How's late August for crowds and heat?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
We have always enjoyed going to WDW in the off season when kids are in school, crowds are minimal and temperatures are mild. Now that my daughter is in first grade, we can't just take off in the middle of September or March like we used to. We refuse to go to Florida in the middle of the summer because it is just too darn hot and much too crowded in the parks. But I've heard some people say that the last week of August isn't nearly as bad. Apparently, some of the Southern states, Florida included, start school in mid-August so the local crowd dies down.

So can anyone comment on how the crowds are the last week of August. Also, is it usually as hot as earlier in the summer or is it starting to cool a little by then. We don't really want to go if it will be 90+ degrees every day, even if it isn't that crowded.

Thanks for any input.

Steve

http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USFL0372

I just checked out weather channel's averages and records for you, posted the link above. We too are thinking about an August vay-cay now that the kids are starting school. Unfortunately, August appears to be just as hot as July and hotter than June....hope this helps!

Can you take advantage of 'Jersey Week' in early November?

We just went to Disney World in August of this year. I think the crowds start to die down in the later part of August, since most schools have started by that time. The longest we waited for a ride was 20 minutes (The Great Movie Ride); however, we also used FastPass quite a bit, which made things go alot faster! We rode Spaceship Earth about 10 times during our stay, which is the most I've ever riden it in one vacation span. We made two PS, one was needed (lunch at Sci-Fi) and one probably wasn't needed (lunch at Coral Reef). Otherwise we just went right into the restaurants and usually got seated.

The heat was pretty bad (from an Indiana guy's perspective). I can tolerate heat with no problem, but it would get real humid at some points of the day and that is what killed me. But when it wasn't humid, I was doing just fine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input. So it sounds like the crowds won't be a problem and we'd just have to deal with the heat. That might not be so bad. We always get an early start and arrive at the parks before opening, so we can head out at lunchtime when the heat peaks.

And yes, we did "Jersey Week" this year and it was great. Beautiful weather and minimal crowds. Longest we waited for anything was 10 minutes. We may do it again next year, but we're also trying to plan a cruise so we have to decide which vacation to do when.

Thanks again,
Steve

Hi! I live 2 hours from the World, and I can assure you that August is still SWELTERING hot. We had temps in the 90s this August, and the humidity just hits you like a brick wall.

Personally, I think the day after Labor Day is a GREAT time to go to avoid crowds. Sure, the oppressive heat is still there, but the crowds were so low we were literally done with the Magic Kingdom by 3pm, and this is with a toddler and preschooler, and having gone on several rides more than one time.

Good luck in your decision! :)

We always go the end of August so we do not have to worry about taking the kids out of school or dealing with huge crowds. Yes it is extremely hot, but I think Disney World does a good job of helping beat the heat. There is lots of shade, misters, and airconditioned spaces. You can also hit the pools in the warmest part of the day and head back to the parks later in the afternoon. I like the fact that it's warm well into the evening for a late night swim too! Keep hydrated, take lots of breaks, dress cool and you should be fine.

We have gone the last two weeks in August several times. It is HOT, but the crowds are much thinner and the parks have many innovative ways to beat the heat. It got to be a pain to take the kids out of school. We tried June and July and found the tail end of August to be best.

HTH

Thanks for all the replies. We'll definitely give it some thought. We've been there during the summer so we know what the heat is like, but if the crowds aren't so bad, I don't think we'd mind the heat as much. Of course, me may opt for the August cruise and November WDW trip. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Steve

We too always went on the off season. Now w/ DD in school we decided to go the last week of August so not to pull her out of school. Well it was very hot and the crowds were much heavier then in late September or early December, which is when we use to go. We have decided that it is in fact worth pulling her out and are now trying late January. We will not go in August again!

My two cents on end of August...we went this past year and the crowds were minimal. The heat was oppressive and the air conditioning was a blessing.

All that being said...keep in mind that when we went, the park hours were shortened which made a huge difference in our "game plan" on touring the parks. Plan accordingly and have a wonderful trip!

cntrygrl

I loved going the last two weeks of August. Usually the parks is at least open to 9:00 p.m. We get low crowds. I like going when's it warm at least know a little rain but not much the weather is be great. I southern so i know heat in Auguest. Plus I work outside in the heat so i know keep cool. Dry pently of water and powerade. I switch up a alot between to replace fluilds in my body. But at work I go into the beer cooler to get cool off. Where a hat on head and sunglasses.

I planning on going August 2003.

August is great time to go.

We were at US/IOA for 3 nights this past August 22, then we were suppose to move on to the Yacht Club for 5 nights but never made it. We had a death in the family, my brother in law died suddenly, and we flew home right away. But I will never go again in August, sorry. It was so hot and Universal was crowded. It was our first time to US/IOA and I have to say we all (myself, DH, and two teen sons) like WDW so much better. If you do decide to go in August, plan to spend a lot of time at the pool in the middle of the day, it's way to hot for much else.

RobinLyn:D

I have been there several times in August and love it. We were there in the middle of AUgust this past summer and it was hotter in Jersey than it was in Florida. We did have a lot of rain.

My favorite time in August to go is the week that ends with Labor Day. The weekdays before the Labor Day weekend were very quiet two years ago. It only started to get busy on late Thurs and Friday and Sat was very busy but we were leaving so it didn't matter.

I love to visit in August.

Originally posted by delikado
How about September?
September is probably my favorite month to go. We've been there Labor Day week as well as later in the month quite a few times. The weather is still nice but no too hot. The crowds are small since all the kids have recently returned to school and generally only families without school age children are there. Its also off-season as far as hotel rates are concerned.

Steve

I went three years in a row the last two weeks of August. I went with a travel day camp. That alone should scare you. 50 young teens "supervised" by 5 counselors who drop us off at the park with "we'll be in the park with you. Meet us at the castle at 6:00 for your food money". This is at nine in the morning mind you. So not only is it HOTTTTTTTTTTTT but you'll have to deal with a few camp groups.

I found the crowds to be quite terrible as well. I guess thats because I'm used to the off season.

This past September I planned my family vacation with my parents. We flew out of JFK on September 11 (yeah NOT my idea). It was amazing though. The parks were EMPTY the entire week. It was definately worth it. The weather was on the warm side, but not unbearable. I liked it. The most we waited for a ride was like 7 minutes.

Since the parks were empty, the personal attention from Cast Members was great. They would get into character, go out of their way to start conversations, share Disney trivia, and make our trip more enjoyable.

One TOT bellhop held an old suitcase and ran up to my brother while we were walking through to the preshow, exclaiming, "SIR! You forgot your luggage!" He followed us through the line and even sat next to us on the ride. Quite a nice guy too.

Taking your kids out of school is worth it. There is such a difference in your vacation when the resort isn't anywhere near full.

Sounds like September is the time to go... But isn't that still considered hurricane season? I realize of course that the weather in Orlando is unpredictable, but it sounds like no one's gotten washed out in September? Anyone?

Originally posted by delikado
Sounds like September is the time to go... But isn't that still considered hurricane season? I realize of course that the weather in Orlando is unpredictable, but it sounds like no one's gotten washed out in September? Anyone?

September is hurricane season in the Caribbean and I wouldn't risk taking a cruise. But for whatever reason, central Florida is usually spared the major storms. There was that one hurricane a few years back that actually closed the park for the first time ever, but that was an extremely rare occurrence. As I've said, we've done both early and late September numerous times without a problem.

Steve

July and early August are definitely the worst for crowds. So, late August maybe okay, but it is still very hot in Orlando until mid-September, I believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter