I’m so torn - excursion in Nassau or stay on the ship?

:rotfl2:
but I get Tim Hortons when I go to Detroit! (no Timmy's here in the midwest, I have to settle for Amazon delivery)

I feel bad throwing Detroit under the bus. That city was picked kind of at random as a fine city that isn't really much of a "must see" tourist destination. That's how I feel about Nassau. Yeah, it's there, but there's nothing memorable about it, not even a Tim Hortons! St. Thomas has Maegans Bay, St. Lucia has its beautiful volcanic mountain, etc. Nassau has Atlantis, which I feel is more grossly excessive than pretty when it is it sitting around so much poverty myself.

I feel bad throwing Detroit under the bus.

Lol, I don't mind Detroit, well the airport at least. I have to go in and out of the area for business a couple times a year. You're right on though it's a nice city but certainly not on my bucket list of places to go.

About the only thing Detroit has going for it is the Red Wings(hockey). We lived in a suburb of Detroit for a little over a year, nearly 15 yrs ago. I must say, I wasn't sad at all when we moved. The rest of Michigan is really nice.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, heaps of great advice! I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Look at resortforaday.com We did the Hilton beach day, it was nice and cheaper than the Disney excursions. We walked there, it was safe, lots of people coming off the cruise ships. They had a pool and a beach and enough money in included to buy lunch.

It really isn't worth the hassle to leave the ship, especially with a little one. Nothing you really special to see or do that you can't do on the ship, hotel pools etc. We have done both, been to Atlantis etc, I stay on the ship now. The line to get back in the port isn't that much fun plus being 'sold to' by some vendors etc. Much more relaxing to enjoy the ship, plus on a 3-4 night cruise you will have barely enough time to enjoy the ship either way.

I think a lot of people who are suggesting you stay on the ship don't really understand what 3.5 year olds are like :P. Especially ones that aren't potty trained and won't be able to go in the pools and refuse to go to the clubs. Nassau is not that scary. With my kids (2 and 4), I'd do the British Colonial Hilton like someone mentioned above - http://www.resortforaday.com/British-Colonial-Hilton-Day-pass-p/nsnabcha.htm. They have a pool and a beach, and kids under 5 are free. You'll be able to keep your 3 year old very busy and happy and she won't feel left out at not being able to go in the pool. It would be money well spent with my kids.

I think a lot of people who are suggesting you stay on the ship don't really understand what 3.5 year olds are like :P. Especially ones that aren't potty trained and won't be able to go in the pools and refuse to go to the clubs. Nassau is not that scary. With my kids (2 and 4), I'd do the British Colonial Hilton like someone mentioned above - http://www.resortforaday.com/British-Colonial-Hilton-Day-pass-p/nsnabcha.htm. They have a pool and a beach, and kids under 5 are free. You'll be able to keep your 3 year old very busy and happy and she won't feel left out at not being able to go in the pool. It would be money well spent with my kids.

Then again, if your 3.5 year old naps, staying on the ship can be a great option to rest up for a long day at Castaway Cay the next day. That's what we did and were able to spend 8 hours on Castaway Cay, while our tablemates went to Nassau the day before, said it was ok, and then spent only 2 hours on CC because they were too worn out from the day before.

I'd at least get off the ship and walk around for a bit, even if you don't officially enter Nassau thru the customs house.

I'm not a huge Nassau fan either, but I've always left the ship. You don't have to do an excursion to walk a little thru town, maybe do a little shopping. We like to take a walk to the Queen's Staircase, then up to the fort (Fincastle?) and look down on the town and the ships, then go back. As mentioned, you can get a day pass at the Hilton (currently $82 I think...includes lunch) that is an easy walk from the ship.

I love being on the ship so I would definitely stay! I was almost a little bummed after our last DCL cruise because it was so port-heavy I didn't feel like I had as much time as I would have liked on the ship. They were all great stops but if I were doing it again I would have given one up for a sea-day.

This will be our first cruise. We are going to get off at Nassau to take a photo of the sign, maybe a little shopping in the market area, and than either walk around a little more or get back on the ship and take advantage of all that the ship has to offer- mini golf, Aqua Duck, pools, character meets or whatever we want to do.

I've been interested in the replies because I've been wondering the same thing.

As I was thinking about it today, it occurred to me that I am really looking forward to the cruise and being on the ship surrounded by Disney. I haven't been saving my money and looking forward to doing something in Nassau (although unlike you, I have been there before).

Also, my cruise is five nights, so that's really only four full days on board, and I am looking forward to Key West and Castaway Cay, so even less time on the ship.

And then, I remembered that I've had some "unvacationlike" :crazy2: early times when I've had to report for a planned excursion. That, I think, has clinched it for me. I'd rather not set my alarm on vacation.

Good luck with your decision.

I would get off the ship and let the little one burn some energy. But I wouldn't bother with an excursion. We do not find Nassau scary at all, just busy.

Adding: I recommend the Pirate Museum. It is a nice walk to get there and very nice inside.

We are just off the Dream. This is our third Disney cruise to the Bahamas and the first time we got off the ship at Nassau. We did the Dolphin Swim at the Blue Lagoon. While we loved the actual dolphin excursion, if I ever sail to Nassau again I would definitely stay on the ship. There is just a lot of time spent waiting around. Waiting in the theater to exit the ship. Waiting for the ferry to arrive. The actual ferry ride which is about 40 minutes. Waiting to get off the ferry. Waiting to start the excursion. As soon as the dolphin swim was over we headed back to the ship. We couldn't wait to get back on board.

Our last time in Nassau (with 4 kids ages 5,6,9,10).....we spent the morning on the ship in quieter pools, then ventured into town after an early lunch. Most of the street vendors were gone, so there wasn't much haggling. We ventured through the straw market and my kids STILL remember the fun they had choosing a souvenir (yes, we did have to shop around and haggle on prices!). But we met some very nice people....a blind wood craftsman, a grandmother who sewed on my daughters name to a bag, and a photobomber who disagreed with our choice in NFL teams! LOL! Seriously....we are finally heading back to nassau next year and my kids want to go back to the straw market! (Yes, I realize most folks hate that place!) Of course, we want to RELAX this time....so we are heading to the Hilton Colonial for the day....and I believe you walk past the straw market on the way back to the ship!

I’m another vote for staying on the ship. Atlantis is way over priced (and over-hyped, IMHO), and the rest of Nassau is meh. I love being on the ship when it is quiet.

As for throwing Detroit under the bus, go ahead! I’m from MI and the only decent thing about Detroit anymore is the airport.

I feel bad throwing Detroit under the bus. That city was picked kind of at random as a fine city that isn't really much of a "must see" tourist destination. That's how I feel about Nassau. Yeah, it's there, but there's nothing memorable about it, not even a Tim Hortons! St. Thomas has Maegans Bay, St. Lucia has its beautiful volcanic mountain, etc. Nassau has Atlantis, which I feel is more grossly excessive than pretty when it is it sitting around so much poverty myself.

Is Tim Hortons memorable? Because I go pretty much every single day of my life. Had I known I would have taken pictures! :rotfl2:

Lol, I don't mind Detroit, well the airport at least. I have to go in and out of the area for business a couple times a year. You're right on though it's a nice city but certainly not on my bucket list of places to go.

Does Detroit Airport still have that "musical corridor" with the light show ?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter