 120 to 205 to 580 into Dublin/Oakland. There you can get on 880 to the Bay Bridge. It should take about 4-5 hours from Yosemite Valley to San Francisco without stops. Have Fun

rlyrehc said:
Thank God I saw your post. I need help!! We will be in Ca next month and don't have a ton of time (about 10 days as of now.) We have decided to spend Thur-Sat in San Diego, move to Anaheim Sat night through Wed noon and here's where we get into trouble. We want to get up to SF but mainly want to visit Yosemite. My dh would like to hit Sequoia NP so we thought we'd fly from LA to Fresno to save time and then check out SNP for 1/2 day and drive on to Yosemite for 2 days. We still want at least one day for SF. Ugggghhhh!! I'm so confused! How would you suggest that we do this? Aren't there Sequoias in Yosemite so could we entirely skip SNP without feeling like we missed anything? Please help me-any guidance that you can give will be a great help!

Sounds like a fun, but crazy trip!
Depending upon a few factors, driving to Fresno may take less time than flying, frankly. Even though the flight itself is fairly short, you have to add in time to drive to the airport, check in your rental car, get to the airport w/enough time to check in and pass through security, then add in the time to get your luggage, get another rental car in Fresno, and frankly, you've spent a good chunk of time. Even if you are just at the airport the "minimum" amount of time before the flight, (1 hour), you're still looking at about 3+ hours, I think. Mapquest says it's about 3 hours 50 minutes to drive. That "jives" with what I thought, too. (I live in Minn, but grew up in CA, and I lived in So. Cal, and my Dad lived in Sacramento and my aunt and grandparents lived in Alamo, outside San Fran area.) So, might be worth it to drive it instead.
Yosemite has become pretty packed in recent years. I've heard the only way to guarantee getting in is staying in the park w/reservations. Could be that the time of year you're going will be less crowded?
Between the driving you'll be doing and Yosemite, I'm not sure I'd add another park, but I'd prefer more time in San Fran, so I might be biased! I LOVE San Fran. There is so much to see and do. From the truly tourist to the cultural. It's there! Either that, or I'd add time in the wine country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter