I’m so sad but also a little angry

mellowyellowuk

Earning My Ears
So I’m slowly coming to the realisation that Florida won’t be happening at the end of September and I’m going to have to cancel, to attempt to claw back some of the money this is a decision I need to make by middle of July.

It is not because the flights aren’t operating, because Disney isn’t open or even cause I’m not happy to wear a mask and socially distance (I’ve lived in surgical and ffp masks since beginning of March I’m a mask pro😂) but because even if I could get agreement from work for unpaid leave to quarantine on return (which financially I could manage).

Working frontline Nhs I can’t morally and with any conscience leave the ED I work in short staffed for the two extra weeks in what could be the middle of second wave.

Now because this will be me cancelling rather than the airline or hotel. Depending on how I’ve read the terms and conditions I stand to loose either over £300, nearly £2000 or at worst all which is nearly £4000.

I have travel insurance but again because it is me choosing not to travel I can not claim on it, although Aer Lingus are offering to change flights if you choose not to fly the soonest I’ll be able to go is next September so flights are not released yet so also not an option.

This I have accepted.

What is making it so much harder to swallow is it seem one rule for the masses (and people with a conscience) and another altogether for the people with power, influence and money.

Thats tough, and I know nothing beats the world, but have you thought about DLP as an alternative?

Thats tough, and I know nothing beats the world, but have you thought about DLP as an alternative?
Hummm
I’d still hit the same problem with the 2 week quarantine although I suppose I could go for a long weekend at the start of my annual leave then use the rest of it to quarantine.
It also depends on how much money I manage to get back as I have no extra, and the rumours that Paris will not open till next year not being true.

Have you spoken to your travel insurers you never know. They might take pity on you.

Also do you have to make your Air Lingus amended booking or will they give you a voucher that would work next summer?

The certain case you refer to I think most of the country thinks is indefensible.

Hummm
I’d still hit the same problem with the 2 week quarantine although I suppose I could go for a long weekend at the start of my annual leave then use the rest of it to quarantine.
It also depends on how much money I manage to get back as I have no extra, and the rumours that Paris will not open till next year not being true.

Ah I didn't know of the quarantine requirements for that region. I think DLP will be open this year.

Have you spoken to your travel insurers you never know. They might take pity on you.

Also do you have to make your Air Lingus amended booking or will they give you a voucher that would work next summer?

The certain case you refer to I think most of the country thinks is indefensible.
Aer Lingus is at the moment only offering vouchers for travel up till 30 June and amendments for travel till 30 September. I’ve booked to travel business class as a treat to myself for the Orlando leg of the flights so I think I can cancel and only loose 15% But not sure if that only 15%of the longhall section. The hotel and tickets are booked and payed for with WDW Uk so from reading that I cancel up to 58 days before and only loose it deposit.

It’s not even so much the money I still have a job I’m lucky enough to still be ok for money but that this was the only thing I had to look forward to in what is turning out to be a hugely challenging year work wise.

So I’m slowly coming to the realisation that Florida won’t be happening at the end of September and I’m going to have to cancel, to attempt to claw back some of the money this is a decision I need to make by middle of July.

It is not because the flights aren’t operating, because Disney isn’t open or even cause I’m not happy to wear a mask and socially distance (I’ve lived in surgical and ffp masks since beginning of March I’m a mask pro😂) but because even if I could get agreement from work for unpaid leave to quarantine on return (which financially I could manage).

Working frontline Nhs I can’t morally and with any conscience leave the ED I work in short staffed for the two extra weeks in what could be the middle of second wave.

Now because this will be me cancelling rather than the airline or hotel. Depending on how I’ve read the terms and conditions I stand to loose either over £300, nearly £2000 or at worst all which is nearly £4000.

I have travel insurance but again because it is me choosing not to travel I can not claim on it, although Aer Lingus are offering to change flights if you choose not to fly the soonest I’ll be able to go is next September so flights are not released yet so also not an option.

This I have accepted.

What is making it so much harder to swallow is it seem one rule for the masses (and people with a conscience) and another altogether for the people with power, influence and money.
I think we are all feeling disappointed with today’s news. I am still shaking my head in disbelief. This and the physical and emotional tiredness from your work must be hard to deal with.

A lot could change by the middle of July, the FCO advisory may change, the quarantine orders may be abolished (perhaps even before it begins) or maybe your flights will be cancelled by the airline. There is no rush to make decisions now, so try to compartmentalise it and put the decision making to one side, at least until early July. You have nothing to lose by waiting.
Thank you for everything that you are doing for us. 🙏 Sending hugs.

From what I understand about the quarantine rules, medical professionals should be exempt from the rules. I don't know exactly who would qualify as a medical professional, and under what circumstances, but it may be worth looking into.

Right now, since the government is recommending against all but essential travel, most people wouldn't be able to travel because insurance policies wouldn't cover them. Under my insurance policy at least, this is a valid reason to cancel and get a refund from my insurance company.

Of course, all of this is likely to change by September anyway - who knows what the rules will look like by then. I've got a holiday booked for WDW in September as well - right now I'm hopeful I may be able to get there, but also very much aware that it may not happen.

As a fellow healthcare worker, I have to say, please don't put work ahead of your life
Your ED family will be fine. They'll call in a float worker and get through it. Your hospital would drop you like a bad habit the second they decide you were too expensive to keep. Healthcare workers give so much of their lives as it is, please don't feel guilty about taking your own time off. Mentally and physically your body needs it and you deserve it.

As a fellow healthcare worker, I have to say, please don't put work ahead of your life
Your ED family will be fine. They'll call in a float worker and get through it. Your hospital would drop you like a bad habit the second they decide you were too expensive to keep. Healthcare workers give so much of their lives as it is, please don't feel guilty about taking your own time off. Mentally and physically your body needs it and you deserve it.
Whilst that is true I can understand not wanting to take what would in effect be a months holiday if you had to isolate for 2 weeks once home.

Absolutely take a break from work, even if just staying at home. I dread to think about how stressful and mentally challenging this has been for all those working in healthcare.

The Spanish Government have just announced that their two week quarantine period for arriving travellers will be removed from the 1st July. I think the UK requirements will be lifted not long after that.
One other element, however, is when will we be allowed to enter the US?

ford family

I'd hang on it's nearly 4 months till you go & if figures continue to drop it then air bridges with different countries become more likely, where there is an agreement that quarantine isn't needed. There also maybe a vaccine by then which we should know about in a few more weeks, my guess would be healthcare workers would be vaccinated first. If things stay as they are then you would be able to get a refund as the US is not permitting travel from the UK.

They are not planning a quarantine for the channel tunnel. Deliveries etc need to come through. DLP is not the same but maybe worth it if you can get money back?
I guess it's your point though about people roughly following the rules for their own benefit vs what's morally ok and minimising risk. I would prefer my carer to have not come back from a foreign theme park the day before I saw them. But 7 days previously I think is no more risky than other advice that has been given by our gov at points. (MIL came out of hospital 7 days after last fever, people isolating with a family member who has symptoms have 14 days - 1st 7 to catch it and next 7 to show it). They picked and chose even aside from driving 260 miles with symptoms

I feel you. We are on our third fortnight of isolation (plus a couple of weeks when I was alone with the kids, so still couldn't go to a supermarket as my son would be touching everything and putting his hands in his mouth), this time so that we can feel comfortable going to a relatives funeral (10 people permitted still, the day after they are pretending it's sensible to open schools to larger groups than that) whilst the builders on our street have been working throughout with no distancing - I'm confident they're not from the same household.

Aer Lingus is at the moment only offering vouchers for travel up till 30 June and amendments for travel till 30 September. I’ve booked to travel business class as a treat to myself for the Orlando leg of the flights so I think I can cancel and only loose 15% But not sure if that only 15%of the longhall section. The hotel and tickets are booked and payed for with WDW Uk so from reading that I cancel up to 58 days before and only loose it deposit.

It’s not even so much the money I still have a job I’m lucky enough to still be ok for money but that this was the only thing I had to look forward to in what is turning out to be a hugely challenging year work wise.
In terms of the AL flight, I’m presuming you’ve booked business class involving a domestic flight into Dublin first? As long as this is one ‘booking’ and a through flight to Orlando you should have the domestic ‘element’ refunded too. I’m not sure the 15% applies to the taxes, which you should also get back. I’d sit tight on the flights as you can cancel any point up to departure and AL may introduce the voucher scheme for flights after 30 June, in the meantime. We’re in the same boat with flights, although we fly late July with AL business class.

The hotel and tickets are booked and payed for with WDW Uk so from reading that I cancel up to 58 days before and only loose it deposit.

I'm in a very similar boat to you with an October trip and my reading of the Ts&Cs is a bit different...

Section 12 deals with cancellations which basically says cancelling anything over a week away will incur a cancellation charge of £50pp, and no refunds.

So from that I drew the conclusion that the safest time to cancel is slightly before your remainder is due, to stop you losing it all. Because if you pay up, then don't travel because you're (insurance buzzword alert!) disinclined to, you've lost it all and your insurance won't pay out.

Ts&Cs said:
If ... your Booking Group cancel, no allowance or refund will be made for any part of your Booking not used or taken, nor can any refund be made for lost, mislaid or destroyed tickets or Hotel and/or ticket vouchers.

To be honest I hope I'm wrong about the cancellation refund bit, because the wording is so dense, but I don't want to ring Disney myself yet as I imagine they'll still be very busy and the deposit isn't due until the end of July for me.

Last edited:
I'm in a very similar boat to you with an October trip and my reading of the Ts&Cs is a bit different...

Section 11 deals with cancellations which basically says cancelling anything over a week away will incur a cancellation charge of £50pp, and no refunds.

So from that I drew the conclusion that the safest time to cancel is slightly before your remainder is due, to stop you losing it all. Because if you pay up, then don't travel because you're (insurance buzzword alert!) disinclined to, you've lost it all and your insurance won't pay out.

To be honest I hope I'm wrong about the cancellation refund bit, because the wording is so dense, but I don't want to ring Disney myself yet as I imagine they'll still be very busy and the deposit isn't due until the end of July for me.
I think you’ll find it’s not a standard ticket involved here.

They are not planning a quarantine for the channel tunnel. Deliveries etc need to come through. DLP is not the same but maybe worth it if you can get money back?
I guess it's your point though about people roughly following the rules for their own benefit vs what's morally ok and minimising risk. I would prefer my carer to have not come back from a foreign theme park the day before I saw them. But 7 days previously I think is no more risky than other advice that has been given by our gov at points. (MIL came out of hospital 7 days after last fever, people isolating with a family member who has symptoms have 14 days - 1st 7 to catch it and next 7 to show it). They picked and chose even aside from driving 260 miles with symptoms

I feel you. We are on our third fortnight of isolation (plus a couple of weeks when I was alone with the kids, so still couldn't go to a supermarket as my son would be touching everything and putting his hands in his mouth), this time so that we can feel comfortable going to a relatives funeral (10 people permitted still, the day after they are pretending it's sensible to open schools to larger groups than that) whilst the builders on our street have been working throughout with no distancing - I'm confident they're not from the same household.
Kate I think you are wrong re quarantine via the tunnel. They are excerptions For lorry drivers etc but holiday makers will be hit. Even if you drive you will put your car on a train.

This I have accepted.

Same for me as a teacher I was supposed to go late August but we are being forced back to work during our unpaid time. I'd love to go in October but no way can i have two weeks off work when i come back.

It is what it is in unique circumstances we have to go above and beyond. I keep reminding myself what my parents and grandparents went through during WWII to put my feelings into perspective. WDW will still be there next year and the year after.

Don't you have a quarentine clause in your travel insurance. Mine does it is a legitimate cancellation reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!