Husband recently passed away.

Cherry, I completely respect your decision to stay somewhere quiet on NYE. It was a really touch choice for us too. In the end we have opted to go to Epcot, but only because our tradition is either MK or The Studios, so this is different. It is also the place where my DS Simon and his partner Tam met while working for Disney, so we will try to focus on that. Like you though we don't know whether we have made the correct choice, and would prefer some quiet family time. I guess we won't know until we're there.

It is a hard decision to make about going and when to go, but I know that when Carol and her daughters went on the cruise that Tom and I were there for them.....their family as well and we had some smiles, a few tears, but most of all made some wonderful memories.. I will treasure these memories......

I am not sure what I will feel or if I have to feel, I hate even thinking that, about our favorite place, WDW, without Tom. We bought DVC last year and we were going for it, living the dream, and just enjoying his retirement and his feeling well. Now, we start again, but we are going in December and hopefully he will feel well enough to enjoy some things and know enough to come back to the room and rest when he needs it...

Sometimes as you know you need to take life minute by minute. Sometimes you take one step forward and two steps back.

It also seemed for me and other friends who were widows it wasn't "that" day that was the hardest but several days later when you let your guard down. That is when it hit me that my husband wasn't there anymore.

Safetymom, I think I know what you mean about it not being "that day" but several days later. I have told a lot of my friends that it's not the big things that get me, but the little ones. I can get myself geared up to handle my first birthday without him, the family reunion that he's not there for, things like that. They are tough, but I get myself ready for it ahead, and it's okay. What I have trouble with are the little things that just pop up -- a man who looks like him in the distance, a couple our age walking into the store holding hands -- even watching a silly Adam Sandler movie and hearing a song about growing old together, those are the things that catch me by surprise, and set me off for a little while.

This board helps a lot, just having some place to talk about it with people who are going through the same thing.

HUgs Cherry......I hear ya... we are here for you.. Just to listen, send hugs or whatever you need from the Dis family... we are here.

Cherry, I agree with Mackey. Talk away, it real does help. I still have those moments and it has been 12 years for me.

I know I am going to have a lot of those moments when my daughter delivers her first baby next month. My late husband would be so thrilled to be a grandfather. This will be our first grandchild. I will be thrilled and sad at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter