Humidity

michboro

DIS Veteran
Well, I bought the Canon SD400, and I really liked the camera, but when I was using it at my son's indoor swimming party, all of a sudden the screen went black. I don't know if it was because there was too much humidity (it was pretty warm inside), but I don't think this should have happened. After a few minutes the camera started working again. Has anyone had this problem? Is this something to be expected with humidity?

I'd say the answer is probably "sort of". The most likely culprit would be moisture in the form of condensation. If there was a definite temperature difference between the pool area and the area where your camera had been before you turned it on (i.e. Cool out-of-doors), then the second you pulled it out and started firing condenstation would have started developing inside of your camera. The best way to aviod this is to put the camera in a Ziplock bag and allow it to "warm up" inside before pulling it out. What way any condensation develops on the outside of the bag.

I had been using the camera for a little while by the indoor pool and it was working okay. But then suddenly after I turned it on one time and tried to take pictures the screen was blank. Pictures were viewable however on the lcd screen in the view mode only. If it was due to temperature change, shouldn't it have happened when I first went in to pool area to take pictures?
Thanks for advice.

Perhaps, but the condensation would continue to build over several minutes until it "warmed up" enough to allow it to start evaporating. You may be right that the environment had a relative humidity that exceeded the maker's design specs, but I know that taking a cool/cold camera into a warm/humid indoor pool area can give you fits.

The camera was not really in a cold environment before I used it. Do you think it would still help if I would keep camera in a plastic baggie before using in this type of situation?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, the bag would only help only if there was enough temp difference between the camera and the pool area to trigger condensation. If the problem is due to the ambient humidity in the pool area, your only option (if the problem persists) would be to get a camera that offered better environmental sealing.

I have actually read (and done) to put those little desicant paks inside your camera bag - You know, those little white bags filled with bead like things - They come packed when you buy a new product - like electronics, shoes
boxes, etc - Hope I am explaining it oK - So far, it has worked for me -

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter