Husband has bad leg

thumper1975

Earning My Ears
My husbands right leg is fused at the knee. I would like information on what rides we will be able to get on. This is his first experience at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and I want it to be a good experience for him. I can't see standing in lines, if, by the time we get to the end we can't get on. I would greatly appreciate any info you can give me.

I guess it might be easier to tell me what rides we can't get on.

Thanks

Really he would be the only one to decide what he can and cannot ride. It would depend on how much he can bend the knee if any. Some rides he might be able to ride alone and put his leg at an angle across the seat. Some like Small World he might be able to ride on the handicapped boat in the second seat and have to leg in the aisle. He is really the best judge of what would work. Many will require a very bent knee.

I know one he can't- Space Mountain. OOPS, sorry Grandma. My Grandma has had both knees replaced and consequently has limited flexion. It was a combination of both how low the seat was and how much flexion was required. Anyway she got in and got out but vowed never to do it again(not because of the ride itself though) and we were much more careful about checking that sort of thing out the rest of the trip. We didn't do TOT with her more on general principle or RNRC. She also skipped Splash Mountain because we weren't sure but it probably would have been okay. She rode everything at Epcot except Mission Space but not of the rest of us bothered with that one either and everything at Animal Kingdom.

The important distinction though is that she does have some range of motion in both knees. She turns 76 tomorrow, her first ever trip to the World was in Dec 04, and she's going back with us in June. She was vacillating on going due to cost because she doesn't want me paying for everything so I haven't told her yet that I bought the airline tickets 3 weeks ago. I figure Mom will tell her eventually. LOL Her name is on the Dec trip ressies too but I learned my lesson and will display a little more patience before buying the tickets this time because I could have saved over $200 by flying Airtran.

I don't have time right now to post much, but if you go to the FAQs near the top of this board, look for a link to a past thread about boarding rides.
That will help you out some. Also, allearsnet.com has some ride car pictures that might be helpful. I'll find a link and post it tonight.

thumper1975 said:
My husbands right leg is fused at the knee. I would like information on what rides we will be able to get on. This is his first experience at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and I want it to be a good experience for him. I can't see standing in lines, if, by the time we get to the end we can't get on. I would greatly appreciate any info you can give me.

I guess it might be easier to tell me what rides we can't get on.

Thanks

I have arthritis and limited motion in both my knees. I'm also a short person (4'10") so your husband's height may mae the experience slightly different than mine.

But in my experience, I am able to handle these rides comfortably:
MAGIC KINGDOM
Pirates of the Caribbean (front row, can spread out legs)
It's a Small World (front row, or ride a borrowed wheelchair for the w/c boat)
Stitch's Great Escape (back row)
Haunted Mansion (sit sideways a little)
Jungle Boat (all seats fine)
Train (sit in car behind conductor for most leg room)

EPCOT
The Land (w/c boat)
Energy Pavilion
Body Wars (like all flight simulators, the front row has the best leg room)
Mexico (w/c boat)
Norway (front row like Pirates)
Spaceship Earth (difficult but side sideways and hold on. Goes up at 45 degree angle and you can feel like you're popping out of your seat.)

ANIMAL KINGDOM
Dinosaur (back two rows have leg room)
Kali River Rapids (any seat, sit sideways a little, very slippery boarding)
Safari Ride (right behind the driver)

MGM
Star Tours (flight simulator, front row)

I have avoided all these due to cramped leg room and fear of jamming my knees: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain. I just avoid Mission:Space and Test Track due to the intensity of the ride.

All shows are comfortable. Beware of steep steps, moving boarding zones or slippery areas. When in doubt boarding, ask the ride operator to pause the ride so your husband can safely board and dismount. Nothing worse than losing your footing in a moving ride.

Have fun!
J:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter