HS or MK for arrival day?

CSB11743

Earning My Ears
Hi All,
This is my first post here. I'm planning our first trip to WDW November 11-17. I have 9,8 & twin 6yolds- ALL BOYS. We are scheduled to go to HS on arrival day (probably around 1pm) and then hit it again for a full day during our trip. We are scheduled for MK 2 days, EP 1, AK 1.
THE FACTS:
-up at 4AM to catch our flight- will we actually make it to 9pm HS close ??
- HS just changed almost all of their FP rides to tier one. Lots of waiting and not much payoff with cool rides.
- All boys so the shows aren't really as appealing to them.
THE QUESTION:
IS 1.5 days in HS too much with all these changes? ESP if it's on the most crowded day (Veterans Day) of our trip?
Was thinking of switching to MK, using my 3 fast passes, and doing whatever else we can but not having to "fit it all in" since we have 2 more days there? AND it closes at 6pm so no need to push it for fireworks.

THOUGHTS?

Well it's your first trip so you have no idea how your kids will do but you know them best. If I was up that early, I could probably make it till 9pm but I might be crabby as would my kids, ages 12/11. If you think pushing everyone until close will be rough, maybe skip the parks this day and do disney springs instead to eat and walk around a little. Not sure where you are from but you could also use this time to swim. My kids sometimes swim in November but it's too chilly for us but we're southerners.

If you decide to do a park, I would not dedicate 1.5 days to DHS unless you are big Star Wars fans. All that said, even though we enjoy SW, we can't do more than 1 full day at DHS. We don't do the shows either. However, we can easily fill 2 full days at MK. There is just more to do. All that said, I know it's your first visit so you may be trying to cram a lot in to make it worth your while but if it were me and I felt compelled to hit a park for that day, I would do Magic Kingdom but I'm partial since it's my favorite park.

I've learned this from my recent trips (with younger kids though).

Going to a park on arrival day sounds fun.. especially if you are getting to your hotel around lunch, but for my family it just seems to be too much and wear us out with some VERY grumpy kids and parents in the late afternoon to early evening as we try and squeeze in things in a few hours. We may opt for more leisurely options on arrival day like explore your resort, or go to Disney Springs and be sure not to stay out too late.

That being said .. I don't think 1.5 days in DHS is too much, IF the kids like Star Wars .. you could spend the majority of your time on arrival day just in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, thus leaving you your second day to explore the rest of the park.

I'd leave arrival day flexible...honestly when I arrive in the midday/afternoon I'm inclined to either do MK because the FP situation is easier to deal with OR world showcase because I can amble through at my own pace.

ETA: If I actually MAKE it to a park....

Thanks Guys! I am leaning towards doing MK for the afternoon and then heading to the hotel for a swim and get everyone in bed "early". While the older kids and the parents are SW fans, the little guys aren't that into it.
Any other advice for us???

We have, in the past, always done MK on arrival day for 2-3 hours. We do that because since my kids have gotten older, MK is really just a 1 day park (or at least not 2 full days) so going the 1st afternoon/evening for a little bit, we can do frontierland/adventure land and save the rest for the full day.

:welcome: To the DIS @CSB11743!

(I’d do MK on your arrival day - go hit your 3 FPs, grab some Mickey Bars, then back to the room for a quick swim and sleep!)

Are you going to have water-parks on your tickets? We generally do a water-park on the first day so not to burn a park day since it's mid-day before we would even get there. Now, if that's not an option and you are definitely going to the parks I would do HS on that first day. You don't need more than two full days at MK.

When are you arriving and where are you staying? Especially with waking up at 4 am, I would try to make your plans as relaxed as possible.

When are you arriving and where are you staying? Especially with waking up at 4 am, I would try to make your plans as relaxed as possible.

we arrive November 11 around 9 AM and are staying at POR. I figured we should be able to be at a park by 1pm.

we arrive November 11 around 9 AM and are staying at POR. I figured we should be able to be at a park by 1pm.
When I estimate we could be at a park by --- is usually several hours later. The family are just excited to be there and want to check out the hotel, the arcade, gift shop, pool, etc.

With you arriving so early in the day, I would for sure be heading to a park. Our plane always lands around 1:00 and I'm in a park before 4:00 every trip. Just can't keep me away! I change around which park we go to that first day depending on what's happening the rest of the trip, but given this is your first time there, I would definitely recommend MK. Nothing says welcome to WDW more than a walk down Main St. The early closing will give you a good excuse to not push it too much, but you will still have at least 4 hours of park time which is plenty to see and do quite a bit in MK. Also, you will have much more success getting good fastpasses for MK on arrival day than you will for HS.

I would choose whichever would be least stressful for you. If MK allows you to do a few rides and just tour in a relaxed manner, that may be the way to go. Maybe also consider simply checking out the resort and/or getting on the boat and going to DS. The last time DS11 and I did an early morning flight to WDW, we attempted to go to EP for the afternoon/evening and ended up back in our hotel by 4 pm because we were exhausted and had to take a nap.

I have a very similar situation (arriving at 9:20 am, plan to go to HS in the afternoon) - and we are going to do it all, sort of! I think we are just going to be okay with finding places to sit and chill when we get tired. Our priority is Star Wars, and we REALLY want to see it at night (everyone says it looks so cool), so we will just have to make it until the end of the day (despite the early morning). I did though decide to cut out a visit to DS in between based on advice from all the experts here. https://www.disboards.com/threads/first-day-itinerary-mco-to-ds-to-wl-to-dhs.3771044/#post-61103688

Thanks for directing me to this thread- I too am feeling the stress of "overplaying"; I even had a nightmare about not having a map at Animal Kingdom last night and walking in circles at rope drop o_O We are not doing Disney Springs; can't fit it all in!
Since we switched from HS to MK arrival day, we are not doing any dining reservations- wish me luck!!

Thanks Guys! I am leaning towards doing MK for the afternoon and then heading to the hotel for a swim and get everyone in bed "early". While the older kids and the parents are SW fans, the little guys aren't that into it.
Any other advice for us???
This is probably your best option.
As mentioned FPs are much easier to get in MK due to the number of rides there.
I would spend some time there, then head back to the resort, relax, enjoy the pool.
I suspect the boys will be tired after that early of a morning.

If you can eat at POR before you go to MK, that would help you avoid the crowds at quick service since you would be getting there at prime lunch time. You don't want to get to MK with hungry kids and then have to worry about where to eat. If you want to eat in the park, you can always check the app for last minute ADRs or just plan on any number of good quick service places. We enjoy Columbia Harbor House for QS and like the quieter seating upstairs. Menus for all Disney restaurants and QS are online if you didn't already know.

When my kids were in that age range we would forego a partial park day on arrival day. A good option might be to go to Disney Springs instead of a park. Grab a bite to eat, tour the World of Disney store, check out all the other cool stores that interest you. Wrap it up early and then get a running start the next day. When my kids were about that age they'd be extra grumpy the next day or so if we pushed them too hard on travel days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter