• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Husband and joint pain

Bouncy Bumble

Earning My Ears
My husband (34) has steroid-induced osteoporosis. The medicine he is on for either the original disease or the osteoporosis is causing him to have unbelievable joint pain. There are times this wonderful, strong man is just doubled over from pain in his hips, knees and ankles.

Even though he looks young, fit and trim, he isn't. I've been trying to convince him that we should rent an ECV for him while in WDW (leaving in 2 days), but he doesn't want to "be a wimp". He was only diagnosed with the osteoporosis a month ago, and has understandably had some emotional issues accepting it.

Any advice on what I can tell him? I don't want his vacation ruined by his pain. (BTW, it's not a budget thing, either).

Bouncy Bumble said:
Any advice on what I can tell him? I don't want his vacation ruined by his pain. (BTW, it's not a budget thing, either).

Remember it is not just HIS vacation. You will be distressed to see him struggling and in pain. He doesn't mind people watching him struggle and think too bad that guy doesn't know aboit renting an ECV? But he doesn't want people to think he's a wimp? :confused3
I know it is hard to accept limitations but the ECV will give him freedom and independence. BTW I'm the one who goes ahead to get the next fastpass because I'm quicker in my ECV. :moped:
Renting an ECV from an off-site vendor gives him 24/7 freedom. It is great around the resorts, the water parks and Downtown Disney.
I don't think people realize how much walking you do at WDW.
What has his MD said about it? I'm sure if he should fall it would not be good.
Having everyone enjoy your vacation is what's important.

Besides the good advice you got so far, think of a place that is about 3 miles away from your home. Ask if he could walk there. And back.
I've seen estimates that the average person walks between 3 and 9 miles a day at WDW. Just the distance around World Showcase is about 1.3 miles. Thinking about it that way might help him see that he really won't be able to walk around WDW.

Bouncy Bumble said:
Please ask him the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Cheshire Figment,
I'm so often tempted to copy and paste your excellent post. I would of course footnote it. :goodvibes

Nanajo1 said:
Cheshire Figment,
I'm so often tempted to copy and paste your excellent post. I would of course footnote it. :goodvibes
Go ahead. I have it saved in NotePad and post it any time I feel it is necessary. I tend to use it for people who have need of it and probably have not seen it before.

Now, about the royalties.... :confused3 :stir: :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter