I’m so torn - excursion in Nassau or stay on the ship?

Jadeey

Mouseketeer
I know this really comes down to personal preference, but I’m really torn so thought I would ask for recommendations.

This will be our first cruise - myself, my husband and our 3.5 year old. Our 3.5 year old is very shy so she won’t be interested in the kids club other than the open house sessions when we can be with her. It also doesn’t seem like she will be fully potty trained by then because she’s having some issues in that area so pools will be out. (A real pity because she adores the water) We are on a 4 night Merrytime cruise at the beginning of December.

We are torn about whether we should get off the ship and do an excursion in Nassau or if we should stay on the ship. We’ve never been to Nassau so I feel like we should at least do a short excursion, but I hear so many people saying it’s not a very nice place to visit and staying on the ship is better.

If we do get off what excursion would you recommend for a 3.5 year old?

Oh gosh... Your little guy is small, so staying on the ship is great. Atlantis has a great little water area for kids that he would just love. We stopped getting off the ship long ago, but we have been there many times.

OK, I am editing my post. If I were you, I would stay on the ship. There is so much for him to do water-wise. No sense dragging him to the waterpark, and it is expensive.

Just my opinion on what I would do if I were you. BUT again, I have been there many many times.

I would try to find something to do on the island even if it means a little shopping. Do your research ahead of time but this way at least you can say you were in Nassau and cross it off your list.

There are hotels in Nassau that will let you get a day pass, I would do that. Go Use their beach and/or pool, your DD will love it. I think it’ll be hard to keep a 3 year old busy on the ship without being able to use the pools or the kids clubs.

Also, keep in mind December is a long time from now. You might have success with potty training by then.

I vote for going to Atlantis. There are several different things offered there. You can tour the aquarium, or do the beach, or the pools and slides. We have just toured the aquarium and my children loved it. If you choose to do their water park, you can get a room at a local hotel, (the name is escaping me, i believe its a choice hotel) and they give you wristbands for Atlantis for usually cheaper than buying direct.

I would do something. We snorkeled last trip but my sons were in their teens.

Our first trip to a Nassau was after a hurricane, so CC was canceled and they were cleaning up Nassau.

Thousands of people visit the Nassau every year and have fun. I am sure you can find some adventure for a few hours. Good luck.

I would stay on the ship. I have been to Nassau a few times and was never wowed. I view it as the Detroit of the Bahamas. It has some nice enough parts to it, but most people would rather be elsewhere. When spending so much on the cruise, why not enjoy all that the ship has to offer while it is only half full?

Last edited:
We did our first Disney cruise 3 years ago, when our son was the same age as your daughter. We did the dolphin shallow water excursion to Atlantis. He *loved* it. He still asks when we're going swimming with dolphins again.

We were all set to do an excursion but when I opened the port adventures pages and read each one, it was all either really really expensive or looked not very nice. We really enjoyed the shop a lot that day, and our dinner tablemates who did an excursion had to skip dinner because they were worn out from being in the heat all day, so I felt we definitely made the right call for us.

I would do an excursion. On port days, there isn’t a lot of programming so if your child can’t go to the kids club or the pool, there won’t be much for you to do. I would check out what is offered at Atlantis or look into a hotel day pass.

I would stay on the ship. It is quiet and we had the pool to ourselves.Your child will love it.

My son was about the same age when we were in Nassau. We walked to the Pirate Museum and once done spent the rest of the day at the Hilton which happened to be right across the street. I got day passes ahead of time for the Hilton which included a food voucher. Nice beach and pool and a very easy walk from ship.

I would not venture off on the island alone without an excursion. It’s not that safe of an island. We did a chocolate making factory and my daughter loved It. You come home with your own candy bar that you made yourself. Plus other little goodies. It was a lot of fun. I’m not sure what the age restriction is, but definitely look into it. My second choice would be to stay on the ship.
Edit: your child is too young for the chocolate factory. But he is old enough for the glass bottom boat or the semi-sub. We’ve done the semi-sub with our then-3 year old and she loved seeing all the fishes and turtles swim by.

Last edited:
We went to Blue Lagoon when in Nassau. Very calm waters so good for little ones and you can watch (or participate) in Dolphin encounter.

I’ve wandered there, I’ve done the hocolate factory excursion, and I’ve stayed on the ship.

I like the ship.

The factory was nice, but not with a tiny child. Now if your family loves chocolate maybe send an adult there in a taxi to pick up a bunch in their store, but wait for the factory tour until your child is 8 or so IMO.

And while I didn’t feel unsafe wandering, it just wasn’t pleasant. It’s hot and once you’re past the city hall area the sidewalks sort of disappeared and the street signs do, too. Made it harder than I want a vacation to be.

You could get off of the ship and just walk between the other ships in port, without ever leaving the secure port area.

we just completed a 5 night cruise on the Dream. we stayed on the ship for Nassau day. it was our first time on the ship and we found plenty to do just wandering the ship, hanging out on the top deck, and watching a movie. we hadn't made any firm plans either way and just decided that day to stay on the ship.

We haven't sailed to Nassau to give advice about it, but we stayed on the Fantasy when we sailed to Jamaica. Although your dd may not be able to go in the pools, she will be able to go in Nemo's Reef, the splash area for lil ones who aren't potty trained. We tried to do the mini golf on a sea day and it was so windy, I felt like I was going to be flown over board. We did it on our Jamaica day and it was very nice, hardly anyone else was up there, same with the pool areas. Your dh and you could take turns with one of you watching your dd at Nemo's Reef while the other enjoys some quiet time at the adults only pool or rides the Aquaduck with no line . Your cruise will go by really fast, I personally would stay on board, enjoy the ship and in a few years when your dd is a little older go on shore then. There are more port excursion options as your children get older. Plus, if your dd still naps, it's a lot easier to get back to your cabin if she starts getting fussy than if you're stuck somewhere on an excursion. I never thought I'd skip a new port to stay on the ship, but I really enjoyed it and don't regret it at all.

I would do whatever it takes to get your child potty trained and stay on the ship to use the pools. My second choice would be to get a Day Pass at one of the resorts so you can enjoy the pools/beach. This is your vacation, too. If you stay on the ship, maybe you and your husband can split up the day...you take your daughter during one half and he the other part so that you can each do something YOU each want to do for a bit of relaxation. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter