How You All Doing

florida sun

Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe!
Hello everyone
I hope you are all well and staying safe.

How are you all doing and did you cope ok through Lockdown. I know a lot of restrictions in England have been lifted, we are doing things a littke slower here in Wales which Im more than happy with.

Ive been furloghed now best part of 10 weeks and it could be another 3 weeks before Im back to work. I have missed all my frinds so much. Living on my own I found quite difficult through all of this but i go out just once a week to do my 85 years old dads shopping and thank god the weather has been amazing, and although I dont have a garden I do have a small balcony which has been very welcome.

Holidays all cancelled this year but I was extremly lucky to be at WDW last November and it was brilliant.

Hope everyone is doing well

Sue

I work in the food industry so it’s been work as normal, with the added fun of putting a new bathroom in

I'm also in Wales, I'm pretty happy with how it's being done here too. I think England are rushing it a bit. Been a bit low today, for no real reason, had planned to do some crafting, but, sat on the sofa binge watching Disney+ instead.
I'm still down for September at Pop, but, I don't think Trump will lift the restrictions in time, but, who knows Ron De Santis may want the Florida tourist industry up and running again sooner rather than later.
Everyone stay safe and enjoy the lovely weather even if your neighbours put way too much bbq lighter fluid on their charcoal and it's reeking and smokey in my garden, at least I'm not eating the food. Fried Spam sandwiches tonight for me, yummy!!

Hey!

I’m in Scotland although normally based in Rwanda, I was stupidly drawn back to the UK because of covid-19 even though the Rwandan response is amazing and putting us to shame (only 1 death in 4 months).

I have to say, I feel a little low, I’m also due to be in WDW AKL then on the Disney Dream in Sep but with my free dining gone and all my plans evaporating and still no comms from Disney, I’m starting to lean towards full cancellation. I don’t think the borders will be open in either direction at this rate and it’s too much money to risk when your temperature could destroy any part of the trip. It’s all too sad.

oh well back to working...

hope others are feeling cheerier than me, I’m having an Eeyore day!

I'm in Wales, and I have to say I have more confidence in how Welsh government are doing things as compared to England, although I think it's still a bit too early to lift restrictions. I'm doing OK, my place of work had to transition overnight to working from home and it all happened fairly smoothly, our IT infrastructure has been moving towards online stuff gradually anyway. So mostly, it's all fairly normal for me, working full time during the week. The big problem, which is starting to hit me more now, is not seeing my loved ones over the weekend, specifically my Mum and my partner. It's been 3 months and possibly that much still to go before I could actually hug them again. Mum also is in a care home, she's 91 and very frail, and tested positive 3 weeks ago...has been in isolation and developed no symptoms so she's now considered all-clear. None of the other residents are staff tested positive, so it's odd...but she was in hospital for stitches after a fall 5 weeks ago so she could have picked it up there.

Its all well to say its early to lift restrictions but that doesn't help the damage that is doing to people's jobs and the economy we need people back at work paying taxes to pay nhs wages

Its all well to say its early to lift restrictions but that doesn't help the damage that is doing to people's jobs and the economy we need people back at work paying taxes to pay nhs wages

How many extra deaths do you think it's worth for you to be able to get down to your B&Q or your local cafe? Woudl you be willign to sacrifice a member of your family to ensure that the economy is open quicker? thosuands of lives have alreazdfy been lost becuase the govenment didn't lock down quickly enough, for the sake of the economy. If you want a properly funded NHS and other public services then maybe getting rid of a government intent of runnign them down would be the best idea.

It's all very well to say open the economy, but we have to esnure that the virus is under control first, or there'll be no people to have an economy.

You are born you live you die. Shutting down the economy to the point that people can't afford to live is too far. This argument on how many people do you want to die is fatuous the who have already said they don't think coronovirus will ever go away its here to stay. So how long do you want the country on the ridiculous lock down

You are born you live you die. Shutting down the economy to the point that people can't afford to live is too far. This argument on how many people do you want to die is fatuous the who have already said they don't think coronovirus will ever go away its here to stay. So how long do you want the country on the ridiculous lock down

I think therefore we can take it that you would willingly sacrifice yourself or a member of your family in order to end the lockdown.

Well done, you've shown yourself up.

All countries that have released restrictions some time ago have seen an increase in cases. Johnson's herd immunity policy caused far more deaths than necessary, thne death toll is double what they hoped for. Sweden has admitted that their lax lockdown policy caused more deaths than necessary. Trumps' failure to take it serioudly caused untold deaths. Therefore not enforcing this "ridiculous" lockdown before the virus in under control actually causes deaths. Someone, somewhere will die because of it. I guess you're OK with that as long is it's not a member of your family.

How I long do I want the country to be on sensible lockdown? Until science proves that the virus is under control. Not because people like you say so.

So come on, would you be willing to sacrifice a member of your family in order to end the lockdown tomorrow in order to save the economy? Someone, somewhere will die that otherwise would not have done. Are you happy for that to be in your family?

I am a key worker so I have not been on lockdown at all. Secondly they have already said the virus is here to stay they have said the virus may never be got under control so for you lockdown should never end

I am a key worker so I have not been on lockdown at all. Secondly they have already said the virus is here to stay they have said the virus may never be got under control so for you lockdown should never end

No, read what I said. I said until the virus is under control. I didn't say until it was eradicated. Under control, in case you didn't know, means that it won't run rampant with escalating and exponential infections and deaths.

I ask again for the third time are you willing to sacrifice a member of your family if it ensure the lockdown ended, say, tomorrow? Because someone, soemwhere will die unnecessarily if that happens.

I know you won't answer because there is no answer you could give that would not undermine your own argument. I have answered all your questions.

Hi All
Thanks for the replies, gentle reminder to keep it nice & friendly!
Under normal circumstances politics is not allowed on here, it’s a very emotive subject & can and has caused very bad feelings on here in the past hence why it’s a banned subject, but I do realise the virus is almost impossible to talk about without bringing politics into it or at least the goverment. However I wouldn’t want to close it as we don’t get many conversations on here anymore, so be kind!

The point of my post was to see how you are all doing & see how YOU were coping through this pandemic regardless of wether you think the lockdown is right or wrong.

If the last few months have taught me anything, it’s to appreciate all the front line workers including care, shops, and all those who have put their life on the line for others, but it’s also made me put a few things in perspective in my own personal life. I look after my 85 year old dad & he’s been my priority!
I think this will change a lot of us, I’m now working from home & my company is bringing people back slowly & safely which I am very glad about.
Welcome to all the newbies I’ve not spoken to before! :chat:

I have found it all quite stressful with constantly having to check for updates countless times a day, we are normally so excited in the run up to the trip but all this uncertainty has been horrible, we just cancelled our 16 night at GCV and moved it to February, as it doesn't look like we will be allowed to fly in to the US from the UK due to the Covid-19 restrictions.

The cancellation wouldn't go through online so I called and waited 50 minutes, the lady cancelled the booking but said she was unable to rebook us as they wasn't sure when California would reopen bookings, I told her it was available online but she still said she couldn't do it, so I just rebooked it myself online.

it's sad not to be going in September but hopefully come February we will be over the worst of the virus, we wasn't looking forward to wearing a mask all day in the heat.

Hi Sue!
for me not being in work was fine at first but now i want to get back to some sort of normality even though the first 3 weeks of being furloughed i got the house sorted, etc. we have had my mum in law pass away unexpectantly and then my mum fell and broke her hip and is still struggling to walk the past few weeks, she's fed up with it all !!
I'm so glad that the weather through most of lock down was glorious it made it bearable!

American/Teacher here with question for you guys--since reopening what is it going like over there? I know your school calendar follows ours by about a month, if I remember correctly. We usually go down late July or early August (and its so nice to see all the UK folks during this time just beginning their holidays--you guys are friendly and I almost always find myself chatting with UK teachers and we compare our school systems). As we look toward starting back in August--as you can imagine there is incredible anxiety on everyone's end here as our case numbers have gotten higher during the summer/since reopening. I am curious were schools there able to reopen at all--are you looking to reopen in the fall--and how is it looking (assuming they did reopen)?

Thank you--sorry I didn't mean to hog a UK thread:-), just find it fascinating how this is impacting us all and what its like in other countries. Stay safe and well all (and people over here hotly disagree on the lockdowns and economy and such too--while I also don't want to spark political debate--it does sound like debate and disagreement is everywhere--and likely just a side effect of this crazy scary time)...wishing you all well. Pixie dust for a vaccine. I too really want to see things go back to normal (and yes, it seems common here too that there are good days and days where you are just a big down).

It’s been l8fe pretty much as normal for me. Haven’t stopped working at all through the shutdown just made sure to keep the letter proving I was a key worker in the car

American/Teacher here with question for you guys--since reopening what is it going like over there? I know your school calendar follows ours by about a month, if I remember correctly. We usually go down late July or early August (and its so nice to see all the UK folks during this time just beginning their holidays--you guys are friendly and I almost always find myself chatting with UK teachers and we compare our school systems). As we look toward starting back in August--as you can imagine there is incredible anxiety on everyone's end here as our case numbers have gotten higher during the summer/since reopening. I am curious were schools there able to reopen at all--are you looking to reopen in the fall--and how is it looking (assuming they did reopen)?

Thank you--sorry I didn't mean to hog a UK thread:-), just find it fascinating how this is impacting us all and what its like in other countries. Stay safe and well all (and people over here hotly disagree on the lockdowns and economy and such too--while I also don't want to spark political debate--it does sound like debate and disagreement is everywhere--and likely just a side effect of this crazy scary time)...wishing you all well. Pixie dust for a vaccine. I too really want to see things go back to normal (and yes, it seems common here too that there are good days and days where you are just a big down).

My daughter teaches at a boarding school in England. Term starts on about 4 September. All overseas boarders have been asked to return 14 days before hand and they will be quarantined in school. My daughter lives at the school and has been warned that it is likely that no visitors, other than essential staff, will be allowed on school grounds until perhaps December and staff living on school property will be asked not to leave, other than for emergency appointments. All school trips have been cancelled indefinitely.
There has been no announcement about September for state schools in Wales. Some have re opened for a few weeks at the end of this summer term, but children seem to be attending on a rota basis, so just a few hours/days a week.
Unfortunately, teachers are receiving some negative press here as some teaching unions are unhappy with their members being asked to work without protective equipment (and they have just been included in a public sector above inflation pay rise).

My daughter was lucky not to be furloughed and she has worked throughout the lockdown. The school stayed open for the children of essential workers, not just for their own pupils but also for local state school pupils. Even now she is ‘at work’ preparing for the new term. Children who were expecting to take external exams important for University entrance etc have required (and received) a great deal of emotional support. So have some of the parents!😂
Until schools reopen fully, it is difficult to see how people can fully return to work and allow the economy to recover. Stay safe and well.

Thank you so much! You echo my thoughts too...its about to get real interesting this fall. I think many Americans get forgetful this is happening everywhere in the world and its not just us. I do keep hearing people point out that schools are reopening in the rest of the world, but the more research I look up, indicates nothing has really been "normal" in reopened schools (rotating students, social distancing, etc.).

Heya.
So. Scottish schools would start back in August and England/Welsh school start in September.
I don't know much about what's due to happen in Scotland. I know they didn't go back at all before the summer holidays (except key workers who attended throughout) and that they have a much better handle on the disease than England does.

In England it varies so so much. Central guidance came late and contradicted statements made elsewhere by the government. I work with a lot of primary schools across a couple of boroughs, but found that even within the same education authority and a very small area there was huge difference between schools and their communities response.

Some schools went back for the last 5 weeks of school. Others went back much later. All had smaller bubbles/classes of kids. Some opened just for a few year groups, others opened for more. Some took kids almost full time, most were part time, with plenty of variance in the patterns. Some schools most came back, others hardly any. Some schools had kids throughout, others closed, others were hubs and hosted kids from several schools. Some reception classes (4-5yrs - yep! The gov decided they were the best to go back first!) practiced social distancing (poor kids on their own at desks in rows), others didn't within their bubbles. All spent more time outdoors.
There was no requirement to send your kids back if their school was open to their age group.

In September some schools who came up with a way that worked for them are continuing it until October half term when they will reassess. Others will be welcoming the whole school for the first time and are redoing all their plans. Most of these are now thinking of class bubbles of 30, often with year group bubbles (maybe just outside). For older kids more desk work and personal equipment, for younger years less furniture to allow spreading out and more outdoor time.
Staff are staying with their groups more and not gathering in the staff room. Attention is being given to drop off/pick up, staggering it and again lunch and breaks are staggered. Cleaning throughout the day. Supervised hand washing. Parents not coming into schools.
Attendance is expected from September. Shielding is allegedly ending in August. Localised lockdowns may be a thing.

I know nothing about secondary schools. Think most kids got to go in for a day or two of focussed work in small groups over the last few weeks of term.

You can read through the guidance if it's of interest, and the out of school club ones. Lots of space for interpretation. Masks not used except if symptoms are shown. Covid numbers are down at present. Attitudes may be very different if they've crept up significantly by September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!