HS strategy now that everything is tier 1

60+5 (Wed 9-11), I believe I could have gotten Slinky earliest noon, but I'm planning to sleep in that morning from the MNSSHP Tuesday night. Got it for 2:25 (with T2 throw aways for earlier). Hoping to snag some T1's after slinky later in the day. Only would be my then-Wife and I, so refreshing for 2 maybe easier to find T1's after 3.

Last edited:
For those going in early Sept who've booked their FP+, has having all the headliners in Tier 1 made SDD any easier to get?

No. I’m going the first week of September. At 60+4, 2 people, the earliest for SDD was 2:50. We’re planning on hitting EEMH and not staying that late in the afternoon so we passed on that.

my wife keeps saying let's plan for our February trip I keep saying there's no point until Galaxy's Edge opens and then Epcot is going to be under construction my plan has always been the same after 40 years at Disney wake up early rope drop never go on extra magic hour days and head to the left

I'm hoping to hit GE first thing then head for TSL so I may get Tot for my first fp. (EEMH). My DH really loves SW and he will have his sister in tow, and this is pretty much her one and only trip so I want her to see what she wants. Do you think GE first then TSL, or TSL then GE? I think the best chance is do GE first. I can get them SDD and get me a ToT, lol. I don't much care for roller coasters. Is there anything special about this one? I did not ride it last trip, but the others did. However, they like thrill rides and I am more about the experience. ToT has the whole back story, the decor, etc while SDD looks to be the Barnstormer on steroids.

ETA: I don't like SDMT either.

I'm hoping to hit GE first thing then head for TSL so I may get Tot for my first fp. (EEMH). My DH really loves SW and he will have his sister in tow, and this is pretty much her one and only trip so I want her to see what she wants. Do you think GE first then TSL, or TSL then GE? I think the best chance is do GE first. I can get them SDD and get me a ToT, lol. I don't much care for roller coasters. Is there anything special about this one? I did not ride it last trip, but the others did. However, they like thrill rides and I am more about the experience. ToT has the whole back story, the decor, etc while SDD looks to be the Barnstormer on steroids.

ETA: I don't like SDMT either.
I am guessing TSL first because I *think* it will be dead at 6 AM while SWGE will have a rush of rope droppers hit Smugglers and then probably cool down for a little before ticking back up an hour after EMH park open. That’s been the pattern for Smugglers at DL. So I think you’ll be in line less in total if you hit TSL first but I’d try to be in SWGE by 7.

Spent tonight looking at this and ended up deciding on 4 entries to HS in a 7 day trip. Absolute insanity I know. One, is a EEMH for SW:GE only. Leave, go back to room, sleep for the Halloween Party that night (booking FPs in MK: so no HS FP’s). And then again the next night - for Fantasmic after dinner at Disney Springs (we’ll be going to Epcot this day- I will attempt a same day FP when done in Epcot if there’s a decent time, if not, maybe just FP Fantasmic so we get a better spot). Then again the next day, I’m going to book one FP only for around 2pm (resort day) and we’ll duck into HS before dinner and Epcot Forever. And then finally, 2 days later where we’ll make more of a day of it and i’ll aim for SDD, Star Tours & Little Mermaid & then see what I can get before dinner at California Grill.

It’s so much bouncing around, and seems excessive for a park that’s still unfinished. But I think the best strategy is “chunks” and not a set day.

My strategy was to write Guest Relations and CC Kalogridis and Macphee. It's essentially ONE FP for EP, AK, and DHS now.

My strategy was to write Guest Relations and CC Kalogridis and Macphee. It's essentially ONE FP for EP, AK, and DHS now.

I definitely agree with this about Epcot and Hollywood Studios, but how is this the case for AK? The only tier is the 2 Pandora rides, but you still have a lot of other good attractions to choose from (Everest, Safari, etc.). Please don’t tell me they’ve changed Animal Kingdom!

Why is it only one FP for Epcot and Animal Kingdom? I always use all three when I go to those parks even with the tiers there's plenty of tier 2 that I want to ride. I don't like how Hollywood Studios is changing to this, it makes FP there pretty useless.

Go
Why is it only one FP for Epcot and Animal Kingdom? I always use all three when I go to those parks even with the tiers there's plenty of tier 2 that I want to ride. I don't like how Hollywood Studios is changing to this, it makes FP there pretty useless.
[Quote/]Good point! It’s toonealry for my brain lol

I think our plan is to be there for the 6am EMH and RD ToT and RnR, then head over to SWGE. We have a FP for SDD for late morning, Star Tours for early afternoon, and the Little Mermaid show just after 9am that we're not using.

This could all change based on reports from others after it opens, though.

Ugh. Tomorrow (7/17) is my FP day. I think my best strategy is going to be RD Tot/RnR, and head over to GE. I'm planning on grabbing FP for a show or dance party, Star Tours, and hoping that I'm far enough out that I can grab SDD before evening. If I can't I'll probably grab TSM. (Depends on what the rest of my party wants to do). How early are the earliest FP that one can book?

I’m getting prepared for my fp picks. Our strategy is 6 am arrival. My thought is to go straight to TSL and do that first if I’m able to secure a GE VQ. Is there definitely going to be a VQ for GE or is that just a supposition? Next question: my favorite ride is ToT. Would you go for SDD or ToT? I would like to get my 3 FPS out of the way ASAP and go for more. Do you think ToT would be easier to get for later in the afternoon? We will be an adult party if 3. Thanks!

Always try to grab a Toy Story ride for your tier one. TOT should have availability as a fourth FP on most days, unless some of the elevators aren`t working. We were able to get both TOT and RnR as a fourth FP last October, even when picking a FP in the afternoon at one of the in-park kiosks (yes, some people actually use those).

Yes, we got ToT for our 4th last year also, but I wasn't sure with the new tiering system. ToT is my favorite.
Thank you!

Our FP day was yesterday. We moved our DHS day to our 8th day in the trip (60+8) and we were able to get SDD FP for 6 people in the morning! Our original plan was to go on our 3rd day and we wouldn't have been able to get SDD FP that early in the trip, so I am glad it worked out and we moved it. The other 2 FP's are shows, which really stinks. I feel like it is a waste of a FP. Hopefully the other tier 1 rides won't have huge stand-by waits and/or they will be available for 4th FP after we use our first 3.

Always try to grab a Toy Story ride for your tier one. TOT should have availability as a fourth FP on most days, unless some of the elevators aren`t working. We were able to get both TOT and RnR as a fourth FP last October, even when picking a FP in the afternoon at one of the in-park kiosks (yes, some people actually use those).
I’m not sure how much ToT availability one will find with the refurb. They aren’t running all the elevators. They’re going fast. Here now. I know it’s crazy busy in July. We shall see what the fall brings.

I think the goal is to get physical bodies waiting in line as a way of crowd control. I will be there in late September and I’m definitely not happy about the change, but I do see why they did it.

That is incorrect though. They elminated your ability to get 3 actual rides for instead 2 rides and a show. Someone else will get your 1 ride that would have not had a FP+ at all.

So the net people waiting in line is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter